PDA

View Full Version : Gen 5 GLOCK in .40SW

Highplains45
08-22-2020, 08:01 PM
Had my hands on these, Gen 5 Glocks in .40 caliber. The caliber is 'meh' to me, but these are interesting changes for the platform.
59168 Gen 5 pistols, G19 and G23
59169 Gen 4 G19 and G23 slides.
59170 The line up of Gen 5 pistols in .40SW.

psalms144.1
08-22-2020, 08:21 PM
So, are these "45" size slides, or something in between the "standard" slide and the widebody?

HCM
08-22-2020, 08:22 PM
Thanks.

The heavier “Brazilian” slide is the 40 they should have made 30 years ago.

HCM
08-22-2020, 08:24 PM
So, are these "45" size slides, or something in between the "standard" slide and the widebody?

If it’s like the Brazilian guns it is the .45 GAP size slide.

HeavyDuty
08-22-2020, 08:37 PM
It looks like they have the lower edge slide bevel, too.

GJM
08-22-2020, 09:23 PM
These look like good changes, can’t wait to shoot one. I wonder what the holster makers have to say about compatibility — would a .40 holster with a tension screw accommodate a 9mm Gen 5, or will it need a whole different holster?

HeavyDuty
08-22-2020, 10:34 PM
With the beefier slide we may see a 31.5, 32.5 and 33.5, maybe?

SecondsCount
08-22-2020, 10:36 PM
It looks like they copied the HK VP40 ;)

call_me_ski
08-22-2020, 11:06 PM
It looks like they copied the HK VP40 ;)

They have been doing if for years with the 45Gap Guns. But then again hk did it to the extreme with the P7M10. Its copy cats all the way down.

Navin Johnson
08-22-2020, 11:33 PM
Weight?

Might make a 40 Glock shootable.

If it is a Gap slide no compatability to gen 4 or 9mm. (Holsters)

ECVMatt
08-23-2020, 12:37 AM
I will admit that I am excited about this model. I like the .40 and have been shooting it since it first came out. As I have previously stated, I am moving to a mountainous, rural area and a 22.5 will most likely be in the rotation. I will withhold judgement until I shoot one, but this looks like what Glock should have put out the first time.

Padwan
08-23-2020, 03:51 AM
I don’t exactly like .40 but with ammo supply being erratic, I’m seriously thinking of getting a G22.5. I’m quite invested in the Gen 5 G17 so this makes sense if I can’t find 9mm ammo but .40 remains somewhat available. I’m guessing Safariland has a 568 that can be adjusted to fit this new gun.

Center Shot
08-23-2020, 07:49 AM
The Gen5 G22 has a slide width of 27.5mm and weighs 25.22oz. The Gen4 G21 has a slide width of 28.5mm and weighs 26.28oz. The G37 has a slide width of 28.5mm and weighs 26.10oz. The Gen4 G22 has a slide width of 25.5mm and weighs 22.75oz. The Gen5 G22 ha a slide width 2mm wider than the Gen4 G22 and 1mm narrower than the G21 and G37.

Whirlwind06
08-23-2020, 08:41 AM
I wonder if the gen 5 21 and 20 will be the same slide width? Sure would make holster compatibleility easier plus caliper conversions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thy.Will.Be.Done
08-23-2020, 09:15 AM
Finally, Glock has fixed the abomination that is .40 Caliber Glock pistols. Well, it would appear that way anyways... still possible they could have screwed it up in some other silly way though. I have a High Noon Shoulder Holster that may end up getting some use for a 22 Gen5 in the future.... :rolleyes:

MSparks909
08-23-2020, 09:27 AM
Picking up a G5 22 before the election is on my short list. When will these become available?

pangloss
08-23-2020, 10:34 AM
Very interesting. These are exciting changes and really increase my interest in G22s.

JBP55
08-23-2020, 05:14 PM
Picking up a G5 22 before the election is on my short list. When will these become available?

Word is late October.

