PDA

View Full Version : Which manufacturer produces the best 10-round magazines for full-sized pistols?

matto
09-14-2020, 07:42 PM
I'm in a 10-round limit state. I'm learning this not only limits my capacity, but my ability to buy normally functioning firearms.

- Glock: widely reported to be less reliable, particularly with defense ammo (no need for link)
- CZ: reliability problems (link) (https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=53164.0)
- M&P: hard to load 10th round because spring is overcompressed (link) (http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/203481-m-p-9mm-10-round-magazine.html)
- Beretta: hard to load 10th round because spring is overcompressed (link) (https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407292)

Which full-sized pistol offers the most normally functioning 10-round versions? Both in terms of reliability and ease of use?

I'd like to think at least someone would be creative enough to design a 10-round mag that is not only equally reliable, but that uses the extra space in the mag so the spring isn't fully compressed when full. This makes 10 rounds easy to load and puts minimal stress on the spring for long-term storage

Is this just a pipe dream?
b

ssb
09-14-2020, 07:48 PM
Honestly? A 10 shot .45 of some flavor.

Clusterfrack
09-14-2020, 07:54 PM
Mec-Gar CZ P10c 10 round mags seem to be good to go for P-07 and P10c.

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory-mecgar-actmag-c-173/cz-p10-c-reverse-or-cz-p07-9mm-10-rd-factory-magazine-11421-p-1781.html?zenid=ihjaehok0a4sbihqfsfsq3d592

I think cheby has vetted Mec-Gar 10 round mags in his Shadow2s.

Joe in PNG
09-14-2020, 07:55 PM
Honestly? A 10 shot .45 of some flavor.

I'll second that. Or go with a Glock 26 or 43x.

Wonder9
09-14-2020, 07:56 PM
Beretta 92 10 rounders

matto
09-14-2020, 07:59 PM
I'll second that. Or go with a Glock 26 or 43x.

Something in .45 is potentially interesting...

Glock 43x type gun is definitely in the cards for carry etc, but I'm trying to understand the full-sized options (for target sports, etc)

Beretta 92 10 rounders

Are you familiar with how they work? Do they load nicely? The link I posted above describes people not being able to load the 10th round. That's just a stupid design with all that free space in the magazine.

matto
09-14-2020, 08:00 PM

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory-mecgar-actmag-c-173/cz-p10-c-reverse-or-cz-p07-9mm-10-rd-factory-magazine-11421-p-1781.html?zenid=ihjaehok0a4sbihqfsfsq3d592

Thanks. Do you happen to know how it's designed? Is the spring fully compressed with 10 rounds in the mag? Or does the spring use the full lenght, so the spring is as if the full mag was 2/3 loaded?

Wise_A
09-14-2020, 08:09 PM
I've never really had a problem with the G-Lock 10-rounders (26-, 19-, and 17-size) regardless of ammunition type. Probably eleven or twelve magazines total. And I 've had zero problems with 10-round H&K .45s.

If you're not in competition, why not go to a single-stack 9mm with an 8- or 9-round capacity, or a G43X (10-round), or a G48? Alternatively, you could also try out a 9mm 1911.

GJM
09-14-2020, 08:14 PM
Ten round VP9/P30 mags have worked for me.

pangloss
09-14-2020, 08:23 PM
I have a few hundred rounds through a couple of 10 round Beretta APX Centurion mags without any problems. Standard capacity is 15, so these are significantly limited.

revchuck38
09-14-2020, 08:25 PM
Beretta 92 10 rounders

I had four of these, plus four Mecgar 10 rounders, and they all loaded and worked well. The Beretta factory 10 rounders have depressions on each side of the mag which make them almost into single stack mags internally.

Xrslug
09-14-2020, 08:43 PM
Have never had any issues with:
HK 10-round “elephant foot” .45 ACP mags (USP 45 compact / HK45 compact)
Beretta 92 10-round mags
FN Hi-Power 10-round mags

I have no personal experience, but have never heard anything bad about:
HK45 full size mags

Caballoflaco
09-14-2020, 08:46 PM
deleted double post.

shootist26
09-14-2020, 08:46 PM
There are no issues with factory or mecgar beretta 92 10-round mags. I use them extensively.

The 10th round feels tight on new mag because the spring has not taken a set. Either use a Lula loader or shoot it for a while until loading it gets easier.

