PDA

View Full Version : Recommend first pistol purchase for total noob

matto
08-26-2020, 05:59 PM
I'm a total noob looking to try out competition shooting. Which direction should I go on my first pistol purchase?

I've seen some recommendations to start with 22lr, like a Ruger Mark IV (Target with bull barrel?). Logic being: it's good for beginners to learn the fundamentals, ammo is cheaper, and everyone should own a Ruger Mark IV

Is that the unanimous, undisputed advice? Or is the reality that people who start with 22lr get bored quickly and immediately upgrade to 9mm? I must admit my 10/22 isn't as fun as my Ruger PCC. I could also see just buying a Glock 34 and a sh!t ton of magazines that I can share with my Ruger PCC. Then, once I demonstrate a basic level of competence I begin thinking about whether I want something less boring than a Glock.

I'll be joining a club near me that does a bit of everything. Steel Challenge, IDPA, USPSA, 2700. I cant' join yet though because I don't yet have my pistol permit. (It's been in process 8 months now, and I'm I have 2-3 left. :rolleyes: So this is all just pre-planning and living vicariously while I pass the time waiting for the permit to arrive)

littlejerry
08-26-2020, 06:08 PM
If you want a Glock 34, buy a Glock 34. It's an easy gun to shoot and (during normal riot-free times) cheap to get into.

If you want a 22LR for practice, get a Glock 44 for commonality. They are about as reliable as rimfire pistols get and have much better ergos vs the Ruger.

ETA: don't worry about getting bored with the 34. It's a completely capable competition gun. Start shooting production in USPSA. If you get bored, get into Carry Optics and put a red dot on top. There are plenty of dudes who shred with a basic Glock at a very high level in USPSA.

RJ
08-26-2020, 06:10 PM
Welcome!

I can’t speak for IDPA, but you won’t be able to shoot USPSA with a .22.

What sort of pistol shooting have you done previously?

matto
08-26-2020, 06:16 PM
Welcome!
Thanks!

What sort of pistol shooting have you done previously?
Almost nothing. A little plinking with family and friends many years back. My state makes it a pain to even be allowed to touch a pistol. But I finally went through the process, so it's time to learn for real.

RJ
08-26-2020, 06:27 PM
Thanks!

Almost nothing. A little plinking with family and friends many years back. My state makes it a pain to even be allowed to touch a pistol. But I finally went through the process, so it's time to learn for real.

Gotcha.

The default answer to ‘what Pistol’ is usually a Glock 19 and a couple cases of ammo.

It works, the Gen 5 versions are well sorted out, parts are cheap, accessories available, and you can buy magazines in vending machines. If it doesn’t work out you can probably get out of it pretty easily.

Ok, kidding about the mags but absent no other factors, like freakishly small hands, a Gen 5 Glock 19 is a pretty strong contender for a really good solid first pistol.

farscott
08-26-2020, 06:27 PM
I am an advocate of starting with a .22 because it allows one to learn the basics with lower costs and without recoil masking issues. As far as outgrowing .22, I have been shooting for only forty-seven years, and I still shoot more .22 than anything else. I am averaging 500 rounds of .22 a week and fifty to hundred rounds of 9x19 and/or .45 ACP.

The Ruger Mark IV is a good choice for a new handgun shooter as it is reliable, fun to shoot, and low cost. The best value is the SKU 40107, which is a blued 5.5" Target on the 22/45 frame. They are available for between $300 and $350. And while my Ruger pistols go back to 1951, I have a 2020-vintage 40107 which I am shooting.

olstyn
08-26-2020, 06:38 PM
Gotcha.

The default answer to ‘what Pistol’ is usually a Glock 19 and a couple cases of ammo.

It works, the Gen 5 versions are well sorted out, parts are cheap, accessories available, and you can buy magazines in vending machines. If it doesn’t work out you can probably get out of it pretty easily.

Ok, kidding about the mags but absent no other factors, like freakishly small hands, a Gen 5 Glock 19 is a pretty strong contender for a really good solid first pistol.

None of this is wrong, but since the OP only mentioned competition and not carry, a G17 or G34 may make more sense. Longer grip, longer sight radius, heavier all add up to being easier to shoot fast while maintaining accuracy.

randyho
08-26-2020, 06:41 PM
In which case the G48 may scratch this itch...said the guy with small hands.

matto
08-26-2020, 06:58 PM
absent no other factors, like freakishly small hands
Hah. No small hands here. I wear XL gloves. Sometimes L, but usually XL.

As far as outgrowing .22, I have been shooting for only forty-seven years, and I still shoot more .22 than anything else.
Wow, well if that's not a solid endorsement of 22lr, I don't know what is.

The Ruger Mark IV is a good choice for a new handgun shooter as it is reliable, fun to shoot, and low cost. The best value is the SKU 40107, which is a blued 5.5" Target on the 22/45 frame. They are available for between $300 and $350.

That's the one I was thinking. At that price it's hard to pass up. Only need to shoot a little over a thousand rounds before the money saved = free gun.

