PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on porting

GJM
08-21-2020, 09:52 PM
I have so far avoided the Roland treatment of a pistol, put off by the extra length, complexity and concerns over reliability. That bell cow Duke has apparently embraced porting in his Core pistols. Porting seems attractive in you are not increasing overall length, don’t have something to come loose, and I am not aware of porting reducing reliability.

What is the thinking on porting on a carry gun, as in the M&P 2.0 Core pistols with that option?

JSGlock34
08-21-2020, 10:21 PM
I had similar thoughts and started this thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?43515-Ported-Barrels) after reading Duke's experience with the M&P as well as seeing Aaron Cowan's video with a ported G34. For now, I'm sticking with a 'Roland Special' (G45 MOS w/KKM Compensator) but if Glock were to offer, say a GEN5 G17C MOS, I'd be looking to give one a try. Still, I don't quite understand why M&P porting > Glock 'C' models.

So Duke's love affair with his S&W Performance Center M&P has gotten me thinking - is there something different about S&W's barrel porting compared to Glock's much disliked 'C' series pistols? What is working better about S&W's execution? I noticed in Aaron Cowan's latest video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYfpdc_Pt6U) he is sporting a GEN5 G34 with a ported barrel by Agency Arms which looks a lot like the old C series treatment. Typically we've seen the "Roland Special" Glock builds use compensators vice ports...why aren't we seeing a GEN5 MOS 'C' model, or what does Glock need to do to make that model desirable?

SecondsCount
08-21-2020, 10:39 PM
I had similar thoughts and started this thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?43515-Ported-Barrels) after reading Duke's experience with the M&P as well as seeing Aaron Cowan's video with a ported G34. For now, I'm sticking with a 'Roland Special' (G45 MOS w/KKM Compensator) but if Glock were to offer, say a GEN5 G17C MOS, I'd be looking to give one a try. Still, I don't quite understand why M&P porting > Glock 'C' models.

Good point about the Glock C models. I remember when they came out and quickly seemed to die off. People supposedly complained about the flash but maybe the newer powders have reduced the issue?

Lon
08-21-2020, 10:57 PM
Do you have AsianJedi contact info? As I recall, last year when I took his 3 day he was rocking a G34 that had been ported. He may have some insight that is worthwhile, but I don’t think he’s on the forum much anymore.

ViniVidivici
08-21-2020, 11:46 PM
I have no use for it, but that is purely academic, as I've never shot a porter pistol.

I don't like having more holes up top that debris can get into on a carry gun.

I've read that the upward-directed gasses can blacken the front site, and interfere with vision when shooting in low light. I shoot alot at night.

Purely anecdotal, no personal experience.

Does a ported pistol, like a G19C, really hold that much flatter when shooting than non ported? Make for much shorter splits?

I need to find someone with a ported G19 or 17 and do some side by side.

Olim9
08-21-2020, 11:59 PM
I've never particularly cared to try comps or ported guns, this is specifically for the factory ported Shield but raises some consideration
https://m.facebook.com/384993038366814/videos/733334056866042/

HCM
08-22-2020, 12:03 AM
I have no use for it, but that is purely academic, as I've never shot a porter pistol.

I don't like having more holes up top that debris can get into on a carry gun.

I've read that the upward-directed gasses can blacken the front site, and interfere with vision when shooting in low light. I shoot alot at night.

Purely anecdotal, no personal experience.

Does a ported pistol, like a G19C, really hold that much flatter when shooting than non ported? Make for much shorter splits?

I need to find someone with a ported G19 or 17 and do some side by side.

All porting systems are not created equal. The C series Glocks have never impressed me the way the KKM comp or the porting on the M&P 2.0 CORES have.

Duke
08-22-2020, 05:08 AM
Oh just fucking stop it with the night blindness nonsense.

It’s a semi auto pistol not a belt fed M249. To that end premium defense ammo from my 13 months now of comped/ported dot guns, Show to have less night time muzzle signature than training ammo. 13 months isn’t a long time but I came directly from an iron sight, non comped/ported gun to these and besides being easier to shoot there wasn’t much to note

Some federal range stuff now is marked “not for use in ported Guns or Guns with comps” not sure sure what kind of Oregon trail era gun they think I’m running but whatever.....

though I have never found myself simultaneously in waist deep quicksand - and with an immediate need to produce my pistol and go to guns - if I did my bets are the ports letting “debris” in my barrel won’t be my biggest issues.

Here’s a non ported bert 92 with a a huge ass muzzle blast.

And here’s a ported 5” M&p....not with a huge fireball. Same ammo.

The RMR at times goes brighter when it registers the flash if you’re in total darkness. But A) beyond just to see what happens - why are you shooting at something in total darkness with no light/weapon light to PID? B) the RMR goes back to normal when the weapon light is illuminating your intended target - which is hard to argue against as the next step before shooting at something in total darkness

I can certainly see the skepticism and overall desire to keep things simple....but we’re looking for an advantage. Big or small. With the correct recoil spring set up id say ports are worth 5-10% of the total controllability. It’s not huge but - wishing your gun recoiled more and had more muzzle rise is not a thing.

Lastly......What ever would I do if my black steel sights....got tarnished....blacker by muzzle blast :rolleyes:

JodyH
08-22-2020, 06:24 AM
Modern comp designs work, no doubt.

As to having one on a carry pistol, nah I'm good.
IMO the advantage a comp brings to the table (primarily faster splits) is nullified when you are shooting at the speed of analysis.
I'd rather not have to deal with the comp negatives (most negatives are overblown but they do exist) when I can already split faster than I can OODA.

BJXDS
08-22-2020, 07:33 AM
The conventional wisdom for many reasons, that I really don't totally buy into is NO Comps for CCW but for competition there may be advantages.

I will say the G21C is one of the softest shooting pistols I have shot, 22 cal excluded, but it is not my ccw choice. AND I don't want to shot a comp pistol from retention

YVK
08-22-2020, 07:53 AM
Porting seems attractive

I agree. I think that it is a sign of a humankind progress when people find a way to improve on things simply by making holes in them. Women's ripped jeans are by far the best example.

I'd be curious to see ballistic gel results out of a ported 4 inch 9 mm barrel that works well in split reduction. 4 inch is because it is the longest barrel I'd carry concealed these days. It is fairly accepted that porting reduces out of muzzle velocity but I don't know if that would be enough to affect terminal ballistic performance or not.

03RN
08-22-2020, 08:41 AM
I have a hard time telling the difference between my m66 and my buddies m19 comp. Im guessing we're just to slow to really notice a difference but Im guessing autos might be different.

farscott
08-22-2020, 08:52 AM
My experience with ported pistols has mostly been with revolvers, notably the Weigand "Tame the Beast" .357 SP-101 and a S&W M686 Quadraport. The Weigand solution is more effective, essentially eliminating muzzle flip with 158-grain full-power ammo. I am faster on the timer and experience less fatigue versus a stock SP-101.

