PDA

View Full Version : AAR ECQC Abbotsford British Columbia.

smells like feet
06-11-2012, 07:58 PM
AAR's are not really my thing, but here goes.

ECQC, taught by Southnarc at the Abbotsford Fish and Game Club, and hosted by the Abbotsford Tactical Shooters shooting group.

Overall, this was a HUGE course...there were ideas from several different disciplines that were brought together in a format that is, at least to my knowledge, completely unique in Canada, and is probably rare globally. This course completely raised the bar, and it's the first "gun" course I have ever been on where guys dropped out from being too beat up/damaged to continue.

Day one had some introductions, and an interesting talk about criminal mindset from a guy who clearly has a great deal of hard won knowledge dealing with violent criminals. This was expanded into the idea of Managing Unknown Contacts...it's a concept that I am going to have to do some thinking on right now and may post more in the future.

There was also an intro to some fundamental Greco Roman wrestling ideas that have been modified for a weapons environment, with propper base, use of the head to move your adversary, and underhook control. There was also a few, very good lessons on the use of angles a cheap and easy strike, as well as an intro to a easy defensive position.

My head got sore, and more ugly than normal.

The "eye jab" might seem hokey to some people, but is actually a really nifty strike in this context...I have used eye attack techniques in the past and they do work...even the most drunk/cracked out nutcase will not like his eyes getting poked at.

Day 2.

Day two was a long, hard day and I am sure my summary will be inadequate...it started out on the range with building the #2 shooting position.

The afternoon went on with a progression on the grappling and underhook control, and it was physically very hard...and grappling is kind of my thing.

The emphasis and progression was to maintain posture so you don't get dumped on the ground, and you can isolate and control the adversaries limbs so that you can not suffer a gun grab, and eventually access your weapon.

Then we moved to the ground for some jits inspired fundamental groundwork.

This day kicked the shit out of me, but was really great.

Day 3.

Breakfast of Advil.

Started off with a session on the range working compressed/extention shooting and transitioning between the two.

Then the scenarios began.

Two on One encounters engaging in entangled grappling, groundfighting and gungrabbing, with an emphasis on IFWA.

Studied both weapons retention and disarms.

This was challenging, humbling and exhausting...even though no one was an experienced role player, everyones MUC and decision making skills were challenged and critiqued.

Overall.....

This is almost not a pistol course...it's a savage intro to Hybrid Greco for the street when you have a gun.

If you don't carry a gun on a daily basis (and in Canada, we generally don't), it's still hugely relevent.

As an intro to grappling for the street...wrestling/judo/grappling...they are all very technical disciplines that take years to learn, but in this particular area, you probably can't find a better weekend intro than what was offered on this course.

As an addition...The course participants were really great...I had met most of them before and the intro session was kind of a reunion, but everyone was really cool. Abbotsford Fish and Game is THE most progressive shooting club in BC right now.

Anyways, big thanks to Southnarc for coming up, and if anyone on here has questions, I will try and answer.

Graeme.

SouthNarc
06-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Graeme thanks for the kind words buddy and it was REALLY great having you in the coursework! Definitely want to see you again bro'! :)