PDA

View Full Version : Ban state pistols

newyork
08-28-2020, 10:36 AM
What’s the current state of all around pistols used in ban states. I have a 19 and 10rd mags l, Shield and a G48 but curious what mid sized guns that guys are using for carry HD and the range.
Either mid sized with very reliable mags and good aftermarket support, or guns built around 10rd mags, with light rails (or not). At least a tlr7 would be preferable but I’m used to the X300.

I’m just curious. Haven’t been on the site much at all and I’m out of the loop.

rjohnson4405
08-28-2020, 10:42 AM
I really like my HK 45C for this. Big enough to shoot well, 8/10rd mags. Only downside is it isn't 9mm.

It double as my hiking gun too for bears, although the consensus is 9mm is good enough for most bears. But I already have it and love it so I use it.

newyork
08-28-2020, 10:45 AM
You run it lem or V1?

Definitely a nice gun. Better if it were 9mm but still a great choice.

MK11
08-28-2020, 10:52 AM
Any 10-rounders except Glock seem good to go.

M&P's are my go-to, the 10-rounders have been reliable but seem to be under tremendous spring pressure and seating the mag can be difficult. I think S&W is blocking the mags with the regular springs from the 15 and 17 round mags.

Mec-Gar makes the 10-round mags for my 320s, P-series Sig Classics and Browning High Power. All run fine and I like them better than the M&P mags. The mag may end up being the best part of the 320.

Duelist
08-28-2020, 10:55 AM
G26.3. Trijicon HD, gadget. Add magazines, ammo, JMCK IWB#3, and a couple of deep concealment options. Done.

newyork
08-28-2020, 10:56 AM
I tend to shy away from Sig.

CCT125US
08-28-2020, 10:56 AM
HK P2000sk

farscott
08-28-2020, 11:08 AM
G17.3 with frame cut to G26 factory length, magwell beveled, and speedwell added.

newyork
08-28-2020, 11:17 AM
I’ve considered sending my 19 in for that.

vcdgrips
08-28-2020, 11:23 AM
If I found myself in a ban state I suspect I would either pivot back to a 1911 in .45 ACP or toward an S&W M & P in .45 ACP augmented with Apex Trigger Bits if I found the factory one too wanting after an appropriate breakin/eval period.

Alternatively, I might run Magpul 10 rd mags for a 19 and/or 17 sized gun if I could be convinced they would be reliable in my guns. The issue with that course of action now is the ammo it would take to determine that to a degree that I would bet my life on those mags.

As with many others here, I have not had good results with 10 rd OEM Glock Mags in 9mm.

farscott
08-28-2020, 11:24 AM
I’ve considered sending my 19 in for that.

Lane Owens of Cold Bore Customs did the work. Highly recommended.

I bought the stripped frame from Mr. Owens, found a complete "Vickers" upper, procured the stock OEM internals and a Gadget, and had a friend who is a certified Glock armorer put it all together and go over everything. I can do the detail build/strip, but since it is a carry pistol I wanted it checked out by an armorer. All in all, I am into it for $750.

swampyank33
08-28-2020, 12:02 PM
I been enjoying my 92X Compact. The 92X is a great shooter and the 10 rounders have given me no trouble whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

OlongJohnson
08-28-2020, 12:42 PM
I'm liking my USP9 Compact lately. 10 round mags are GTG.

It's still on the roster in CA, so it's my recommendation for anyone stuck there. I find it interesting that, living in TX where I can have pretty much anything, my choice is the same as it would be there.

Savage Hands
08-28-2020, 01:18 PM
Here I’m allowed to have 3 firearms by serial number on my CCW, I have a G19.4, G26.5 and adding a G48 on my renewal coming up. If I was truly stuck with just 10 rounds maximum I’d carry the the 48 and 26 but would figure out a 3rd option like a G23 which has a reliable 10 round magazine.

RJ
08-28-2020, 01:24 PM
I tend to shy away from Sig.