I have never had any issues with flash with quality jacketed ammo or debris from the ports causing issues, even shooting from retention. The latter was a concern. With lead (no jacket), there is some debris and the comp holes do collect some lead. I would suggest avoiding porting if one is shooting cast loads.

JSGlock34
08-22-2020, 09:10 AM
As far as reliability goes, I'll note that I'm on my second time around with a 'Roland Special' Glock with a KKM Barrel/Compensator (the first time was with a GEN4 G19 customized by ATEi; today is with a G45 MOS). I don't muck around with changing recoil springs. Trigger parts are all OEM. In my experience, they'll run just fine, but you need to use warmer ammunition. I've had 100% with Federal 147 grain loads. Softer 115 grain Federal or Blazer has caused some problems. With my GEN4 iteration I used to run a lot of 124gr and 124gr+P loads; these are quite reliable as well.

I don't find ammo selection for the comp'd Roland style guns any more difficult than say sticking with soft Federal primers to pair with my tuned Berettas with reduced power hammer springs.

You do need to keep an eye on the comp as after a thousand rounds the set screws might need to be tightened. Or maybe not. Inspect your gear.

MGW
08-22-2020, 09:19 AM
Years ago I remember a borrowed 23c blasting crap back in my face. Maybe it was shitty ammo or just a bad barrel but that was the end of ported Glocks for me. Duke hasn’t reported any of that with his 2.0’s.

I don’t personally see the appeal with 9mm in a full-size gun. M&P’s and Glocks shoot pretty flat already.

CDFIII
08-22-2020, 09:42 AM
I really like the PMM Comp. Threads on with shims and rockset. It’s been on one of my 19x’s for probably 8-9k and zero issues so far.59138

JSGlock34
08-22-2020, 09:43 AM
Aaron Cowan seems to be running ported guns lately. I'm amused that Glock gets rid of the open top slide of the G34 and immediately people start cutting holes in them...
https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/s640x640/94298557_607079716824482_1770803126122207607_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=045MsKThKzwAX-Fq-NZ&oh=26b20e5f4b498f1b5b879b8afd9d15ae&oe=5F6B00C1

Though this video is more about the AOS optics system, some video of his Agency G34C at night at about the 5:45 mark. Doesn't look like a 10d6 fireball to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYfpdc_Pt6U

theJanitor
08-22-2020, 12:29 PM
I really suck at shooting glocks, and I'm not very good with the RMR either. But I'm about a week into this PMM comp and it's helping me see the dot through the recoil, so that's a huge plus for me. If this doesn't work, I'm gonna duplicate the MnP setup Duke is running

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50252751356_3aac1ee759_c.jpg

jh9
08-22-2020, 01:22 PM
The conventional wisdom for many reasons, that I really don't totally buy into is NO Comps for CCW but for competition there may be advantages.

I will say the G21C is one of the softest shooting pistols I have shot, 22 cal excluded, but it is not my ccw choice. AND I don't want to shot a comp pistol from retention

The Glock 22C I briefly owned is the only .40 Glock (aside from the 24) that I didn't absolutely hate because of obnoxious recoil.

It's been a couple decades and memory is fuzzy but the Glock porting stands out in my mind as working rather well. Or at least it felt that way compared to it's 1990s-era contemporaries.

98z28
08-22-2020, 01:28 PM
I toyed with an 4.25" 1.0 M&P ported CORE back when I was playing with the 2.0 M&P's. It's the only experience I have with a ported handgun, so take the following with a grain of salt.

The ported 1.0 gun shot flatter (less muzzle rise) than the 2.0 guns, which already shot noticeably flatter than the 1.0 non-ported version. I'd say Duke's 5-10% estimate of muzzle rise reduction is about right, though I never filmed it in slow motion to investigate. I am just going by feel and sight. I could easily keep the dot in the window during recoil, which I'm not particularly good at normally. Putting the ported 1.0 upper on the 2.0 lower was fantastic. It was almost like shooting a .22 in terms of muzzle movement, though there was obviously more blast and noise.

I only shot factory jacketed ammo through the ported gun. The front sight did get dark over a range session, but I was using the dot anyway. I shot plenty from retention because I heard on the internet that that was not a good idea with a ported gun. It was fine. You can feel and hear increases concussion/blast, but I didn't have any burns on my clothes or arms and I didn't have anything hit my face or eye pro. I'd be comfortable shooting from retention in a self defense scenario, at least with that particular gun.

If I were going back down the M&P rabbit hole, I'd make a choice based on what combination of upper and lower I wanted rather before making a choice on porting or not. If I could easily get a ported version with the lower I want and an optics cut, I'd go that way. If I had to buy several guns to mix and match the parts I want to get the lower I wanted with an optics cut and porting, I'd probably just skip the porting and take what is available from Smith without bending over backwards to have porting.

I really want a compact 15-round lower and an upper with an optics cut, which doesn't seem to exist, so I'd have to buy several guns to put that package together anyway. If you're fine with a full sized lower, then that's a non-issue. I'd have no hesitation going for the porting.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

JSGlock34
08-22-2020, 01:36 PM
p/B_5lRG6jFEd

HCountyGuy
08-22-2020, 01:49 PM
I know Southnarc has seen porting present some potential safety issues in retention shooting in classes.

https://www.facebook.com/384993038366814/posts/733334673532647/?vh=e&extid=qsEMLXAVW3JrNDWU&d=n

and

https://www.facebook.com/384993038366814/videos/642982982567817/?vh=e&extid=nYfDDZiSM909PrIh&d=n

JSGlock34
08-22-2020, 02:17 PM
I know Southnarc has seen porting present some potential safety issues in retention shooting in classes.

https://www.facebook.com/384993038366814/posts/733334673532647/?vh=e&extid=qsEMLXAVW3JrNDWU&d=n

and

https://www.facebook.com/384993038366814/videos/642982982567817/?vh=e&extid=nYfDDZiSM909PrIh&d=n

Both posts seem specific to that ported Shield model?

DocGKR
08-22-2020, 02:40 PM
The G19 w/KKM and similar comps work well and do not seem to have an issue shooting from retention.

On the other hand, the G19c and other "c" model Glocks did have issues shooting from retention. These c-model Glocks also had reliability issues due to carbon building up between the slide and barrel; early in the GWOT, a US military unit received some G19c's instead of their normal G19's and discovered this during some high volume training. The original inventor of the G19 Roland and some other well known folks were in this unit and commented on this problem publicly in the 2005 time-frame over at Lightfighter.

Wondering Beard
08-22-2020, 03:02 PM
If you have taken an ECQC class (or equivalent where you had to shoot from pectoral index) with a ported/comped gun, you know how that works with that gun and for you, be it positive or negative.

