PDA

View Full Version : carbine light placement

JRas
06-12-2012, 04:41 PM
I've been in the market for a light for my carbine. I can't decide on a light due to placement. It seems like its all compromise

What is you're prefered placement and why?

I've been thinking about 1, 11, and 6 o'clock

LOKNLOD
06-12-2012, 04:48 PM
How is your carbine set up? What length barrel? What type and length of handguard? What type of front sight (standard FSB, rail mounted, flip or fixed)? What type of optic if any? Are you right or left handed? Do you have a particular type of light in mind?

Sorry for the 20 questions but I think those will all play into what people recommend.

John Hearne
06-12-2012, 04:51 PM
I've been in the market for a light for my carbine. I can't decide on a light due to placement. It seems like its all compromise

12:00 is ideal if you're setup will allow it. I'm running X300 on a Viking Tactics foreend and love it. I'll be real happy when Surefire releases the X300 Ultra.

JRas
06-12-2012, 05:30 PM
How is your carbine set up? What length barrel? What type and length of handguard? What type of front sight (standard FSB, rail mounted, flip or fixed)? What type of optic if any? Are you right or left handed? Do you have a particular type of light in mind?

Sorry for the 20 questions but I think those will all play into what people recommend.

14.5 pinned and welded to 16
DD RIS II ( length is 12? )
I have a folding front sight KAC
Irons for now
Right handed

I want an IR capable light

M720V - 6, 3, or 9 o'clock
M620V - 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, and 11 o'clock
WMX200 - same above

Not a fan of VFG's

ffhounddog
06-12-2012, 09:25 PM
What is the need for a IR Light? Do you have NVGs and if you have NVGs do you have a laser for it?

DocGKR
06-12-2012, 10:13 PM
For a simple rear push button light like a G2L in a VTAC mount, I run it at 11 o'clock. With an X300 I run it at 12 o'clock. If using a light with a pressure pad, it typically gets placed at 1 o'clock.

Odin Bravo One
06-12-2012, 10:46 PM
For simplicity and cost, Doc's recommendation is tough to beat.

I am not sure I see the need for an IR capability unless there is an IR compatible aiming system, in which case, you are really well served to buy quality and cry only once in that department. The particular model that comes to my mind also includes an IR illuminator that FAR exceeds the capabilities of most WML's. Run about $3k.

I like the 300 mini-Scout mounted on an offset mount at about 1:30 with a tape switch, but that fits my needs and shooting style.

JDM
06-12-2012, 10:50 PM
I like the 300 mini-Scout mounted on an offset mount at about 1:30 with a tape switch, but that fits my needs and shooting style.

Sean, will you expand on this a little bit?
Where do you mount the switch, and all all your working carbines set up like this?

Archimagirus
06-13-2012, 01:00 AM
I am by no means a S.M.E. like a bunch of the guys on here, but I'll throw my 2 cents in. On my AR, I run my light at 12 o'clock in front of the f.s.b. On my Saiga, I run it at 11 o'clock like Doc said. On my AR, I really like the 12 o'clock because it has a much cleaner feel. I don't feel like I am going to get hung up on stuff with my light. That position also puts the light farther forward, so your f.s.b. and barrel don't cast as big of a shadow. The first time I saw someone running a light at 12, in front of the f.s.b., I got mad at myself for not thinking of it sooner. Hope that helps.

voodoo_man
06-13-2012, 01:59 AM
12 o clock seems to work well, picked up this mossie mount, works well

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j341/shevon_vspec/2012/011412_ARmossie/01.jpg

LOKNLOD
06-13-2012, 07:20 AM
I think Doc summed it up well, too.
I've mostly used a G2L or Polytac LED at 11:00 out at the end of a 12" rail. On my SBR, when it still had a FSB, I had moved it to 1:00 and reached across with my thumb, but found that awkward. It was a compromise because I could put my hand further forward, without pushing the light so far out it was longer than the barrel. I've since tried the light at 12:00 after shaving the block and putting on a longer rail, and with an X300 i think that is about ideal (not ideal with a TLR1, though).

I don't know anything about the IR capabilities of the lights so I can't comment on that aspect.