JonInWA
08-23-2020, 07:12 PM
While I've been pretty pleased with my later-production Gen4 G22 (for which I've also got the appropriately-matching .357 SIG barrel/magazine), I noticably shoot my HK VP40 faster and with less recoil force perceived. I'm also thinking this'll put it on parity with the VP40 (and excellent pistol iin its own right). I plan on picking one of these Gen5 G22's up when available. The fact that I'll likely need a specific holster for it is of no real significant consequence for me. I'll be curious to see if my .357 SIG barrel will still work in it; I'm thinking it should, but we'll see.

As in 2012, .40 is available in reasonable quantities at reasonable prices-9mm (particuarly ball target/practice) is unobtanium....

My FFL expects this situation to continue probably until the November timeframe. Looks like it'll be a predominantly .40 summer/fall for me...

Best, Jon

call_me_ski
08-23-2020, 10:37 PM
The 9mm full-size Guns in the Gen5 series use the same locking block as the compacts so your gen3/4 full-size barrel wont fit a full-size gen5. Assuming they did the same for 40SW. The compact guns retain compatibility for barrels between all generations.

KevH
08-28-2020, 07:50 PM
I have no logical explanation why, since I've almost completely moved away from 40 S&W and only own a couple Glocks for sentimental reasons, BUT...

I really want a Gen5 G22 if it comes with the heavier slide.

roboster2013
11-29-2020, 11:19 AM
I got a Glock 23 Gen 5 about a month ago. So far I'm very happy with it.

pastaslinger
12-01-2020, 12:09 PM
Even though the wider slide sounds like a well thought out idea, I don't think I'd buy one despite being very interested in a gen 5 G35 because I have concerns about holster compatibility. I would rather get a gen 5 G20 or G40 and drop in a .40 S&W barrel.

UniSol
12-09-2020, 10:38 AM
I have one (22). Perceived recoil is tricky to go by because perception can be affected by a lot of factors. I put 50 rounds of Magtech 180 gr and 15 of 165 Gold Dot through it. Felt like shooting a G21. Idk. Like the slide was cycling slower. Makes sense because it is substantially beefier than previous 22s. 165 Gold Dot has been pretty snappy in other guns for me in the past.

TheNewbie
12-09-2020, 03:37 PM
I have one (22). Perceived recoil is tricky to go by because perception can be affected by a lot of factors. I put 50 rounds of Magtech 180 gr and 15 of 165 Gold Dot through it. Felt like shooting a G21. Idk. Like the slide was cycling slower. Makes sense because it is substantially beefier than previous 22s. 165 Gold Dot has been pretty snappy in other guns for me in the past.

Glock 21 in a good way or bad way?

UniSol
12-09-2020, 04:06 PM
Glock 21 in a good way or bad way?

Good. Soft shooting, recoil more like a push than a snap. Grip is obviously smaller. Just had more of a big gun feel. Fun to shoot. I got it out of curiosity. Only shot controlled pairs at 5-20 yards. Nothing to deep.

UniSol
12-10-2020, 10:44 AM
I have no logical explanation why, since I've almost completely moved away from 40 S&W and only own a couple Glocks for sentimental reasons, BUT...

I really want a Gen5 G22 if it comes with the heavier slide.

Pretty much this right here. Matter of fact I only have 3 M4s, couple of gen 5 9mms, a pair of 9mm HK P guns, and a 45C, and intended to stay that way or even ditch a few more, but I got the 22 because of “Idk, new blaster”.

Hot Cereal
12-10-2020, 09:05 PM
Thanks.

The heavier “Brazilian” slide is the 40 they should have made 30 years ago.

No doubt. However, I foresee that decision tanking the sales of these guns. People have this weird obsession with Glock comparability with everything and the fact these will require their own holsters will probably be off-putting to some folks. Not to mention holster makers need the molds for them. The “does it take Glock mags” joke is funny because it’s basically true- people want everything to take Glock mags.

WobblyPossum
12-10-2020, 09:25 PM
No doubt. However, I foresee that decision tanking the sales of these guns. People have this weird obsession with Glock comparability with everything and the fact these will require their own holsters will probably be off-putting to some folks. Not to mention holster makers need the molds for them. The “does it take Glock mags” joke is funny because it’s basically true- people want everything to take Glock mags.