If you haven't taken such a class, I suggest you go to the range, bring a piece of paper that you will hold over the ports/comp when you shoot with your carry ammo. That should give you some idea of what happens with the flash, unburnt powder (if any), bullet shavings (if any) etc .. Then when you get back home, look up the high pectoral index in photos or videos, mimic it, see where that port/comp is pointed (we have different bodies, so it's not going to be the exactly the same for everyone) and figure out for that gun if you're ok with where whatever is coming out of that comp/port is going. If you're ok with it, drive on, if you're not ok with it, don't carry that gun

Duelist
08-22-2020, 03:24 PM
If you have taken an ECQC class (or equivalent where you had to shoot from pectoral index) with a ported/comped gun, you know how that works with that gun and for you, be it positive or negative.

If you haven't taken such a class, I suggest you go to the range, bring a piece of paper that you will hold over the ports/comp when you shoot with your carry ammo. That should give you some idea of what happens with the flash, unburnt powder (if any), bullet shavings (if any) etc .. Then when you get back home, look up the high pectoral index in photos or videos, mimic it, see where that port/comp is pointed (we have different bodies, so it's not going to be the exactly the same for everyone) and figure out for that gun if you're ok with where whatever is coming out of that comp/port is going. If you're ok with it, drive on, if you're not ok with it, don't carry that gun

I remember an article or blog post Tamara wrote some time back about running part of a class with a lot of position 2/pectoral retention shooting while using a shorter barreled pistol. Her comment that her anatomy wasn’t compatible with shooting that gun from that position and that she was a lot more comfortable after swapping to a longer slide version of the same gun stuck with me, though my anatomy isn’t the same, and led to an experiment of shooting a variety of pistols and revolvers from that position.

A heavy .357 load really cleared my sinuses and gave my chest and left hand that was pressed to my sternum an uncomfortable whack. Do not recommend.

1911Nut
08-22-2020, 08:30 PM
I know for certain that ports in the barrel of a 4" S&W Model 29 and 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk in caliber .44 Magnum full power loads with 250 gr. and 300 gr. bullets make a pretty fair difference in reducing perceived recoil.

In 9mm pistols?? Eh . . . . not so much.

But I will add . . . . if the shooter THINKS the ports are helping him achieve faster splits with his Glock 9mm, then they are probably worth the time and money to HIM.

JSGlock34
08-22-2020, 08:59 PM
I think porting/compensators complement RDS sights; the whole is more than the sum of the parts.

GJM
08-22-2020, 09:11 PM
A few thoughts and questions.

1) if someone wanted a comp to attach to the threaded barrel on the Shadow MR920, which comp would be recommended and why?

2) if someone wanted to comp a Glock 43X, what comp would be recommended? Will the combo fit in a Glock 48 holster?

3) I see the 4.25 Core is available ported. If experience caused me to not like porting, could I add an OEM or Apex non ported barrel and carry on without issue?

4) how does the recoil reduction from a ported S&W M&P compare to a Glock in Roland configuration?

5) finally, if someone could post a picture of a hot chick shooting a ported Glock or S&W in ripped jeans, YVK would appreciate it.

WDR
08-22-2020, 10:24 PM

5) finally, if someone could post a picture of a hot chick shooting a ported Glock or S&W in ripped jeans, YVK would appreciate it.

He's not the only one...

YVK
08-22-2020, 10:37 PM
I see the 4.25 Core is available ported. If experience caused me to not like porting

I don't think it would be possible for you not to like porting. I've been doing some research and it looks like porting can bring splits so low that they are actually in negative. Say, you're shooting the doubles. Or course, you can't buy a skill and you have to grip well etc. That said, seems that in good hands with ported guns, as well as with better examples of compensated guns such as MR920 with an attached SJC Titan, your second shot comes out so fast that what you thought was your second shot was actually you first shot because your split was so fast that the second shot beat the first one.
If I could, I would go all in on this.

Cookie Monster
08-22-2020, 11:50 PM
Any hard use chainsaw should be ported to wake it up a little and move the chips faster. A little louder and less efficient but less work for the operator.

I didn’t really read the thread.

HCM
08-23-2020, 12:36 AM
Any hard use chainsaw should be ported to wake it up a little and move the chips faster. A little louder and less efficient but less work for the operator.

I didn’t really read the thread.

The chainsaw bidet flushes the chips away.

Duke
08-23-2020, 12:04 PM
https://youtu.be/zQtdT4Yhlnc

farscott
08-23-2020, 12:52 PM
https://youtu.be/zQtdT4Yhlnc

I never tried laying my shirt over the ports when firing -- and I am glad. But I tried the white sheet of paper over the ported SP-101 multiple times. Never saw anything like the holes in that shirt. What the heck is going on with the M&P porting? Is that the front sight tearing it?

Duke
08-23-2020, 01:16 PM
I never tried laying my shirt over the ports when firing -- and I am glad. But I tried the white sheet of paper over the ported SP-101 multiple times. Never saw anything like the holes in that shirt. What the heck is going on with the M&P porting? Is that the front sight tearing it?

I just pressed in rather than draping it over

Muzzle blast from any gun -ported or non- would do the same thing

And our clothes aren’t made of grenade skins so, we won’t die if we have to roll this is real life

Lester Polfus
08-23-2020, 01:25 PM
This is apropos of probably no one but...

I once was given a stock of 135 grain 10mm bullets, which are pretty much useless for anything except making giant fireballs. I found that if I lit one of those off from the retention position, with the muzzle almost touching the target, it would actually tear the target almost in half and send a bunch of powder gasses up my noses and up inside my shooting glasses.

JodyH
08-23-2020, 01:30 PM
If you don't have a high pectoral index and aren't maintaining tension between your shoulder blades you aren't doing a proper retention position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8f3PJ7FOhk

Duke
08-23-2020, 03:31 PM
If you don't have a high pectoral index and aren't maintaining tension between your shoulder blades you aren't doing a proper retention position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8f3PJ7FOhk

Agree - i just needed to get my shirt over the gun without muzzling my arm and keeping camera view.

ViniVidivici
08-23-2020, 03:48 PM

beyond just to see what happens - why are you shooting at something in total darkness with no light/weapon light to PID?

Lastly......What ever would I do if my black steel....

You're talkin' to me, right? Take it easy, you see the part where I said "anecdotal"?

Nobody said anything about shooting a target without PIDing it. I use a light. Illuminate/move/shoot....you know, low-light 101? But fact is you can be in diminished light, and see well enough to know what you're shooting at, but it's still darkish. Ain't all black and white.

Some of us don't run black front sites.

Now, it would seem that ported guns aren't the upward-fire-breathing dragons some have made 'em out to be.

Duke
08-23-2020, 03:50 PM
You're talkin' to me, right? Take it easy, you see the part where I said "anecdotal"?