Al T.
06-13-2012, 09:57 AM
a simple rear push button light like a G2L in a VTAC mount

Saw a picture of one of Pat Roger's carbines set up like that and imitated it. Works like a champ. :)

My X300 is on my G17.

zml342
06-13-2012, 10:29 AM
I've since tried the light at 12:00 after shaving the block and putting on a longer rail, and with an X300 i think that is about ideal (not ideal with a TLR1, though).

How is not ideal with the TLR1?

jstyer
06-13-2012, 10:44 AM
The TLR1 is taller and does a decent job of occluding the sight picture.

zml342
06-13-2012, 11:12 AM
That is good to know, thanks

LOKNLOD
06-13-2012, 11:21 AM
How is not ideal with the TLR1?

Primarily, I think the switching of the X300 is superior in the 12:00 rifle mount position. Secondarily, the TLR bezel sticks up a little higher and blocks a little of bottom the front sight post. That's more minor annoyance than actual gripe, however.

It's worth noting that I currently have the TLR, and after getting a chance to play with an X300 mounted in that spot, it's on my short list to purchase now. There could be drawbacks to the 300 I've not experienced, but I think it's a little better suited to this usage than the TLR.

LHS
06-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm a huge convert to the 12-o'clock X300. I'm running a DDM4V5 with a fixed Troy front sight just behind the X300, and love it. Hand placement is very natural, I don't get blinded going over or around cover, and no shadow from the barrel. 12-o'clock is the way to go IMHO.

06-13-2012, 12:07 PM
I run a TLR-1 at the 3 o'clock position, but I have long fingers that make working the controls on the light no problem. May not work for non-skeleton fingered shooters.

Odin Bravo One
06-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Sean, will you expand on this a little bit?
Where do you mount the switch, and all all your working carbines set up like this?

I figure pictures speak volumes that I can't.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/SavageHunter/DSCF0316.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/SavageHunter/DSCF0317.jpg

To answer your questions, I put the tape switch (as you can see) on the 12:00 rail. This allows support hand thumb activation. Having it in this position decreases my odds for a light AD by bumping into something, and allows me to use my "thumbs forward" shooting grip with minimal shift to activate my WL.

Not every one of my carbines are set up with the tape switch on top, but most. I use the other side, about 10:00 for another tape switch for an ATPIAL. I use the recess between the rails to minimize the chance of an AD, but at times, if I am not running a top mounted IR Laser/Illuminator, I will put my WL tape switch in that 10:00 recessed position.

Having the light in it's 1:30 location keeps it out of my way, with minimal shadow or dead zones. I have yet to get it hung up on anything, so having it (barely) sticking out is not even the slightest bit of concern to me. A 6:00 mount is too easy to break a light if you have to go to muzzle strikes. Because I have different front sights and rails on different systems, I can't get consistency for a 12:00 mount. Some of these are not my choice, and I prefer to keep things as close as possible from one system to another.

The other configuration I run is on my SCAR, and it is a 9:00 300 or 600 factory mount Scout with clicky tail cap, and ATPIAL tape switch tucked in on top of the left side rail.

Like I said, this works for me and my shooting style, and other equipment requirements.

Most guys will go through several different trial and error sessions before they find the compromise that best suits their needs.

I have little use for the X200/X300 series of SF lights on a long gun unless the only other option is Insight Technologies garbage. I just don't find them nearly as user friendly as a G2, 6P, or Scout with a clicky or tape switch. I have also shot the X300 mounts loose during high volume shooting, or a hard whack on a metal object, requiring readjustment, and once losing a light. With a quality mount for a round body light, tighten once, mark it, and forget it.

Hopefully that answered your questions. My way of doing it is simply my way. The right way is what works best for you, your situation, and needs.

JDM
06-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Thank you!

Little Creek
06-14-2012, 12:16 PM
I have no experience in this matter. I have an AR-15 that is evolving. I just put a 13" Troy VTAC Alpha rail on it. I have observed photos of the VTAC light mounted with the light hanging off of the strong side rail in conjuction with a vertical handgrip. The thinking is that you make a fist around the vertical grip with your supporting hand and that puts your thumb is a position to push the button on the rear of the flashlight. When not using the light, I suppose one is supposed to use the "thumb brake" position to prevent an accidental discharge of the light. Others think this is wrong and hang the light off the weak side rail using the same mount. There are so many choices, the mind boggles. I have a PolyTac LED. I was thinking of handing it off a VTAC mount (inexpensive, but not cheap). What do you guys think?

