PDA

View Full Version : 2" snubby + 158gr 357 Magnum = Sore hand

Canyonrat
08-30-2020, 04:25 PM
Wow, I had seen people comment about a "stinger" or say their hand was sore the next day after shooting 357 Magnum from a small revolver. But my right hand near the base of the thumb is sore and so far not improving. Wondering if I just seriously irritated the joint, or if I could have a minor fracture.

Story behind this is I got interested in the Kimber K6s, and settled on a 2" with the enclosed hammer and stock rubber grip. This was to use as an alternative to my typical compact 15-rd 9mm type of semi-auto, possibly more comfortable to carry. At the range I tried .38 special first, no prob in the K6s. So I had some old 357 Mag RWS range ammo, FMJ round-nose 158 grain. Got through about 30 rounds I think. The first couple cylinders hurt, but of course I told myself to "man up" and shoot more. This was a week and a half ago, in certain directions of stress the base of my thumb is still really complaining.

So, I am 6'4", 210lbs and have really big hands, to the point where most XL gloves are too small. I shot a bunch of 357 Magnum out of my GP100 just a few weeks back, no issue. I have never had hand-pain after shooting in my life, and I have shot some big rounds like .45 Super out of an HK USP and never noticed anything afterwards. It seems like a combination of that short grip on the K6s and the completely exposed backstrap did a number on the base of my thumb. I have the "Control Core" grip ordered and on the way from Kimber but they are slow to ship. Probably a good thing, and also good that the range I belong to was closed for de-leading this week or I would have been abusing my hand with some other pistol. Big Dummy.

RJ
08-30-2020, 04:30 PM
Damn. Sorry to hear.

I am a wimp. I only shoot Federal GMM Wadcutters out of my .38 Ruger LCR. I shot a standard .38 round out of an Airweight J frame once. I did not like it. I can't imagine what a .357 out of snubby would feel like.

SiriusBlunder
08-30-2020, 05:21 PM
Damn. Sorry to hear.

I am a wimp. I only shoot Federal GMM Wadcutters out of my .38 Ruger LCR. I shot a standard .38 round out of an Airweight J frame once. I did not like it. I can't imagine what a .357 out of snubby would feel like.

I found out this morning.

While I was shooting up 25 rounds of old carry ammo (GD .38 Special+P 135s) in my LCR .357, my buddy was shooting 158 .357 Mag FMJs in a SAA.

I don't think the GDs are too bad in this LCR, but 25 rounds of +P at one time is plenty for me in a 17 oz snub as I have some nerve damage (probably from 20 years of shooting .40). I just had to try the .357s, though.

I was done after the first 2, but I had to fire the last 3 so as to not look wimpy (his cute trophy wife was there, too). Never again, unless it's the zombie apocalypse and .357 is all I can find. Even then, I may have to think about it...

For the OP, hope it gets better soon. I shared your pain for 4-5 hours today.

BehindBlueI's
08-30-2020, 05:24 PM
Like high-fiving a sledge hammer...

FrankB
08-30-2020, 05:24 PM
I carry Federal Micro HST .38 Special in my J frame revolvers. Lucky Gunner did some pretty extensive testing with tons of defensive loads, and used both 2” and 4” revolvers:
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/
I know it’s not only ballistic gel, but it’s also clear ballistics gel. It does give us a peek into how these various rounds perform, however. I solved this problem last week, when I bought an N frame .357 magnum.

Stephanie B
08-30-2020, 06:15 PM
Like high-fiving a sledge hammer...

This guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGYKU7mbv74

Canyonrat
08-30-2020, 06:21 PM
This guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGYKU7mbv74

Hahahaha! Nope, I didn't do any flippy tricks before firing. But I also clearly did not know what I was doing (to myself). :p

gato naranja
08-31-2020, 06:06 AM
Wow, I had seen people comment about a "stinger" or say their hand was sore the next day after shooting 357 Magnum from a small revolver. But my right hand near the base of the thumb is sore and so far not improving. Wondering if I just seriously irritated the joint, or if I could have a minor fracture.