The indentation on the side just prevents the magazine follower from going all the way down when loading rounds. It uses rhe exact same magazine spring and follower as the normal capacity magazines.

Caballoflaco
09-14-2020, 08:47 PM
This or another similar thread should be a sticky in this subforum since it gets asked so often, and with elections coming up I imagine we’ll see more threads like it.

matto
09-14-2020, 09:14 PM
This or another similar thread should be a sticky in this subforum since it gets asked so often, and with elections coming up I imagine we’ll see more threads like it.

Figuring out how to produce a coherent answer to these questions would be fantastic. I just spent the last hour searching and didn't find answers to my questions from the original post. In fact, the threads I linked in the OP contradict a lot of the advice provided in this thread. The question may be asked often, but I'm not sure it's answered often.

matto
09-14-2020, 09:21 PM
I've never really had a problem with the G-Lock 10-rounders (26-, 19-, and 17-size) regardless of ammunition type. Probably eleven or twelve magazines total.
I must have read a dozen threads on 10-round glock mags. For every person that says they've had no problem, there's a person that says they have - even after trying all the alternative followers.

And I 've had zero problems with 10-round H&K .45s.
Good to know, thanks. I haven't found a single person complain about H&K yet.

If you're not in competition, why not go to a single-stack 9mm with an 8- or 9-round capacity, or a G43X (10-round), or a G48?
I have no issues buying some single stack glocks. But I do want to try competition and some longer-barrel pistols so I'm looking for input on them.

Alternatively, you could also try out a 9mm 1911.
Not a bad idea.

JonInWA
09-14-2020, 09:23 PM
Beretta 92 and Browning/FN contract 10 rd magazines (in .40). The contract magazines( made by MecGar,) have better followers than the MecGar commercial magazines. Best, Jon

ECVMatt
09-14-2020, 09:23 PM
A couple of thoughts...first I like the Glock 30SF when I am in 10 round states. It fits my large hand, holds 10 rounds, and is also concealable if needed. Obviously, I am using the 10 round magazine.

I also have not had problems with Factory Glock 10 round mags for the 19 and 17. Magpul 10 round mags also work. I have used them in both my 19 and 17.

I realize others have had problem with OEM mags, but mine have all worked well with ball and HP ammo.

Clusterfrack
09-14-2020, 09:24 PM
Thanks. Do you happen to know how it's designed? Is the spring fully compressed with 10 rounds in the mag? Or does the spring use the full lenght, so the spring is as if the full mag was 2/3 loaded?

The 10 round p10c / P-07 mag uses a longer spring, and has dimples in the mag that prevent loading more than 10.

JonInWA
09-14-2020, 09:38 PM
My Glock 10 rounders for my G17, G19 and G21 have all worked well, but I've only used them with ball ammunition. The G21 10 rounder does require two men and a boy to get the 10th cartridge in, though...Best, Jon

matto
09-14-2020, 09:38 PM
There are no issues with factory or mecgar beretta 92 10-round mags. I use them extensively.

Thanks. I've ready may people say that, but also found threads like I linked above saying they can't load 10. Maybe after some time it's fine.

The 10th round feels tight on new mag because the spring has not taken a set. Either use a Lula loader or shoot it for a while until loading it gets easier.

The indentation on the side just prevents the magazine follower from going all the way down when loading rounds. It uses rhe exact same magazine spring and follower as the normal capacity magazines.

Those two sentences seem contradictory, no? If the indentations on the side are stopping the follower, why would the spring feel tight until it's broken in? The spring wouldn't be anywhere near fully compressed. Are the side indentions preventing additional loading, or is it the spring being fully compressed because they just jammed a spacer under it?

matto
09-14-2020, 09:39 PM
The 10 round p10c / P-07 mag uses a longer spring, and has dimples in the mag that prevent loading more than 10.

Thanks. Sounds ideal. So loading the 10th is easy? The spring isn't fully compressed and preventing insertion?

Spartan1980
09-14-2020, 09:46 PM
Something in .45 is potentially interesting...

I never had any issue with my M&P 45 mags. The last round was stiff when new but completely doable without a Uplula loader. They get a bit better after a few loadings.

matto
09-14-2020, 09:49 PM
Thanks. Sounds ideal. So loading the 10th is easy? The spring isn't fully compressed and preventing insertion?

