PDA

View Full Version : HK VP9 or VP9L with SRO

wesshipman
08-20-2020, 10:09 AM
Anyone have a VP9 or VP9L milled or an OR model with a Trijicon SRO?

I currently have an RMR and I am leaning towards an SRO but afraid it might be too far forward.

Bolt_Overide
08-20-2020, 02:04 PM
cant speak to milled, but OR does not appear to be good. Sat it on there, never fired. Running holosun, very happy with it.

wesshipman
08-20-2020, 04:24 PM
cant speak to milled, but OR does not appear to be good. Sat it on there, never fired. Running holosun, very happy with it.

Yea I'm currently running an RMR on my milled VP9L but considering running an SRO on a factory VP9L OR

Archer1440
08-25-2020, 09:58 PM
I threw an SRO 2.5 onto my compensated and magwell equipped VP9 OR “game gun” today. It sighted in with NO adjustment needed at 25 yards, with my normal 147 grain CCI Lawman FP training rounds, which was quite remarkable (and similar to my experience with 3 RMR’s on three other VP9 OR’s). It seems that out of the box, the RMR and the SRO are both very close to zeroed on the HK OR plates.

I was concerned about trying this because the front lip of the SRO is awfully close to the back of the ejector port.

After 400 rounds, there are a few brass marks on the optic, nothing on the lens, and a few brass marks on the top of the locking block. I’ve never seen this with an RMR, particularly the brass marks on the barrel hood.

Obviously the SRO optic body is doing some deflection of brass onto the top of the pistol, on occasion.

Still, zero issues after 200 rounds of CCI Lawman 147, and 200 rounds of CCI 115 training ammo (white box).

But I sure will be keeping an eye on this. If no issues develop, I’m considering running it for part of a week-long class coming up this fall.

Vg247
08-26-2020, 02:08 AM
Yea I'm currently running an RMR on my milled VP9L but considering running an SRO on a factory VP9L OR

very nice setup...do the iron sights clear the optic and front sight post to be useable? Looks like like they barely do from your photo.

Archer1440
08-26-2020, 07:40 AM
For those looking for an image of the SRO on the VP9 OR:

The group was offhand, 25 yards, 147 grain CCI Lawman TMJ-FP, right after mounting, with no adjustments.

wesshipman
08-26-2020, 05:49 PM
How many rounds you have through it set up with the SRO?

Any malfunctions or issues?

For those looking for an image of the SRO on the VP9 OR:

The group was offhand, 25 yards, 147 grain CCI Lawman TMJ-FP, right after mounting, with no adjustments.

Archer1440
08-26-2020, 07:23 PM
How many rounds you have through it set up with the SRO?

Any malfunctions or issues?

Total of 400, 200 CCI 115 ball and 200 147 Lawman TMJ-FP. No malfunctions or other issues except some brass marks in unusual places, as noted above.

I will report back after 1000 rounds.

Archer1440
09-03-2020, 10:23 PM
1000 rounds in and no issues. So, went ahead with SRO install on the newest items as well. Optics ready VP9-L’s. They run nicely, too.

Archer1440
09-07-2020, 09:59 PM
Just a follow up- 1600 rounds through the VP9 with SRO after a Gunsite range day. Zero issues (except a couple false dots in the SRO window with the sun overhead).

GJM
09-07-2020, 10:24 PM
Just a follow up- 1600 rounds through the VP9 with SRO after a Gunsite range day. Zero issues (except a couple false dots in the SRO window with the sun overhead).

In my experience, the SRO is better than the RMR and DP Pro in this regard, but you can still get two dots, especially in a low forward sun angle. DP Pro and RMR can have multiple dots, where the Acro has two like the SRO. The best optic for this is the Sig Romeo 3 Max.

Archer1440
09-07-2020, 10:42 PM
I handed it to one of the instructors to explain why I had just miked a 25 yard target after pretty good results earlier. He actually noted four dots in total, I was seeing two extra dots that looked identical to the actual dot, to the left and right.

It got me so paranoid that I caught myself checking the iron sight alignment just to be sure.

Oddly the sun was overhead- I’ve only seen this with an RMR when sun is low on the horizon, and have never been confused by that false dot because it looks quite different. But this is why we train, right?

GJM
09-07-2020, 11:14 PM
I handed it to one of the instructors to explain why I had just miked a 25 yard target after pretty good results earlier. He actually noted four dots in total, I was seeing two extra dots that looked identical to the actual dot, to the left and right.

It got me so paranoid that I caught myself checking the iron sight alignment just to be sure.

Oddly the sun was overhead- I’ve only seen this with an RMR when sun is low on the horizon, and have never been confused by that false dot because it looks quite different. But this is why we train, right?

It reinforces index and target focus — because if both those are working, the right dot will be on the spot on the target.

Archer1440
09-07-2020, 11:16 PM
It reinforces index and target focus — because if both those are working, the right dot will be on the spot on the target.

Quite right, but one does NOT need that “feature” under time pressure. Especially if Walt is running the range.