I understand.

OTOH my wife and I are going through a evaluation of a P365 (May '19 build) and a P365XL (Mar '20 build). About 750 through both, all together, zero issues. It's an odd concept; the 365. It shoots like a much larger gun but carrys like a smaller one. I understand the non-enthusiasm for Sig around p-f, for sure, but wanted to mention the positive experience we've had, at least.

psalms144.1
08-28-2020, 01:41 PM
G26
G43X
G48
P2000 (reliable with 10-rounders)
USPc (same as above)
P229 (decent with 10-rounders)

Of all of these, I'm strongly inclined towards the 1911. Only issue is weight, which can be a bit much in shorts and t-shirt, but not insurmountable. I drove 8+ hours through three states last week with a DW CCO 45 in an Rosen outside the waistband holster under a very light untucked shirt. No issues, no hassles.

Hard to imagine one of the above would NOT float your boat, but if not, the P365 would be a strong contender for the REALLY concealable pistol.

newyork
08-28-2020, 01:51 PM
I’d probably keep the 48 and maybe get a bigger gun with a light rail, if not double up on the 48 or a 43X. Super interested in a 26 though. I like the 19.5 grip size despite having tiny hands.

I’m a big 1911 fan but own none anymore. Besides weight, ammo cost and recoil and the guns themselves are expensive as hell.
Why not M&P?

psalms144.1
08-28-2020, 02:02 PM
Sorry, I didn't read your entire post. If a "real" light mounted is a requirement, delete all the Glocks. I have no experience with the M&P's neutered mags, so I didn't put them on the list...

luckyman
08-28-2020, 02:37 PM
Lane Owens of Cold Bore Customs did the work. Highly recommended.

I bought the stripped frame from Mr. Owens, found a complete "Vickers" upper, procured the stock OEM internals and a Gadget, and had a friend who is a certified Glock armorer put it all together and go over everything. I can do the detail build/strip, but since it is a carry pistol I wanted it checked out by an armorer. All in all, I am into it for $750.

Yep, I really like the work Lane did on my 19.

With smaller hands I don’t have much downside with a G26 sized grip with the 10-round pinky extension mag

Seven_Sicks_Two
08-28-2020, 02:53 PM
If I still lived in California and was starting from scratch today, I'd probably look at a USP, a Glock 30, or (budget allowing) a nice 1911 or off-roster modern 9mm. If mounting a light was a low priority, I'd add a Glock 26 to the list.

BillSWPA
08-28-2020, 02:59 PM
It appears that you have good suggestions already.

For the first 8 years that I carried concealed, the federal ban was in effect. I relied primarily on a Glock 26, which remains a favorite choice for concealed carry, and later added a 1911 to have a full-size yet thin gun. More recently, I have had good results with my Sig P365.

The P365 is an issued backup gun for the Indiana State Police. It had some bugs when it was first introduced, but those appear to have been resolved well over a year ago.

MikeyCNY
08-28-2020, 03:46 PM
I'm from NY as well. Finding 10-round versions of handguns has been annoying over the years - when the M&P 2.0 came out I was one of the first in NYS to get one (I like to believe so anyway..), because my FFL would pin and epoxy the mags. Factory 10-rounders weren't available for almost a year after that - for training I didn't mind using the epoxied mags but for CCW/home defense I would much rather prefer factory.

