PDA

View Full Version : Redi-Mag - useful or no?

LOKNLOD
08-30-2020, 11:32 AM
Redi-mags, Redimags, Redi-Mods - all the names for future search purposes.

Once upon a time, they were all the rage for carrying a spare mag on the gun. No ancillary gear required. But they seem to have disappeared from the marketplace.

I still have one floating around. Was thinking about it from the PDW/truck gun/compact AR pistol perspective. Does it make any sense? being able to have 60 rounds on the gun with nothing else to grab or carry is appealing. The bulk and manual of arms are the obvious drawbacks. I suppose they're in the way if you have a LAW folder, too (why does a LAW fold to that side, anyway?).

Anyone still a user of these?

Lester Polfus
08-30-2020, 12:19 PM

Once upon a time, they were all the rage for carrying a spare mag on the gun. No ancillary gear required. But they seem to have disappeared from the marketplace.

I still have one floating around. Was thinking about it from the PDW/truck gun/compact AR pistol perspective. Does it make any sense? being able to have 60 rounds on the gun with nothing else to grab or carry is appealing. The bulk and manual of arms are the obvious drawbacks. I suppose they're in the way if you have a LAW folder, too (why does a LAW fold to that side, anyway?).

Back in the bad old days, I used one for some stuff.

If you're going to be humping the gun around for days, without shooting it, it's a real pain in the ass. It makes the gun heavier, and provides little nooks and crannies for vegetation and stuff to get caught in.

If you're going on a short-term, CQB type thing where there's a possibility you're going to do a BUNCH of shooting, it has its uses.

As Joe Homemaker, it's hard for me to envision a scenario where I'm going to wind up in the encyclopedia after dumping a single 30-round mag, let alone having to reload with another, but your reality may be different.

Casual Friday
08-30-2020, 12:50 PM
A quick and cheap method for 2 mags on the gun is to take the styrofoam or plastic holder that is used in 50 round pistol ammo boxes and tape it between two mags, with the second mag being a bit higher to allow brass to eject clear the one on the right hand side of the gun. I learned that in a LAV class years ago and keep two loaded like that in my house gun.

I don't really think of it as only being useful if I burn through 30 rounds in a gun fight and need to reload, but also in the event of a mag failure/malfunction.

As far as why the Law folder folds to the left, probably because most people are right handed. When you deploy the gun from a bag or whatever it's stored in, you're likely to grab the pistol grip with your dominant hand and flip the stock/brace over into position with your off hand.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
08-30-2020, 01:21 PM

Re. your question, a Redi-Mod went on my AR when I SBR'd it in 2007 & it get's used once/twice a month as the SBR is my 3G RF currently.

That said if it were my bedroom long gun, only 1 mag would be in it but not relevant as the SBR's in a security cabinet & my bump in the night LG is a 1301T.

andre3k
08-30-2020, 01:37 PM
I use a Magpul Maglink with two 40rd PMAGS's because it was a cheaper solution than a D-60. I love it for 3-Gun. It does add weight to the gun, but that doesn't matter much when you're shooting 90 second stages. I wouldn't count it out for a duty gun, but you might be have to hold down a scene until SWAT arrives and weight might be a factor.

LOKNLOD
08-30-2020, 02:00 PM
Re. your question, a Redi-Mod went on my AR when I SBR'd it in 2007 & it get's used once/twice a month as the SBR is my 3G RF currently.

That said if it were my bedroom long gun, only 1 mag would be in it but not relevant as the SBR's in a security cabinet & my bump in the night LG is a 1301T.

Mine has been living on my SBR for a long time too. It's not primary for the house, that's a Glock I can run 1-handled more easily while managing kids and/or dogs.

I was thinking putting this on the AR pistol that may ride in the truck occasionally might be a logical niche. It's pretty LARPy (getting less so by the day, apparently), but if I had to bail out of a vehicle and had it with 2 mags attached, that seems handy...

user12358
08-30-2020, 02:12 PM
The LAW folder would block the ejection port if it swung to the right of the gun.