It seems this is absolutely correct. I found this video that shows you can drill out the indentions and it turns into a 15 round mag. So this is *exactly* the design I was looking for. I clearly need to buy a P10c, P07, and P09 (?) now just to support their engineering efforts :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT-sMvFo44E

I'd love to understand if the Beretta design is the same.

shootist26
09-14-2020, 09:49 PM
Thanks. I've ready may people say that, but also found threads like I linked above saying they can't load 10. Maybe after some time it's fine.

Those two sentences seem contradictory, no? If the indentations on the side are stopping the follower, why would the spring feel tight until it's broken in? The spring wouldn't be anywhere near fully compressed. Are the side indentions preventing additional loading, or is it the spring being fully compressed?

As you shoot the pistol, the magazine spring will cycle and "loosen up", making it easier for you to load the 10th round. The cycling is what breaks a spring in and eventually wears it out after many thousands of rounds.

A brand new magazine spring is just stiffer even when not fully compressed. The side indentations on a beretta 92 mag simply stop the follower from being pushed down further to load rounds 11-15. The mag spring isn't fully compressed when you have 10 rounds loaded in a 10-round beeetta 92 magazine

boing
09-14-2020, 09:55 PM
Thanks. I've ready may people say that, but also found threads like I linked above saying they can't load 10.

The Beretta thread you linked is 10 years old. The others aren’t that current, either. Gun makers are iterating regularly these days.

My single 10rd Mecgar mag for my 92FS loads easily. My handful of factory 10rd PX4c mags load and run fine, too, but you asked about full size, so that may not be relevant to you.

matto
09-14-2020, 10:02 PM
As you shoot the pistol, the magazine spring will cycle and "loosen up", making it easier for you to load the 10th round. The cycling is what breaks a spring in and eventually wears it out after many thousands of rounds.

A brand new magazine spring is just stiffer even when not fully compressed. The side indentations on a beretta 92 mag simply stop the follower from being pushed down further to load rounds 11-15. The mag spring isn't fully compressed when you have 10 rounds loaded in a 10-round beeetta 92 magazine

OK I just found this video from Langdon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfV4zu6VulY&feature=youtu.be&t=70) that explains the Beretta mag. As revchuck38 described, the indentions on the side basically turn it into a single-stack mag.

He says it's better than the design where you "chop the bottom of the magazine" but I don't see how it's any different. The end result is that the spring is still fully compressed at full capacity.

The CZ design takes advantage of the free space to in the mag (silver lining?) to produce a spring that is never fully compressed, resulting in a more constant spring rate, easy loading at full capacity, and no spring bind to be concerned about during storage.

matto
09-14-2020, 10:23 PM
The Beretta thread you linked is 10 years old. The others aren’t that current, either. Gun makers are iterating regularly these days.
Fair enough. Happy to hear updated info.

My single 10rd Mecgar mag for my 92FS loads easily. My handful of factory 10rd PX4c mags load and run fine, too, but you asked about full size, so that may not be relevant to you.
Awesome thanks. I was looking at the PX4 also. It's a confusing one though. But I'll spare derailing my own thread with PX4 musings.

olstyn
09-14-2020, 10:27 PM
Walther P99/PPQ M1 10-rounders (I don't know if they make a 10-rounder for the PPQ M2) are basically P99c mags with a gigantic floorplate on them. I haven't personally used them, but based on the fact that my P99c mags have been completely reliable, I'd expect the 10-rounders for the full size guns would be as well:

https://shop.waltherarms.com/images/thumbs/0000238_p99-9mm-10-round.jpeg

shootist26
09-14-2020, 10:40 PM
OK I just found this video from Langdon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfV4zu6VulY&feature=youtu.be&t=70) that explains the Beretta mag. As revchuck38 described, the indentions on the side basically turn it into a single-stack mag.

He says it's better than the design where you "chop the bottom of the magazine" but I don't see how it's any different. The end result is that the spring is still fully compressed at full capacity.

The mecgar beretta mags work exactly like the CZ mags. Its just the dimple that prevents the loading of more than 10 rounds

I'm not entirely sure why you are tilting at windmills about springs being "fully compressed at full capacity." When you load a factory 10 round beretta 92mag, the spring is compressed just like a normal capacity mag due to how the stack geometry changes. After 10 years of competition shooting with my 92 I have noticed zero functional difference with factory vs mecgar 10 round mags, even though they work in slightly different ways. The difficulty in loading a 10 round factory mag literally will go away after a few trips to the range.