Lester Polfus
08-26-2020, 07:05 PM
I'm not sure what state you're in, but I know some of the northeast states make each individual handgun purchase a real pain.

One way to hack that system is to buy a 9mm Glock pistol, then buy a .22 conversion kit for it. The conversion kit will cost pretty much the same as a .22 pistol, but then you'll only have to deal with The State once.

Another idea is to buy a .40 caliber Glock. I'm not a big proponent of .40 S&W in general, but you can buy a .40 Glock, and there are 9mm conversion barrels that are supposed to work reasonably well, but I've no direct experience. That also makes .357 SIG an option. None of those two calibers offer any real advantage over 9mm, except they may be sporadically more available at times.

OlongJohnson
08-26-2020, 07:34 PM
I always pipe up when people are talking about the Ruger Mk pistols and suggest the Buck Mark. Barrels are non-serialized and swappable, so you can completely reconfigure the gun without any administrative overhead. Used or new barrels are much cheaper, both as a consequence and facilitator. I find them easy to work on, and like them quite a bit. Deals can usually be found on Gun Broker and around Black Friday. Browning usually offers rebates a couple times a year. I think it's $25 right now. I think I've seen $50, but wouldn't expect that again soon.

Glocks are boring guns, so you have to make the shooting the interesting part. Hard to go wrong with a G34, especially if you're unlikely to be allowed to carry it. Except, and I don't think this has been discussed yet, if you have draconian acquisition restrictions, you may have magazine limits. In which case, Glocks are sub-optimal. The 10-round mags are known for less than perfect reliability.

If I was suddenly dropped into a world, as myself today, in which I had no pistol and acquiring each pistol was a PITA requiring its own permission slip, I would find a Sig P250. The grip module system allows one serialized part to be used as everything from a subcompact to a full-size. Grip modules and magazines are current production and supported by Sig, even though the P250 isn't. Carry gear, if that matters, is well supported. Triggers are sweet. Grip angle is reasonably like a Buck Mark, too. The non-hipster version of this would be a P320, but go find the currently active thread on those to begin learning why not many people around here will recommend one.

scw2
08-26-2020, 07:55 PM
I know glock is getting a lot of recommendations, so I won't pile on there. The other option to look at might be Smith and Wesson M&Ps, especially if you take a look at some of the recent threads on the CORE option that would be the other recommendation.

Either S&W or Glock offers a lot of benefits when it comes to availability and cheaper price for parts such as sights, mags, gear such as holsters, and if you ever want to get something for self defense you can get something in the non-competition line and still have overlap in a lot of the same gear. That, and the price for the pistols to begin with are relatively lower than a lot of other options.

Cookie Monster
08-26-2020, 08:33 PM
What RJ said.

Factor in class, 2000 rounds of ammo, belt, holster, and 15 standard capacity mags and 5 high capacity mags to the investment.

Read PF. 1000 dry presses with presentation.

Then assess.

matto
08-26-2020, 08:44 PM
I always pipe up when people are talking about the Ruger Mk pistols and suggest the Buck Mark.
I'll take a look, thanks.

you may have magazine limits. In which case, Glocks are sub-optimal. The 10-round mags are known for less than perfect reliability.
Oh god, no. In that case forget it. I do have a 10-round limit. The top two reasons I was even remotely interested in a glock were 1) reliability and 2) share mags with the Carbine. If the mags don't work flawlessly it's the worst idea ever.

From everything I've read (thanks everyone!) I'll likely start with a 22lr right out of the gate. While practicing with that, I'll start renting / borrowing 9mm's until I learn enough to know which works best for me.

Duelist
08-26-2020, 08:46 PM
If you want a Glock 34, buy a Glock 34. It's an easy gun to shoot and (during normal riot-free times) cheap to get into.

If you want a 22LR for practice, get a Glock 44 for commonality. They are about as reliable as rimfire pistols get and have much better ergos vs the Ruger.

ETA: don't worry about getting bored with the 34. It's a completely capable competition gun. Start shooting production in USPSA. If you get bored, get into Carry Optics and put a red dot on top. There are plenty of dudes who shred with a basic Glock at a very high level in USPSA.

This, is the way.

matto
08-26-2020, 09:18 PM

ETA: don't worry about getting bored with the 34. It's a completely capable competition gun. Start shooting production in USPSA. If you get bored, get into Carry Optics and put a red dot on top. There are plenty of dudes who shred with a basic Glock at a very high level in USPSA.And if I go M&P.... Something like the M&P 22?

MichaelD
08-27-2020, 12:25 AM
And if I go M&P.... Something like the M&P 22?Yes. I have an M&P 9 as my primary carry gun and an M&P 22 as a trainer. The M&P 22 also happens to be my favorite firearm.

Lester Polfus
08-27-2020, 01:25 AM
And if I go M&P.... Something like the M&P 22?

Yes. I have an M&P 9 as my primary carry gun and an M&P 22 as a trainer. The M&P 22 also happens to be my favorite firearm.

