PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Which Commercially available gun oils do you recommend? (Not grease)

cclaxton
06-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Let's try a poll on the lubricant question:
You can choose more than one answer.

May the best lube win!

CC

MEH
06-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Anything really. Whatever is handy on the shelf. If the shelf is bare, I go to the garage and see what I have. If it's free, I'll try it. :)

digiadaamore
06-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Let's try a poll on the lubricant question:
You can choose more than one answer.

May the best lube win!

CC

Ballistol:cool:

scooterj
06-12-2012, 09:38 PM
FP-10 or Weapon Shield

Up1911Fan
06-12-2012, 10:04 PM
I use Slip 2000 EWL.

Savage Hands
06-12-2012, 10:05 PM
I prefer Weapon Shield CLP and grease.

JDM
06-12-2012, 10:07 PM
I use automatic transmission fluid on all my guns. Not because of some superstitious belief, but because I had a couple quarts leftover from a transmission flush I did like 4 years ago.

I never have to buy lube again.

Odin Bravo One
06-12-2012, 10:37 PM
I just picked all of them. I have never heard of half of them, and wouldn't know the difference.

Gun work, gun good.

Cool Breeze
06-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Weapon shield for me. Love it.

pangloss
06-12-2012, 11:22 PM
I've happily used Breakfree for ~20 years now, but I'm always intrigued by gun oil/lube threads. Someday I'll try a different brand. Has anyone tried 10-8 Lube? If so, what do you think of it?

DanH
06-13-2012, 01:00 AM
I've always used RemOil for mine but I don't shoot as much as most of you.

F-Trooper05
06-13-2012, 03:28 AM
Slip 2000 is tits.

Chris Rhines
06-13-2012, 06:36 AM
I've used FP-10, Miltec, Slip 2000 EWL, Gun Butter, Break-Free CLP, and leftover synthetic 10W-30 from the scooter. They all work pretty well - I use whichever one is closest on the bench.

FP-10 smells the best.

-C

tmoore912
06-13-2012, 06:52 AM
EEZOX® is what I use.

JonInWA
06-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Weapon Shield and TW25B.

Best, Jon

jstyer
06-13-2012, 09:29 AM
I've yet to try a lube that didn't work for me... but I usually buy MPro7 just because it's cheap and available.

LittleLebowski
06-13-2012, 09:34 AM
FrogLube.

SecondsCount
06-13-2012, 10:21 AM
FrogLube.

Like I said in the 1911 lube thread, I have been playing with FrogLube and am really liking it. Nontoxic and cleans up easy.

LHS
06-13-2012, 10:22 AM
What's free? I've had great luck with a 50/50 mix of Mobile 1 and automatic transmission fluid. I think it's less important WHAT you use than that you lube effectively.

TGS
06-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Bananas.

Works for the MILF. Must work.

jwperry
06-13-2012, 12:30 PM
After trying every cheap lube Wal Mart had to offer and having it turn sticky/gummy (Hoppes) or evaporate (RemOil) I bought a quart of Mobile 1 5w-30 Full Synthetic. I've been using that quart for nearly 2 years on both pistols and rifles and I've only gone through 1/3 of it. It does get a bit runny in a M1911 though. Maybe I was just putting on too much.

JBP55
06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Mobil 1 20W50, if you like it thinner 3 parts Mobil 1 20W50 and 1 part Dextron ATF.

lamarbrog
06-14-2012, 12:29 AM
I really think the term "snake oil salesman" should be replaced with "gun oil salesman". I think there are more con artists in the latter group. There also seem to be plenty of folks who are eagerly seeking someone to rip them off. Folks are always quick to tell me how "Flip 3000 Lizard Lube" has better lubricating properties than the tears of unicorns, but can never seem to articulate how it is better when my guns, and the guns of my employer, run just as well on whatever we happen to scrounge up.

Working at a shooting range, we just use whatever happens to be around to keep stuff running. Sometimes it is RemOil, sometimes Hoppes, CLP on occasion. I often bring motor oil from home- just whatever kind I happened to fill my dripper bottle with that time. It really doesn't matter one bit. Our high round count M16s run just as well on thirty weight as they do anything else.

The only one I ever really recommend at all is Ballistol, and that is if someone has sensitive skin or are cleaning up after corrosive ammo or black powder. It isn't really because it offers any benefit to the function of the firearm.

cclaxton
06-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the fantasic response to this poll. Please keep the votes coming.
So far the winner seems to be Slip 2000 EWL Oil.
But there are some other contenders.

