PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Slides For Carry

JWH
08-19-2020, 12:32 PM
What are people’s thoughts on using aftermarket slides for putting an RDS on a carry gun? Are there preferred brands? Any specific caveats? My question is motivated by comparing a $100 mill job to a $200 Brownells slide and not having to deal with shipping, lead times, etc.

Thanks

Lon
08-19-2020, 12:47 PM
Brownells slide for the win.

theJanitor
08-19-2020, 01:38 PM
I've got both (Jagerwerks, UNITY). The benefit to the milled slide is that you don't need to vet it's operation. If it worked before, it'll work after milling too. Jager turnaround was 10 days, door to door.

DaBigBR
08-19-2020, 06:27 PM
What are people’s thoughts on using aftermarket slides for putting an RDS on a carry gun? Are there preferred brands? Any specific caveats? My question is motivated by comparing a $100 mill job to a $200 Brownells slide and not having to deal with shipping, lead times, etc.

Thanks

Not to mention being able to return the gun to factory condition in a couple minutes AND being able to resell the aftermarket slide more easily. I don't think it's a bad plan at all.

YVK
08-20-2020, 08:17 AM
I had mentioned this before, I had a bad luck with Brownells G43 slide. Sample size of one and all, of course.

LittleLebowski
08-20-2020, 08:51 AM
I had mentioned this before, I had a bad luck with Brownells G43 slide. Sample size of one and all, of course.

Did they make it right?

YVK
08-20-2020, 09:14 AM
Did they make it right?

I returned it and they issued a refund.

GJM
08-20-2020, 10:17 AM
For $151 including return shipping and cerakote refinishing, Primary Machine will mill your Glock slide for the RMR/SRO/Holosun (or other) footprint. That seems an excellent value with the highest likelihood of having the good outcome of a reliable pistol.

Up1911Fan
08-20-2020, 11:22 AM
For $151 including return shipping and cerakote refinishing, Primary Machine will mill your Glock slide for the RMR/SRO/Holosun (or other) footprint. That seems an excellent value with the highest likelihood of having the good outcome of a reliable pistol.

This. C&H is milling one of my slides today for about the same price.

HCM
08-20-2020, 12:42 PM
I've got both (Jagerwerks, UNITY). The benefit to the milled slide is that you don't need to vet it's operation. If it worked before, it'll work after milling too. Jager turnaround was 10 days, door to door.

Sorry, I’m glad you had good experiences with milling but you absolutely need to vet slides after being sent out for milling as well as after mounting optics.

theJanitor
08-20-2020, 01:07 PM
Sorry, I’m glad you had good experiences with milling but you absolutely need to vet slides after being sent out for milling as well as after mounting optics.

Of course you are correct, but not the same vetting process as you would perform after replacing half the gun. I've had Jagerwerks do two, and my best friend had them do two as well. Zero function issues.

Darth_Uno
08-20-2020, 04:30 PM
I prefer a milled pocket vs MOS. My current favorite gun is a 19 with Faxon slide. I've owned several Suarez slides with no issues. Also owned or currently own KE Arms and Grey Ghost.

In short, you're fine unless you get a no-name slide off Ebay.

TAZ
08-20-2020, 09:40 PM
Sample of 1, but I took advantage of a Brownells sale and bought a slide for my G19 MOS. I’ve got maybe 5-600 rounds through it without a hitch. I’ve run cheap range ammo, Gold Dots and HST through it. But again it’s a sample of 1.

RancidSumo
02-02-2021, 01:20 PM
Reviving this in case anyone else is also interested. I recently decided to go with an aftermarket slide instead of having a slide milled for my carry gun. Currently carrying my MOS until this is fully vetted, but after ~500 rounds last month, so far so good. Only slightly more expensive that milling a regular slide or getting a MOS gun + plate, and it works with standard height sights.

Whirlwind06
02-02-2021, 03:20 PM
Where did you get the slide from?
I bought a Lone Wolff G19 slide with the RMR cut last year and it's been running fine.

HeavyDuty
02-02-2021, 03:21 PM
Reviving this in case anyone else is also interested. I recently decided to go with an aftermarket slide instead of having a slide milled for my carry gun. Currently carrying my MOS until this is fully vetted, but after ~500 rounds last month, so far so good. Only slightly more expensive that milling a regular slide or getting a MOS gun + plate, and it works with standard height sights.

Wait, what - standard height sights with an RMR? Which slide is this?

RancidSumo
02-02-2021, 03:32 PM
Wait, what - standard height sights with an RMR? Which slide is this?

Zev Z19 Duty (Gen 5). https://www.zevtechnologies.com/ZEV-Z19-Duty-Stripped-Slide-with-RMR-Cut-5th-Gen-Black

The sights pictured are really more of an almost standard height (.245 front, can't remember the rear height). Definitely much shorter than the sights on my MOS. I think these are about perfect, but I think you could get away with true factory height sights too.

HeavyDuty
02-02-2021, 03:40 PM
Zev Z19 Duty (Gen 5). https://www.zevtechnologies.com/ZEV-Z19-Duty-Stripped-Slide-with-RMR-Cut-5th-Gen-Black

The sights pictured are really more of an almost standard height (.245 front, can't remember the rear height). Definitely much shorter than the sights on my MOS. I think these are about perfect, but I think you could get away with true factory height sights too.

They are similar in height to the XS Minimalists I have on my 43X MOS. Normalish is how I describe them.

RancidSumo
02-02-2021, 04:08 PM
They are similar in height to the XS Minilmalists I have on my 43X MOS. Normalish is how I describe them.

I just held up a spare Ameriglo Agent sight I have to the sight. Its definitely a fair amount shorter. I think you could still just barely use it, but it would be slow. Don't know that it would be a great idea - probably best to just stick with the normalish sights on this slide.