Story behind this is I got interested in the Kimber K6s, and settled on a 2" with the enclosed hammer and stock rubber grip. This was to use as an alternative to my typical compact 15-rd 9mm type of semi-auto, possibly more comfortable to carry. At the range I tried .38 special first, no prob in the K6s. So I had some old 357 Mag RWS range ammo, FMJ round-nose 158 grain. Got through about 30 rounds I think. The first couple cylinders hurt, but of course I told myself to "man up" and shoot more. This was a week and a half ago, in certain directions of stress the base of my thumb is still really complaining.

So, I am 6'4", 210lbs and have really big hands, to the point where most XL gloves are too small.

I'm 5'9" and shrinking, have medium hands and am close to retirement. Around the year 2000, I took a new Contender with a .44 magnum 10" barrel out for sighting in with some factory JSP and proceeded to have WAY less fun than I expected. I got rid of that rig within the month and have increasingly avoided the painful stuff ever since. Once in a while I get fooled by some sadist into trying his new "soft kicking" shooting iron or delude myself into touching off something that turns out to be unpleasant, but .357 Magnum in medium or hot loads out of any 2" or light 3" revolver are off my list. Rubber grips with lots of area are my friend, though any grip protruding below my pinkie finger is wasted.

I had some serious bruising after a session a few years back when I tried to tough out an unfortunate session trying out some recommendations, but nothing was fractured or broken. The real damage was a hearty new flinch that took a while to get over. I don't "man up" anymore, and if somebody gets their jackass on about it, I just grin and ignore it, knowing I will not be the one going home to put one hand in a bucket of ice while wondering which physical therapist I will end up with.

Rick R
08-31-2020, 09:51 AM
Once upon a time our Chief Deputy ordered a Scandium S&W snubby as a T&E with the goal of issuing everybody one as an off duty / backup gun. He also ordered a case of 125gr .357 Gold Dots.

The testing sessions all ran like:
1) load gun with 5 rounds
2) fire two rounds
3) turn to next person in line
4) carefully hand them the loaded gun from your now numb hand while saying
5) “here you finish it”

That little blaster went back to S&W
:D

My wife’s.38 LCR isn’t bad with 158gr standard loads but +P anything are kinda obnoxious. I wouldn’t want to shoot magnums in the same format gun.

Baldanders
08-31-2020, 10:02 AM
125 grain full-power .357 out of my 640 is an experience I have promised myself I won't repeat.

Hi-fiving a sledgehammer is about right. My preferred comparison is laying out your hand to take a baton strike to your palm.

Remember, pain is a signal you're doing something bad.

TCinVA
08-31-2020, 10:24 AM
There's a reason why people who really know small revolvers often keep them loaded with wadcutters. To really get what is possible from a 158 grain .357 magnum load you need at least a 4" barrel. And even then, it's going to be pretty damn zippy even out of an N frame with a longer barrel.

In a snub you're mainly getting extra flash and hellacious, downright painful recoil. A combination of revolver and ammo that absolutely punishes you with every press of the trigger will help guarantee that the compromised performance you get from that .357 load is much less likely to be delivered to a spot on the dude who wants to hurt you that will count.

It's going to take multiple shots with a handgun of any sort to make someone stop their actions, so if you're using a snub you want to prioritize the ability to make multiple accurate shots in a hurry. That almost always contra-indicates .357 magnum loads in small revolvers.

I keep my model 12 loaded with match wadcutters. They shoot a tad low, but accurately...and crucially I can make multiple shots to a pretty small target at speed because the recoil isn't a problem.

Zincwarrior
08-31-2020, 10:36 AM

So, I am 6'4", 210lbs and have really big hands, to the point where most XL gloves are too small. I shot a bunch of 357 Magnum out of my GP100 just a few weeks back, no issue. I have never had hand-pain after shooting in my life, and I have shot some big rounds like .45 Super out of an HK USP and never noticed anything afterwards. It seems like a combination of that short grip on the K6s and the completely exposed backstrap did a number on the base of my thumb. I have the "Control Core" grip ordered and on the way from Kimber but they are slow to ship. Probably a good thing, and also good that the range I belong to was closed for de-leading this week or I would have been abusing my hand with some other pistol. Big Dummy.