What about the worst ones?...can we get some commenting on the bad ones?

Keep the votes coming.

CC

TGS
06-14-2012, 10:33 PM

I don't know of any bad lubes....but out of the ones I've used, I think RemOil is probably the worst simply because it evaporates so quickly. With that being said, when using a modern service pistol such as a Glock, S&W M&P, HK, Walther PPQ, FNS, ect, I'd use it without complaining if I found a can of it. Perhaps guys with lube-sensitive pistols (Sphinx? 1911?) would have a different opinion.

ToddG
06-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Militec for me.

I cannot say it's the greatest thing ever because I've hardly used anything else in the past 12 or so years. It's kept my Berettas, SIGs, Smiths, HKs, and Glocks running for thousands of rounds on a single application. There may be something better out there and I know it's not well thought of in terms of rust prevention, but as a critical component of keeping my guns cycling time after time it has earned my confidence.

Never thought of it before, but I've changed guns, calibers, carry ammo, holsters, lights, sights... just about everything imaginable. But I've always used Militec.

Argus
06-14-2012, 11:01 PM
I use FP-10 because I like the way it smells. Other than that...it's just oil.

lamarbrog
06-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the fantasic response to this poll. Please keep the votes coming.
So far the winner seems to be Slip 2000 EWL Oil.
But there are some other contenders.

Keep the votes coming.

CC

Rem-Oil does evaporate rather quickly- you can get by with it, but I'd prefer something else. Rem-Oil is great if you want to shine something up for presentation without it being slippery.

cclaxton
06-16-2012, 09:27 AM
I was at Carolina Cup and before the match won a Mil-Comm Gun-Care Pak with TW-25B Grease, MC-25 Cleaner and MC-2500 Oil. I decided to try out the Cleaner and the Oil. I was not impressed with the cleaner...probably do better with Green Cleaner. It cleaned but lots of elbow grease.

I was not about to put grease on the Cz75 for the match. So, I tried the MC-2500. It is not as smooth/frictionless as other oils like Militec-1 or Slipstream or Zero Friction, but it was good lubrication. After the match, and over 370 rounds, I checked the gun and the lube is still holding up. I am impressed with how long it lasted. At the range I may try the grease, which is more liquid than solid from the drops I rubbed between my fingers.

Keep the votes coming!!!
Let us know your experiences with oils...next up....grease.

CC

LittleLebowski
06-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Lube really doesn't matter so long as you have some on there.

Spr1
06-16-2012, 04:55 PM
I have run through all sorts of lubes over the decades. The only one I would run away from was FP-10. I had switched to it and thought it was nice and slippery. I had a couple guns so lubed that I put away for a year or so. When I went to pull them out and use them, I found that the FP-10 had hardened to a green shellac and had glued small parts together, such that they were locked up solidly and were non-functional. It took hours with my current lube of choice, Slip EWL to get things working again.

willypete
06-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Never use gear oil (80w90, 75x140, etc). Not even just because. It smells even worse when it gets hot! *gag*

I'm a fan of CLP and Ballistol. Ballistol seems to be the hydrogen peroxide of guns oils in that it will break up and flush junk out with its foaming action. I agree with the others who state that most guns will run on most lubes. It's just oil, after all...

I've also used wool oil/lanolin on guns for long term storage. It smells great and leaves your hands very soft, but forms a congealed goop that's a mess to clean off after a few months. Think of it as cosmoline for ewe. :D

cmoore
06-17-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm pretty well convinced that the only real advantage to the newer lubes and cleaners is that they don't smell bad and they are usually nontoxic.

PPGMD
06-17-2012, 11:23 PM
I use whatever I have available if I want to use an oil (I prefer grease). I think I have most of the major oils present on my bench, mostly freebies from various events and such.

Honestly the two that I would pay for are a CLP of some type (just for rust), and Slip2000 EWL.

That being said, I use grease for my lubrication except for my 22s.

Suvorov
06-18-2012, 12:36 AM
I've been using Milcom TW-25B for years as a grease every time I clean and lube my pistols. Although it goes on as a grease it quickly turns into a viscous oil that stays put.

Between cleaning and lubing, I just douse it down with Break Free CLP. I know Break Free has a lot of issues, but as a general purpose everything lube for the range bag, it has served me well and I'm kind of addicted to the smell. :o

I recently (in the past year) have gone to using Mobile 1 on my ARs and have been extremely happy with it. It definitely reduces friction better than Break Free and it doesn't dry out nearly as fast. I haven't yet started using it on my pistols as I prefer to use the heavier TW-25B on them, however I have no doubt it would work great with handguns as well.

