PDA

View Full Version : Punisher Logo and Toronto police

Glenn E. Meyer
09-08-2020, 07:59 PM
https://www.cbr.com/punisher-toronto-police-officer-must-remove-logo/

Officer in trouble over logo and Marvel's view of its usage.

NWshooter
09-08-2020, 08:25 PM
Remember when the world wasn’t full of pussies?

paherne
09-08-2020, 08:40 PM
Wearing the emblem of a super-hero/anti-hero who is a fired former cop that dispenses "justice" by extra-judicially "punishing" criminals is pretty much the opposite of what a cop should be and what I have striven to be for the last nearly 30 years. Cops wearing punisher ANYTHING are stupid beyond belief and worthy of ridicule and discipline. I never needed to be a super-hero, nor was I an "operator" when I wore a SWAT uniform; it was always good enough for me to be a cop, a peace officer.

Duke
09-08-2020, 08:51 PM
Can we just stop with the man child themed logos/artwork/patches/cerakote jobs etc?

Double ditto if you’re in a position of extreme scrutiny

I get it. All in good fun.

But when I see an adult with any of that shit on - well - I’m thinking I’d rather be dealing with someone else

Caballoflaco
09-08-2020, 08:58 PM
Unless you’ve watched mafia hit-men kill your entire family in a park and decided to go out in a blaze of glory killing as many of them as you can before you die, but you’re so good they can’t kill you and give you the peace you’ll never be able to find again on earth, then you shouldn’t wear a punisher logo.

And even then you’re kind of an unoriginal hack, because you’re stealing your branding from a comic book.

frank
09-08-2020, 09:02 PM
Can we just stop with the man child themed logos/artwork/patches/cerakote jobs etc?

Yes. Be polite, be discrete.

There is no upside to these performative displays of toughness.

Caballoflaco
09-08-2020, 09:10 PM

Double ditto if you’re in a position of extreme scrutiny

I get it. All in good fun.

But when I see an adult with any of that shit on - well - I’m thinking I’d rather be dealing with someone else

I don’t think an adult male should wear shirts, hats etc. with pictures of bands, superheroes, sports teams, humorous phrases, or even just billboard-style branding of the actual clothing company in public after their early twenties... but that’s just me, and yes that includes a quick trip to the store. (I know there’s plenty of people who would disagree, but we do dress like slobs in this country)

Totem Polar
09-08-2020, 10:30 PM
If you’re a grown-ass man out for vengeance, forget the punisher and comics. Put this shit on your kit:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Jackhinson.jpg

(Jack Hinson)

I’ll let y’all know when I make stencils for the magpuls...

TGS
09-08-2020, 10:40 PM
I don’t think an adult male should wear shirts, hats etc. with pictures of bands, superheroes, sports teams, humorous phrases, or even just billboard-style branding of the actual clothing company in public after their early twenties... but that’s just me, and yes that includes a quick trip to the store. (I know there’s plenty of people who would disagree, but we do dress like slobs in this country)

Is my New Mexico Tech EMRTC (http://www.emrtc.nmt.edu/) hat okay? The logo on the hat is on the upper left corner of that link's website.

Casual Friday
09-08-2020, 10:40 PM
Star Wars, Star Trek, comic book characters, anime, I just don't understand grown ups watching any of it unless they have kids, or wearing apparel featuring the characters. Maybe I'm old, but I pretty much only wear plain black or dark heather grey tshirts. My wife buys them for me by the 5 pack, they're Bella + Canvas brand and made in the US.

As far as super cringe worthy patches/apparel, my favorite is the Punisher skull/thin blue line combo.

Caballoflaco
09-08-2020, 10:58 PM
Is my New Mexico Tech EMRTC (http://www.emrtc.nmt.edu/) hat okay? The logo on the hat is on the upper left corner of that link's website.

Hey man, I just state my own views on fashion. I’ve got no desire to actually enforce them like some sartorial taliban.

I personally wouldn’t unless they were paying me an advertising fee, but it seems pretty subdued. In a casual or work-related environment for you where it might function as ppe sure. Although I’ll defer to @BehindBluel's input on hat fashion.

DDTSGM
09-08-2020, 11:32 PM
I bought this for my bud who is a true believer, as opposed to a hold your noser:

Yeah, an officer shouldn't be wearing something like that on his uniform. Plus, the whole sheepdog thing kinda leaves me cold.