I imagine most shoot .38s to practice with. I imagien practice is often minimal.
My first revolver was a 44mag. It was a beast. But when I shot specials through it, it was a happy kitten.

Duelist
08-31-2020, 11:46 AM
My model 60-9 has had exactly five 110gr .357s through it. It wasn’t as obnoxious as I thought it was going to be, but it also wasn’t 158gr softpoints or hollow points. It was the last time any kind of .357 have been loaded in it. I may handload some 160gr 1000fps hard cast for hiking with it at some point.

Maybe.

I carry it sometimes, but mostly shoot it for practice instead of shooting my 642. My 642 has had some +p, and a couple boxes of full power 158s, but mostly gets light loads that aren’t much, if any, more powerful than a .380, and carried with match wadcutters.

Clusterfrack
08-31-2020, 12:18 PM
I was at a range next to a guy and his girlfriend. He handed her an ultralight .357 snubby and stood smirking as she fired it. BOOM. Then she quietly said, "You asshole," put the gun down and walked out. I'm guessing that guy didn't get laid.

gato naranja
08-31-2020, 12:18 PM
carried with match wadcutters

This is what I ended up carrying in a relatively heavy 2.25" SP101 despite chronic leading. Anything much stouter and my fast follow-up shots become more pattern than group. It isn't popgun recoil, but it is as close as anything gets to it in that revolver.

Half Moon
08-31-2020, 01:55 PM
This is what I ended up carrying in a relatively heavy 2.25" SP101 despite chronic leading. Anything much stouter and my fast follow-up shots become more pattern than group. It isn't popgun recoil, but it is as close as anything gets to it in that revolver.

Out of stock, and prices are up if they were in stock:

https://precisiononeammunition.com/product/38-special-148gr-cpwc-new/

Really like their plated wadcutters to avoid the leading issues. Seems like quality ammo and my one interaction with their customer service folks left me thinking they were nice folks. I'd ordered a case and got a call out of the blue: they couldn't fulfill the case out of one lot but if I'd be willing to wait a week for shipment they'd spin up a production run so everything would be from the same lot or they could ship a mixed lot immediately. Really nice touch on their part.

BillSWPA
08-31-2020, 02:17 PM
I first learned of this video from another post on this forum, and it is relevant here. One of the points made is that out of such a short barrel, .357 provides no more effectiveness than 9mm, at a cost of more shooter discomfort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YTOV4dYLQE

I tried one of the super-lightweight .357 revolvers once at a Smith & Wesson event. The first shot jammed the cylinder release into my thumb. The next 4 were not quite as bad, but were certainly not comfortable, fast, or accurate. The 5 holes in my target were in a very wide pattern (not group). Although the ability to shoot 3.57 is neat from a metalurgical standpoint, I would rather treat such guns as .38+p with added durability.

Clusterfrack
08-31-2020, 02:32 PM
I first learned of this video from another post on this forum, and it is relevant here. One of the points made is that out of such a short barrel, .357 provides no more effectiveness than 9mm, at a cost of more shooter discomfort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YTOV4dYLQE

I tried one of the super-lightweight .357 revolvers once at a Smith & Wesson event. The first shot jammed the cylinder release into my thumb. The next 4 were not quite as bad, but were certainly not comfortable, fast, or accurate. The 5 holes in my target were in a very wide pattern (not group). Although the ability to shoot 3.57 is neat from a metalurgical standpoint, I would rather treat such guns as .38+p with added durability.

Just watched the video, coincidentally while carrying a LCR 9mm.

FrankB
08-31-2020, 02:56 PM
A much better comparison of 9mm and .357, in both short and longer barrels: https://youtu.be/CD2t_qG9dls
Too long didn’t watch? NOT EVEN CLOSE 😉

Clusterfrack
08-31-2020, 03:21 PM
A much better comparison of 9mm and .357, in both short and longer barrels: https://youtu.be/CD2t_qG9dls
Too long didn’t watch? NOT EVEN CLOSE 😉

Don't make me call the Doc...
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4337-Service-Caliber-Handgun-Duty-and-Self-Defense-Ammo

Dave T
08-31-2020, 03:55 PM
When S&W first offered their J-frame revolver in 357 Magnum I wondered what on earth they were thinking. When they offered their Ultra-Lite J-frames in 357 Magnum I figured out they weren't thinking...they were marketing. They remembered what the original Dirty Harry movie did for 44 magnum sales. It doesn't need to be reasonable, or practical, or even effective. It just needs to sell.