For individual purchasers, sure. For large agency purchases, I’d be surprised is Glock doesn’t offer to replace the holsters being traded in along with the guns.

pangloss
12-10-2020, 09:31 PM
I got it out of curiosity.

That is an excellent reason to buy a pistol! A lot of mine found their way to my safe via the curiosity route. 22.5 is on my list, but I'm not sure how high on the list. I have some mags left over from my 22.3, which in retrospect, was not interesting enough to warrant its purchase.

UniSol
12-11-2020, 10:33 AM
That is an excellent reason to buy a pistol! A lot of mine found their way to my safe via the curiosity route. 22.5 is on my list, but I'm not sure how high on the list. I have some mags left over from my 22.3, which in retrospect, was not interesting enough to warrant its purchase.

True. Curiosity and impulse have put a lot of guns in my hands. Thought I was past that but it’s honestly a good a reason as any. My gun needs were fulfilled in 2003 when I bought a 9mm P226. There are probably a hundred substitutes for that 226 that would equal the same result. My personal gun history could have ended there, full stop. 357 SIG should be fun through these.

RAM Engineer
12-11-2020, 08:47 PM

I dunno. I don’t expect my G21 to fit G17 holsters.

JonInWA
12-12-2020, 08:23 AM
If I was an organzation concerned with holster compatability and cost savings for hundreds or more members, I might be more concerned about Gen5 G22 holster compatibilty with other full-size Glocks. As an individual, I'm just not. Sure, it would be nice if it fit in the holsters I currently have, but sine I usually prefer to have an individual holster for an individual weapon, it's just not that big of a deal, or that much of an expense.

Additionally, I think that the ship has pretty much sailed for increased, or even continued organizational .40 use, as due to better cartridge technology leading to significant performance increases (and decreased comparative cost, and less drama with recoil management and muzzle flip) 9mm has assumed the organizational throne.

Personally, I like and have a niche for .40. I'm glad that I have some excellent platforms for it during the national-wide ammunition shortage, where (again) .40 is the cartridge that seems to be reasonably available at semi-reasonable prices. I can see myself getting a Gen5 G22, and then pretty much relegating my current Gen4 G22 to use with its .357 SIG barrel.

Best, Jon

Hot Cereal
12-12-2020, 10:26 AM
I dunno. I don’t expect my G21 to fit G17 holsters. I don’t think that is a fair comparison. The Glock 21/20 are dimensionally different in all aspects. The 9/40/357 family of pistols aren’t. Agencies and people that already use a 22/23/31/32 etc. will likely be frustrated by the lack of holster comparability. Remember the frustration over Gen4 connectors and Gen5 sights. People might get over it, but with the waning popularity of .40 to begin with, it might be enough to somewhat sink the offerings.

Additionally, I think that the ship has pretty much sailed for increased, or even continued organizational .40 use, as due to better cartridge technology leading to significant performance increases (and decreased comparative cost, and less drama with recoil management and muzzle flip) 9mm has assumed the organizational throne...

Which is a shame. The .40 is a good cartridge. When I shoot full power duty loads in both calibers (124 HST vs 165 HST) I notice a difference, but not anything appreciable for me.

Navin Johnson
12-12-2020, 10:53 AM
Played with a G5 23 at LGS my first thought was how would it shoot with a 9mm barrel. It would still be lighter than most duty sized 9's and shoot softer than a 19.

Before 2020 stores in my area would not take a 40 on trade as their cases were full.....they are all sold now but I wonder in a couple years if it will be the same.

I was close to buying a used P30 for $350 as 40 ammo was only $20-40 more a case than 9 back then.

JBP55
12-12-2020, 11:17 PM
For individual purchasers, sure. For large agency purchases, I’d be surprised is Glock doesn’t offer to replace the holsters being traded in along with the guns.

Never happen.

GJM
12-13-2020, 07:42 AM
Played with a G5 23 at LGS my first thought was how would it shoot with a 9mm barrel. It would still be lighter than most duty sized 9's and shoot softer than a 19.

This is an interesting question. Generally less slide mass is considered a good thing, but more weight can also be a good thing. Would like to check a .40 out with a 9mm barrel.

Bucky
12-13-2020, 08:15 AM

Never happen.