As far as the Redi-Mag, everyone I know that used to use them for various reasons has switched over to Magpul D-60s by now. Comparable weight without having to reload during the 60 rounds, not having to deal with the whole Redi-Mag and all its downsides, and the D-60 can be easily replaced with a standard 30 rounder if you are going to have to be carrying the rifle for a while.

Cookie Monster
08-30-2020, 02:19 PM
My home defense AR’s have the Magpul Maglink connecting two magazines.

I have an is inside threat gun with 55 grain bullets and a 300 lumen scout light. And an outdoor threat gun with 77 grain copper for some penetration into vehicles, 600 lumen scout light, and a 1-4 optic.

The more rounds is secondary, I like having a replacement for a part of the gun that fails. One of my take aways from Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle. The extra rounds are good as I am 45 to 60 minutes from a police response.

They make the guns heavier and handle different. Another solution would be a support bag with the gun for extra mags and maybe some medical but I think the Maglink is simpler.

LOKNLOD
08-30-2020, 02:37 PM
The LAW folder would block the ejection port if it swung to the right of the gun.

Can't (shouldn't) be fired while folded anyway?

Although... The forward assist is probably the real issue there. That side isn't flat to fold against.

user12358
08-30-2020, 02:51 PM
Can't (shouldn't) be fired while folded anyway?

Although... The forward assist is probably the real issue there. That side isn't flat to fold against.

On a DI AR it wouldn't matter if you fired it because the bolt doesn't move and nothing is ejected but the LAW was a pretty popular option for folding stocks on AR variants and other rifle that don't have a bolt carrier that cycles into the buffer tube before the vertical M1913 rail attachment method really took over.

Darth_Uno
08-31-2020, 05:34 AM
I’ve still got some metal “jungle clips” around here somewhere for bolting 2 mags together, similar to the Maglink. They’ve got their pros and cons but both seem like a more KISS solution than Redimag.

It’s a game of odds. Inside my home if I need more than 30 rounds I’m probably screwed anyway. Should the need arise to have a running gun battle around the neighborhood I should have time to throw on the war belt.

Redimag could also be the greatest thing since canned beer and I’m just missing out, you don’t know until you try I guess. I know there’s also some stocks that hold a spare mag.

rob_s
08-31-2020, 05:43 AM
I had a bit of a friendship with the founder of Boonie Packer many years ago. Helped him T&E some gear, etc.

I have what , I think, may be one of the first aluminum redimags and I still keep it attached to my suppressed SBR LARP gun.
https://www.redi-mag.com/product/machined-aluminum-redi-mag/

Back then, Travis Haley was the new hotness and he advocated for them, and he and Blue Force Gear where cutting down the steel ones to make them less bulky, cover less of the mag, and reduce weight. Boonie Packer was supplying the OG models to BFG for them to cut them down and sell them as the Redimod, but he still felt like if you wanted to save weight going aluminum was better and so he made the aluminum version

I don’t necessarily anticipate dragging out that particular AR and using it to defend the homestead, but it’s also the gun that comes with us when we evacuate for hurricanes, and I like knowing that I have an extra mag on there.

BTW there are several versions in the market. One drops BOTH mags when you press the mag release on the gun, and the other drops the mag in the Redimag independently with a second button on the device. I prefer the latter, and the aluminum ones come, I think, only in the independent format. I also believe that only the latter is available if buying new.

LOKNLOD
08-31-2020, 09:32 AM
Good history there.

I don’t think you can readily get a simultaneous release version anymore, but they’re floating around in the used market. Having had hands on both - I see the appeal of the simultaneous release model but really the potential speed can be overcome with training. There’s a lot more fiddlelyness to the simul version if you’re not trying to do a speed reload.

I had a bit of a friendship with the founder of Boonie Packer many years ago. Helped him T&E some gear, etc.

I have what , I think, may be one of the first aluminum redimags and I still keep it attached to my suppressed SBR LARP gun.
https://www.redi-mag.com/product/machined-aluminum-redi-mag/

Back then, Travis Haley was the new hotness and he advocated for them, and he and Blue Force Gear where cutting down the steel ones to make them less bulky, cover less of the mag, and reduce weight. Boonie Packer was supplying the OG models to BFG for them to cut them down and sell them as the Redimod, but he still felt like if you wanted to save weight going aluminum was better and so he made the aluminum version

I don’t necessarily anticipate dragging out that particular AR and using it to defend the homestead, but it’s also the gun that comes with us when we evacuate for hurricanes, and I like knowing that I have an extra mag on there.