I apologize for my confusing previous post. I was referring to mecgar mags which have the dimples in the body to simply block rhe follower. The factory 10 round mags have elongated dimples that slightly change the stack geometry in order to limit the capacity

matto
09-14-2020, 11:01 PM
The mecgar beretta mags work exactly like the CZ mags. Its just the dimple that prevents the loading of more than 10 rounds
Oh cool, thanks.

I'm not entirely sure why you are tilting at windmills about springs being "fully compressed at full capacity." When you load a factory 10 round beretta 92mag, the spring is compressed just like a normal capacity mag due to how the stack geometry changes. After 10 years of competition shooting with my 92 I have noticed zero functional difference with factory vs mecgar 10 round mags, even though they work in slightly different ways. The difficulty in loading a 10 round factory mag literally will go away after a few trips to the range.

Fair enough. All that really matters is reliability.

As long as the law is forcing me to have some empty space in my magazine, it seems a shame not to use it for good. But this is admittedly low on the priority list compared to everything else.

shootist26
09-14-2020, 11:07 PM
Oh cool, thanks.

Fair enough. All that really matters is reliability.

As long as the law is forcing me to have some empty space in my magazine, it seems a shame not to use it for good. But this is admittedly low on the priority list compared to everything else.The problem is that in mag ban states, the law is written so that a cripple mag cannot also be "readily converted" to a normal mag. That's why companies like beretta have been extra conservative by building a different mag body for their 10 round mags to make it essentially impossible to fit more rounds.

Simply using a 15 round mag and putting a baseplate block in wouldnt fly.

Caballoflaco
09-14-2020, 11:20 PM
The problem is that in mag ban states, the law is written so that a cripple mag cannot also be "readily converted" to a normal mag. That's why companies like beretta have been extra conservative by building a different mag body for their 10 round mags to make it essentially impossible to fit more rounds.

Simply using a 15 round mag and putting a baseplate block in wouldnt fly.

The other problem is that if somebody could take a hydraulic press and insert an 11th round into a magazine without the magazine exploding then that equates to an illegal magazine under the law.

That’s why the last round is often difficult to load on neutered mags. The manufacturers have to build them so that no matter how worn out the spring is you’ll never be able to get that 11th round in the mag.

1slow
09-14-2020, 11:37 PM
HK USP 45 10 round mags work well IMHO. Full capacity mags are 12 rounds.

matto
09-14-2020, 11:48 PM
The other problem is that if somebody could take a hydraulic press and insert an 11th round into a magazine without the magazine exploding then that equates to an illegal magazine under the law.

That’s why the last round is often difficult to load on neutered mags. The manufacturers have to build them so that no matter how worn out the spring is you’ll never be able to get that 11th round in the mag.

Makes sense, but also highlights the downside of using the spring to limit capacity in a 10 round state.

cheby
09-14-2020, 11:50 PM

Yes, I bought 6 10rd mags a few years ago to go to California for a major match. I shot a lot through them - no problem

RevolverRob
09-14-2020, 11:58 PM
The answer to the question isn't who makes the best 10-round mags, it's who makes the best magazines for full sized pistols

And the answer is:

Heckler and Koch

Followed by Mec-Gar

Unless you're shooting a 1911, in which case the answer is Tripp.

Still most OEMs do a fair job with their mags and factory magazines from Ruger and Smith and Wesson have been very consistent. Not quite as resilient as HK mags, but close. Beretta and CZ basically use Mec-Gar as the OEM supplier.

MDFA
09-15-2020, 06:09 AM
Wilson Combat ETM 10 round 9mm 1911 mags have worked flawlessly in my Commander. They are the gold standard in my opinion.

farscott
09-15-2020, 06:11 AM
My list of reliable ten-round magazines:

1) HK P30//VP9
2) Glock 26
3) Beretta 92 factory magazines (sourced from Beretta USA's web store)
4) S&W 59/59xx factory magazines
5) McCormick Power Magazine (not RPM) for .45 ACP 1911

fatdog
09-15-2020, 06:31 AM
Which full-sized pistol offers the most normally functioning 10-round versions? Both in terms of reliability and ease of use?

