PDA

View Full Version : How low can you direct mill a RMR on a Glock?

HeavyDuty
08-23-2020, 07:12 PM
This has undoubtedly been covered already, but I’m having a hard time finding it.

If I were to direct mill for a RMR on a Glock 26.5, is it possible to get it low enough to avoid using suppressor sights?

GJM
08-23-2020, 07:15 PM
This has undoubtedly been covered already, but I’m having a hard time finding it.

If I were to direct mill for a RMR on a Glock 26.5, is it possible to get it low enough to avoid using suppressor sights?

Not sure how low the 26 can be milled, but the Shadow Systems MR920 uses regular height sights at BUIS, not suppressor height. I think YVK had a 26 milled super low by an outfit in Texas, so hopefully he comments.

HeavyDuty
08-23-2020, 07:24 PM
Thanks - hopefully YVK will chime in.

Darth_Uno
08-23-2020, 08:11 PM
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?40338-Shadow-Systems-MR920

Most normal milled slides are all pretty close to the same depth, and about as low as you can go. Mill it too low and the mounting screws run into the extractor channel. MR920 got around this by designing their own extractor system that sits in front of the RMR screws, so you can mill the pocket deeper.

YVK
08-23-2020, 08:17 PM
Thanks - hopefully @YVK (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=39) will chime in.

Ken, a setup that I have on my Gen4 G26 doesn't allow for regular height iron sights to provide a true sight picture through RMRs window. The work was done by Maple Leaf out of Texas and they bury RMR lower than anyone else I know. ATEI is at .140 or .145 deep, some others too, many much higher. Maple Leaf is at .165 deep. It does present some issues with extractor plunger interference and there are a couple of options around that.

That said, even that deep of a pocket is not deep enough to see non-supp height irons. What I did was to use either 0.265 or 0.285 front sights and filled rear dovetail with a cut down oem rear just as an anti-snag measure. I used front sight only and I could deliver a minute of 6 inch circle shots out to 7 yards and I knew if I were off, I'd be shooing high.

HeavyDuty
08-23-2020, 08:35 PM
Ken, a setup that I have on my Gen4 G26 doesn't allow for regular height iron sights to provide a true sight picture through RMRs window. The work was done by Maple Leaf out of Texas and they bury RMR lower than anyone else I know. ATEI is at .140 or .145 deep, some others too, many much higher. Maple Leaf is at .165 deep. It does present some issues with extractor plunger interference and there are a couple of options around that.

That said, even that deep of a pocket is not deep enough to see non-supp height irons. What I did was to use either 0.265 or 0.285 front sights and filled rear dovetail with a cut down oem rear just as an anti-snag measure. I used front sight only and I could deliver a minute of 6 inch circle shots out to 7 yards and I knew if I were off, I'd be shooing high.

Thank you - I’ll check into them. I know as soon as I send the slide off, Glock will announce a MOS 26... but if Maple Leaf offers a lower cut than the others I’m interested.

Have you posted any pics of the final result?

YVK
08-23-2020, 09:28 PM
Don't think I have. I need to see if I have anything. I was thinking of selling that 26 and removed the RMR so snapping pics now won't help.

LOKNLOD
08-23-2020, 09:35 PM
I have a direct milled Lone Wolf slide that is low enough I'm using normal Warren sights with a Holosun 407C V1.

HeavyDuty
08-23-2020, 10:19 PM
Don't think I have. I need to see if I have anything. I was thinking of selling that 26 and removed the RMR so snapping pics now won't help.

Were the irons similar in height to this one from the 26.5 thread? It’s a Maple Leaf job, so I assume yes. I’m looking for lower 1/3.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?32114-Glock-26-Gen-5&p=1074062&viewfull=1#post1074062

YVK
08-24-2020, 07:48 AM
I think those on the pic are taller.

HeavyDuty
08-24-2020, 04:05 PM
I think those on the pic are taller.

He thought they were 429s which are what I have on my 19 MOS with RMR, so I suspect I can go lower.

Archer1440
08-24-2020, 05:37 PM
Is slide thread engagement not a concern with these deep cuts?

HeavyDuty
08-24-2020, 07:29 PM
Is slide thread engagement not a concern with these deep cuts?

Not really sure - that definitely something I’d want to read up about before committing.