BTW there are several versions in the market. One drops BOTH mags when you press the mag release on the gun, and the other drops the mag in the Redimag independently with a second button on the device. I prefer the latter, and the aluminum ones come, I think, only in the independent format. I also believe that only the latter is available if buying new.

theJanitor
08-31-2020, 11:29 AM
I've got two redi-mods, and they fill the role for what I need them for. To me, they're better than a 60rd drum which I see some guys going to. Don't get the simultaneous release one. if you have a malfunction that requires you to strip out a mag, you might find yourself dumping the good mag on the ground too

JJN
08-31-2020, 12:54 PM
I think couplers (like MagPul's) get you there, but in a detachable way.

Erick Gelhaus
08-31-2020, 01:42 PM
As to why they fell out of favor, I'm not sure. After hearing the stories about Takur Ghar, I'm not a fan of having all/most of my available rounds in one or two 100rd magazines; yet, I've seen guys displaying work rifles with 60rd or 100rd magazines in them.

In what role are you using it?

Mounted or dismounted infantry? Nope, not using it. I've got enough load-bearing capability available;

In uniformed cop work? Yup, I'm using it and I did from the latter 00s until I retired last year. If I had to grab the carbine, patrol rifle, whatever from the rack and go - it meant I always had a reload on the weapon.

Decent, normal human? YMMV. If for some reason some group decided to target you and your home, it might be a good idea.

Using the Redi-Mod ... unlike a buttstock mag pouch, you can work bi-laterally without issues;
... unlike magazines clamped together, you don't lose your spare magazine after you fat-finger the mag release unintentionally;

I've got one on my primary and more than one in a box in the event I need to spin up another AR.

JRB
08-31-2020, 01:49 PM
I rather like the Redi-mag or the buttstock mag pouches for admin clearing and carry of a conventional 30 round mag, that allows me to stay 'full' on my IOTV/Belt/whatever other gear I'm carrying without having to keep an empty pouch available for the loose mag. Redi-mags are all but extinct from the Army, though. There's a similar mag carrier used by the IDF that orients the magazine 90* forward of the mag well so it's immediately clear that the weapon is not loaded, and I think that works better for this purpose than the Redi-mag, which could seem to be a mag in the well from the wrong perspective. That's why I preferred the buttstock pouch over the Redi-mag.

theJanitor
08-31-2020, 02:21 PM
I think couplers (like MagPul's) get you there, but in a detachable way.

I'm not a fan of the couplers. The top round of the spare mag is not secure, and the mags are susceptible to dirt, mud, etc. The redi-mod, covers the mag, and also takes the pressure off the feed lips of the second mag. And if you have a mag failure with a coupled mag, it's a bitch to get the gun back running, because you're probably clearing the rifle with a coupled mag in your hand.

The redi-mod has the added benefit of always keeping the reload in the same, accessible place (chest v. belt). If you do utilize the spare mag, feed another mag into the redimag when you can. Also, if you need to use your spare mag, and you're in a confined spot, or lying on your spare mags, loading from the redimag is way easier.

JJN
08-31-2020, 03:29 PM
I'm not a fan of the couplers. The top round of the spare mag is not secure, and the mags are susceptible to dirt, mud, etc. The redi-mod, covers the mag, and also takes the pressure off the feed lips of the second mag. And if you have a mag failure with a coupled mag, it's a bitch to get the gun back running, because you're probably clearing the rifle with a coupled mag in your hand.

The redi-mod has the added benefit of always keeping the reload in the same, accessible place (chest v. belt). If you do utilize the spare mag, feed another mag into the redimag when you can. Also, if you need to use your spare mag, and you're in a confined spot, or lying on your spare mags, loading from the redimag is way easier.

Legit points I had not considered. Thanks.