YMMV,
Dave

Lester Polfus
08-31-2020, 03:56 PM
One advantage of steel frame J-frames chambered in .357 is you can use loads like the 125 grain Golden Saber, 135 Grain Gold Dot Short Barrel, and if memory serves, the Winchester PDX load. They fall into the "hotter than .38 Special, but not full rhino roller .357" category. Essentially they duplicate 9mm ballistics, without the hassle of moon clips and etc.

Reasonable minds con differ whether the juice is worth the squeeze.

I fired five 158 grain American Eagle .357 JSPs out of a friends LCR. That combination was useless for anything except aggravating my incipient arthritis. There are combinations of gun weight, ammo power and grips that might make a .357 small frame revolver sensible.

BillSWPA
08-31-2020, 05:14 PM
Too long didn’t watch? NOT EVEN CLOSE [emoji6]

The bulk of the video focuses on handguns with a 4” effective rifled barrel length. I have never seen any assertion on this forum that the two calibers are equal out of that barrel length.

Out of a 2” barrel, the author did find a smaller advantage with his choice of ammo. I question that any advantage that may exist is worth the decreased accuracy and increased time required for follow up shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hambo
08-31-2020, 05:17 PM
Once upon a time our Chief Deputy ordered a Scandium S&W snubby as a T&E with the goal of issuing everybody one as an off duty / backup gun. He also ordered a case of 125gr .357 Gold Dots.

The testing sessions all ran like:
1) load gun with 5 rounds
2) fire two rounds
3) turn to next person in line
4) carefully hand them the loaded gun from your now numb hand while saying
5) “here you finish it”

Too much recoil to shoot fast, and too light to pistol whip someone.

FrankB
08-31-2020, 05:17 PM
Both channels chose their ammo, and I believe Paul chronographed over 200 FPS more in a snubnose. Is that enough of a difference to make a difference? You be the judge.

Canyonrat
08-31-2020, 05:37 PM
I full well expected to carry the K6s with .38 Special +P. But I had to at least try out the .357, heck it said it on the barrel.

kitchen's mill
08-31-2020, 06:35 PM
One of the ideas behind .357 snubs was as a back up to a full size .357.

You could load the snub with a good .38 load and in a pinch reload it with the spare magnum ammo on the belt if your primary went down or was otherwise lost.

It simplified logistics.

I can't name a single incident were it solved a problem, but it was a perceived need.

Along the lines of a G17 backed up by a G26, they can share magazines.

Clusterfrack
08-31-2020, 07:51 PM
Both channels chose their ammo, and I believe Paul chronographed over 200 FPS more in a snubnose. Is that enough of a difference to make a difference? You be the judge.

I believe we already know .357 of any velocity is not a significant advantage against in humans, relative to recommended 9mm ammo. DocGKR
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4337-Service-Caliber-Handgun-Duty-and-Self-Defense-Ammo

FrankB
08-31-2020, 07:54 PM
I believe we already know .357 of any velocity is not a significant advantage against in humans, relative to recommended 9mm ammo. DocGKR

No argument from me regarding effectiveness. MAC stated that the 9mm was just as powerful as a .357 Magnum, and that was the day I unsubscribed.

BillSWPA
08-31-2020, 08:16 PM
No argument from me regarding effectiveness. MAC stated that the 9mm was just as powerful as a .357 Magnum, and that was the day I unsubscribed.

Despite the differences in the videos, one thing they do make clear is that the difference between .357 and 9mm is proportional to the barrel length. We have a greater difference at longer barrel lengths, and a smaller difference and shorter barrel lengths.

Is that difference worth the loss of accuracy? I performed significantly worse shooting a scandium .357 J frame than a subcompact 9 mm semi auto. Do we know of any component of stopping power that is more critical than accuracy?

