PDA

View Full Version : Origins of the press out?

Gun Nerd
06-10-2012, 07:15 AM
In the DA/SA thread, ToddG wrote:

The press-out was literally developed around DA/SA guns.

Todd, can you expand on that?

John Hearne
06-10-2012, 09:17 AM
There may be alternate sources but the press-out goes back to at least Mid-South when John Shaw was teaching SEAL teams. They were all shooting Sig P226's, a DA/SA system. FWIW, I was first introduced to the concept in 1998 or 1999 by Chuck Habermehl who had taught at Mid-South.

In his commentaries, Cooper expressed the "Weaver Method of Trigger Control" for DA systems. The earliest reference I can find is 1996. "The Weaver system. Here the trigger starts back as the weapon starts up, arriving at full-cock exactly as the eye picks up the sight system. This is the system that Jack Weaver used in his mastery of the double-action revolver, and it is the most elegant way of using the DA auto."

It is essentially a press-out, again developed for DA triggers. Remember, DA revolvers were THE dominant LE sidearm until the 1990's and methods to run them efficiently had existed for some time.

DonovanM
06-10-2012, 09:45 AM
That just sounds like prepping the trigger, not consciously bringing the gun into your line of sight then driving it out.

Brian Enos' book was first published in 1990. In it, he advocates an "inverted J style draw", where the goal is to get the gun over some arbitrary line at around chest height and drive it out from there. This is how I usually draw, more of a hybrid pressout, and not quite as inefficient as the pure pressout while still allowing you to pick up the sights before the gun is at full extension. This may or may not be the origins of the technique, but food for thought...

ToddG
06-12-2012, 08:38 AM
The OP asked a simple question about the origin of the technique. John did an excellent job providing an answer.

All of the "should I press-out" conversation has been moved to its own thread:
Press-Out: Good or Bad? (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4446-Press-Out-Good-or-Bad)

beltjones
06-12-2012, 08:46 AM
There may be alternate sources but the press-out goes back to at least Mid-South when John Shaw was teaching SEAL teams. They were all shooting Sig P226's, a DA/SA system. FWIW, I was first introduced to the concept in 1998 or 1999 by Chuck Habermehl who had taught at Mid-South.

In his commentaries, Cooper expressed the "Weaver Method of Trigger Control" for DA systems. The earliest reference I can find is 1996. "The Weaver system. Here the trigger starts back as the weapon starts up, arriving at full-cock exactly as the eye picks up the sight system. This is the system that Jack Weaver used in his mastery of the double-action revolver, and it is the most elegant way of using the DA auto."

It is essentially a press-out, again developed for DA triggers. Remember, DA revolvers were THE dominant LE sidearm until the 1990's and methods to run them efficiently had existed for some time.

Very interesting. I thought another key ingredient of the press-out is seeing the sights as soon as possible, hence the path the gun takes during this technique. While very interesting, the above doesn't address when that motion was paired with prepping the trigger early in order to arrive at full extension with a sight picture and prepped trigger. Can you elaborate?

John Hearne
06-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Very interesting. I thought another key ingredient of the press-out is seeing the sights as soon as possible, hence the path the gun takes during this technique. While very interesting, the above doesn't address when that motion was paired with prepping the trigger early in order to arrive at full extension with a sight picture and prepped trigger. Can you elaborate?

I wish I could. The Habermehl class was back in '98 or '99 and I didn't take notes in class back then. I do very clearly remember being taught to get on the trigger early. Part of the teaching method was to get on the trigger earlier and earlier until you discharged too early and then backed off. I don't recall the particular path we were to use but we were encouraged to pick up the front sight before the gun was at full extension. It may not have been a "pure" press-out but an earlier offering before contemporary refinements.