DaBigBR
08-25-2020, 09:15 PM
I would consider the 407k or 507k if you want to keep factory height irons, particularly with a gun that is already compact, like a 26.

If you are a first responder or military and end up using Maple Leaf, I'd be sure to inquire about their discounts. Very generous.

HeavyDuty
09-01-2020, 08:32 AM
I would consider the 407k or 507k if you want to keep factory height irons, particularly with a gun that is already compact, like a 26.

If you are a first responder or military and end up using Maple Leaf, I'd be sure to inquire about their discounts. Very generous.

I’m just not sure how I feel about Holosun in general. And now the RMRcc may be an option for a direct mill job, as would be a Shield. I think I need to hold off and do a lot more research, hopefully Glock will come along with a 26.5 MOS in the meantime.

DaBigBR
09-01-2020, 10:14 PM
Shield is not on the same planet as Trijicon or Holosun. Go watch and read what Aaron Cowan, Steve Fisher, Hilton Yam, Mike Panone, Scott Jedlinski, and literally every other anybody who is anybody in the training world has put out there - they're good to go. If you want to avoid them because they're Chinese, that's your prerogative, but they make a solid product.

RJ
12-13-2020, 12:12 PM
I apologize if this was covered elsewhere, but I did a search to find this thread.

If I wanted to get my standard G48 milled for a Dot next year, is that a practical (read: safe, reliable, effective) path, or should I just get a second, optic-ready G48?

Second, who are the go-to companies for milling Glock slides (again, safe, reliable, effective)?

I’m not currently jumping into dots, but I can see it coming in the next 12-24 months. I also just bought a G34 MOS for USPSA but plan to run it in Production (for now).

HeavyDuty
12-13-2020, 01:20 PM
Since I started this thread, I’ve picked up a 43X MOS which now has a Swampfox Sentinel that direct mounts and allows use of factory height irons. The current ammunition shortage has prevented me from doing more than a box of cycle testing, but I like what I’m seeing.

And now that the 26 MOS appears to be imminent, I don’t think I’d bother milling. I’m hoping someone will come up with a first tier sight that direct mounts to the full size MOS cut and allows low sights. I can’t see this not happening, it’s too obvious. I can live with the spinnaker height sights on my 19 with RMR, but want something a little less stabby on a 26.

SwampfoxMike - hint, hint...

RJ
12-14-2020, 06:52 AM
Second, who are the go-to companies for milling Glock slides (again, safe, reliable, effective)?

Found it here in this recent thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?45808-List-of-Preferred-Companies-for-Slide-Milling

Kanye Wyoming
12-14-2020, 09:20 AM
I apologize if this was covered elsewhere, but I did a search to find this thread.

If I wanted to get my standard G48 milled for a Dot next year, is that a practical (read: safe, reliable, effective) path, or should I just get a second, optic-ready G48?

I’m not currently jumping into dots, but I can see it coming in the next 12-24 months. I also just bought a G34 MOS for USPSA but plan to run it in Production (for now).
Rich, I sent the slide from one of my two non-MOS G43Xs to Primary Machine for milling and installation of Holosun 507K and standard height Night Fision sights on November 6. It was shipped back on November 16. (USPS did the thing they do so well and it didn’t arrive until last Friday, but that’s not Primary’s fault. However, it does argue in favor of paying the extra to have it shipped UPS.)

I’m no machinist or engineer, but from what I can tell the work was perfect. Took it to the range Saturday, zeroed it, ran a bunch of drills multiple times (which at today’s prices for 9mm probably cost me more than the milling), and it’s just f***ing amazing. I’ve had a 507C on a larger pistol for a little while and now I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to go back to irons. To the point that I just submitted an order with Primary last night to have my other G43X milled, and will send it in later this week after the second 507K and set of sights arrive.

Here are my first 4 THE TEST targets (10 yds). As noted, on the first run (lower right) I had a little trouble picking up the dot within the smaller window, so I did some untimed practice before proceeding. Once I had that down, I did more or less as well as if not better than I usually do with a larger, dotless gun.

23JAZ
12-17-2020, 07:22 PM
I was told by the gent at Legion Precision the lowest you can safely go on OEM Glock slides for an RMR is .150”. Anything less than that and you compromise the safe plunger/extractor channel. He did my 19.4 at that depth and I am very happy.
He also said Brownells can go as deep as .180” but they moved things around on their slides.