Steve S.
06-15-2012, 10:59 AM
I think if an X300 meets your demands out of a light, and you don't mind the activation style; 12 o'clock is hard to beat. This depends on the rail.

Light placement for me depends on the rail. My ideal is 1 o'clock, but due to things line FSB on some guns I will have to run at 11. If the rail is too wide, it's back to 11 o'clock.

The ideal for me, as a righty, is something like a 6p or G2 at 1 o'clock with a thinner profile rail (not necessarily a tube; think DD Omega). This allows a solid thumb over bore grip.

For thicker rails and/ or a FSP being in the way, I like 11 o'clock in a Gear Sector offset mount. It allows me to tuck my thumb in under the light (on extended FSP rails) without getting burned by the FSP / gas block.

JRas
07-03-2012, 07:49 AM
ended up with this, excuse the cellphone quality
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5143/img2012062400045.jpg

TCinVA
07-03-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm another on the 12:00 with an X300 and 11:00 with any of the other Surefire options list. On my 6920 I have a G2 in a VLTOR ring mount that's attached to the front sight base. I run my thumb over the top of the rail. The positioning places the base of my left thumb right up against the tailcap of the Surefire, which is adjusted for the sensitivity I want depending on the situation. On a range day in the daylight, it's run out to stop the light from working. On home defense duty it's set to respond to moderate pressure.

l8apex
07-04-2012, 01:15 AM
+1 X300 at 1200.

Tamara
07-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Ugh.

My dilemma here is that, until I get an upper for the second lower I have lying about, my current-and-only carbine is sporting fixed standard-length rails and no option to change (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2787-Takedown-guns).

I briefly tried a DD OFM and stubby VFG but A) it didn't work well with a fat G2, and ii) all that crap needed to come off the bottom rail any time I wanted to remove the barrel.

So for a while, I didn't worry about a light. The carbine is very much a "if someone's trying to force their way in the front door" gun, and there's enough lights left burning around the house at night that I just left a spare G2 stowed next to it in case it turned into a " someone's trying to force their way in the front door in the middle of a power blackout" gun and filed it under Stuff I'll Fix When I Get Around To It.

Then I get this invite to shoot a midnight 3-gun match. I suck enough without having to juggle an off-weapon light and a carbine, so I quick-like ordered a TLR-1S and the only place I found for it that isn't total accidental-activation-city is at nine o'clock, and even then I have to shift my grip a bit further aft than I've been using...

*sigh* I need to be a good industry ho' and start pestering people for an upper with fashionably long handguards to T&E...

TCinVA
07-04-2012, 12:41 PM
I have a mount that attaches to the front sight base that I believe was made by Midwest industries. It solves your problem.

Tamara
07-04-2012, 12:49 PM
I have a mount that attaches to the front sight base that I believe was made by Midwest industries. It solves your problem.
Meet me out back by the B,S&T forums. I'll bring cash. :cool:

(It won't do anything weird like filling half the sight picture with the light bezel, or anything, right?)

joshs
07-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Ugh.

My dilemma here is that, until I get an upper for the second lower I have lying about, my current-and-only carbine is sporting fixed standard-length rails and no option to change (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2787-Takedown-guns).

Tam, if the problem is the light pushing your hand farther back on the handguard than you would like, then you may want to try one of these (http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/thorntail-for-hand-held-lights-by-iwc-and-haley-strategic-partners/) extended light mounts from impact weapons components. I haven't tried one, but if stuck with a cabine length rail, it seems like a good option.

Shawn.L
07-04-2012, 01:18 PM
I run a TLR-1 at 3 O'clock on a Troy tube. I have it placed so I can butterfly the switch with my middle and ring finger naturally in my natural grip location.

