PDA

View Full Version : Trump pardons Susan B Anthony

LittleLebowski
08-18-2020, 08:59 AM
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-susan-b-anthony-to-get-posthumous-pardon

President Trump announced Tuesday morning he will give a posthumous pardon to Susan B. Anthony, one of history's biggest figures in the women's suffrage movement.

The announcement came 100 years to the day after the 1920 ratification of the 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote.

Anthony, who died in 1906, had been arrested in 1872 for violating laws that had permitted only men to vote.

pooty
08-18-2020, 10:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0TgCgdvJ2c

Seven_Sicks_Two
08-18-2020, 11:09 AM
Trump had said he was going to pardon someone, "very, very important." There was some speculation that it could be Flynn, someone else connected to Russiagate, or even Snowden.

What we got was a posthumous pardon for Susan B Anthony.

ralph
08-18-2020, 12:19 PM
Trump had said he was going to pardon someone, "very, very important." There was some speculation that it could be Flynn, someone else connected to Russiagate, or even Snowden.

What we got was a posthumous pardon for Susan B Anthony.

Well, if he had pardoned Flynn, the media would’ve blown up, and the “Orange man bad” narrative would’ve went into hyper-drive.. There isn’t much they can do or say about this, however, I’m sure they’ll come up with something...

critter
08-18-2020, 12:30 PM
Well, if he had pardoned Flynn, the media would’ve blown up, and the “Orange man bad” narrative would’ve went into hyper-drive.. There isn’t much they can do or say about this, however, I’m sure they’ll come up with something...

It's totally sexist for Trump to presume that Susan B. Anthony needed or wanted a pardon. She was so strong and brave that she would have pardoned herself had she actually wanted one.

Seven_Sicks_Two
08-18-2020, 12:50 PM

I agreed completely about the media meltdown regarding Flynn. I just don't see how pardoning Susan B Anthony is going to attract votes. As a symbolic celebration of the 19th Amendment? Sure. But why hype it as a big, important pardon?

critter
08-18-2020, 01:11 PM
I agreed completely about the media meltdown regarding Flynn. I just don't see how pardoning Susan B Anthony is going to attract votes. As a symbolic celebration of the 19th Amendment? Sure. But why hype it as a big, important pardon?

Politics is perception. Or perhaps, as G.W. would say, "Strategery!"

A couple of things. Anthony's crime was "illegal voting." Which is a current topic. It lends may lend a positive perception to women who are on the fence about Trump's alleged sexism and perhaps take some wind out of the sails for the sexist narrative -- to those who are not already suffering terminal TDS. Simply a calculated political move and something which could have been done, as a political move, decades ago. Many will be disgruntled that he did it -- and they didn't think of it.

There's no way in hell Trump issues a meaningful pardon prior to a second term.

Borderland
08-18-2020, 01:34 PM
Trumps handlers had to dig deep to come up with that one. I hope they didn't spend a lot of time on it.

I bet Flynn is really disappointed. :(

Guerrero
08-18-2020, 01:38 PM
I'm sure there's something racist about this whole thing; I just haven't found it yet.

NEPAKevin
08-18-2020, 01:42 PM
I'm sure there's something racist about this whole thing; I just haven't found it yet.

Maybe that Trump would rather pardon a dead white person... ? FWIW, Chrystal Mason was trending on Twitter this morning.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-18-2020, 01:59 PM
Martha Stewart is available. Would a pardon removed her felony status and restore her gun rights? Or was she convicted on the local level and not pardonable by DJT? This is a serious!

Shoresy
08-18-2020, 02:02 PM

NYT is “problematizing” the pardon on the basis that Anthony (allegedly) sidelined black suffragettes. :rolleyes:

Guerrero
08-18-2020, 02:04 PM
NYT is “problematizing” the pardon on the basis that Anthony (allegedly) sidelined black suffragettes. :rolleyes:

I KNEW IT!!1!!one!!11!!!eleven!!!

Glenn E. Meyer
08-18-2020, 02:12 PM
Consider this that Anthony was on a one dollar coin. Trump will probably be on one. Melania will be on a gold coin.

Collect them all!

the Schwartz
08-18-2020, 02:13 PM
Martha Stewart is available. Would a pardon removed her felony status and restore her gun rights? Or was she convicted on the local level and not pardonable by DJT? This is a serious!

Sometimes, Glenn, you say the funniest damned shit and I end up laughing on days like today when I didn't think laughter was a possibility. Thanks, man! :cool:

critter
08-18-2020, 02:18 PM
I bet Flynn is really disappointed. :(

Personally, I don't want Flynn to receive a pardon. I want that idiot judge to cease and desist his obstruction of actual justice and dismiss the damn charges. THEN I want government approval for Flynn to sue the FBI.. as well as (and especially) the specific individuals involved. I don't want that case to settle. I want there to be a full civil trial with full public discovery. Of course THAT will never happen but full restitution is owed. All IMHO of course.