Nobody said anything about shooting a target without PIDing it. I use a light. Illuminate/move/shoot....you know, low-light 101? But fact is you can be in diminished light, and see well enough to know what you're shooting at, but it's still darkish. Ain't all black and white.

Some of us don't run black front sites.

Now, it would seem that ported guns aren't the upward-fire-breathing dragons some have made 'em out to be.

Sorry. Personal attack not intended

HCountyGuy
08-23-2020, 04:36 PM
An old topic on the factory compensated/ported Glocks (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?12189-Compensated-Glocks)

g45c
08-23-2020, 08:19 PM
Lets be realistic. How often are most of us going to be in a gun fight? Now, what are the odds of having to shoot from retention in that situation? I've carried a 19C for several years and also compete in the local carry gun matches with it. Personally I find it to be a significant advantage over a non ported 19 so much so that I ported the 19X and G45 that I also carry at times.. Figures don't lie and the guys that complain about night blindness have never shot one at night.
https://gundigest.com/article/ported-barrel-reduce-recoil
https://i.imgur.com/ps46Bhz.jpg

GJM
08-23-2020, 08:32 PM
Who did the porting?

EVP
08-23-2020, 08:39 PM
I have no experience with comps or ported guns but I would think a good comp design would be the most efficient.

But I would think a design by the now defunct Weapons Armament Research would be effective as well.

https://weaponsarmamentresearch.com/g19-afterburner-wide-body/

JSGlock34
08-23-2020, 09:48 PM
Just one observation in the porting vs. compensator discussion...

A KKM barrel/compensator drops right into a Glock 19 or 45, is compatible with (most) Glock 34 holsters, and is an entirely reversible addition to the pistol. The KKM barrel/comp is also desirable enough that if the experiment results in a pass, is easily resalable to those looking to try a 'Roland Special'.

Personally I'd give the comp a try before cutting holes in slides and barrels. Cheaper too.

(Not that ports aren't starting to attract my attention - I'm digging the G45 'C' posted above - I just wouldn't start there).

cornstalker
08-23-2020, 10:30 PM

1) if someone wanted a comp to attach to the threaded barrel on the Shadow MR920, which comp would be recommended and why?

2) if someone wanted to comp a Glock 43X, what comp would be recommended? Will the combo fit in a Glock 48 holster?

3) I see the 4.25 Core is available ported. If experience caused me to not like porting, could I add an OEM or Apex non ported barrel and carry on without issue?

4) how does the recoil reduction from a ported S&W M&P compare to a Glock in Roland configuration?

In regards to #2, the only G43X comp I have found that will fit in a DSG G48 holster with my Victory First barrel is the Suarez. (I have a spare if you want to try it) The ARC Sparc 43 is just a tad longer with the same VF barrel and does not fit. Agency barrels have quite a bit longer threads than VF barrels and leave a gap between comp and slide using the ARC or Suarez comp, and are not even close to fitting in a G48 holster. The ARC comp works better than the Suarez, so I have a DSG G48 Longboi on order.

In regards to #5, someone really needs to step up and help YVK out.

medmo
08-23-2020, 11:22 PM

I can’t. Maybe I’m light sensitive? Seriously, no offense intended, have you ever cranked a round off in pitch darkness with a ported or comped pistol? My experience is that it’s a flash compressor and I have a bright orange spot overlay for a period of time afterwards. True fact. Maybe some of us are more light sensitive than others.

willie
08-24-2020, 12:01 AM
At one time I owned ported revolvers which had been been ported by the well known Magnaport company. I noticed that as barrel length increased, the effect of the treatment became more noticeable. Leverage exerted by the longer barrel seemed to bring the barrel down more. Also, high pressure cartridges like the magnums had more jet effect than did non magnums. Once I asked the Magnaport company to custom order a Bar Sto barrel for a 1950's Colt LW Commander in 38 Super. They ported it and fitted it to my pistol. The porting noticeably tamed muzzle rise. Here's what I say. If you want a ported pistol, then get one. Yes. Porting works. Will it save your life? I doubt it. Would I go this expense again. No. We tinker and play and learn.

Duke
08-24-2020, 01:55 AM
I can’t. Maybe I’m light sensitive? Seriously, no offense intended, have you ever cranked a round off in pitch darkness with a ported or comped pistol? My experience is that it’s a flash compressor and I have a bright orange spot overlay for a period of time afterwards. True fact. Maybe some of us are more light sensitive than others.

Yes. I have many times. On my range to gauge the effect, fired many rounds comped/ported etc in total darkness.

But - and without trying to wax poetical about general liability or tactics - why....outside of a private range scenario are we shooting things....in total darkness...with no light source for positive target ID?

Certainly we agree that our chance of civilian engagement is so low that any of this is minutia. The need for ports, the advantage flat shooting, Maybe even carrying a gun at all is so far into the fractions of a % that it’s just noise.

Even then so - the chance of civilian engagement where the hostiles number so greatly that we must eradicate anything that moves (even in total darkness) is practically non existent.

I was not blinded to any measurable degree after any of this:

JodyH
08-24-2020, 07:26 AM
Since I have nothing better to spend money on...

Ordered a Mayhem Syndicate Carry Comp Mk2 for a Gen5 19.
I'm going to play around with it on both my RDS topped 19X and my iron sighted carry 19.
Chose it because I already have a pile of 17 holsters that it's supposed to drop right in.

As usual P-F brings out the worst of my pack rat like need to collect bright shiny objects and my raccoon like desire to constantly play with them.

Blades
08-24-2020, 07:41 AM

I'm going to play around with it on both my RDS topped 19X and my iron sighted carry 19.
Chose it because I already have a pile of 17 holsters that it's supposed to drop right in.

As usual P-F brings out the worst of my pack rat like need to collect bright shiny objects and my raccoon like desire to constantly play with them.

Looking forward to your review of the Mayhem comp. I saw a used one for a G26.5 on another forum and it's "bright shiny" newness makes me want to buy it for my new G26.5 I haven't even shot yet. :)

g45c
08-24-2020, 03:43 PM
Who did the porting?

Factory barrel and I have a local machinist that cut the ports in the slide He does an amazing job and can do the barrel also.. Slickest thing I'm seen to date was a G48 that was ported just like a 19C and it really flattened the pistol out.. Just my personal experience but I don't see as much reduction on a 17C or the ported full size M&P.. Ports are nearly in the middle of the barrel on a 19 and the 17 and the M&P have ports at the front of the pistol. I've also experienced that a lightened slide (ZEV Dragonfly) doesn't appear to be quite as effective as the heavier factory slide. Evidently there's a fine balance to get the max from porting but that's just my semi educated opinion.

https://i.imgur.com/KGfTQIA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0RFaFoS.jpg

YVK
08-24-2020, 04:53 PM
Figures don't lie and the guys that complain about night blindness have never shot one at night.
https://gundigest.com/article/ported-barrel-reduce-recoil

Nice example of how different folks internalize same information differently. I read that article with a great interest and at the end concluded that it was a decent piece of data not for but against porting a G19 barrel. Just my take, of course.

