PDA

View Full Version : Dryfire Drills for Mock Shooting while moving?

cclaxton
06-10-2012, 10:20 AM
I am looking for some dryfire drills I can do at home to practice shooting on the move: advancing, retreating, sideways, etc. Any suggestions as to which drills to practice and what techniquest to use?

I just shot an IDPA Stage where I shot while moving and while I hit the targets, my shots were spread-out and inconsistent, and I hit a non-threat with a shoot-through.

Thanks,
CC

Failure2Stop
06-10-2012, 03:13 PM
My advice is to stick a laser to your gun and get comfortable with predictable muzzle movement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

John Hearne
06-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Get a cup. Fill it with water or some other liquid to it's almost full. Extend you arms and hold the cup at extension. Work on moving without spilling the water.

TAZ
06-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Hold a see through water bottle at extension and keep the level as still as possible. You're never going to dominate the movement completely, so what F2S states is also great advice. Get an el cheapo bore sighter that to can use to figure out a rhythm for your release.

bdcheung
06-11-2012, 02:47 PM
figure out a rhythm for your release.

Failure2Stop
06-11-2012, 03:26 PM
That's step one.
I used to start guys out at about 15 to 20 yards, just working on movement technique to get the feel of how much the gun is moving, how that relates to the sights and wobble zone, as well as movement speed.
Depending on target size and distance, the laser might not always stay within your acceptable target area, especially if you are moving at a relevant pace. Part of learning how to shoot on the move is to understand that seeking to make the sights sit perfectly on the center of the target will do little more than force you to move at a pace that is so slow that you might as well just stop. Instead, I would rather that shooters learn how to predict their sight movement and learn to break the shot as soon as they see what they need to see in conjunction with their applicable trigger manipulation.
I believe that it also speeds up movement as the shooter starts to accept a certain target area instead of focusing on trying to become a perfectly stable platform at an earlier point in training.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cclaxton
06-11-2012, 05:22 PM
These are good ideas.

What about synchronizing your steps with the trigger break?

What about moonwalking steps?...any better?
DR Middlebrooks recommends the moonwalk because it is easier to detect an obstacle when walking backwards and heel-toe when making steps forward for the same reason.

CC

Mitchell, Esq.
06-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Get a J frame.

Put a dime on the front sight, and extend it out to full extended shooting position.

Step. Press trigger.

Repeat, and replace dime as necessary till you can walk and move and shoot without disturbing the dime.

(I'll let you know when I accomplish it...)

Dr. No
06-11-2012, 07:19 PM
These are good ideas.

What about synchronizing your steps with the trigger break?

What about moonwalking steps?...any better?
DR Middlebrooks recommends the moonwalk because it is easier to detect an obstacle when walking backwards and heel-toe when making steps forward for the same reason.

CC

I've been taught quite a few different techniques... Here is what I teach. When moving forward I try to shoot when one foot is off the ground (if you shoot when both feet are on the ground, the foot landing sends vibrations up the body and to the gun, if you shoot when one foot is up it's "more" stable). If this is not possible, calling your shots is essential. You must be able to pick up your sights and make sure your sight picture is good before you press off the shot.

For moving left or right in the "tactical" world, I teach stepping side to side into a shooting platform every time. IE: when moving right, I move my right foot first, then step my left foot into the original stance. Never cross your feet. Crossing your feet can lead you to tripping easily on uneven ground or if you hit an obstruction.

In the "competition" world, I teach pointing my hips towards the direction of travel and dropping my hips slightly, while rotating my torso towards my target and shooting. This is smoother "front sight wise", but tends to wear you out when you are fully kitted up as it puts a lot of stress on the back.

A lot of emphasis is put on the 'move and shoot' and not a lot is taught of the 'haul ass to cover and shoot'. This is taught in a military context more often, but isn't as 'sexy' of a technique in the non-mil world. Competition shooters will often employ this if they can, as it tends to be faster and you are more accurate since you are in one stable position as opposed to being moving. Shooting on the move will force you to slow down in order to make good hits. Hauling ass from cover to cover makes you a hard target to hit, exposes you for a smaller amount of time, and can distract your enemy so that your cover can put good shots on them.