Kyle Defoor first turned me on to this during a class, and he wrote a blog post about the concept here
http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/07/build-gun-around-you-not-you-around-gun.html

For a long time I tried just mimicking other guys set ups, or changing pices of gear and then trying to learn how to work with them. The notion of making my gear work with ME, and setting up accessories (or anything really) for my style, body type, ect really resonated .

John Hearne
07-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Behold:

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/mossie-tactics/IMG_0055-1000-MT.jpg

Mossie Midnight Mount - available from Brownells
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=45575/Product/AR-15-M16-MOSSIE-MIDNIGHT-MOUNT

Odin Bravo One
07-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Won't take many rounds through that to make the lens nearly worthless.

LittleLebowski
07-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Yup, that concept has been around a while. Ned Christiansen has had the ILM (http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php#) out for a while.

Behold:

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/mossie-tactics/IMG_0055-1000-MT.jpg

Mossie Midnight Mount - available from Brownells
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=45575/Product/AR-15-M16-MOSSIE-MIDNIGHT-MOUNT

Tamara
07-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Tam, if the problem is the light pushing your hand farther back on the handguard than you would like, then you may want to try one of these (http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/thorntail-for-hand-held-lights-by-iwc-and-haley-strategic-partners/) extended light mounts from impact weapons components. I haven't tried one, but if stuck with a cabine length rail, it seems like a good option.
I'm geeking pretty hard on that one, plus it would let me use one of my spare handhelds and move the TLR over to a pistol.

joshs
07-05-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm geeking pretty hard on that one, plus it would let me use one of my spare handhelds and move the TLR over to a pistol.

YMMV, but on a carbine I also much prefer the switching of Surefire's classic lights and the Scout to any of the pistol lights. I've tried to like the X300 at 12 o'clock because I think it makes for a very "clean" mounting solution, but the switching is very bothersome for me when trying to use the momentary function while shooting fast.

orionz06
07-05-2012, 10:38 AM
I like the 12:00 X300/TLR-1 because not only can I access it my 4'10" wife can also manipulate it without issue as well. I have a few other carbines that have 1:30 mounted lights with tailcap switches that she cannot access easily. Those have G2's mounted.

Crow Hunter
07-05-2012, 11:35 AM
I run a TLR-1 at 3 O'clock on a Troy tube. I have it placed so I can butterfly the switch with my middle and ring finger naturally in my natural grip location.

Kyle Defoor first turned me on to this during a class, and he wrote a blog post about the concept here

For a long time I tried just mimicking other guys set ups, or changing pices of gear and then trying to learn how to work with them. The notion of making my gear work with ME, and setting up accessories (or anything really) for my style, body type, ect really resonated .

I am glad I am not the only one.:D

I use a very similar setup, but I use an X300.

I did the Classic P series at 11:00 with a Vltor scout mount and a MI FSB mount for about a year but it weighed more than I wanted it to and I would occasionaly have light AD's although I really liked the setup. (Like blinding myself when pulling a gun out of the safe.:o)

I was thinking about going clicky tail cap to fix the AD's but I really didn't like the weight of the system so I thought I would give something else a try based on some recommendations.

I thought I would try a DD Omega rail with a X300 mounted and try moving it around. I figured if I didn't like it I could sell the DD and put the X300 on my G19.

3:00 wound up being the most comfortable/repeatable position for me and it REALLY lightened up the forend.

I figured I was the only one.

phidelta308
07-06-2012, 03:39 AM
Here's another one that attaches to the front sight block:

http://www.elzetta.com/webpages/zfh1500.htm

I have one on my AR, and it's held up to sustained rapid fire. It holds my Surefire G2 nicely, and it included some shims for smaller lights. Activation is simple... push forward with your support hand against the front sling swivel. If you don't have a front sling swivel, install the light further back in the mount and push the button with your hand.

I don't have a railed hand guard on my AR, and don't really need one. The only thing I wanted to add was a light, so this setup works great and doesn't add a lot of weight or change the balance of the carbine.

TCinVA
07-06-2012, 07:51 AM

It's what I would buy in your position if I was committed to the TLR-1 as my light.

