PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LC9 / LC380 (original hammer fired)

Welder
08-29-2020, 07:12 PM
A search here for LC9 said the search term was too short. An LC380 search found a 2013 thread by Casual Friday who was considering a used one but it had some failures to feed and he abandoned the idea. Curious if any other experience.

I'm kinda in the same boat that C.F. was, I can get one of these for a few bucks if I want it. An LC380. I shot it a little, no failures in 50 rounds, very soft recoil as it's not a blowback gun, trigger is actually fine. The mags didn't drop free, but a quick internet search showed that you could yank the mag disconnect and so with the owner's permission I did, and voila...mags now drop free.

Another cool thing is if I found an LC9 top end cheap enough, it would swap right over to this frame and I'd have a 9mm. Also Twisted Industries made / makes a .22 conversion kit. I'm not exactly a Ruger fanboy although I do like the No. 1's....but as ugly as it might be, I kinda like this little pistol.

Interested in any personal experiences you might have.

Note that I'm not talking about the current LC9s series which is a striker-fired gun. These early LC9 models are hammer-fired although lacking second-strike capability.

PX4 Storm Tracker
08-30-2020, 12:19 AM
A search here for LC9 said the search term was too short. An LC380 search found a 2013 thread by Casual Friday who was considering a used one but it had some failures to feed and he abandoned the idea. Curious if any other experience.

I'm kinda in the same boat that C.F. was, I can get one of these for a few bucks if I want it. An LC380. I shot it a little, no failures in 50 rounds, very soft recoil as it's not a blowback gun, trigger is actually fine. The mags didn't drop free, but a quick internet search showed that you could yank the mag disconnect and so with the owner's permission I did, and voila...mags now drop free.

Another cool thing is if I found an LC9 top end cheap enough, it would swap right over to this frame and I'd have a 9mm. Also Twisted Industries made / makes a .22 conversion kit. I'm not exactly a Ruger fanboy although I do like the No. 1's....but as ugly as it might be, I kinda like this little pistol.

Interested in any personal experiences you might have.

Note that I'm not talking about the current LC9s series which is a striker-fired gun. These early LC9 models are hammer-fired although lacking second-strike capability.

We have an LC9, original style that has 815 rounds on it of perfect performance without any hesitation or stoppage.
It has served EDC duty for years.

We had a range pistol which was a duplicate of it that had 2,300 rounds on it.

We have found it to be a very accurate and reliable pistol.

Mark D
08-30-2020, 12:31 AM
I had a LC9. Nice little gun, very easy to conceal. And it ran fine. I recall it was hard to find good sights for it, but that situation may have changed.

I eventually got rid of it because I short stroked the trigger. The reset was unlike anything else I shot at the time, and contributed to the short stroke issue. I could have trained through it, but I moved on.

gc70
08-30-2020, 01:04 AM
My wife chose an LC380 as her EDC about six years ago. Although some people complain about the long trigger pull, my wife had decades of DA revolver experience and was delighted by the light trigger pull.

Welder
08-30-2020, 09:09 AM
Those plastic pins that hold the trigger / frame rail assembly into the grip chassis gave me pause, I have to admit. Had to pull all of that and then partially disassemble it to get the mag disconnect removed. Coming from Beretta 92's I'm not used to driving out plastic pins.

Geno
08-30-2020, 12:14 PM
I got the LC380 and LC9. I had Galloway do a trigger job on the 380 and it shortened it a good bit but didn't lighten the pull any which is good. The LC9 is stock, I had a hard time finding one a couple years but found one NIB. Both have been flawless and shoot anything I give them.