HK USP and USP/c in my experience. I have a large number of 10 rounders for both platforms in multiple calibers (9mm, .40/457, and .45ACP) that I got at very cheap prices and use as my practice mags. No problems with any type of ammo, zero reliablity problems, no problems loading them. It would be my platform of choice where I restricted to 10 rounders.

RJ
09-15-2020, 08:07 AM
I skimmed the thread and just looked for the combination of GJM + HK - so that's what I'm going with. :cool:

Kidding. Actual post content:

- In 2014 I had an early-production M&P 1.0 that I received from Gander Mountain in Florida somehow with one blocked 10 round mag and one normal mag. Until I managed to exchange it for a normal mag, I had no issues with it.

- Two Glock 19 10 round blocked mags worked well enough for me (zero issues) from 2017 to 2018 in extended travel across the US in an RV. I did not use them as much as my normal G19 15 round mags, but I didn't have any issues using them in ban-states, either. Had a Gen 5 Glock 26 for a while; zero issues with 10 round standard mags, zero issues with OEM +2 12 rounder which was my normal carry mode. Had a Glock 43X, zero issues with OEM 10 round mags over 600+ rounds before I sold it in May.

- HK P30SK LEM 10 round mags - zero issues in EDC. I used it for one Tom Givens class in Everett WA in 2017 with no problems caused by the gun.

Suvorov
09-15-2020, 09:26 AM
I’ve had no issues with full size Beretta 92 magazines but the 10th round is problematic on Compact magazines.

Sig P228/229 10 rounders have been Zero Defect (both old school zipper back and newer MecGar).

USPc/P2000 have been good to go as well.

As others have mentioned, some of the .45s are a good option. M&P45 is standard with 10 rounds and the new spring versions work well as do all the HK USP mags I’ve had.

John Hearne
09-15-2020, 11:22 AM
P320 in 45 ACP.

(Dons asbestos underwear)

Wise_A
09-16-2020, 05:12 AM
I must have read a dozen threads on 10-round glock mags. For every person that says they've had no problem, there's a person that says they have - even after trying all the alternative followers.

Good to know, thanks. I haven't found a single person complain about H&K yet.

I have no issues buying some single stack glocks. But I do want to try competition and some longer-barrel pistols so I'm looking for input on them.

Not a bad idea.

I know, sometimes I feel like I'm not one of the cool kids because I've never had a G-Lock mag to complain about. The mag problem is a thing I think about, but I wouldn't rate it any more worrisome than any known issue on anybody else's handgun. So long as mine continue to feed 124-gr Speer Gold Dots, I'm basically happy.

If you're really interested in competition with some carry crossover, I would look primarily at 1911s and CZs. It depends a lot on what sport and division you're interested in. It might behoove you to just separate out the carry gun from the funtimes gun, and accept that you're going to be playing under the same limitations as everybody else when it comes to the funtimes gun.

Bucky
09-16-2020, 05:43 AM

I’m running Mec-Gar 10 round magazines in my Shadow 2 in production exclusively (I live next to a ban state). I find no difference in reliability. When I ran a Glock, I’d only use the 10 rounders when required by law, as I didn’t find them functionally as good.

willie
09-16-2020, 07:08 AM
I may be the least qualified to comment. As a CZ fan, I assert that their Mec Gar mags are stellar and are better than the Czech made mags. I have two other points. One is you never know what you might end up with in mags. I bought a new Smith M&P .45 that was shipped with the follower and spring incorrectly installed. When I complained, they sent me replacements with the same problem. My other point is that "everything" is made in runs. I urge folks to buy a bunch of 10 rounders that work. But if one or two do not, destroy and discard them. We are entering a new era. Supply and demand issues may present us with scarce but poorer made products. I predict we will see many 10 rd mags that are difficult to insert. That would make them 9 rounders for me. I am fortunate that my 3rd gen Glock 26 shoots as if it were a Star Wars ray gun.

JRB
09-16-2020, 03:00 PM
Given those constraints, an HK45 would be my first, second, and third choices.

If it simply had to be a full size 9mm limited to 10 rounds, I'd go with the Beretta 92 or an HK VP9/P30.

peterb
09-16-2020, 08:24 PM
I am fortunate that my 3rd gen Glock 26 shoots as if it were a Star Wars ray gun.

:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf4IGyPTHLo