Thanks for posting.

g45c
08-24-2020, 06:28 PM
I'm curious to know what you feel is the downside of the porting, less velocity? 30% recoil reduction is huge for me where follow up shots are concerned and if used with ammo like Ruger ARX I would estimate close to 50% recoil reduction. I know the jury is still out on that bullet design but my feeling is that accurate fire and time to first shot on target trumps the possible negatives. I appreciate the feed back and always want to hear other opinions on any self defense issue.

Thanks

JodyH
08-24-2020, 06:42 PM
Porting has fewer quirks than comps.
With a compensator you're hanging extra weight out on the end of a tilting barrel which can cause reliability issues.
A lot of comps also have a lot of surface area for the gasses to push forward against, which again can cause timing issues in tilting barrel designs.
Nothing that can't usually be overcome with some recoil spring tinkering, but I'd really like to see pistols engineered from the ground up with compensators for the best shot at reliability and durability.

Navin Johnson
08-24-2020, 07:16 PM
Understanding in a perfect world one can tilt the gun to avoid hot gases during retention shooting. But the world is non-perfect and that's probably not always possible.Also understanding one needs to tilt the gun for functionality issues.

Has anybody done any meaningful retention shooting with ported guns or compensated or whatever.

Hot gases in the face and muzzle blast seem to be the main downsides that I can think of

YVK
08-24-2020, 08:13 PM
I'm curious to know what you feel is the downside of the porting, less velocity?

Yes is a short answer. 50 to 80 fps drop is not small by any means. If memory serves me, ballistic testing is usually done from a service length barrel so 4 incher already starts lower. With pistols I definitely don't want to compromise penetration, and expansion helps with 9 mm.

Longer answer.
Professional habit: I don't look at relative reductions, I look at absolute numbers. Looks like non-ported barrel flips up 5-6 cm, and ports drop it down by 1.5-1.8. Those folks calculated that ports account for almost 75% of that, the rest is because velocity is lower. So, we're talking about extra half inch flip reduction with ports. Nice to have, yes, dramatic, doubt.
Furthermore, for scientific purposes they had to use an "unrestrained" system that flips up fairly freely. I think it would be more representative of a compromised one handed grip or like. That said, I have very high doubts that if the system simulated my size 8 hands gripping the gun the way they should, with my wrists locked etc, that the flip difference would be that much, if anything.

Those are my thoughts about that experiment alone. Unrelated to that, other thoughts that go into my opinion:
- It doesn't matter how much if flips, it matters how fast it returns.
- I don't know anything about defensive shootings. People who do and who have posted here talked about shooting at a speed of processing, around 0.5 sec. I can pretty confidently shoot at half that speed with my G19 and zippy ammo. If I shot my Glocks with any degree of regularity, I think I could get faster. I have shot one or two classifiers at A class numbers with a G45. I see no reason to complicate things with porting, comping and such.

GJM
08-24-2020, 08:18 PM

Darn, that is expensive — give us a detailed report! (Is it really 8-10 weeks out)

Duke
08-24-2020, 08:48 PM
That second pair though.

https://youtu.be/OWZ5UV1DXCU

cmoore
08-24-2020, 08:56 PM
John Holschen has an opinion on ported carry guns (12:25 in below video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ_uwRJLPmA

JodyH
08-24-2020, 09:02 PM
Darn, that is expensive — give us a detailed report! (Is it really 8-10 weeks out)
I like the short length, the quick detach and the barrel is a S3F Solutions.
So while not cheap it does have some innovative features and a quality barrel.

I hope it's not 8-10 weeks but it is 2020...

This is going on my current test mule 19X which is topped with a Holosun 508T.

Blackbag
08-24-2020, 09:06 PM
I have a Mayhem Syndicate barrel/comp for my Gen 5 17 MOS and for a 43x (still waiting on the MOS/Rail model 43x). The wait will be ever bit of 8-10 weeks. I think Boresight Solutions did my frame faster than I got the Barrel/Comp.

JodyH
08-24-2020, 09:10 PM
I have a Mayhem Syndicate barrel/comp for my Gen 5 17 MOS and for a 43x (still waiting on the MOS/Rail model 43x). The wait will be ever bit of 8-10 weeks. I think Boresight Solutions did my frame faster than I got the Barrel/Comp.

Stop harshing my mellow man.
:cool:

Next week I start 14 hour shifts for 14 days straight, so that'll burn up a third of the wait time.

Blackbag
08-24-2020, 09:18 PM
Stop harshing my mellow man.
:cool:

Next week I start 14 hour shifts for 14 days straight, so that'll burn up a third of the wait time.

LOL, didn't mean to rain on your parade, just didn't want you to get your hopes up, because I already did it. Seriously, the attachment system is great!

YVK
08-24-2020, 09:24 PM
That second pair though.

Looks pretty flat and fast.

HCM
08-25-2020, 12:02 AM
John Holschen has an opinion on ported carry guns (12:25 in below video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ_uwRJLPmA

Everyone has an opinion. The question is whether or no iit's an informed opinion. Regardless of background, there is nothing in that clip indicating one way or another.

cmoore
08-25-2020, 06:24 AM
Everyone has an opinion. The question is whether or no iit's an informed opinion.

Yes. I agree.

ST911
08-25-2020, 07:59 AM
My .02...

Comps and porting are useful on some guns. Good shooters can eek out extra performance. Others should probably just take a class/train/practice more.
Comps and ports can narrow the window of reliability and are extra stuff to dink with.
Hazards in retention positions are a thing, usually overstated, a 1% problem, and can be mitigated.
Bullet selection is a thing, and jacket shearing can destroy guns and injure shooters.
G19Cs make me sad.

archangel
08-25-2020, 08:48 AM

Yep. The M&P that I used in USPSA Carry Optics has the ported CORE slide with an un-ported KKM barrel.

farscott
08-25-2020, 08:55 AM
Yep. The M&P that I used in USPSA Carry Optics has the ported CORE slide with an un-ported KKM barrel.

Just do not put the ported barrel in a regular slide. I have a Glock frame that was destroyed with one shot from that experiment. The gas from the ports found the path of lowest impedance to escape and snapped the dust cover. The now-bent serial number plate in the frame is what retained the dust cover; the plastic failed. No, I was not the experimenter; I just bought the destroyed frame.

TCinVA
08-25-2020, 08:59 AM

That is an actual fact. Some are more light sensitive than others.