My MI mount is currently the light mount on my carbine so I shan't be selling it anytime soon, I'm afraid:

I have the 04 model and in combo with a VLTOR mount and a G2 light (with LED lamp element) it's a very efficient package. Like Josh, I prefer the switching on the G2 to the X200/X300 style switching for carbine work as I can operate it with just the base of my thumb without interfering with my usual grip. I could get used to an X300 if I wanted to, but I don't want to. :o

JHC
07-06-2012, 09:37 AM
It's what I would buy in your position if I was committed to the TLR-1 as my light.

My MI mount is currently the light mount on my carbine so I shan't be selling it anytime soon, I'm afraid:

I have the 04 model and in combo with a VLTOR mount and a G2 light (with LED lamp element) it's a very efficient package. Like Josh, I prefer the switching on the G2 to the X200/X300 style switching for carbine work as I can operate it with just the base of my thumb without interfering with my usual grip. I could get used to an X300 if I wanted to, but I don't want to. :o

That's what I use on a BCM lightweight middie with fixed FSB. TLR-3 at 9:00. Tried the same setup with a G2 at 3:00 on advice of a more experienced shooter who does the MagPul Dynamics top over grasp but I don't care for that myself and prefer the 9:00 position.

Jay Cunningham
07-06-2012, 09:46 AM

Anywhere in the upper arc of the gun is usually good, from 10:30 to 1:30 as you read the clock.

I've use x300s at the 12:00, which is a nice option and intuitively ambidextrious. I also like the SF Mini-Scout light tucked into a corner. The Danger Close mount is great, and the Mount-N-Slot IWC stuff has a huge array of options.

Little Creek
07-06-2012, 11:17 AM

I just took the Streamlight off my G22 and put it on a 2" rail at 9 O'Clock (I am LH) close to the front of my 13" TROY/VTAC ALPHA BATTLERAIL. I can work the rocking tailswitch with my index and middle fingers. This combination works for me. Thanks to you for posting the link. Thanks to Kyle Defoor for the post. This is only one of several good ideas that have come my way through this forum. Thanks to all who contribute.

Al T.
07-06-2012, 11:40 AM
That's what I use on a BCM lightweight middie with fixed FSB

I like that mount. Don't have one yet, but that would solve a problem for me.

Thanks for helping me spend more money. :D

shootist26
07-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Surefire G2 LED on a thorntail mount. It places the light out forward of the FSB at 11 o clock and tight inline with the gun.

jstyer
07-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Surefire G2 LED on a thorntail mount. It places the light out forward of the FSB at 11 o clock and tight inline with the gun.

My preferred setup as well.

Malamute
12-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Has anyone mounted a light on a lever action? I'm thinking of 9:00 off the magazine tube to be able to reach the tail cap with the left thumb. It throws light on the front sight, which seems annoying. Is this an issue, or should I just try to get used to it? 6:00 seemed a possibility, but looks like it may be a problem with the sling.

EricP
12-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Has anyone mounted a light on a lever action? I'm thinking of 9:00 off the magazine tube to be able to reach the tail cap with the left thumb. It throws light on the front sight, which seems annoying. Is this an issue, or should I just try to get used to it? 6:00 seemed a possibility, but looks like it may be a problem with the sling.

Superior Firearms has some nice options. Check out page three and four of their lever gun gallery. http://www.superiorfirearmsllc.com/photo-gallery.html?view=album&album=5504185057578779681&page=3

I don't see why you couldn't just screw a section of rail to the fore end as a cheaper alternative. You might have to taper the rail section so the beam stays parallel to the bore.

Malamute
12-29-2013, 07:00 PM
I know how I'm going to do it, just not exactly where.

I have a single base for Ruger rings which I'm going to silver solder to the magazine tube and use a Ruger ring for the light mount. When its off the gun, the base won't be too noticeable. I'm not shy about modifying guns, but try to keep it as clean as I can. I already have all those parts in hand as well. The Ruger ring bases are much smaller than the Weaver type. Not really wanting to do a rail on a Browning 92, and it may get some high grade wood as well.

1986s4
01-03-2014, 10:07 AM
I have a standard Colt carbine upper with the standard plastic handguards. I've seen pics of handguards that go around a fixed FSB and put rail in front of the FS. Who makes that and what do they call it?
Thanks,
1986s4

peterb
01-03-2014, 11:02 AM
It throws light on the front sight, which seems annoying. Is this an issue, or should I just try to get used to it?