If I didn't already have a significant amount of money in Glocks and was starting over, 9mm M&Ps with a M&P22 would probably be on the top of my list. Especially since they seem to have functional 10-round magazines.

psalms144.1
08-27-2020, 12:23 PM
Buy a Glock 44. It will give you all the mechanics/weapons handling skills of a "real" Glock without worrying about developing the flinchies from starting on 9mm. I have one, my buddy has one, and EVERYONE who shoots it thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.

As a absolutely new pistol shooter, recoil control is pretty low on the totem pole for skills I'd worry about. You need to learn grip, stance, trigger press, sight alignment/sight picture ALL before you really need to worry about recoil control.

Learn all your basics on the G44, then "up gun" to a 19/17/34/45 whatever floats your boat.

Having said all that, I would submit that getting training from an actual certified, competent trainer WAY outweighs darn near any equipment issue. If the option was buying a G34 and teaching yourself, or getting a G44 and spending a weekend with a GOOD trainer, I'd go for the latter. Getting the G34 AND a weekend with a GOOD trainer would be mo' bettah-er, of course...

Zincwarrior
08-27-2020, 12:41 PM
If I didn't already have a significant amount of money in Glocks and was starting over, 9mm M&Ps with a M&P22 would probably be on the top of my list. Especially since they seem to have functional 10-round magazines.

Yes.

Something like that to practice. Also realize for the next six months or so, the ability to acquire firearms and ammunition is...limited at best.

You need to go to some local matches and see what really tickles your fancy. Here are some:

*Steel Challenge or falling steel matches. USPSA or nonstandard local match. I HIGHLY recommend for a new shooter. Its just fund and the feedback is literally instantaneous when you hear the ping. Also can usually shoot .22s!

*IDPA aka waddle and shoot. Good for beginners with a greater focus on less expensive firearms.

*USPSA aka run and gun. This is for mostly younger competitors who like to run around and shoot fast. Can get expensive quickly even if you stick to Production.

*NRA action matches. I never see so can't say.

What region are you in?

peterb
08-27-2020, 01:54 PM
Yes.

Something like that to practice. Also realize for the next six months or so, the ability to acquire firearms and ammunition is...limited at best.

You need to go to some local matches and see what really tickles your fancy. Here are some:

*Steel Challenge or falling steel matches. USPSA or nonstandard local match. I HIGHLY recommend for a new shooter. Its just fund and the feedback is literally instantaneous when you hear the ping. Also can usually shoot .22s!

*IDPA aka waddle and shoot. Good for beginners with a greater focus on less expensive firearms.

*USPSA aka run and gun. This is for mostly younger competitors who like to run around and shoot fast. Can get expensive quickly even if you stick to Production.

*NRA action matches. I never see so can't say.

What region are you in?

Steel Challenge with a .22 is probably the easiest way to get started in competition.

Get in touch with the USPA/IDPA folks at your club, and tell them you’re a new shooter who wants to learn about competitive shooting. You’ll get a lot of help. You’ll probably get invitations to come shoot.

GSSF matches, if you have any near you, are designed to be beginner-friendly.

Darth_Uno
08-27-2020, 03:15 PM
If I was suddenly dropped into a world, as myself today, in which I had no pistol and acquiring each pistol was a PITA requiring its own permission slip, I would find a Sig P250. The grip module system allows one serialized part to be used as everything from a subcompact to a full-size. Grip modules and magazines are current production and supported by Sig, even though the P250 isn't. Carry gear, if that matters, is well supported. Triggers are sweet. Grip angle is reasonably like a Buck Mark, too. The non-hipster version of this would be a P320, but go find the currently active thread on those to begin learning why not many people around here will recommend one.

If I were dropped out of the sky onto a planet with BS 10 round limits, I would immediately go out and buy a Glock 48. You can even buy a 43/43X top end for carry, if you prefer and/or it's legal.

pangloss
08-30-2020, 03:45 PM
There are so many great pistols on the market right now. Asking which pistol shouldn't you buy might be an easier question. I've put ~500 round, I think, through my Beretta APX and so far the ten round magazines have proven reliable. 500 rounds is not a lot of rounds, but the APX pistols seem to be a great value. I have a Ruger 22/45 and several Glocks, so those would be my first answer, but certainly not the only right answer.

RJ
08-30-2020, 04:00 PM
Steel Challenge with a .22 is probably the easiest way to get started in competition.

Get in touch with the USPA/IDPA folks at your club, and tell them you’re a new shooter who wants to learn about competitive shooting. You’ll get a lot of help. You’ll probably get invitations to come shoot.

Agree, but a .22 will only be usable in Steel Challenge; in IDPA/USPSA min caliber of .38 would eliminate it. We had a bunch of new shooters last Friday night at my local USPSA match; all were U in Production. They shot well, a coupled place above me even (I was 5 out of 7 P shooters at the 23 person match).

Two in my squad were shooting standard Glock 17s, with the factory plastic sights. Another had a USP compact, DA/SA. They were having a great time.

Quantrill
08-30-2020, 06:10 PM

Agreed.
Learning range commands and getting a little stress test with rimfire is a great way to start competing.

And everyone should own a good 22 pistol and rifle.