Your eyeballs are unique to you. There are certain physical realities of eyesight that result from genetics, age, diet, health and injury that pretty much guarantees that very few specimens of humanity actually see the world the exact same way you do.

Then factor in the differences in ammunition.

Some ammunition spits a yellowish ball of flame out the end. Some ammunition has flash retardants in the powder and you get a darker orange that doesn't do much to your ability to see. Some powder produces a brilliant white light and causes a flashbulb-like effect which can completely bleach the rhodopsin in your rods and can literally leave you blind for a couple of seconds.

It depends on you and what you're using.

TCinVA
08-25-2020, 09:07 AM
Everyone has an opinion. The question is whether or no iit's an informed opinion. Regardless of background, there is nothing in that clip indicating one way or another.

Holschen is one of the people in the business I'd listen to very carefully.

Personally I am not a fan of porting or compensators for carry guns because of retention shooting. This is another place where someone else's homework cannot be relied upon. People are different shapes and sizes different people face different problems in gripping a handgun, shooting a handgun, seeing the sights, and even what their risks are from shooting in a retention position.

Personally my #2 ends up quite high and directly under my right eyeball. Not where I want a compensator or ports on most pistols I've handled to drive hot gas, burning powder, and all the other nastiness that's coming out when the pistol is fired.

It's worth taking a very hard look at for oneself before committing one way or another.

HCM
08-25-2020, 11:27 AM
Holschen is one of the people in the business I'd listen to very carefully.

Personally I am not a fan of porting or compensators for carry guns because of retention shooting. This is another place where someone else's homework cannot be relied upon. People are different shapes and sizes different people face different problems in gripping a handgun, shooting a handgun, seeing the sights, and even what their risks are from shooting in a retention position.

Personally my #2 ends up quite high and directly under my right eyeball. Not where I want a compensator or ports on most pistols I've handled to drive hot gas, burning powder, and all the other nastiness that's coming out when the pistol is fired.

It's worth taking a very hard look at for oneself before committing one way or another.

i know who Holschen is but the linked video has none of the process you are talking about - it just has a one liner about “porting bad” and there fore doesn’t add any value.

medmo
08-25-2020, 01:22 PM
But - and without trying to wax poetical about general liability or tactics - why....outside of a private range scenario are we shooting things....in total darkness...with no light source for positive target ID?

My home is on a ranch, out in the middle of the county. I have a TLR-something mounted on everything I carry at night out of necessity. Thirty or forty paces from my front door on some nights it’s pitch, can’t see your hand in front of your face, kind of dark. The most likely need for venturing out armed is for four legged and slithering creatures.

Duke
08-25-2020, 01:43 PM
My home is on a ranch, out in the middle of the county. I have a TLR-something mounted on everything I carry at night out of necessity. Thirty or forty paces from my front door on some nights it’s pitch, can’t see your hand in front of your face, kind of dark. The most likely need for venturing out armed is for four legged and slithering creatures.

Same here. Hundreds of farmland acres surrounding.

Look at things with nods or white light like yourself.

Grey
08-25-2020, 02:37 PM
Same here. Hundreds of farmland acres surrounding.

Look at things with nods or white light like yourself.

Duke has NODs? Flexing... Someone help me convince my wife that 150+ acres is a good idea... As long as they have fiber optic internet...

Duke
08-25-2020, 05:09 PM
Duke has NODs? Flexing... Someone help me convince my wife that 150+ acres is a good idea... As long as they have fiber optic internet...

Nods. Check.

Endless area. Check.

Internet....that’s a bit of a problem

MolonLabe416
08-25-2020, 05:50 PM
I’ve no doubt that porting reduces split times. That’s important in competition. Is it important in self defense? I very much doubt it.

The potential for additional flash in low light or blast in my eyes when shooting from retention or a jackass position far outweighs the reduction in split times in a defensive situation.

Duke
08-25-2020, 06:30 PM
I’ve no doubt that porting reduces split times. That’s important in competition. Is it important in self defense? I very much doubt it.

The potential for additional flash in low light or blast in my eyes when shooting from retention or a jackass position far outweighs the reduction in split times in a defensive situation.

Shooting is shooting

One blanket statement for your blanket statement - All else equal a faster shot is better than a slower shot.

*Your* defensive situation will tell you what aspect of shooting outweighs others for that specific engagement.

farscott
08-25-2020, 06:40 PM
For me, the main benefit is the muzzle rise is less, sparing my elbows and wrists. That allows me to practice more without pain. It also allows me to shoot calibers I no longer can without pain, such as .357 Magnum.

When I was younger and stupider, I shot a lot of .44 Magnum and, later, .454 Casull. My first centerfire handgun was a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum. I used to shoot hundreds of full-power rounds per week as I hit the range most days after work. That was not the best thing for my joints, and I am paying the price now. I should have shot ported revolvers back then.

WOLFIE
08-25-2020, 07:53 PM
At one time I owned a Glock 22C. The porting worked very well. Recoil and felt recoil we’re reduced significantly. After reading the thread and I have learned some things by doing so, I have decided to not buy a ported handgun for defensive use. I was looking at the M&P 5” 9mm M2.0(ported). I may buy it for competition and just having fun though and buy the non ported version for serious use.

To best explain my choice, I have to say that I like cool things regarding defensive use hardware. To name a few: porting, longer barrels, HD sights, front serrations, flared mag wells, kydex, a beautiful woman who carries spare magazines for my EDC in her specialty designed purse who is trained to hand me spare reloads while always staying behind me no matter how I move, and red dot sights.

The loss in slide velocity is what I based my choice on. One reason I buy handguns with longer barrels such as the HK45 TB (factory TB model) is for the extra velocity. One cool thing conflicted with another cool thing.

KevH
08-25-2020, 10:39 PM
I have a Gen3 22C that was manufactured in 2000. To be quite frank, it's one of the most pleasant 40 S&W pistols I have ever shot. I have shot it extensively at night with no issue. The people that post garbage about ported Glocks at night blinding people have no experience shooting one.

I have several co-workers that own 21C's. One particular gun I know has well in excess of 30k rounds that have been put through it in the past twenty years. It's been through several 500 round days and plenty of night shoots where that gun has been shot. It's been shot "from retention" plenty of times.

I've never understood the internet drama over these guns. I think they're great.

Mike C
08-25-2020, 11:05 PM
Nods. Check.

Endless area. Check.

Internet....that’s a bit of a problem

From where I'm standing Duke that's a great problem to have. With that said it brings me to one very important question, when are we going to see some more videos of you shooting Lifesavers and how about with said NODs? That would be a cool video. :p

Duke
08-26-2020, 07:05 AM
From where I'm standing Duke that's a great problem to have. With that said it brings me to one very important question, when are we going to see some more videos of you shooting Lifesavers and how about with said NODs? That would be a cool video. :p

The life saver shot is causing some real issues

It needs to be eye level to pass cleanly through, where as a match can be lit with the bullet at a downward angle.