Wendell
09-08-2020, 11:40 PM
Even Punisher co-creator Gerry Conway weighed in on the matter in 2019, saying, "Any 'cop' who wears a Punisher logo in his official capacity is identifying law enforcement with an outlaw. These 'cops' are a disgrace to serious police officers everywhere. They show an imbecilic level of irresponsibility and should be fired immediately."

If a person who wears a logo should be fired immediately just for wearing the logo, what consequence (if any) should exist for those who own the rights to the logo, and who sold the logo (to the person)?

JDD
09-09-2020, 06:14 AM
If a person who wears a logo should be fired immediately just for wearing the logo, what consequence (if any) should exist for those who own the rights to the logo, and who sold the logo (to the person)?

I think the issue is not the trademark and rights issues. It's the idea that a Law Enforcement professional who adopts the symbol of a man who has decided to work outside the justice system to act as judge, jury, and executioner to extract his own form of justice is inherently at odds with the role and responsibility of a police officer and our criminal justice system. It's like a butcher unironically wearing PETA branding. Police who use the symbol show that they either don't understand the punisher, or they don't understand their job. It looks like between those two options, the co-creator chooses to believe that LEOs understand the punisher.

olstyn
09-09-2020, 06:55 AM
or even just billboard-style branding of the actual clothing company in public after their early twenties...

How far do you take this concept? Do you remove any identifying tags from clothing, like the little red Levi's logo attached to the pocket of a pair of their jeans? (I know we're supposed to hate Levi's around here - it was just the first example that came to mind.) De-badge your cars?

awp_101
09-09-2020, 07:29 AM
I don’t think an adult male should wear shirts, hats etc. with pictures of bands, superheroes, sports teams, humorous phrases, or even just billboard-style branding of the actual clothing company in public after their early twenties... but that’s just me, and yes that includes a quick trip to the store.
So I can’t wear my “Injection is nice but I’d rather be blown” shirt to car shows anymore?:(

Caballoflaco
09-09-2020, 07:36 AM
How far do you take this concept? Do you remove any identifying tags from clothing, like the little red Levi's logo attached to the pocket of a pair of their jeans? (I know we're supposed to hate Levi's around here - it was just the first example that came to mind.) De-badge your cars?

My general rule is that I don’t like any logos on shirts. No Hurley or Billabong etc logos that cover the chest or anything with writing on the sleeves. My personal rule is I won’t wear something with a logo that can be read beyond conversational distance, and will always choose something with minimal labeling. No I don’t take the time to de-badge cars or pants.

Caballoflaco
09-09-2020, 07:46 AM
So I can’t wear my “Injection is nice but I’d rather be blown” shirt to car shows anymore?:(

Do you keep that in the closet in between your Federal. Boobie. inspector. shirt and your collection of Big Johnson tank tops? :p

blues
09-09-2020, 08:00 AM
Do you keep that in the closet in between your Federal. Boobie. inspector. shirt and your collection of Big Johnson tank tops? :p

Let's not forget "Home of the Whopper" underoos.

JRB
09-09-2020, 09:37 AM
This is a good example of P-F's discourse improving me as a professional in uniform, even though it had nothing to do with marksmanship or gun handling.

I used to let my Soldiers go wild with morale patches so long as it wasn't sexual or otherwise non-PC. Then we had an excellent thread here that discussed the 'all lose, no win' aspect of it. I'd intended for patches to be a way to have a little fun, and it was so long as it was just us. But once we interact with higher leadership or outside organizations or units, it *does* affect our professional persona.

I've since banned morale patches on armor or duty uniform items. I grudgingly reneged to permit exactly one morale patch on a backpack, so long as the patch is removed and put inside the bag if we're uniformed and in public. It's only improved things.

As for normal clothes, I was a big fan of various car logo'd t-shirts for years until I learned how much easier it was to conceal a pistol, clinch pick, and reload under a short-sleeve button up.

I do have a Geissele 'G' ball cap I ended up with somewhere and since it says nothing gun related or specific otherwise, I enjoy it as you have to be a superpower-level gun dork to know what it is. Having an obscure logo blends in better than a blank ballcap IMHO.

How dare you associate with such an organization? They're teaching KIDS how to work with EXPLOSIVES!!!! /sarcasm

One of my oldest and closest friends went to NMT, and was an instrumentation tech out there for almost three years as a student employee. Cool stuff going on for the good guys out there!

