PDA

View Full Version : Trying hard to be a good neighbor

YVK
08-17-2020, 12:28 AM
This just came up on a local neighborhood feed web board. I edited out location and names, just not to be a complete ass.

Public svc announcement. cougar alert. (https://nextdoor.com/news_feed/?post=158219834)Hello Neighbors, my sons and I usually hit the mtb trail early in the mornings. For the past few days we’ve been noticing a putrid smell at canyon bridge. Because we’ve noticed deification in this area of late we were concerned a person experiencing homelessness might have been in the area due to covid and had a mishap/passed away. Sheriffs and the Forrerst Service searched the area and found a partially consumed cougar kill about 100 yards from the bridge up the mountain.Basically, we have an adult mountain lion in the area. So if you are biking, hiking or walking your dog in the area, be aware and try not to recreate alone early in the morning or in the evening. It’s awesome to have these creatures in our midsts. Let’s all work together to be sure no one gets hurt, including the cougar.
P

Thanks for the don’t kill the cougar comment. They were here first.
4 hr ago

Would asking for a caliber preference for cougar be a bad thing to do?

beenalongtime
08-17-2020, 01:07 AM

Better to ask,

Which knee do you prefer, as I only need to go faster then you?

rob_s
08-17-2020, 06:35 AM
My neighbor, who feeds the wild bunnies in his yard, informed me that they had seen a cougar/wolf/whatever (I forget which) and to keep an eye out for my pets and kids. I told him it would be fine, I’m sure the 9mm AR I keep loaded for critters would do fine for taking care of it. He was appalled. I told him that if he didn’t want the critter shot, he should stop baiting it by feeding the bunnies.

rob_s
08-17-2020, 06:36 AM

Maybe.

Asking for recipes would almost certainly cross the line, however.

;)

hufnagel
08-17-2020, 06:49 AM
"Is she at least good looking?"
Wait, sorry, wrong cougar.

ST911
08-17-2020, 07:28 AM
My neighbor, who feeds the wild bunnies in his yard, informed me that they had seen a cougar/wolf/whatever (I forget which) and to keep an eye out for my pets and kids. I told him it would be fine, I’m sure the 9mm AR I keep loaded for critters would do fine for taking care of it. He was appalled. I told him that if he didn’t want the critter shot, he should stop baiting it by feeding the bunnies.

9mm works well.

Maybe. Asking for recipes would almost certainly cross the line, however. ;)

Cooks and eats like pork. Watch your moisture as you prepare, don't overcook.

Hambo
08-17-2020, 07:34 AM
My neighbor, who feeds the wild bunnies in his yard, informed me that they had seen a cougar/wolf/whatever

In S. FL...right. I've gotten some of the best bobcat photos sent to me by people proclaiming "a Florida panther was in my yard." Same goes for coyotes mistaken for wolves, and small dogs or raccoons mistaken for coyotes.

Nephrology
08-17-2020, 08:02 AM
Oh god. I read an incredibly similar post on Nextdoor in my own neighborhood (mountain lion seen prowling around golf course!). It included a photo taken by the poster, which very clearly showed a large tabby skulking around on the putting green. It took me a while to stop laughing.

Nephrology
08-17-2020, 08:06 AM
Oh god. I read an incredibly similar post on Nextdoor in my own neighborhood (mountain lion seen prowling around golf course!). It included a photo taken by the poster, which very clearly showed a large tabby skulking around on the putting green. It took me a while to stop laughing.

YES - I found my old screen shots!!

https://i.imgur.com/WgB0V5o.png

https://i.imgur.com/5rLvyYR.jpg

Caballoflaco
08-17-2020, 08:20 AM
In S. FL...right. I've gotten some of the best bobcat photos sent to me by people proclaiming "a Florida panther was in my yard." Same goes for coyotes mistaken for wolves, and small dogs or raccoons mistaken for coyotes.

We had a minor kerfuffle here in central Alabama when some bored housewives thought a snapping turtle was an alligator in the lake at one of the local parks.

Erik
08-17-2020, 08:36 AM
I'm more interested in this deification that's been happening of late.

DC_P
08-17-2020, 08:42 AM
a person experiencing homelessness

Is this the new phrase I have to use to avoid being called a bumist?

blues
08-17-2020, 08:51 AM

I read "defecation" when I first read your post. I suppose it's only natural with all the shitposting going on.