Is that difference worth the increase in time required to make follow up shots against the accomplices of your attacker?

If we were talking about medium frame guns like a 2.5” K frame, 2.5” Python, or 2.5” Dan Wesson, then shootability becomes a much smaller issue. In that size gun, I would not hesitate to choose a .357. However, the subject of this thread is tiny, super lightweight J frames, for which the advantage is debatable, and the disadvantages are painfully clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrankB
08-31-2020, 08:50 PM
If we were talking about medium frame guns like a 2.5” K frame, 2.5” Python, or 2.5” Dan Wesson, then shootability becomes a much smaller issue. In that size gun, I would not hesitate to choose a .357. However, the subject of this thread is tiny, super lightweight J frames, for which the advantage is debatable, and the disadvantages are painfully clear.

I agree 100%. My J frames are all .38 Special, and I carry either Golden Saber +P, or Federal Micro HST +P. My wife loves bigger calibers, hence the Smith&Wesson 627 I just traded for. I shot someone’s little .40 S&W, and handed it right back. My Sig P229 in .40 is a pleasure to shoot.

medmo
09-01-2020, 12:38 AM
You need the new soft rubber over molded Hogues on that K6s. Much, much, much better than the Kimber Core. They take the sting out of the hot magnum loads. I still carry +P 38SPECS but with the Hogues I can run toasty magnum loads without the blood and tears. 38SPECs are still very pleasant and controllable in comparison.

gato naranja
09-01-2020, 07:56 AM
Do we know of any component of stopping power that is more critical than accuracy?

I have not seen evidence that anything is more critical.

The accuracy aspect - or maybe I should say the "controllability" aspect - is on each one of us to figure out for ourselves. Once I admitted to myself that the hard kickers were taking me too long to recover from between shots, I had to decide whether I was going to get serious about my limitations or go Walter Mitty. I chose the former. What I could handle from my late teens until my mid-40s changed because my own physical abilities changed; it was the joints, the muscles, accumulated injuries, the eyes... lots of variables. They are still changing, and at a faster rate now (or maybe it seems like a faster rate just because there is more road behind me than in front of me).

Just like with automobiles, motorcycles and aircraft: if I can't really control it I probably shouldn't operate it.

Canyonrat
09-01-2020, 08:34 AM
You need the new soft rubber over molded Hogues on that K6s. Much, much, much better than the Kimber Core. They take the sting out of the hot magnum loads. I still carry +P 38SPECS but with the Hogues I can run toasty magnum loads without the blood and tears. 38SPECs are still very pleasant and controllable in comparison.

medmo, so it sounds like you have had both the Control Core by Crimson Trace, and the Hogue grips? I had looked for a comparison. Are the Hogues significantly larger, side-by-side? I was particularly concerned about the Hogues being soft rubber they would be grippier on a shirt and more likely to print. Also not a huge fan of the pronounced finger grooves.

After this experience I have no plans to shoot .357 Mag out of that K6s again any time soon.

gato naranja
09-01-2020, 08:47 AM
Crimson Trace

Not Kimber-specific, but I have a set of Crimson Trace rubber overmolded laser grips on a 2.25" DAO SP101 and prefer them to any other grips - laser or no laser - I have used on this gun. The shape alone is peculiarly good.

medmo
09-01-2020, 09:43 AM
medmo, so it sounds like you have had both the Control Core by Crimson Trace, and the Hogue grips? I had looked for a comparison. Are the Hogues significantly larger, side-by-side? I was particularly concerned about the Hogues being soft rubber they would be grippler on a shirt and more likely to print. Also not a huge fan of the pronounced finger grooves.

After this experience I have no plans to shoot .357 Mag out of that K6s again any time soon.