I have noticed the magazines are tough to load by hand, but I tend to use an UPlula loading device. I have a fullsize M&P 2.0 and compact, along with 1.0 Shield (7/8 round mags there).

edit: to piggyback on the Glock 10 round mag thread - I don't own a Glock but I do have a Ruger PC Carbine that takes Glock mags. I haven't shot it TOO much but haven't noticed any reliability issues with factory and PMag versions.. maybe I got lucky or haven't shot them enough.

newyork
08-28-2020, 03:56 PM
2.0 Compact is definitely of interest

48 or a 43X
Cut 19
hK45c or uspc

All seem like great options

Andy T
08-28-2020, 05:04 PM
Depending on a state, there is such a thing as "pre-ban" magazines.

flyrodr
08-28-2020, 05:09 PM
Somewhat repetitive, but ones I've tried and been happy with (in no particular order) are:

G26.5
M&P 9c (mine's a 1.0, but accuracy is fine)
P2000, 2000SK (both Lite LEM)
P365
1911 9mm (favorite is a Colt New Agent, worked on by Ned Christiansen, inc. adding sights)

Right now, I'm finding myself carrying the P365 the most, as it will fit (albeit not with the quickest draw) in a pocket holster (being retired, I can wear whatever, and I make sure pants or shorts have non-restricting pockets). That said, it spends about as much time in a JMCK IWB holster. Also, a primary consideration for aging eyes, it's equipped with a red dot.

All the above have been running pretty much flawlessly, but I tend to prefer the single stacks for the thinner profile.
All the pros/cons of 1911s have been beaten to death; no need to rehash those.

Thinking about putting a dot on the G26, just 'cause it's a fine shooter; much more so than what I can achieve with irons. Now waiting to see if MOS rumors pan out.

If thickness isn't an issue, and you're looking for a low/no maintenance option, I'd go Glock or HK (if one of their many trigger options suits you).

No shortage of good choices. Consider feel, performance, price of extra mags/springs, holster choices, all the normal things. Or the retro cool factor of the 1911.

Beretta92x
08-28-2020, 05:44 PM
Isn't California the only state where handguns need to get approved? As long as you aren't talking about a pistol in the sense of a sbr pretty much all pistols are legal in ban states. You just need ten round magazines or stock mags modified. In NY and MA you also need a ten pound trigger pull from the factory which you can mod out when you get the gun. If it's da/sa if the double is more then 10 you are fine.

fpnunes
08-28-2020, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure if the P30sk is on the CA roster or not but if things go sideways, and we are back to 10 rounds, I'll be carrying my V1 lite LEM with the mag extensions. The guns carries so easy and shoots like any of my full size guns. I really is a wonder pistol.

MikeyCNY
08-28-2020, 07:25 PM
Isn't California the only state where handguns need to get approved? As long as you aren't talking about a pistol in the sense of a sbr pretty much all pistols are legal in ban states. You just need ten round magazines or stock mags modified. In NY and MA you also need a ten pound trigger pull from the factory which you can mod out when you get the gun. If it's da/sa if the double is more then 10 you are fine.

That isn't a thing in NY - at least the state, I cannot vouch for NYC which is totally separate from the rest of the state regarding requirements. I've ordered both 10-round and 15+ round versions and have had the FFL pin the mags.

One thing I forgot to mention about 10 round factory mags - for the M&P models anyway...

The Compact version will take mags of the "Fullsize" but it requires a "sleeve" to prevent over-insertion (everyone hates that). Well, on the factory 10-rounders, they have a different "base" of the mag to prevent converting to standard capacity. This means the "sleeve" will slide around and not work well. On the regular 17-rounder (pinned to 10) this isn't an issue.

I have separate mags for the fullsize and compact, but I know some people like the option for cross compatibility. Just FYI.

HCM
08-28-2020, 11:38 PM

CA is the only state which restricts the models available for sale non LE sales via a roster but MA has a a list of safety requirements including trigger pull weight, loaded chamber indicators etc. All non LE guns made after a certain date must comply with those requirements to be sold in MA. This is why Gen 1 and Gen2 Glocks are the only ones which can be sold to non LE in MA.

NY does not have any trigger pull weight requirements for handguns. Maybe you are confusing the requirements of the NYC police department for duty guns with NY state law.

HCM
08-28-2020, 11:40 PM
That isn't a thing in NY - at least the state, I cannot vouch for NYC which is totally separate from the rest of the state regarding requirements. I've ordered both 10-round and 15+ round versions and have had the FFL pin the mags.