JBP55
06-18-2012, 10:02 AM
I've been using Milcom TW-25B for years as a grease every time I clean and lube my pistols. Although it goes on as a grease it quickly turns into a viscous oil that stays put.

Between cleaning and lubing, I just douse it down with Break Free CLP. I know Break Free has a lot of issues, but as a general purpose everything lube for the range bag, it has served me well and I'm kind of addicted to the smell. :o

I recently (in the past year) have gone to using Mobile 1 on my ARs and have been extremely happy with it. It definitely reduces friction better than Break Free and it doesn't dry out nearly as fast. I haven't yet started using it on my pistols as I prefer to use the heavier TW-25B on them, however I have no doubt it would work great with handguns as well.

If you have not already try the 20W50 version of Mobil 1 on your pistols.

Suvorov
06-18-2012, 12:14 PM
For those of you who are adding ATF to motor oil, what is the purpose behind this? Break down the viscosity :confused:

JBP55
06-18-2012, 01:17 PM
For those of you who are adding ATF to motor oil, what is the purpose behind this? Break down the viscosity :confused:

Dextron ATF is a very good lubricant for guns but it may be a little light for some end users.
Dextron ATF and a quality synthetic oil blend well and the mixture is a very good lubricant for guns.

Suvorov
06-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Dextron ATF is a very good lubricant for guns but it may be a little light for some end users.
Dextron ATF and a quality synthetic oil blend well and the mixture is a very good lubricant for guns.

OK, so it is more like you are adding motor oil to ATF in order to make it more viscous! Makes some sense.

Anyone play around with using Turboshaft oil on their guns? :confused:

cclaxton
07-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Due to the high number of recommendations for Slip-2000, I bought a small bottle of the oil to try it out. I was very impressed with the low friction and relatively clean operation. However, after a few hundred rounds, it loses the low friction. I would rate in in the top category along with G96, but it is not going to replace my top three:

#1: Slip-Stream Lubricant;
#2: Militec-1;
#3: Zero Friction Lubricant;

I use Militec on any areas that might be subject to rust.
Slip-Stream on Cz slide, spring, barrel.

I never did try the Mil-Comm TW-25b...will give that a try next.

Keep the votes coming!
CC

JV_
07-20-2012, 07:07 PM
I use Militec on any areas that might be subject to rust.
From the rust testing I've seen, Militec tends to do very poorly in this area. It's a lube, not a rust inhibitor. I would look at Eezox to prevent rust.

DocGKR
07-21-2012, 12:44 AM
Any lube is better than none.

If given the option, I usually grab Slip 2000 EWL, but have also had good luck with Gunbutter.

I also tend to use a lot of generic white lithium grease; TW25B and XF7 also work well.

Militec and CLP have left a bad taste in my mouth and I try to shy away from them if other options are available.

Tamara
07-21-2012, 05:37 AM
I like Butch's Gun Oil the best, but not for any hard-core scientific reasons or anything.

There's some on the filing cabinet next to me. I think there's a bottle of FP-10 in my range bag.

Ga Shooter
07-24-2012, 05:52 AM
Any lube is better than none.

Militec and CLP have left a bad taste in my mouth and I try to shy away from them if other options are available.

I have used TW25B for a very long time but have heard such great things about Militec that I was going to switch and try it out. Could you please elaborate.

Thank you.

JRas
07-24-2012, 09:09 AM
I use automatic transmission fluid on all my guns. Not because of some superstitious belief, but because I had a couple quarts leftover from a transmission flush I did like 4 years ago.

I never have to buy lube again.

I use ATF as well, it's cheap and works well.

deeHKman
08-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I use Militec-1 and to Protect Corrosion-X...used the Corr. X at work on some very expensive test equipment(harsh environment's) with great result's no rust or any oxidation.

johnemckenzie
08-05-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm exclusively using Froglube for now, and I love it so far. The liquid and paste (grease/not a grease?) are exceeding my expectations. It cleaned my weapons much better than I expected. I live in an exceedingly hot & humid place, and there is great corrosion resistance. It makes the moving parts slick and smooth. Bonus - I can pick up my newborn with Froglube on my hands, and I don't need to worry about it being hazardous to him.