Yes, I have the Core. See below for comparison. The Core were a huge upgrade over the factory wood which drew blood after a few cylinders full of toasty mag loads. I still had palm sting with the Core grips. No palm sting with the Hogue and toasty mag loads are now shootable. The Hogue feel softer and have more palm swell. Think that leads to more shock absorbency and a firmer grip. Even discounting the recoil absorbency I still prefer the Hogue because I feel like I can get a more firm and higher grip. I have AIWB-ed all three grips with my K6s under an untucked t. Haven’t noticed printing or fabric grabbing with the Hogue.59741

Canyonrat
09-01-2020, 09:54 AM
Yes, I have the Core. See below for comparison. The Core were a huge upgrade over the factory wood which drew blood after a few cylinders full of toasty mag loads. I still had palm sting with the Core grips. No palm sting with the Hogue and toasty mag loads are now shootable. The Hogue feel softer and have more palm swell. Think that leads to more shock absorbency and a firmer grip. Even discounting the recoil absorbency I still prefer the Hogue because I feel like I can get a more firm and higher grip. I have AIWB-ed all three grips with my K6s under an untucked t. Haven’t noticed printing or fabric grabbing with the Hogue.

Thanks for the pic and info! Any comment on what holster you AIWB? Kydex offerings been slim for the K6s. I just got a Concealment Express yesterday, but I am not a fan of the lack of sweat guard.

Rex G
09-01-2020, 10:04 AM
I have not seen evidence that anything is more critical.

The accuracy aspect - or maybe I should say the "controllability" aspect - is on each one of us to figure out for ourselves. Once I admitted to myself that the hard kickers were taking me too long to recover from between shots, I had to decide whether I was going to get serious about my limitations or go Walter Mitty. I chose the former. What I could handle from my late teens until my mid-40s changed because my own physical abilities changed; it was the joints, the muscles, accumulated injuries, the eyes... lots of variables. They are still changing, and at a faster rate now (or maybe it seems like a faster rate just because there is more road behind me than in front of me).

Just like with automobiles, motorcycles and aircraft: if I can't really control it I probably shouldn't operate it.

Wise words.

I backed away from N-Frames, and big-bore Magnums, about 1990. I could only get enough finger in the trigger, in DA mode, if the trigger was thinnest version, preferably with the face and front edges rounded-off, and the skimpiest of grip/stock panels. I fired far too many Magnum rounds, in the Eighties, with grips that compelled me to use an “h” hold, which was unhealthy for the base joint of my thumb, and my wrist. I only kept the one N-Frame, that had/has the most sentimental value, my former-SAPD-issued Model 58 duty revolver, that became my personally-owned duty revolver. I probably did the most damage with my Model 629, which had the standard wider trigger.

After two .45 autos presented me with issues, I reverted to duty revolvers, In 1991, being comfortable, by then, with .357 Mag street performance, having accepted that big bores were simply unnecessary for human opponents. I had sold or traded the S&W L-Frames, with which I started, but had a wonderful GP100, with factory grips that made me wonder if the designer was a twin, from whom I had been separated at birth.

I was still shooting max-pressure 125-grain ammo from SP101 revolvers as recently as the Snubby Summit, in 2005, but within a relatively few years had backed-away from the full-pressure stuff in anything smaller/lighter than full-lug GP100 revolvers. (Edited to add: I was age 44, at the time of the Snubby Summit.)

medmo
09-01-2020, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the pic and info! Any comment on what holster you AIWB? Kydex offerings been slim for the K6s. I just got a Concealment Express yesterday, but I am not a fan of the lack of sweat guard.

See below and please don’t judge. It’s a Desantis Nemesis that i “Gomer-fied” with adding a pad for grip tuck. Not pretty but it works. I’ve been looking for something in kydex also. Please let me know how CE works out or if you find any other promising options? Thanks

RevolverRob
09-01-2020, 10:43 AM
My next snub will probably be a big bore, but there is nothing pleasant about shooting 158-grain magnums from anything shorter than a 4" barrel. I won't/don't shoot them in a 3" gun, lighter 110s or 125s are ideal for 3" guns.

For lightweight snubs - Gold Dot short barrel, 158-grain Remington LHPs, or wadcutters - that's basically all I carry.

scbair
09-02-2020, 07:50 AM
No question that accuracy is paramount, but power is also a factor. Otherwise, the pros would all be carrying .22s.

I totally agree the lightweight snubbies are completely incompatible with magnum ammo. I fired 2 .357 rounds through a fellow shooter's Scandium snubbie, and returned the revolver and 3 unfired rounds to its owner. Never again ...