You could probably make a short or partial hood for the light if the glare on the sight is a problem.

I was able to take advantage of that spill on one of my shotguns, where I found that my light did a great job lighting up the extended fiber-optic front sight(Lyman Uni-Dot). When the light's on I have a very bright, illuminated bead. If the fiber is damaged the stock metal bead is still in place as a backup.

wilco423
01-03-2014, 11:35 AM
I have a standard Colt carbine upper with the standard plastic handguards. I've seen pics of handguards that go around a fixed FSB and put rail in front of the FS. Who makes that and what do they call it?
Thanks,
1986s4

You have options. Here's a few:
Daniel Defense Omega FSP pocket 12" (https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems/omega-x-railtm-12-0-fsp-carbine.html)
Midwest Industries Gen 2 12" two piece
(http://midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=422)Troy Industries Charlie (https://troyind.com/products/charlie-blk)

There's others, of course, these are just a few off the top of my head. DD is fairly bomb proof, but spendy. Troy seems pretty decent for the money. No personal experience with the MI.

1986s4
01-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Thanks Wilco. The MI is the least expensive, I wonder how is the quality? Maybe others have experience with MI. I put off getting an AR until I could afford a quality example. Willing to follow that formula again.

R0CKETMAN
01-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks,
1986s4

Centurion on my Colt...X300 removed

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/rocketmanmtb/cd0372e5f5ad97f6d0aebbb1721dd1bd_zps0d6bafe1.jpg

shootist26
01-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Thanks Wilco. The MI is the least expensive, I wonder how is the quality? Maybe others have experience with MI. I put off getting an AR until I could afford a quality example. Willing to follow that formula again.

I ran one of those MI blocks for a while, including through a redback one carbine class. It worked fine. Only downside is that it makes the carbine noticeably front heavy. When I swapped it for a DD rail and Thorntail mount, my carbines balance felt better.

Malamute
01-05-2014, 01:31 PM
You could probably make a short or partial hood for the light if the glare on the sight is a problem.

I was able to take advantage of that spill on one of my shotguns, where I found that my light did a great job lighting up the extended fiber-optic front sight(Lyman Uni-Dot). When the light's on I have a very bright, illuminated bead. If the fiber is damaged the stock metal bead is still in place as a backup.

Thanks for the comment. I had thought about the hood idea, I can try it if it seems a problem I guess. I didn't know if others had problems with it when shining on the sight or not. Many light mounts I see have the light shining on the sight, but that doesn't mean its a great idea.

I can understand the light on the sight may help in some instances, like in your case. If it washes out the target, such as a large dark furry animal in dark forest, it could be embarrassing. Having it underneath gives a backlit shadow effect to the sight. This is all new to me, so don't have anything to go on yet. I think it will be side mounted and see how it goes.

Surf
01-08-2014, 05:24 PM
I remember the first quad rail I got. Stuck a pistol light on there just to check rail spec / fitment. Ran it that way for shits and giggles and people thought I was a bit off. The progression of higher power LED's put out way more then enough light for indoor rifle use. This was pretty much before longer than carbine length rails became the norm. I initially used a 6 o'clock mount as that is where my shotgun light forends held the light and then tried side mounting the light but it always seemed to get in the way of my grip on a carbine length rail. When the first FSB cutout quad rails hit the market I picked one up with the intention of getting the light forward of the FSB to not interfere with my grip. I then noted why the hell am I using a 6 o'clock mount when some of the Surefire forends for the M4 and shotguns had with a finger actuated pads higher on the weapon?