JBP55
08-05-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm exclusively using Froglube for now, and I love it so far. The liquid and paste (grease/not a grease?) are exceeding my expectations. It cleaned my weapons much better than I expected. I live in an exceedingly hot & humid place, and there is great corrosion resistance. It makes the moving parts slick and smooth. Bonus - I can pick up my newborn with Froglube on my hands, and I don't need to worry about it being hazardous to him.

Your location is spelled Louisiana.

Dr. No
08-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Where is the option for Mobile-1 synthetic motor oil?

johnemckenzie
08-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Your location is spelled Louisiana.

:)

JBP55
08-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Where is the option for Mobile-1 synthetic motor oil?

One of the best is not listed, it has to go under other.

cclaxton
08-05-2012, 09:00 PM
I apologize I didn't put Mobile-1 and Froglube in the poll. Although I must admit I kinda thought Mobile-1 was a joke at first.
I am glad you wrote about them.

Keep the votes coming!
CC

cclaxton
08-06-2012, 09:55 PM
So, I was at the Carolina Cup and won a package of Mil-Comm products including the 2500 oil, cleaner and 25B "grease."

I tried the MC-25 cleaner and was not impressed. It doesn't really do a very good job, and lots of rubbing required. I would not recommend the cleaner.
I had tried the oil and was reasonably impressed, but still not beating out my favorite oils (Militec-1 and SlipStream).

So, finally got around to trying the TW25B Gun "Grease" and was very impressed. I may start using this above the others. Only time will tell if it holds up as well and lubricates as well. I shot a IDPA match this weekend and lubricated it with 25B just before. It is still holding the lubrication and has not dried out or evaporated and doesn't appear to be collecting a lot of residue. And, the slipperiness is lingering.

First, it is not really a grease. It is closer to the consistency of lithium grease. It even looks a bit like lithium, having a light white color and not hard like bearing grease, nor thick like transaxle oil.

So, I will be keeping this on the gun for another match and see how it holds up.

Definitely give it a try.

CC

rockymtnnut
09-03-2012, 07:24 PM
White lithium grease, shell rotella or mobile one synthetic,clp, I personaly don't think it matters. A pistol could never equal the torture that a diesle engine could dish out. I am a former Marine so I clean my weapon every use. I can get a gallon for about 12 to 13 dollars. A pistol is really a slow moving wide tolerance piece of machinery compared to a engine. I don't understand why it requires special oils or greased. Boat axel grease is great and cheap.

LittleLebowski
09-03-2012, 08:37 PM
White lithium grease, shell rotella or mobile one synthetic,clp, I personaly don't think it matters. A pistol could never equal the torture that a diesle engine could dish out. I am a former Marine so I clean my weapon every use. I can get a gallon for about 12 to 13 dollars. A pistol is really a slow moving wide tolerance piece of machinery compared to a engine. I don't understand why it requires special oils or greased. Boat axel grease is great and cheap.

Took me a while to get past the weapons cleaning brainwashing too. Now I clean every few thousand rounds.

rockymtnnut
09-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Took me a while to get past the weapons cleaning brainwashing too. Now I clean every few thousand rounds.

I know your right its just something I do. I know the weapon does not need it its just a habit. My best freind swears by motorcoat in a can. I like good old high grade motor oil . I have found carbon fouled parts soaked in 2 cycle oil cleans easily. 2 cycle oil has a ingredient that breaks up carbon

larryh1108
09-27-2012, 07:16 AM
2 I swear by are Gibbs brand and Gunslick Ultra lube. The Gibbs is incredible stuff and the Gunslick keeps the surfaces covered for a very long time without running. Great for storage.

zacii
09-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Gunzilla

MDS
10-01-2012, 05:46 PM
I recently switched from Militec to Froglube. Both are fine, I can't imagine that any decent lube wouldn't be fine for my Glox. I switched because my Militec was stolen and the Froglube's non-toxicity is appealing with kids at home. I was actually surprised to like the Froglube better. It seems to stay put longer - both in the holster as well as during extended firing sessions. Whenever I feel like I should relube these days, I find myself wiping off some remaining Froglube.

Take that FWIW, BTW. I'm a relative n00b and I don't have enough experience with any other lubes to compare them - only Militec vs Froglube...

orionz06
10-01-2012, 06:01 PM
I used Froglube at a recent AFHF and compared to previous lubes I can say that the Froglube seems to have kept the gun a little dirtier at a lower round count. Previously using Weapon Shield and an unreleased lube I had for T&E.