Individually wrapped lifesavers Is the way.... a small clamp to hold them.

Camera angle, placement and catching a good take on film has been difficult to master.

Also the can I used for most my 22 pistol work became so full of lead after 13k ish rounds (not disassembled or cleaned ) that bullet impact shifted radically.

Took about a week of soaking and scrubbing with SLP2000 carbon killer to get it apart.

Pics

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCuagxTJTHh/?igshid=o3x8jlcsq3jn

Dave Williams
08-26-2020, 11:15 AM
I have a Gen3 22C that was manufactured in 2000. To be quite frank, it's one of the most pleasant 40 S&W pistols I have ever shot. I have shot it extensively at night with no issue. The people that post garbage about ported Glocks at night blinding people have no experience shooting one.

I have several co-workers that own 21C's. One particular gun I know has well in excess of 30k rounds that have been put through it in the past twenty years. It's been through several 500 round days and plenty of night shoots where that gun has been shot. It's been shot "from retention" plenty of times.

I've never understood the internet drama over these guns. I think they're great.

I had an issued G22C for about ten years, put about 20K through it. I never shot any other 40s&w guns. When we transitioned to non ported G22s, we were all shocked by how much recoil they had lol. Turns out Gold Dot 165@1150 is a hot round!

KevH
08-28-2020, 07:48 PM
I had an issued G22C for about ten years, put about 20K through it. I never shot any other 40s&w guns. When we transitioned to non ported G22s, we were all shocked by how much recoil they had lol. Turns out Gold Dot 165@1150 is a hot round!

My department has issued the 155gr HST for the past ten years and issued the 155gr Hyra-Shok at least a decade before that as its 40 S&W duty cartridge. It's a ridiculously hot and snappy round compared to 180 gr 40 S&W.

I remember just after the Gen4 was introduced shooting up at our range with the Glock factory rep who was touting the recoil reduction of the new offering. I had my old Gen3 22C. Shooting back to back it was abundantly clear how much softer the ported gun shot and the rep was a bit embarrassed.

That's the point of the ported guns. The hotter the round, the more recoil reduction. I previously owned a Gen2 19C. Meh, not much difference between it and a standard 19. Move over to a 40 S&W or a 357 SIG with hot ammo and the difference is substantial.

BillSWPA
08-28-2020, 08:30 PM
Has anyone shot both a Sig P365 and a Sig P365 SAS? If so, how much difference in recoil was felt?

Navyguns
08-30-2020, 12:44 PM
I have owned Glock compensated models for years. I have a generation three & four G19. They are my favorite Glocks I've owned. They simply allow faster follow up shots when that is apropos. Also, there is a reduction in felt recoil and this can be a nice feature for those with hand or arm issues. This could allow them to carry more gun or shoot more effectively without inducing more problems. As we all know the internet has an issue with perpetuating myths about firearms and I have not found those myths associated with Glock comp'd models to be true. I don't think Glock effectively articulated or communicated the efficacy of the comp'd feature and many purchased other models. Another option people have is to install a non-ported barrel if they find the myths to be anxiety inducing in that gun.

I also have a P365 SAS and think it helps there as well. Probably more so due to the small stature of the pistol. I put the P365 SAS in the same category as a snub nosed revolver. It would be nice to see Glock expand the "C" models to pistols with MOS, slim-line and would really like a G26C. Or, a Glock 43X with comp and MOS would be a superlative weapon. But no rail I hate those rails. 😁

BillSWPA
08-30-2020, 06:43 PM
I have owned Glock compensated models for years. I have a generation three & four G19. They are my favorite Glocks I've owned. They simply allow faster follow up shots when that is apropos. Also, there is a reduction in felt recoil and this can be a nice feature for those with hand or arm issues. This could allow them to carry more gun or shoot more effectively without inducing more problems. As we all know the internet has an issue with perpetuating myths about firearms and I have not found those myths associated with Glock comp'd models to be true. I don't think Glock effectively articulated or communicated the efficacy of the comp'd feature and many purchased other models. Another option people have is to install a non-ported barrel if they find the myths to be anxiety inducing in that gun.

I also have a P365 SAS and think it helps there as well. Probably more so due to the small stature of the pistol. I put the P365 SAS in the same category as a snub nosed revolver. It would be nice to see Glock expand the "C" models to pistols with MOS, slim-line and would really like a G26C. Or, a Glock 43X with comp and MOS would be a superlative weapon. But no rail I hate those rails. [emoji16]

Thanks for your observations. How do you find the sights on the P365 SAS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navyguns
08-30-2020, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=BillSWPA;1106027]Thanks for your observations. How do you find the sights on the P365 SAS?

It was smart for Sig to bury the P365 SAS sight. It is actually pretty quick and intuitive. You will need to shoot with both eyes open as the slide can seem to obscure the target. It does glow in the dark but when light is behind you you can get glare on the lens of the optic. It is different and with time it would become more accurate but probably not traditional sights accurate. However, I think the place it is best suited is as a replacement for a snub nosed revolver. If you want to shoot B8 @ 25 yards all the time this is not the tool for that.

JSGlock34
09-06-2020, 07:48 PM
So my "Roland Special" was running like a sewing machine - until it wasn't. Suddenly I was getting multiple FTF; seemed like the slide was short stroking and not picking up the next round from the magazine. Very atypical from my experience with this pistol or other Rolands I've owned; ammunition was my usual 147gr. AE FMJ.

Took the gun home and detail stripped it. I noticed it looked unusually dirty and dry, and there appeared to be metal shavings sprinkled about. I also discovered that the firing pin spacer sleeve had cracked and split, a parts breakage I've never encountered before. I gave the gun a thorough cleaning, replaced the spacer, and installed a new RSA for good measure. Took it back to the range and fired 381 rounds without event. So seems like whatever the problem was has been addressed. Not sure why or even if a broken firing pin spacer sleeve would contribute to a FTF; I suspect that was an unrelated parts breakage to the malfunction? Not sure this is really related to running a compensator or "Roland" either. But thought I'd post the observations as I had previously commented on reliability (which obviously jinxed the gun).

UNK
09-06-2020, 09:17 PM
Heres another article comparing comp recoil reduction on different comps. I thought it was a pretty thorough test.

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/2018-king-pistol-comps-glock-compensator-review/

cornstalker
09-07-2020, 07:37 PM
I just got my G48 back from Mag-Na-Port. Shooting it side by side with my G43x with a Victory First barrel and Suarez comp, the comp is more effective. Not sure if the juice was worth the squeeze for porting yet. It does make a small difference. An observation that surprised me was that the flash was less significant with the comp than porting with the same ammo. With the ported barrel and Federal 115 ball, the G48 looked like you were in the cockpit looking at the headers on a top fuel dragster. The comp was much less noticeable. The flash was much less on both with 124 HST standard pressure. I don't know if I would go as far as to say I regret it, but not sure that it was worth the money.