GJM
09-07-2020, 11:20 PM
Quite right, but one does NOT need that “feature” under time pressure. Especially if Walt is running the range.

Oh yeah, it sucks. Once at a match on the first stage in the morning, I was aiming at a mini popper and the one two feet to the right fell over at my shot. That is one of the reasons my wife uses the Romeo 3 Max — only one dot in every light condition we have tried.

Archer1440
09-07-2020, 11:52 PM
Oh yeah, it sucks. Once at a match on the first stage in the morning, I was aiming at a mini popper and the one two feet to the right fell over at my shot. That is one of the reasons my wife uses the Romeo 3 Max — only one dot in every light condition we have tried.

Well, clearly she is better than either of us to be sure. Hope to see both of you at the next GAS.

JHC
09-08-2020, 06:44 AM
TopShotDustin

Seemed like a fit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE2lxG9ppvQ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Street Survival
10-05-2020, 06:30 PM
Sir, would you recommend an SRO for a carry weapon, and if so what size dot. (60yrs old here with progressive lens) Totally new to the red dot scene. Thank You for your sage advice.

Archer1440
10-09-2020, 08:40 PM
I’m not GJM and don’t nearly have his credentials, but I can tell you that the SRO on my VP9-L ran flawlessly in every condition during my just-completed Gunsite 499 class, as well as another training class and a competition the week before. I ran the 1 MOA version in the class, and it is more or less indistinguishable from my 2.5 MOA SRO’s on the other VP9-L’s I run regularly, when run in bright sunshine.

Completely reliable for this sort of hard use- but I never dropped the weapon.

While I carry RMR’s, my confidence in the SRO as a carry option has increased greatly after a lengthy series of training classes and competitions.

But, it is certainly more vulnerable to abuse than an RMR Type 2.

Erick Gelhaus
10-10-2020, 09:50 AM
... but I can tell you that the SRO on my VP9-L ran flawlessly in every condition during my just-completed Gunsite 499 class,

Scrolling P-F this morning and saw the thread title. I was going to mention seeing a VP-9L with an SRO all week, but I don't need to. You put in solid work this week; nicely done!

Archer1440
10-11-2020, 09:37 AM
Scrolling P-F this morning and saw the thread title. I was going to mention seeing a VP-9L with an SRO all week, but I don't need to. You put in solid work this week; nicely done!

I can’t thank you enough for your personal RDS coaching all week, which was above and beyond the normal 499 curriculum. I really feel I got a hell of a bonus in terms of training with a pistol mounted optic thanks to your extra effort to work with me and the other shooter running an RDS, particularly in terms of understanding your methods to get rounds on target if the thing ever goes down, along with all the other exercises designed to help pick up the dot faster.

By the end of the week, I can say I found the dot on presentation every single time, including during my passes in the shoot-off, which was a “test of fire” for that. Any shortcomings I had in the effort are totally on me.

(And I WILL continue to work on tracking the target straight to the ground as I continue to train!!)

GJM
10-11-2020, 09:43 AM
Sir, would you recommend an SRO for a carry weapon, and if so what size dot. (60yrs old here with progressive lens) Totally new to the red dot scene. Thank You for your sage advice.

I am trying to figure that out myself, by testing a 5 moa SRO on a M&P. Auto doesn’t work well enough on the SRO for me, so that means manual mode to set intensity. I haven’t broken a SRO in well over a year of competitive shooting, although I haven’t dropped one on large rocks. I really like the SRO display size, which makes acquiring the dot easier in weird positions, and BUIS are less obtrusive.

JSGlock34
10-11-2020, 10:18 AM
There's always the Jagerwerks BROS to try to protect the SRO.
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-qm1pm/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/234/997/BRO_0041__96913.1596466142.jpg?c=2

Street Survival
10-11-2020, 04:28 PM
Thank You for your response, I really appreciate it.

CMB
12-26-2020, 08:57 AM

Looks like there's a half inch or so of space that the SRO could've moved back if the plate would allow?

Balisong
01-02-2021, 03:24 AM
I'm considering acquiring a VP9. I think I eventually want a RDS too, is the OR system for the VP9 considered GTG for carry/defensive use? Or should I stick with standard and get it milled when I'm ready?

CMB
01-05-2021, 07:28 AM
1000 rounds in and no issues. So, went ahead with SRO install on the newest items as well. Optics ready VP9-L’s. They run nicely, too.

I can't believe the gap at the rear of the SRO and rear site:confused: The beating the SRO takes would certainly be reduced if not eliminated, if the SRO could be mounted further back where it belongs.

Archer1440
01-05-2021, 02:11 PM
I can't believe the gap at the rear of the SRO and rear site:confused: The beating the SRO takes would certainly be reduced if not eliminated, if the SRO could be mounted further back where it belongs.

The H&K plate has full underlugs for the SRO and RMR, so the distance to the rear sight is immaterial. In fact, contact with the rear sight might well transfer extra and excess forces to the optic, not to mention the effect on the sight dovetail.