YVK
08-17-2020, 08:51 AM

You know, that whole post was kind of new to me. English is not my strong suit, just read my posts here, so I didn't say anything. I did have to make sure though that deification was what I thought it was, although I still don't know how it belonged there. My auto correct is refusing to transform defecation into anything divine so I am at loss if grammar or else...

blues
08-17-2020, 08:57 AM
You know, that whole post was kind of new to me. English is not my strong suit, just read my posts here, so I didn't say anything. I did have to make sure though that deification was what I thought it was, although I still don't know how it belonged there. My auto correct is refusing to transform defecation into anything divine so I am at loss if grammar or else...

Your grammar is just fine. It's your grandpa I wonder about. ;)

Seriously, I hope you never for a moment second guess the quality or clarity of your posts.

JohnO
08-17-2020, 08:58 AM
Perhaps the nature lovers need 1st hand knowledge of their rank on the food chain?

Doc_Glock
08-17-2020, 09:01 AM

Agreed. WTF is that. Some sort of level up?

YVK
08-17-2020, 09:07 AM
Your grammar is just fine. It's your grandpa I wonder about. ;)

Seriously, I hope you never for a moment second guess the quality or clarity of your posts.

That thing makes my life easier, I am not just not sure what it is called. Self-defecation...self-deification...no, self-deprecation, that's it.

Shoresy
08-17-2020, 09:24 AM
How many Courics before a movement counts as its own deity? Is it possible to reach intermediate demigod status?

blues
08-17-2020, 10:05 AM
How many Courics before a movement counts as its own deity? Is it possible to reach intermediate demigod status?

This deserves its own Couriculum. Is it in the eye of the beholder or are there objective means of divination?

Seven_Sicks_Two
08-17-2020, 11:16 AM
Because we’ve noticed deification in this area of late we were concerned a person experiencing homelessness might have been in the area due to covid and had a mishap/passed away.

The use of "People-first language" in the post is interesting. They don't say, "homeless person", but instead say, "a person experiencing homelessness." It comes off as a little virtue signal-y.

People-first language:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People-first_language

"...a type of linguistic prescription which puts a person before a diagnosis, describing what a person "has" rather than asserting what a person "is." It is intended to avoid marginalization or dehumanization (either consciously or subconsciously) when discussing people with a chronic illness or disability."

rob_s
08-17-2020, 11:27 AM

they can call it the chupacabra if they want. If it looks sideways at my shih tzus or kids, it's getting dusted. :cool:

rob_s
08-17-2020, 11:31 AM
the "experiencing homelessness" PC bullshit really gets to me. In that case, the experience is likely entirely or largely of your own doing.

One little bit of verbal mindgames I am, however, a proponent of is when it comes to handicaps and particularly mental ones. Instead of calling someone "autistic" they should be referred to as a "person with autism".

(yes, for those that know me, rob_s trying to be PC about another human being may be shocking, but mentally handicapped people, particularly children and their parents, are pretty much the only people that not only get a pass in my book but I will also pretty rabidly defend)

YVK
08-17-2020, 01:05 PM
The use of "People-first language" in the post is interesting. They don't say, "homeless person", but instead say, "a person experiencing homelessness." It comes off as a little virtue signal-y.

I didn't pick up virtue signaling as much, mostly because I was wondering why someone would choose to experience homelessness at 5,500 feet of elevation away from food and shelter in 95 degrees weather.

fatdog
08-17-2020, 02:56 PM
We had a minor kerfuffle here in central Alabama when some bored housewives thought a snapping turtle was an alligator in the lake at one of the local parks.

If you are talking about that episode over the pond in Veterans park down on Valleydale Rd. in Hoover, I so wanted to go get one of these (https://www.amazon.com/SPROTW-Floating-Alligator-Decoration-Inches-Also/dp/B07V7SGQMD/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3W58MODP94COI&dchild=1&keywords=floating+alligator+head+for+pond&qid=1597693801&sprefix=floating+aligator+head%2Caps%2C544&sr=8-5) and drop it in one night...but my wife had a fit and I dropped the idea.

Caballoflaco
08-17-2020, 03:14 PM
If you are talking about that episode over the pond in Veterans park down on Valleydale Rd. in Hoover, I so wanted to go get one of these (https://www.amazon.com/SPROTW-Floating-Alligator-Decoration-Inches-Also/dp/B07V7SGQMD/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3W58MODP94COI&dchild=1&keywords=floating+alligator+head+for+pond&qid=1597693801&sprefix=floating+aligator+head%2Caps%2C544&sr=8-5) and drop it in one night...but my wife had a fit and I dropped the idea.

