PDA

View Full Version : Got the new Droid Thunderbolt

LittleLebowski
03-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Did a speed test this morning with my AT&T iPhone 3gs against a coworker's Droid Thunderbolt. .3 meg download speed on the iPhone versus 3.2 megs on the Droid. Not to mention the screen, replaceable batteries, etc....

Anyway, it's bitchin'. That is all.

Savage Hands
03-17-2011, 02:57 PM
I love the Android OS and all the options of different hardware configurations, carriers and ability to customize. I'm on an EVO now but will upgrade to Sprint's Dual Core replacement this Summer.

BCL
03-17-2011, 05:37 PM
I got the thunderbolt today as well. Can't seem to type as fast with it as I can with my iPhone 4, but the LTE speeds in st Pete are crazy fast. I must say that I love the unlimited data though.

ToddG
03-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Can't seem to type as fast with it as I can with my iPhone 4

Given how often I'm tempted to put a round of 124gr lead through my iPhone because it's so hard to type on, that is a pretty damning comment.

Savage Hands
03-17-2011, 05:43 PM
I got the thunderbolt today as well. Can't seem to type as fast with it as I can with my iPhone 4, but the LTE speeds in st Pete are crazy fast. I must say that I love the unlimited data though.

Try Swype, it's pretty useful at times.

MTechnik
03-17-2011, 05:48 PM
...or a Droid 2, with an actual keyboard.

logitech bluetooth?

and yeah, swype rocks.

BCL
03-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Given how often I'm tempted to put a round of 124gr lead through my iPhone because it's so hard to type on, that is a pretty damning comment.

I usually am a texting ninja on my iphone, with the thunderbolt i can type 2 or 3 letters and only have one make it through. I think this is because the letters pop up as you are typing them and i go to fast, so it thinks that i meant a different letter. I'm using it as i type this and it is almost painfully slow. I'd estimate that i am about 10-15 words per minute slower than with my iphone 4.

willowofwisp
03-17-2011, 06:03 PM
I can type pretty quick on my EVO which is nearly the same as the bolt, I have tried about four different keyboards and still go back to the default.

MTechnik
03-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Assuming I understood the question, no. Built in pullout keyboard. I went from the droid X to the Droid2 because I couldn't stand typing on a touch screen anymore.

Ah, some folks with android phones have used a mini-keyboard from logitech that connects to the phone via bluetooth. Here is the link. (http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=GLMF17133&src=sim)

JV_
03-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Here is the link. (http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=GLMF17133&src=sim)

That's my kind of keyboard .... made by Glock!

MTechnik
03-17-2011, 06:56 PM
That's my kind of keyboard .... made by Glock!

herp derp (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3848) - my bad.

LittleLebowski
03-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Having no problems with typing.

BCL
03-17-2011, 07:16 PM
I downloaded tapatalk and that makes the typing much easier/quicker than when i was using the browser.

John Ralston
03-17-2011, 07:50 PM
I downloaded tapatalk and that makes the typing much easier/quicker than when i was using the browser.

How so? When I use tapatalk I get the same touch screen as before...am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

BCL
03-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Same keyboard, I just seem to have less problems typing fast when I'm using tapatalk. I guess it could also just be me getting used to the keyboard. I turned off the autocomplete and the international spelling help thing also so tha t could be a factor as well.

LittleLebowski
03-17-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm still giddy over the speed, both of the software and the network.

BCL
03-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Same here. 4G (technically pre 4G, since the standard hasn't been set yet) is faster than the hotel wireless and almost as fast as the broadband back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KentF
03-18-2011, 08:41 AM
I have a Motorola Droid and I never use the slide out keypad. I use an app called "ThickButtons" that improved the on-screen keypad for me. You might want to give it a try.

SecondsCount
03-18-2011, 09:11 AM
My wife has the Motorola Droid X and that thing is a rocket on our home wifi network. It is a large phone but the screen is nice for viewing web pages, videos, etc. She uses Swype to type but I prefer the keyboard on my Blackberry. The Droid Pro looks like a good alternative.

She took this panoramic picture up in West Yellowstone when we were snowmobiling last weekend that I thought was pretty cool. It automatically blends several photographs together:
http://home.comcast.net/~train2live/misc/wyellowpanoramic800.jpg

BCL
03-18-2011, 10:36 AM
I did a speed test between my iphone 4 and 4g on my thunderbolt today. The iphone downloaded at 2mbps and the thunderbolt at 24mbps. So the 4g network is roughly 10x faster than 3g.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Rverdi
03-18-2011, 11:09 AM
The Thunderbolt looks pretty slick, but unfortunately it's only on Verizon. The lack of simultaneous voice and data is a deal breaker for me.