It has happened back in the day, so it depends. I know an agency that was offered straight out, gear for gear (guns holsters mags) for Glock 22s, 27s for detectives.

TC215
12-13-2020, 10:09 AM
Never happen.

Happened at my agency about 4 years ago.

ST911
12-13-2020, 10:16 AM
If you're an agency that is committed to remaining in .40, especially if you're converting to Glock from another manufacturer, it's a good time to talk to your regional LE rep about the gen5 G22/23/27.

BehindBlueI's
12-13-2020, 11:09 AM
Never happen.

It historically has, both Glock and Sig have included gun leather as part of a new contract. Maybe others have as well, but those are the two I know have.

JBP55
12-13-2020, 03:25 PM
It historically has, both Glock and Sig have included gun leather as part of a new contract. Maybe others have as well, but those are the two I know have.

So Glock included New $150 Safiriland Duty Holsters at no cost to the Agency when selling pistols for about $350 each?

TheNewbie
12-13-2020, 03:29 PM
So Glock included New $150 Safiriland Duty Holsters at no cost to the Agency when selling pistols for about $350 each?

It’s not uncommon, at least that’s my understanding. Often they will take their old guns in on trade.

BehindBlueI's
12-13-2020, 03:48 PM

I don't know what Sig or Glock pays for duty holsters, but yes. Are you familiar with the concept of a loss leader? Taking a reduced profit or accepting a loss to get your foot in the door then making your profit on the inertia of that initial purchase? That's one of the ways Glock got such widespread acceptance in law enforcement circles. This isn't secret or even controversial. If you don't believe they'll give holsters and the cops who've already chimed in and said it happened at their department, you probably also won't believe they took prior generation guns in even trades for new generation guns just to get them in holsters, but they did. Glock will also buy your existing guns as part of the package, and they get sold through some place like Kiesler's.

King Gillette's notion of "give them the razor, sell them the blades" works and Glock exploited that hard and fast.

Once you get in the door, inertia takes over. You buy Glock parts. You send people to Glock armorer's school. You buy Glock magazines. You hire new people, and they need a Glock so you buy more Glocks. People retire and buy or are gifted their duty weapon, so you buy more Glocks. Guns are used to shoot people and sit in the property room so you buy more Glocks. Eventually your guns are worn and need replaced. You already have your logistics and training in place for Glock so what do you buy? Right. So Glock gets a foot in the door and it snowballs. Plus then the Glock rep can use that as a selling point to smaller departments and Glock uses it to market to individual customers. It's good enough for (insert prestige customer here) so it's a great option for you too!

So how do you displace Glock at that point? You aren't going to do it by being marginally cheaper. The inertia, especially with a large department, is very tough to overcome. If you want your gun in Large Dept X's holsters, you will need to offer free support gear, free armorer's training, etc. Which Sig did to limited success. And, again, maybe S&W and others have tried, I just don't know anything about them. We've never even T&E'd them.

JBP55
12-13-2020, 04:03 PM
I don't know what Sig or Glock pays for duty holsters, but yes. Are you familiar with the concept of a loss leader? Taking a reduced profit or accepting a loss to get your foot in the door then making your profit on the inertia of that initial purchase? That's one of the ways Glock got such widespread acceptance in law enforcement circles. This isn't secret or even controversial. If you don't believe they'll give holsters and the cops who've already chimed in and said it happened at their department, you probably also won't believe they took prior generation guns in even trades for new generation guns just to get them in holsters, but they did. Glock will also buy your existing guns as part of the package, and they get sold through some place like Kiesler's.

King Gillette's notion of "give them the razor, sell them the blades" works and Glock exploited that hard and fast.

Once you get in the door, inertia takes over. You buy Glock parts. You send people to Glock armorer's school. You buy Glock magazines. You hire new people, and they need a Glock so you buy more Glocks. People retire and buy or are gifted their duty weapon, so you buy more Glocks. Guns are used to shoot people and sit in the property room so you buy more Glocks. Eventually your guns are worn and need replaced. You already have your logistics and training in place for Glock so what do you buy? Right. So Glock gets a foot in the door and it snowballs. Plus then the Glock rep can use that as a selling point to smaller departments and Glock uses it to market to individual customers. It's good enough for (insert prestige customer here) so it's a great option for you too!