One thing I forgot to mention about 10 round factory mags - for the M&P models anyway...

The Compact version will take mags of the "Fullsize" but it requires a "sleeve" to prevent over-insertion (everyone hates that). Well, on the factory 10-rounders, they have a different "base" of the mag to prevent converting to standard capacity. This means the "sleeve" will slide around and not work well. On the regular 17-rounder (pinned to 10) this isn't an issue.

I have separate mags for the fullsize and compact, but I know some people like the option for cross compatibility. Just FYI.

The trigger pull weight requirement isn’t a thing in NYC either. That poster seems to be confusing the NYPD’s duty gun regulations with state statutes regarding pistols.

Arbninftry
08-29-2020, 02:10 AM
Here I’m allowed to have 3 firearms by serial number on my CCW, I have a G19.4, G26.5 and adding a G48 on my renewal coming up. If I was truly stuck with just 10 rounds maximum I’d carry the the 48 and 26 but would figure out a 3rd option like a G23 which has a reliable 10 round magazine.

Please tell us what shitty state you live in, so I don’t move there. My goodness 3 guns, I am on. TEXAS CHL, I can carry wtf ever I can conceal. It varies by where and how much dress. Damn wow

Jason M
08-29-2020, 05:08 AM
PX4CC is a viable choice. Its 10 round mags are reliable and it is a mid-sized pistol.

Poconnor
08-29-2020, 06:08 AM
My any state guns are a S&W 642, S&w 64, S&W 66, Glock 26, Glock 48 and a colt 1911 LW commander. Am I wrong about any state? I thought a 642 with 148gr wadcutters and a LW commander with 45 hardball would pass every jurisdiction gun and ammo restriction with a LEOSA card

MGW
08-29-2020, 09:03 AM
HK45c has a nonstandard rail. There are options but just something to be aware of.

PD Sgt.
08-29-2020, 09:14 AM
Staying with pistols I have personal time on, I would lean toward the 43X or 48 if I was staying 9mm and a light was not a requirement. To add a full-size light I am probably going to go to the P2K LEM.

If not 9mm, the M&P 45 series. All, including the (sub) compact can take full size lights and shoot very well. If size/weight is not an issue I would consider 1911s but only one of mine is railed. The HK 45c is a solid performer, but the non standard rail has always been my nit to pick with them.

A Stacatto C is definitely a consideration for me, but I have no first hand time on one.

ECVMatt
08-29-2020, 09:30 AM
I like the Glock 30 for a straight up 10 round handgun. Mine passed the 2000 round challenge with ease. It is reasonably sized and very soft to shoot.

WobblyPossum
08-29-2020, 11:29 AM
With the requirements of being in CA and needing a light rail, I’d probably get a Gen3 G19 and have the grip chopped to take G26 mags. If you’re a 1911 guy, I’m sure there’s at least one decent, railed option on the roster. If you have an LE friend who could sell you one of their off-roster guns at a fair price, that opens up a whole lot of other options such as the new G48/43X MOS guns.

Generally, when I was forced to abide by illogical magazine capacity laws, I preferred to carry guns that had been designed as 10 round (or less) guns. I didn’t like to carry large guns with reduced capacity magazines.

jh9
08-29-2020, 12:29 PM
Please tell us what shitty state you live in, so I don’t move there. My goodness 3 guns, I am on. TEXAS CHL, I can carry wtf ever I can conceal. It varies by where and how much dress. Damn wow

Is there anywhere except CA and NY that restrict what you can carry down to the listed serial numbers?

It doesn't seem that long ago that in TX, back when the LTC was still called a CHL, if you shot the marksmanship portion of the license exam with a revolver, you were restricted to a revolver. ;)

I know AL had your carry gun's serial number listed on the permit a decade or two back, long before plastic cards with a picture on them were common, but I don't think that was a hard and fast requirement. At least in the counties I lived in. Maybe someone who had a permit drawn out of Jefferson county back in the 80s or 90s might have a different take.