CMB
01-05-2021, 02:49 PM
The H&K plate has full underlugs for the SRO and RMR, so the distance to the rear sight is immaterial. In fact, contact with the rear sight might well transfer extra and excess forces to the optic, not to mention the effect on the sight dovetail.

Not to be hard-headed but I see a bunch of reflex sites mounted quite a bit further back (not up against the site-ramp) without these negative affects. There was nothing said by me about mounting the SRO "contacting" the rear site. The SRO mounted so close to the the ejection port is certainly not immaterial.

Archer1440
01-06-2021, 03:59 AM
The SRO mounted so close to the the ejection port is certainly not immaterial.

No, it’s immaterial, at least on the VP9L. Five thousand two hundred rounds on one particular pistol as of earlier this evening, one third in training classes with hard use. Zero malfunctions, and the SRO is pristine.

I’ve seen a sig x5 choke with this configuration, trapping a piece of brass between the port and optic, but not a vp9.

CMB
01-06-2021, 04:52 AM
No, it’s immaterial, at least on the VP9L. Five thousand two hundred rounds on one particular pistol as of earlier this evening, one third in training classes with hard use. Zero malfunctions, and the SRO is pristine.

I’ve seen a sig x5 choke with this configuration, trapping a piece of brass between the port and optic, but not a vp9.

Well, good, I'm glad to be wrong....again! Married to my dear Bride for 47 years, so it's nothing new! My apologies Sir. I've been reading everything I can find about the SRO. I have a 510 Holosun in green on my Ruger PC-9 and their 507 or 508 would be my next option, if I was staying with Holosun. My pistol isn't "available" to me yet but might I ask what grain- weight ammo did you use for break-in? It might've been the same You-Tube guy who said his SRO gets clipped by brass and said HK want's 147 grain ammo used for break-in:confused: I've watched so many, they're all running together! I also have the XS Sights work-order form printed out for a pair of their Suppressor sights installation.

Archer1440
01-06-2021, 09:45 AM
Well, good, I'm glad to be wrong....again! Married to my dear Bride for 47 years, so it's nothing new! My apologies Sir. I've been reading everything I can find about the SRO. I have a 510 Holosun in green on my Ruger PC-9 and their 507 or 508 would be my next option, if I was staying with Holosun. My pistol isn't "available" to me yet but might I ask what grain- weight ammo did you use for break-in? It might've been the same You-Tube guy who said his SRO gets clipped by brass and said HK want's 147 grain ammo used for break-in:confused: I've watched so many, they're all running together! I also have the XS Sights work-order form printed out for a pair of their Suppressor sights installation.

I didn’t do a “break in” per se, just shot the thing. I’ve run everything from 115 grain CCI “training ammo” to WIN NATO 124, S&B 124, Remington 124, CCI Lawman 147, Federal HST 147 (which prints similar to the flat nose Lawman 147 at 25 yards) and Federal Syntech 150, as well as a fair bit of Remington sintered frangible when required inside a shoot house. None of these have caused any issues.

Brass all goes out with consistency and quite briskly, too.

CMB
01-06-2021, 02:43 PM
Brass all goes out with consistency and quite briskly, too.

Without obliterating the SRO lens!

J0hnny
01-06-2021, 03:29 PM
Apologies for thread drift, does anyone know where I can get a VP9 optic plate #2 for RMR? Mothership says “maybe” by end of January

Archer1440
01-06-2021, 03:49 PM
Without obliterating the SRO lens!

Judge for yourself. I’m done here.

CMB
01-06-2021, 03:55 PM
Judge for yourself. I’m done here.

Don't be done! You have the sight I'm after on the pistol I bought!:eek: How do you find the SRO's buttons to press? I have weakened hands from surgeries and would like your opinion.

CMB
01-06-2021, 04:01 PM
Apologies for thread drift, does anyone know where I can get a VP9 optic plate #2 for RMR? Mothership says “maybe” by end of January

All we can do is get on every website we can and leave our e-mail addresses on the, "Notify Me When In Stock" option. I must have 10-12 "Notify Me's":cool: C&H builds plates for our HK's too, they're more money but also have a great rep as being quality parts.

Balisong
01-06-2021, 04:18 PM

Is the VP9 OR system considered solid enough on here for defense/duty use now that it's been out a while?

jeep45238
01-06-2021, 10:07 PM

CHPWS makes a great plate as well. More spendy than HK, but available, solid, and slightly lower mounting.

jeep45238
01-06-2021, 10:08 PM
Is the VP9 OR system considered solid enough on here for defense/duty use now that it's been out a while?

Everything I've seen points to yes - Walther, then HK for factory plate systems by OEM.

Balisong
01-06-2021, 11:36 PM
Everything I've seen points to yes - Walther, then HK for factory plate systems by OEM.

Thank you!

CMB
01-07-2021, 04:34 AM
CHPWS makes a great plate as well. More spendy than HK, but available, solid, and slightly lower mounting.

I had to make sure first but CHPWS is the same vendor as C&H I mentioned a couple posts back.