So how do you displace Glock at that point? You aren't going to do it by being marginally cheaper. The inertia, especially with a large department, is very tough to overcome. If you want your gun in Large Dept X's holsters, you will need to offer free support gear, free armorer's training, etc. Which Sig did to limited success. And, again, maybe S&W and others have tried, I just don't know anything about them. We've never even T&E'd them.

I handled the transition from Sig to Glock for a small department about 15 years ago and traded the old Sigs at a local BL Distributor and all the new Triple Retention Safariland Holsters were purchased from the same Store. Maybe the free holsters works for large agencies.

DpdG
12-13-2020, 04:26 PM
I handled the transition from Sig to Glock for a small department about 15 years ago and traded the old Sigs at a local BL Distributor and all the new Triple Retention Safariland Holsters were purchased from the same Store. Maybe the free holsters works for large agencies.

I suspect the difference is your experience was doing business with a local distributor, vs. others’ experience was with the mothership. LE sales reps for manufacturers are under heavy pressure to make deals and the front end is often not where the profit is to be made. At a small PD I’ve spent more money on support stuff (armorer tools and supplies, spare parts, etc..) than any realistic profit margin that could have been made on the original purchase. I saw Glock switch a neighboring department from Sig at no cost to the PD a couple years back. Trade in 229s and leather for new 23s with new 6360s for $0.

Edit- my point is a local distributor likely has to make a profit on each individual deal instead of factory direct’s ability to balance the front end of the deal with the back end supporting purchases. The local isn’t profiting off of armorer training, spare parts, advertising, etc...

YVK
12-13-2020, 04:32 PM
I want a .357 conversion barrel for these. Somebody, make it please.

TC215
12-13-2020, 05:11 PM

Getting them from a dealer isn’t the same as getting them from Glock.

We got brand new USP’s to replace our old UPS’s at my old place around 2012 or 2013. Shortly after we got the new guns, a Glock rep came to headquarters unannounced. He offered up a Glock 21, Safariland duty holster, AND a G30 BUG/off-duty gun for each USP 45. I couldn’t believe it. The chief at the time, though, said he refused to go “from a Cadillac to a Honda.” :rolleyes:

We would have gotten around 400 guns for 200 guns.

By the time we did switch to Glock under a different chief a few years later, that deal was off the table.

TCB
12-14-2020, 01:11 PM
Do Gen 1-4 .40 S&W Glocks fit into Gen 5 9mm holsters? I’ve got a lot of .40 to burn through and nothing to burn it up with anymore...figure I’ll buy a used Gen whatever Glock shoot up all the ammo and sell it. Also, one of the main benifits to shooting with a timer in a training situation is the random start function not necessarily the timing function.

TheNewbie
12-14-2020, 01:35 PM
Do Gen 1-4 .40 S&W Glocks fit into Gen 5 9mm holsters? I’ve got a lot of .40 to burn through and nothing to burn it up with anymore...figure I’ll buy a used Gen whatever Glock shoot up all the ammo and sell it. Also, one of the main benifits to shooting with a timer in a training situation is the random start function not necessarily the timing function.

Can you sell the ammo?

TCB
12-14-2020, 02:15 PM
Can you sell the ammo?

You of all people should know the answer to that one...not without consequences.:rolleyes:

TheNewbie
12-14-2020, 02:32 PM
You of all people should know the answer to that one...not without consequences.:rolleyes:

Ohhhhh it's that type of ammo. ;)

TCB
12-14-2020, 03:34 PM
Sure is. I’ve heard theories that if you trade it (especially if it’s a really lopsided trade that’s not in your favor) you may not get completely fired? But a beater .40 S&W Glock Gen 1-4 “rental” for a year or two seems like a much safer course of action...

Tony Mayer
12-16-2020, 09:51 AM
These look like good changes, can’t wait to shoot one. I wonder what the holster makers have to say about compatibility — would a .40 holster with a tension screw accommodate a 9mm Gen 5, or will it need a whole different holster?

It will be new holsters, but we have new guns and molds on the way!