Glenn E. Meyer
09-09-2020, 09:44 AM
Having started the thread, I must confess to wearing a Vote for Cthulhu tee shirt at times. Also, I used to wear to matches a MoMA ball cap. It was to see who had some culture (Museum of Modern Art). I used to wear a Rangemaster tee shirt to the school gym. It was rather explicitly firearm-ish. Probably get me reported if I still worked there. Now I wear a university shirt to the local gym.

Had a nice KRtraining dress shirt, that I would wear to work. When asked what it meant, I said, high level executive training seminars.

Car just has a university logo sticker.

Totem Polar
09-13-2020, 02:18 PM
Maybe I'm old, but I pretty much only wear plain black or dark heather grey tshirts. My wife buys them for me by the 5 pack, they're Bella + Canvas brand and made in the US.

I gotta revisit this one for a sec, since I’m an inveterate wearer of plain, heather grey/black v-neck Ts for the better part of 3 seasons, myself. Does your wife have a wholesale account set up, or do you buy them retail?

Casual Friday
09-13-2020, 02:35 PM
I gotta revisit this one for a sec, since I’m an inveterate wearer of plain, heather grey/black v-neck Ts for the better part of 3 seasons, myself. Does your wife have a wholesale account set up, or do you buy them retail?

Jiffyshirts.com no wholesale account needed.

FrankinCA
09-13-2020, 02:38 PM

Officer in trouble over logo and Marvel's view of its usage.

Such bullshit. I read Punisher as a kid. It’s not vigilantism, more American self determination.

NH Shooter
09-13-2020, 03:12 PM
Up here in the northeast, if you don't have at least a few pieces with the L.L. Bean logo, you're considered an outsider.

Totem Polar
09-13-2020, 03:16 PM
Jiffyshirts.com no wholesale account needed.

FnA right, bro. Thanks.

Such bullshit. I read Punisher as a kid. It’s not vigilantism, more American self determination.

While you and I can probably hang out over brews, have you seen the TV iteration? That’s some straight up kill ‘em all and let the eastern or Norse polytheistic deities of your choice sort them out stuff, right there. Damn fine entertainment, sure, but not something to overtly tie to your agency or department.

blues
09-13-2020, 03:18 PM
Up here in the northeast, if you don't have at least a few pieces with the L.L. Bean logo, you're considered an outsider.

I like their no logo, no pocket traditional t-shirts. (I do have one navy sweatshirt with a block letter logo, however...)

Just a peaceful, non-threatening senior citizen. :rolleyes:

FrankinCA
09-13-2020, 03:19 PM
Totem, yeah I get it.

Totem Polar
09-13-2020, 03:25 PM
When I was just a sprout, I was looking at my beginning garage band’s music gear, and I was struck by the thought: “Man, I mowed old people’s lawns all summer long to buy each one of those things... why should their logos be bigger than the band’s? I mean, if we actually had a logo...”

I was literally still in middle school when I started unscrewing badges from amp grills, and putting black electric tape over logos. To this day, if you see me wearing a logo outside of a shivworks collective class or the jits gym, I know the owner of the company, and am friends with them—and they probably gave me the shirt or I have an endorsement deal with them. Otherwise, that shit gets covered, cut, or burned off.

:D

Totem Polar
09-13-2020, 03:26 PM
Totem, yeah I get it.

I know. That’s why the comment about the brews. I read the original recipe print versions as they came out, too.
:cool:

Oldherkpilot
09-13-2020, 05:30 PM
I like their no logo, no pocket traditional t-shirts. (I do have one navy sweatshirt with a block letter logo, however...)

Just a peaceful, non-threatening senior citizen. :rolleyes:

If it ain't got a pocket, I won't rock it.

blues
09-13-2020, 05:32 PM
If it ain't got a pocket, I won't rock it.

Don't knock it.

Hambo
09-13-2020, 05:38 PM
Hey man, I just state my own views on fashion. I’ve got no desire to actually enforce them like some sartorial taliban.

First they came for the Guy Harvey shirts...

Those never go out of style.

peterb
09-13-2020, 07:16 PM

I have a stitch ripper and know how to use it. :)

I don't like being a walking billboard. I usually remove visible labels if they're sewn on.

That said, my favorite ball caps have the WoodenBoat logo, so consistency is not my strong point.

LittleLebowski
09-13-2020, 07:39 PM
I wonder how long before the TBL sticker is a hate symbol in some places? I guarantee it will happen.

olstyn
09-13-2020, 07:59 PM
I wonder how long before the TBL sticker is a hate symbol in some places? I guarantee it will happen.

I imagine that it's already considered to be hateful among certain groups, if not in any official/government-enforced way.