That said, I do carry .357 mags in my EDC snubbie, a Hogue-stocked Ruger SP101. I'm too old to be a really competitive shooter, anymore, but can consistently pass the old 5x5 test (5 rounds in a 5" circle at 5 yards, within 5 seconds, repeated 5 times). I use 125 gr SJHPs, as I believe this is the most effective round available for defensive use in this cartridge.

I carry the SP101 in preference to a lighter weapon, as I can't control this powerful round from a lighter platform. If I carry my LCR for any reason, I use .38 +P 135 gr. Gold Dots.

Canyonrat
09-02-2020, 11:17 PM
BTW the grasp second from the bottom with support hand thumb wrapped around the back is what did me in:
http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/MICULEK2/miculek2.html

TCinVA
09-03-2020, 10:43 AM
BTW the grasp second from the bottom with support hand thumb wrapped around the back is what did me in:
http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/MICULEK2/miculek2.html

It's a good grip for minimizing the tendency of a J frame with typical concealment stocks on it to squirm in the hand as you work the trigger.

Stocks make a huge difference on revolvers and most J's ship with stocks meant to hide the gun rather than make shooting it comfortable.

The Rogers stocks on the stainless Bodyguard at the top make shooting it even with hot ammo very comfortable. It makes accuracy with the little revolver much easier, to the point that hitting bullseyes at 25 yards is easily doable. But those same stocks turn it into essentially a belt carry gun, giving it the same carry profile as a larger framed revolver that holds more ammunition and has better sights.

The blued gun has a set of Pachmayr stocks on it which are a nice in-between size. Smaller than the hand-filling Rogers stocks, but still larger than the typical "boot" style stocks that conceal most easily on revolvers. It's still a tad large for some pockets.

The 638 on the bottom has Crimson Trace stocks which mimic the size and overall profile of typical concealment stocks. They are durable, but slick and require applying a fair amount of grip force to keep the gun from squirming in the hand as you work the trigger. I've found the crush grip Miculek shows in the photo works well in keeping the gun still as you apply the torque necessary to work the trigger. The downside is that it stacks the two basal thumb joints on top of one another to lock the revolver down...which can concentrate felt recoil in the right joint. That can suck.

But with any of the small, lightweight revolvers full power 158 grain .357 is going to suck no matter how you hold it or what stocks you have on the gun.

medmo
09-09-2020, 02:25 AM
Kydex offerings been slim for the K6s. I just got a Concealment Express yesterday, but I am not a fan of the lack of sweat guard.

I ordered a C&G Covert and received it earlier today. Looks sturdy and fits well. Will start giving it a test ride right away.

farscott
09-09-2020, 04:18 AM
I like to shoot 158-grain lead SWC .357 Magnum at ~1100 fps from my three-inch SP-101. The reason for that is the barrel has the Weigand Hybra-Port treatment, the trigger is rounded, and the revolver wears the factory Ruger rubber grip with Zytel insert. It reduces the recoil impulse and muzzle rise from the pistol. The Ruger grip also fits my hand. The same load I find uncomfortable in a K-frame round butt as it does not fit my hand as well.

Rex G
09-09-2020, 11:41 AM
I like to shoot 158-grain lead SWC .357 Magnum at ~1100 fps from my three-inch SP-101. The reason for that is the barrel has the Weigand Hybra-Port treatment, the trigger is rounded, and the revolver wears the factory Ruger rubber grip with Zytel insert. It reduces the recoil impulse and muzzle rise from the pistol. The Ruger grip also fits my hand. The same load I find uncomfortable in a K-frame round butt as it does not fit my hand as well.

I never liked shooting Magnums through K-Frames with round-butts, either, and had a similar experience with the rounded GP100 factory grip. I would rather shoot an SP101, with its factory square-ish grip, than the same load through a rounded-K or rounded-GP100 grip. My several GP100 revolvers now all wear the original-pattern squared-butt grip, regardless of which grip was on the weapons, when I got them.

It also helps that the shooter can hold so high, on an SP101, with the factory grip, resulting in a quite low bore axis. Even without porting, there is very little muzzle rise.