MDS
10-01-2012, 07:05 PM
I used Froglube at a recent AFHF and compared to previous lubes I can say that the Froglube seems to have kept the gun a little dirtier at a lower round count. Previously using Weapon Shield and an unreleased lube I had for T&E.

Now that you mention it, I think that's true for me, compared to the Militec I used to use. It seems the gun gets dirtier, faster than it used to. I hadn't thought to blame the lube for that, and I didn't pay too much attention to that so I can't say for sure. Either way, the non-toxic aspect is worth something to me, though to be honest I can't seem to find any definitive ingredient list or anything. As far as actually running, I don't think the guns noticed the change. The choice of lube is a very minor thing for me, before Militec I used a batch of Ed's Red that I whipped up, it seemed to work just as well as anything else, though it definitely burned off quicker than either Militec or FL. Bottom line for me: whatever. :rolleyes: ;)

Tamara
10-02-2012, 07:25 AM
One thing that amazed me when I discovered my first gun forum on the internet (Glocktalk, back in '99,) was that there were some shooters who would actually get into multi-page knock-down drag-out hair-pulling brawls over which brand of lube was the awesomest.

I will say that this phenomenon is the single most baffling thing I have ever seen in all my time around firearms. :o

orionz06
10-02-2012, 07:31 AM
One thing that amazed me when I discovered my first gun forum on the internet (Glocktalk, back in '99,) was that there were some shooters who would actually get into multi-page knock-down drag-out hair-pulling brawls over which brand of lube was the awesomest.

I will say that this phenomenon is the single most baffling thing I have ever seen in all my time around firearms. :o

Funny how those qualified to make competent education based assessments on firearms lube use whatever is available and free and those unqualified to say anything argue to the ends of the earth for one or the other.

LittleLebowski
10-02-2012, 07:31 AM

Ahem.... Foliage? Urban dark earth? Coyote? Flat dark earth?

cclaxton
10-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Funny how those qualified to make competent education based assessments on firearms lube use whatever is available and free and those unqualified to say anything argue to the ends of the earth for one or the other.

I use my own experience with each lube on my Cz-75 Shadow to assess lubricants because I shoot a lot and clean regularly. I have not tried most of these lubes, but I have tried quite a number.

I do find it interesting that starting up a discussion about gun lubes at IDPA events will lead to a lively discussion. I enjoy it.

There is no "perfect lubricant" and I think we would all love to find one:
- Doesn't evaporate or go dry over at least 500 rounds;
- Doesn't collect residue from gunfire;
- Doesn't combine with gunfire residue and create a "paste" which can slow down lubrication or be sticky and hard to clean;
- Has excellent "slipperiness" or low-friction lubrication;
- Will maintain low-friction lubrication for over 500 rounds;
- Has a reasonable viscosity range;
- Will not break-down from heat or gun residues;
- Will not reduce performance at freezing temperatures;
- Prevents wear and corrosion 100%;
- Is easy to apply and easy to clean-up;
- Can be applied to all parts of the gun and work just as well as high performance grease or oil;
- Smells good.

Until I can find this lubricant, I will continue to try free samples and compare them to my favorites which are:
- Slipstream Oil with nano-lubricant (Best at lowering friction and long lasting);
- Militec-1 Oil and Grease (Best overall lubricant with great protection and helps ;
- Mil-Comm TW-25B low viscosity grease;

I have tried Slip-2000 and while it seems like an excellent oil, I have found it doesn't measure-up to my three favorites.

CC

orionz06
10-02-2012, 12:24 PM
I use my own experience with each lube on my Cz-75 Shadow to assess lubricants because I shoot a lot and clean regularly. I have not tried most of these lubes, but I have tried quite a number.

I do find it interesting that starting up a discussion about gun lubes at IDPA events will lead to a lively discussion. I enjoy it.

There is no "perfect lubricant" and I think we would all love to find one:
- Doesn't evaporate or go dry over at least 500 rounds;
- Doesn't collect residue from gunfire;
- Doesn't combine with gunfire residue and create a "paste" which can slow down lubrication or be sticky and hard to clean;
- Has excellent "slipperiness" or low-friction lubrication;
- Will maintain low-friction lubrication for over 500 rounds;
- Has a reasonable viscosity range;
- Will not break-down from heat or gun residues;
- Will not reduce performance at freezing temperatures;
- Prevents wear and corrosion 100%;
- Is easy to apply and easy to clean-up;
- Can be applied to all parts of the gun and work just as well as high performance grease or oil;
- Smells good.