JV_
03-18-2011, 11:10 AM
So the 4g network is roughly 10x faster than 3g.For now ... wait until the 4G phones are in the hands of more people.

LittleLebowski
03-18-2011, 11:11 AM
The Thunderbolt looks pretty slick, but unfortunately it's only on Verizon. The lack of simultaneous voice and data is a deal breaker for me.

Negative, Ghostrider. It does do that. First phone to do that on LTE.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/01/19/htc-thunderbolt-supports-simultaneous-voice-and-data-on-verizon-4g-lte/

Rverdi
03-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Unfortunately those LTE coverage areas are still pretty thin, once they expand sufficiently it'll be a nice alternative to AT&T for sure.

LittleLebowski
03-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately those LTE coverage areas are still pretty thin, once they expand sufficiently it'll be a nice alternative to AT&T for sure.

Verizon 3g is faster and far more widespread than AT&T 3g. (AT&T shown first).

http://www.cellularmaps.com/image/att_3g_11a.jpg

http://www.cellularmaps.com/image/vzw_3g_c.jpg

BCL
03-18-2011, 11:28 AM
For now ... wait until the 4G phones are in the hands of more people.

Even with a ton of users, LTE will still be significantly faster than 3G, just given the way the two different technologies work.

Rverdi
03-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I guess I've been lucky, I can't remember the last time I didn't have coverage. I'm heading to the middle of Alabama in a few weeks, we'll see :)

JV_
03-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Even with a ton of users, LTE will still be significantly faster than 3G, just given the way the two different technologies work. Agreed. I'm just saying that the difference you feel/see now won't be the same in 18 months.

BCL
03-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Agreed. I'm just saying that the difference you feel/see now won't be the same in 18 months.

Agreed, I'm basking in the speed right now. It's faster to be on my thunderbolt than it is on my computer.

LittleLebowski
03-23-2011, 10:11 AM
17megs download speeds from speedtest.net. That's....crazy. I consistently get over 12 megs.

Identical battery life to my iPhone 3gs. I'm getting used to this OS and am digging it.

da6dspanburg
06-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Alright, you all convinced me to upgrade my phone (it was dying anyway......) and I got the ThunderBolt from the Verizon Store. So my question is, what are the highly recommended gotta have apps and updates I should get.

thanks
david

NickA
06-16-2011, 09:12 AM
There was a thread in the Romper Room a while back with some suggestions, but Tapatalk is a must, makes wasting time on forums way too easy. Others I like: Astro file manager, Cardio Trainer, Pandora radio, Newsrob RSS reader.

Alright, you all convinced me to upgrade my phone (it was dying anyway......) and I got the ThunderBolt from the Verizon Store. So my question is, what are the highly recommended gotta have apps and updates I should get.

thanks
david

da6dspanburg
06-17-2011, 06:22 AM
There was a thread in the Romper Room a while back with some suggestions, but Tapatalk is a must, makes wasting time on forums way too easy. Others I like: Astro file manager, Cardio Trainer, Pandora radio, Newsrob RSS reader.

Thanks.

fuse
08-01-2011, 12:45 AM
finally rooted my TBolt.

not as easy as the 1 click root on my Evo back in the day, but still not too bad.

LL, what rom are you digging these days? can a zelda get a link?

LittleLebowski
08-01-2011, 09:22 AM
finally rooted my TBolt.

not as easy as the 1 click root on my Evo back in the day, but still not too bad.

LL, what rom are you digging these days? can a zelda get a link?

I am running Das BAMF Sense 3.0 RC 4.9 (http://teambamf.net/showthread.php/331-GINGERBREAD-Das-BAMF-Sense-3.0-RC4.9). You WILL need to flash a new radio which is easy.

fuse
08-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Awesome, many thanks.

fuse
08-02-2011, 08:53 AM
This is amazing. Love the quick launch apps on the lock screen in sense 3.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to do this.

Do you underclock to save battery? I am running at 768mhz and can't really tell any difference in performance.

LittleLebowski
08-02-2011, 08:55 AM
I don't underclock but I do have the 2750 mAh extended life HTC battery. Absolutely a must-have.