With the longer FSB cuts with rails at 6 and 9 on the sides of the FSB I then side mounted the light at 9 o'clock and as a right hander it worked great but as a lefty it was not very ambi friendly. Then with the advent of FSB cutout rails like the DD that had a top rail instead of only side rails, I realized that the light itself on a pistol is pretty ambi friendly so I figured I could reach the light if it was on the top rail in front of the FSB. When I first slapped the light on at the 12 O'clock I wasn't even sure if it would fit in front of the FSB or if it would block the sight picture for the irons as I had never seen it done at 12 o'clock before much less people even running the pistol lights on rifles at that time. I'll be damned if it was meant to go there had many advantages and few draw backs. I ran it that way in many courses and was seen in many of my past video's running it like that. Initially I caught mostly quizzical looks, curiosity and some negativity claiming that it would interfere too much with the sight picture and the irons, but overwhelmingly got positive responses from those who tried my rifle set up. Prior to the minimalist tubes now, most of my rifles back then sported the Omega X FSB rails when they eventually hit the market and I ran mostly Surefire lights at 12. Still have a few in that configuration to this day. While I opt for the modern tube set ups with lo pro blocks and rail mounted irons, I still maintain a 12 O'clock in front of the front sight with a Surefire or TLR mounted there.

Not the first time I ever got funny looks over some type of set up I ran back in the day. :)

Suvorov
01-31-2014, 06:06 PM
Is the G2L still a competitive or is there something else in that price range that you would recommend?

What remote switch are folks running with their G2s or is this simply a click switch?

Anyone with any experience with the LowPro mounts?

Rich
01-31-2014, 06:21 PM
Is the G2L still a competitive or is there something else in that price range that you would recommend?

What remote switch are folks running with their G2s or is this simply a click switch?

Anyone with any experience with the LowPro mounts?

I use to use a G2 .But If I was going to buy a hand held light today it would be the surefire G2X that's 300 lumen or the fury P2x 500 lumen

FURY P2X Warning The box states not for weapons use! But for HD/SD and even LE I think it would be fine. Full Auto might beat it up. I also don't know the water proof rating.

I used a G2 incandescent on a LMT Defender 2000 back in 2003 and have fired over 3000rds with the bulb or filament breaking,

I still have the G2 and Viking tatics mount . All you would have to do is buy a 50$ makoff LED head then you would be good to go as long as you had a rail.

secondstoryguy
01-31-2014, 06:29 PM
I just got one of the Rosche SL1 sight lights and I like it. I needed something compact for a short-railed rifle and it works well. Good throw and seems to be very well made. Here's a link: http://roschworks.com/?no_redirect=true

BoppaBear
01-31-2014, 08:00 PM
I'm running a SF M300B at 3 o'clock, with an SR07 dual activation tape switch on the 12 o'clock rail. I like it so far.

Malamute
04-11-2014, 05:57 PM
I have the light mount on the lever gun. I used a scope base for a Ruger ring, as its much more compact and cleaner than the weaver/picatinny type base. It's silver soldered on the magazine tube, and is pretty unobtrusive when the light is detached. It's easy to reach to activate the tail cap with my left thumb when holding the gun two handed. It lights up the front sight, I'm not sure how much I like it doing that, I may do a small shade. The plan is to trim the barrel 3" also, that may take care of the sight being lit up. Gun is a Browning 92 44 mag.

A Surefire 6p works well in the 1" Ruger scope ring.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/Odds%20and%20ends%20online/IMG_5944_zpsdbd8983c.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/Odds%20and%20ends%20online/IMG_5945_zps4362ca77.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/Odds%20and%20ends%20online/IMG_5948_zps45d9aa20.jpg

Without the light,

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/Odds%20and%20ends%20online/IMG_5941_zpsfbf7f6c6.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/Odds%20and%20ends%20online/IMG_5942_zps28b9ab4e.jpg

Dr. No
04-11-2014, 07:52 PM
On my work gun I run my surefire scout at 11 and my laser at 3. It could be vice versa, running the CQB-L on the left side just gives me more hand room. I have a vampire head that fits on the scout light so when we deploy at night with NVGs I just unscrew the normal head and put on the vampire. Best of both worlds, and generally easy to do since there will be some time to spin up if I'm grabbing NVG gear.

backtrail540
04-12-2014, 12:55 AM
The Inforce WML is also an option, and they offer an ir version. Right now you are limited to 200 lumens, 175 I believe if you want the ir light, but they are coming out with the wmlx which will put out 500 lumens. I run one on my rifle at 12 in front of the front sight but it could just as easily be mounted at 9 or 3.

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/DSCI0164_zps0c25aa11.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/DSCI0164_zps0c25aa11.jpg.html)