Until I can find this lubricant, I will continue to try free samples and compare them to my favorites which are:
- Slipstream Oil with nano-lubricant (Best at lowering friction and long lasting);
- Militec-1 Oil and Grease (Best overall lubricant with great protection and helps ;
- Mil-Comm TW-25B low viscosity grease;

I have tried Slip-2000 and while it seems like an excellent oil, I have found it doesn't measure-up to my three favorites.

CC

I agree on all accounts, don't take my previous statement as a description of yourself (or any member here).

JDM
10-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Now that I shoot a metal gun I use grease on the rails and barrel and whatnot. I shot 1300 rounds this weekend, and my gun is still greasy. Good enough for me.

LittleLebowski
10-02-2012, 12:34 PM

Do you believe their "nano" claims? I've tested their stuff.....

JV_
10-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Now that I shoot a metal gun I use grease on the rails and barrel and whatnot. I shot 1300 rounds this weekend, and my gun is still greasy. Good enough for me.My Sigs ran well with Lubriplate (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6525/Product/LUBRIPLATE-130-A-MIL-SPEC-GREASE), and so does my Glock. It was just a few bucks for a lifetime supply.

I don't put a lot of thought/effort into lubes. I avoid trying to find the "best" one out there; I'd rather spend that extra $6-10, for the new/latest super lube, on bullets or index cards.

cclaxton
10-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Do you believe their "nano" claims? I've tested their stuff.....

Well, I think the marketing hype might overstate it a bit. But I do find it to be great lube....I can tell the difference when I apply slipstream and it does seem to outlast others.

What kind of testing did you do and what were your conclusions?
CC

LittleLebowski
10-02-2012, 01:53 PM
http://rationalgun.blogspot.com/2011/09/firearms-lubricants.html

davestarbuck
10-03-2012, 10:15 AM
I use Mobil 1, it's good enough for my Corvette, so I figure it'll work for my guns!

Alaskapopo
10-03-2012, 02:46 PM
I use 5w30 motor oil a lot and now since a friend of mine is sponsored by Miltech I use that.
Pat

Joe Mamma
10-08-2012, 08:49 PM
I use CorrosionX. I'm surprised it's not more popular.

Joe Mamma

Clay
10-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Corrosion-X is one of the best products ever for guns, knives, etc. It is also non-toxic. I get mine at Academy, or direct from Corrosion Technologies.

Chuck Haggard
10-11-2012, 12:11 PM

Yup. I started a mess on a forum once by stating that most folks clean guns after every shooting session just because it makes them feel warm and fuzzy or because of various quasi religious beliefs in the need to do so, none grounded in facts.

I also stated that almost anything works, having years of experience with using Breakfree on machine guns, and also using Mobil 1 for many years, I found that using lube properly and enough is far more important than what lube (at least when it comes to guns).

I added that I once used oil from C-Rat peanut butter on an M16a1 to get it running so a guy could finish his qual.

They went batshit crazy, I started an internet jihad and I'm pretty sure they have a fatwa on me to this day.

JM Campbell
10-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Yup. I started a mess on a forum once by stating that most folks clean guns after every shooting session just because it makes them feel warm and fuzzy or because of various quasi religious beliefs in the need to do so, none grounded in facts.

I also stated that almost anything works, having years of experience with using Breakfree on machine guns, and also using Mobil 1 for many years, I found that using lube properly and enough is far more important than what lube (at least when it comes to guns).

I added that I once used oil from C-Rat peanut butter on an M16a1 to get it running so a guy could finish his qual.

They went batshit crazy, I started an internet jihad and I'm pretty sure they have a fatwa on me to this day.

All of that is sigline worthy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

LittleLebowski
10-11-2012, 12:41 PM

It's been my thought for some time that gun cleaning is a religious ritual.

orionz06
10-11-2012, 01:20 PM

It's the manly thing to do. I'll be damned if I can shoot well but I must have a clean gun or some garbage like that.

Wes Peart
10-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Been using full synthetic 5W30 as of late and haven't really found anything to gripe about with it. It's a little thin but if you reapply when needed it's no issue. If I was going to go a long period without reapplying I'd wipe a little white grease on first, then oil it. The resulting paste stays put a lot better.

Chuck Haggard
10-11-2012, 05:24 PM

Word!

It's like how some people have to sacrifice chickens or goats to the rain gods so bad shit doesn't happen.

Ridgeback303
10-19-2012, 10:03 AM
HOnestly I use whatever oil is handy, around the cleaning bench. Lately it has been Butch's. For a grease I like JT6 Mystik.