That’s exactly the incident. It too thought about dropping a couple of small dog collars with “chewed through” leashes on the shore, but never got around to it.

fatdog
08-17-2020, 03:39 PM
That’s exactly the incident. It too thought about dropping a couple of small dog collars with “chewed through” leashes on the shore, but never got around to it.

If we had both followed through the Karen's would have had HPD or Shelby SO out there with the SWAT teams....

blues
08-17-2020, 03:41 PM
If we had both followed through the Karen's would have had HPD or Shelby SO out there with the SWAT teams....

https://omigods.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/land-shark-3.jpg

HCM
08-17-2020, 06:44 PM

https://youtu.be/Yh-QWKGbm2Q

Hambo
08-18-2020, 05:33 AM
they can call it the chupacabra if they want. If it looks sideways at my shih tzus or kids, it's getting dusted. :cool:

I call it bold talk for a suburbanite. ;)

Intentionally killing a Florida panther is punishable by up to one year in federal prison and a fine of up to $100,000.

Again, not that I believe unconfirmed (photos/video/tracks) animal sightings, but if it's not a bobcat it better be doing more than looking your direction.

rob_s
08-18-2020, 06:05 AM
I call it bold talk for a suburbanite. ;)

Again, not that I believe unconfirmed (photos/video/tracks) animal sightings, but if it's not a bobcat it better be doing more than looking your direction.

It’s sub-rural-ite, thank you!

And I’d probably give an actual panther a pretty hard pass. Being a Florida native I’ve got over 40 years of being conditioned that they are precious.

Hambo
08-18-2020, 08:22 AM
It’s sub-rural-ite, thank you!

That's a mouthful. How about "Ranchetteer"?

rob_s
08-18-2020, 09:15 AM

Some of my neighbors seem to think they are "homesteading" (which is apparently some sort of trend) by having chickens and goats and little gardens and pretending like we live in the country.

I refer to it as fauxmsteading. ;)

SecondsCount
08-18-2020, 10:11 AM
I've got a coyote problem by me. They took one of my outdoor cats a few weeks back. Being a good neighbor, I got the okay from the farmer to shoot them. He said to shoot all I want, that he had tried to run one down in his truck the week before.

I heard them howling at dusk over the weekend and grabbed the AR, spotted them, but the laser confirmed that they were 402 yards out. It would be a tough shot already, but to add complexity, there is another home 400 yards beyond where they were standing.

Saturday night my dog went nuts at the back door so again I grabbed the AR and went to the upstairs window and lit up the back pasture. I could see what looked to be a coyote heading for the exit as fast as he could. It was too fast for a shot but I went out the next day and you could see where they were laying in a tall section of grass. The dog's nose was reading high levels of coyote as well.

It's time for some counter measures...

YVK
08-18-2020, 11:57 AM
It would be a tough shot already

If you just borrowed some molle webbing and a 60 degrees lever and a G-trigger, you could get those bastards with a sector of fire.

SecondsCount
08-18-2020, 12:04 PM
If you just borrowed some molle webbing and a 60 degrees lever and a G-trigger, you could get those bastards with a sector of fire.

At least we can laugh about it now ;)

willie
08-18-2020, 07:54 PM

People-first language:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People-first_language

Then I must cease saying bum, derelict, drunk, never-do-well, ex convict, asshole, hooligan, and criminal.

MistWolf
08-18-2020, 08:30 PM
The use of "People-first language" in the post is interesting. They don't say, "homeless person", but instead say, "a person experiencing homelessness."

I guess that means we can no longer call LittleLebowski a Jarhead, but must instead address him as a "person recovering from Cray-on bulimia"

willie
08-18-2020, 08:40 PM
I guess that means we can no longer call LittleLebowski a Jarhead, but must instead address him as a "person recovering from Cray-on bulimia"

And LB can no longer refer to Army guys as dogface or doggy.

0ddl0t
08-19-2020, 12:03 AM
I didn't pick up virtue signaling as much, mostly because I was wondering why someone would choose to experience homelessness at 5,500 feet of elevation away from food and shelter in 95 degrees weather.

In my experience the homeless generally don't choose it as much as they ignore their mounting problems until Stein's Law catches up with them and they find themselves unsheltered.

Nephrology
08-19-2020, 07:13 AM
In my experience the homeless generally don't choose it as much as they ignore their mounting problems until Stein's Law catches up with them and they find themselves unsheltered.

....how much interaction have you had with the homeless, exactly?