Borderland
08-18-2020, 02:37 PM

Federal grand jury in Manhattan indicted Stewart. Blues probably had something to do with sending that poor woman to prison. :D

Lester Polfus
08-18-2020, 03:04 PM
Well that will clearly make all those uppity broads vote for him...

Glenn E. Meyer
08-18-2020, 03:44 PM
About being funny, I had a friend in grad school that was truly funny. However, he couldn't do graduate stats worth a damn. So after two years, he took a terminal masters degree (that is when you are in doctoral program, you pass your courses but you're not chose to go on.

He gets the degree and move to Los Angeles and gets a job as a probation officer dealing with juvenile delinquent (in those days) teen age girls. He and another officer find out that the boss is screwing them in return for him doing them favors. They report it. They get fired (surprise). So what to do, his neighbor turns out to the guy who played Mr. Carlin on the old Bob Newhart show (one of Bob's patients). He tell my buddy that since is so funny, write some jokes and he will pass them around. He does and my buddy gets a job writing for Johnny Carson at $2000 a week, then up to $4000 after a period of time. Gets nominated for an Emmy. Visits me in Oregon in his brand new Lexus.

When I taught stat, and pontificated about research design, I also mentioned my friend and I got A's in stat and could do the t-test. But who got the better deal? $4000 a week in 1972?

Funny at the gun match. My squad had lot of LEOs in it. One guy is talking about someone he arrested with a great rear end, just wearing almost nothing. Another asks did you get her number, I would like it. So I interject - Hey, you forgot your momma's number. Took a bit to get to the next shooter! High fives for that.

45dotACP
08-18-2020, 03:49 PM
Well, if he had pardoned Flynn, the media would’ve blown up, and the “Orange man bad” narrative would’ve went into hyper-drive.. There isn’t much they can do or say about this, however, I’m sure they’ll come up with something...It means he's cool with voter fraud and illegally influencing the election! Collusion!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

JodyH
08-18-2020, 04:43 PM
I love it.
Perfect example of Trump's 4D Twitter chess.

Trump Tweets about pardoning a very important person.
Media, Democrats, never-Trumpers and Supporters all go into a 24 hour frenzy speculating and naming names of people who in all reality should be pardoned because they are basically political prisoners.
Trump drops a big nothing burger by pardoning someone who died 100 years ago but the optics of the pardon are good to neutral.

Basically Trump got the entire establishment to talk about the people that have been fucked over for the past 20 years.
His vague Tweet had the pundits dragging old skeletons out of the closet and displaying them for all to see for an entire 24 hour news cycle.

If you actually think this has anything to do with Susan B. Anthony... you got played as well.
That tweet was about Assange, Snowden, Flynn (and others).

Borderland
08-18-2020, 06:02 PM
I love it.
Perfect example of Trump's 4D Twitter chess.

Trump Tweets about pardoning a very important person.
Media, Democrats, never-Trumpers and Supporters all go into a 24 hour frenzy speculating and naming names of people who in all reality should be pardoned because they are basically political prisoners.
Trump drops a big nothing burger by pardoning someone who died 100 years ago but the optics of the pardon are good to neutral.

Basically Trump got the entire establishment to talk about the people that have been fucked over for the past 20 years.
His vague Tweet had the pundits dragging old skeletons out of the closet and displaying them for all to see for an entire 24 hour news cycle.

If you actually think this has anything to do with Susan B. Anthony... you got played as well.
That tweet was about Assange, Snowden, Flynn (and others).

They'll never learn. Trumps a master baiter.

blues
08-18-2020, 06:08 PM

"Pardon? I don't need no steenkin' pardon!"

UNK
08-18-2020, 06:29 PM
It's totally sexist for Trump to presume that Susan B. Anthony needed or wanted a pardon. She was so strong and brave that she would have pardoned herself had she actually wanted one.

Is she the mother to Chuck Norris?

ccmdfd
08-19-2020, 07:34 AM
If it weren't for this form, and thread, I wouldn't know anything about this topic.

The MSM places I visit haven't mentioned it at all. They're too busy talking about how great, awesome Michelle's speeches were and how wonderful a woman she is as well as all the fun at the post office.

UNK
08-19-2020, 12:18 PM
If it weren't for this form, and thread, I wouldn't know anything about this topic.

The MSM places I visit haven't mentioned it at all. They're too busy talking about how great, awesome Michelle's speeches were and how wonderful a woman she is as well as all the fun at the post office.

You watch MSM??!! 😂😂😂