Gun friendly states weren't always that way, at least not in the way they are now. The 80s and 90s were a different country. I wouldn't take it for granted things can't look that way again. Hell, every state was a ban state from 94-04.

newyork
08-29-2020, 12:39 PM
I’m in NY and there aren’t many handguns we can’t have. Just certain features. There’s a weight limit so no Desert Eagle lol. No threaded bbl even with protectors unless permanently attached. 10rd mag limit. No comps. No AR or AK “handguns”.

HCM
08-29-2020, 12:45 PM
Is there anywhere except CA and NY that restrict what you can carry down to the listed serial numbers?

It doesn't seem that long ago that in TX, back when the LTC was still called a CHL, if you shot the marksmanship portion of the license exam with a revolver, you were restricted to a revolver. ;)

I know AL had your carry gun's serial number listed on the permit a decade or two back, long before plastic cards with a picture on them were common, but I don't think that was a hard and fast requirement. At least in the counties I lived in. Maybe someone who had a permit drawn out of Jefferson county back in the 80s or 90s might have a different take.

Gun friendly states weren't always that way, at least not in the way they are now. The 80s and 90s were a different country. I wouldn't take it for granted things can't look that way again. Hell, every state was a ban state from 94-04.

In NY state and NYC mere possession of a handgun requires a license and all lawfully owned handguns are listed on your license by S/N. Outside NYC one could lawfully carry any gun lawfully possessed/listed. NYC used to restrict holders of their rare carry licenses to a few guns (either 2 or 4 can’t remember). NYC license holders could have other guns on a target shooting license but could not carry those guns. Not sure if that scheme is still in place.

While change is the only constant the thing I love about Texas is the mindset. The societal response to the Lubys mass shooting was the eventual adoption of shall issue carry vs other places whose reflexive response to mass shootings is gun control.

HCM
08-29-2020, 12:46 PM
I’m in NY and there aren’t many handguns we can’t have. Just certain features. There’s a weight limit so no Desert Eagle lol. No threaded bbl even with protectors unless permanently attached. 10rd mag limit. No comps. No AR or AK “handguns”.

Are comps specifically prohibited or is it the threaded barrel?

jh9
08-29-2020, 12:49 PM
While change is the only constant the thing I love about Texas is the mindset.

Yeah, in AL unless they've changed it there are no guns allowed in the state capitol. In TX if you swipe your LTC you get to cut in line in front of the people that don't.

Mindset indeed. :D

newyork
08-29-2020, 12:52 PM
Are comps specifically prohibited or is it the threaded barrel?

I’d have to check but I think if it’s both.

JonInWA
08-29-2020, 08:17 PM
In a ban state, in choosing a sidearm I'd be more concerned about ergonomics and index than ammunition capacity. In other words, choose a weapon that works for you best both inclusively and exclusively of the capacity limit. If you shoot better with, say a HK P30 than a P30SK, go with the larger P30; the capacity difference in a practical sense is largely probably irrelevant, since most encounters are resolved with fewer rounds expended that present in a 6 shot revolver cylnder...

Although Glock 10 round magazines for the compact and full-size Glocks are potentially problematic (and attested to as such by experienced members here), I haven't personally had problems with the ones I posssess for my G17, G19 and G21 (other then them being difficult to load to full capacity and then load into a gun and engage the magazine notch when the slide is in battery.

Other manufacturers (such as Beretta and HK) have managed to successfully design seemingly problem-free 10 round magazines. Accordingly when a fellow financially-challenged shooter needed me to gift him some of my Beretta magazines, after some reflection I gave him 3 high-capacity ones, instead of 10 rounders I initially considered-thinking I might need those 10 rounders, and that gave him the better magazines for duty. (some background: I'd previously given him several brand-new high capacity magazines, which he had stolen due to a lack of foresight and appropriate storage on his part).

Best, Jon