0ddl0t
08-19-2020, 01:16 PM
....how much interaction have you had with the homeless, exactly?

It is an epidemic here, so a lot - both volunteering for things like PIT counts & greenbelt clean-ups and commercially (many of my rental units are the last stop before homelessness plus I've also hired a lot of homeless for manual labor).

As some anecdata, here are the choices that led to my last three evictions (all of which resulted in at least temporary homelessness):

Tenant 1: Mid 20s male, college drop out working the cash register for a big box store. Massive overspender. E.g. on minimum wage he somehow convinced a shady buy here pay here place to sell him a heavily modified 5 year old F150 with 200k+ miles. It started rod knocking soon after and he parked it for over a year. Big tvs, every gaming console, nice clothes, frequent big nights at bars, etc. He & his girlfriend would constantly fight about money until she finally left. Then he lost his job (I found out later that he had been fired for stealing). I offered him $20/hr tearing out carpets and repainting another unit, but he showed up late, dragged ass, and left early. After being evicted he lived in his truck for a few weeks before it got towed for being parked on the street with expired tags. He camped and couch surfed for a few months until starting to straighten up. He now works doing roof tear-offs and lives with a new girlfriend.

Tenant 2: Late 20s male, college drop out living off his exasperated dad's money. Got heavily into partying and racked up a few DUIs before taking a plea deal on a sexual assault charge and spending a few months in county. Daddy stopped paying rent for him, so he was evicted during this time, and when he came out he started camping in a nearby greenbelt. Still homeless, still intoxicated every time I see him (often with a new/different expensive bicycle undoubtedly heading toward our thriving black market).

Tenant 3: Mid 30s male, college drop out trying to hit the big time in a touring rock band while busing tables and doing tattoo work on the side. Got himself hooked on heroin, turned into a couch-locked skeleton, and lost all his paying gigs. His parents tried to get him help, but he wasn't ready so they cut him off after 6 months. He had a van for a while, but now just lives in the same greenbelt as #2 and can sometimes be found busking downtown - that is when he hasn't nodded off in front of some doorway.

Evicted women fare a lot better - they have access to a lot more organizations & resources once out on the street plus, no matter how ugly or crazy, they can always find some schmuck to take them in.

UNK
08-19-2020, 02:48 PM
This just came up on a local neighborhood feed web board. I edited out location and names, just not to be a complete ass.

Public svc announcement. cougar alert. (https://nextdoor.com/news_feed/?post=158219834)Hello Neighbors, my sons and I usually hit the mtb trail early in the mornings. For the past few days we’ve been noticing a putrid smell at canyon bridge. Because we’ve noticed deification in this area of late we were concerned a person experiencing homelessness might have been in the area due to covid and had a mishap/passed away. Sheriffs and the Forrerst Service searched the area and found a partially consumed cougar kill about 100 yards from the bridge up the mountain.Basically, we have an adult mountain lion in the area. So if you are biking, hiking or walking your dog in the area, be aware and try not to recreate alone early in the morning or in the evening. It’s awesome to have these creatures in our midsts. Let’s all work together to be sure no one gets hurt, including the cougar.
P

First off I dont buy it. I just cant tell where exactly where you are trying to be a good neighbor. 😂 Secondly this thread is just another prime example of PF’ers being their typical irreverent selfs so Im not sure you’re gonna get any good advice here. 😉😎

Thanks for the don’t kill the cougar comment. They were here first.
4 hr ago

Damn it Ive been here how long and still cant post right.

First off I dont buy it. I just cant tell where exactly where you are trying to be a good neighbor. 😂 Secondly this thread is just another prime example of PF’ers being their typical irreverent selfs so Im not sure you’re gonna get any good advice here. 😉😎

Lost River
08-19-2020, 06:55 PM

Yeah..

We just call those Californians.

They buy 4 acres and a cowboy hat and think they are Hoss Cartwright on the Bonanza because they no longer live in San Diego. :rolleyes:

blues
08-19-2020, 06:58 PM
Yeah..

They buy 4 acres and a cowboy hat and think they are Hoss Cartwright on the Bonanza because they no longer live in San Diego. :rolleyes:

That's on the "Ponderosa" Little Joe. ;) I'm tellin' Pa!

DDTSGM
08-19-2020, 09:48 PM
Yeah..

People quickly assimilate. I had a relative get married and move to Texas. Six months later she's got enough twang going for her you'd thinks she'd been Miss Rodeo Texas for the last ten years.