Surprising side issue, the new Ameriglo Trooper sights hit an inch low at 5 and 7 covering the dot with both ammo types tried. Haven't shot further yet as I was just testing the porting, but sight offset should not account for that low of a POI at that range. I am sure it won't be pretty.

Edit to add: The Spartan Operator sights on my G43x are dead on.

Duke
09-07-2020, 07:40 PM
Tootie fruity barrels shoot flat

Rex G
09-08-2020, 10:31 AM
I have a KKM mini-comp and barrel, which I plan to try on a Gen4 G19, probably along with a weighted grip plug, to see if I can continue to use a G19 right-handed. My right thumb and wrist have not aged well; a G19 grip does not reach the “heel bone” of my hand, which seems to be necessary to provide the stability my right hand now needs. Perhaps a comp, or porting, can provide enough relief.

I also bought a pre-owned Gen3 G17C, to see how it compares.

Now, to try to accumulate enough 9mm ammo to vet these set-ups. (Actually, with training curtailed, due to the COVID emergency, all Glock shooting has been suspended, anyway.)

HCM
09-08-2020, 11:25 AM
I have a KKM mini-comp and barrel, which I plan to try on a Gen4 G19, probably along with a weighted grip plug, to see if I can continue to use a G19 right-handed. My right thumb and wrist have not aged well; a G19 grip does not reach the “heel bone” of my hand, which seems to be necessary to provide the stability my right hand now needs. Perhaps a comp, or porting, can provide enough relief.

I also bought a pre-owned Gen3 G17C, to see how it compares.

Now, to try to accumulate enough 9mm ammo to vet these set-ups. (Actually, with training curtailed, due to the COVID emergency, all Glock shooting has been suspended, anyway.)

Is your G19 grip issue the gap at the top of the grip under the tang or at the bottom of the backstrap ?

If the former, you may want to try a Grip Force Adaptor. The GFA (as opposed to a cut down Glock backstrap) fills in the gap under the tang making the Glock grip more "vertica;" / 1911 like. The G19 has a more pronounced "hump" on the lower part of the grip making the corresponding gap above it more pronounced.

Caballoflaco
09-08-2020, 11:36 AM
Is your G19 grip issue the gap at the top of the grip under the tang or at the bottom of the backstrap ?

If the former, you may want to try a Grip Force Adaptor. The GFA (as opposed to a cut down Glock backstrap) fills in the gap under the tang making the Glock grip more "vertica;" / 1911 like. The G19 has a more pronounced "hump" on the lower part of the grip making the corresponding gap above it more pronounced.

If it’s the latter having a g17 grip cut to take 19 length mags but leaving the back-strap 26 style and a little bit longer might provide better support, but still be noticeably more concealable than a 17. At least it is for me.

Rex G
09-08-2020, 01:29 PM

Thanks. I will look into this GFA. There are multiple factors at play, I reckon, so everything is worth consideration. If a GFA increases L.O.P., such that I cannot get enough finger on the trigger, however, it would probably not work. I have long hands, but do not have long fingers. I use none of the adapters that are packaged with Gen4 or Gen5 Glocks.

It seems that any weapon, with a grip too short to reach the “heel bone” of my hand, is problematic. A square-butt profile is also desirable. An SP101 factory grip reaches just far enough, whereas a G19 does not. A G17-length grip reaches plenty far enough. This makes “mechanical” sense, to me, as it would reduce the tendency of a weapon to use the web area of my thumb as a pivot point, and would better let both of my forearm bones, more-directly transmit recoil up the forearm, rather than most of the force being transmitted via the radius bone, alone.

The good thing is, I can conceal a G17 about as well as a G19, anyway. A G19 clears a holster a bit quicker, and, I have a G19x. So, I have no need to keep my G19 pistols around, unless I want to give them to my son or grandsons, so, this project is totally optional.

Lon
09-08-2020, 03:59 PM
Thanks. I will look into this GFA. There are multiple factors at play, I reckon, so everything is worth consideration. If a GFA increases L.O.P., such that I cannot get enough finger on the trigger, however, it would probably not work. I have long hands, but do not have long fingers. I use none of the adapters that are packaged with Gen4 or Gen5 Glocks.

It seems that any weapon, with a grip too short to reach the “heel bone” of my hand, is problematic. A square-butt profile is also desirable. An SP101 factory grip reaches just far enough, whereas a G19 does not. A G17-length grip reaches plenty far enough. This makes “mechanical” sense, to me, as it would reduce the tendency of a weapon to use the web area of my thumb as a pivot point, and would better let both of my forearm bones, more-directly transmit recoil up the forearm, rather than most of the force being transmitted via the radius bone, alone.

The good thing is, I can conceal a G17 about as well as a G19, anyway. A G19 clears a holster a bit quicker, and, I have a G19x. So, I have no need to keep my G19 pistols around, unless I want to give them to my son or grandsons, so, this project is totally optional.

I have Gen 3 GFAs you can have. PM me if you want them.

GJM
09-08-2020, 04:15 PM
I have a ported Core inbound from Duke. Will experiment with porting and if it turns out not to be my thing, will stick a non ported barrel in and carry on.

Rex G
09-08-2020, 04:37 PM
I have Gen 3 GFAs you can have. PM me if you want them.

Thanks, but I think I have one, that was part of a Brownells order. I included it, in the order, for a colleague, so he could try it on a Glock, but it never happened. My only remaining Gen3 Glock, however, was much-altered by Robar, so, it may not work. So, I would need to try a Gen4 GFA.

Thanks, anyway. :)

Lon
09-08-2020, 05:33 PM
Thanks, but I think I have one, that was part of a Brownells order. I included it, in the order, for a colleague, so he could try it on a Glock, but it never happened. My only remaining Gen3 Glock, however, was much-altered by Robar, so, it may not work. So, I would need to try a Gen4 GFA.

Thanks, anyway. :)

Just looked again. It says it’ll work on Gen 4s. If that changes anything let me know otherwise it’ll go to a karma thread eventually.

Duke
09-08-2020, 06:58 PM
Roland vs Ports is samish

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-comments&lc=UgzZ89apDSZLBprZX7p4AaABAg&v=6oWijWPaW_s

Duke
09-10-2020, 07:34 AM
Most of this is the X300 lighting up the smoke

Wife says she didn’t see it as that bright

mmc45414
09-14-2020, 03:39 PM
I have a ported Core inbound from Duke.
Yeah, last payday I went to go look at that ad... SOLD! :cool:

Will experiment with porting and if it turns out not to be my thing, will stick a non ported barrel in and carry on.
Yeah, I was thinking the Apex barrel would be Plan B if I decided I didn't like it.