PDA

View Full Version : M&P Core

Pages : [1] 2 3

GJM
08-12-2020, 10:13 PM
By chance, I noted that two strong USPSA CO competitors were shooting a M&P, model unknown but I assume a Core. What is the lowdown on these pistols.

Duke
08-12-2020, 11:17 PM
They’re freakin legit

I don’t think a plastic gun could track any flatter in recoil.

The oem trigger set up is a 4lb 11oz Break with an over travel stop

Can be had in ported or non.

4.25 or 5”. Ive got both and prefer the 5”

Use the base plates from the compact guns ($3 each from S&w direct) the full size base plates are long (not like tall as in extended but long front to back) and will foul your reloads due to the weird angle

Use the chpws RMR plates as the stock plates are super thin wierd injection molded junk

Stock gun- 13lb recoil spring. Gabe White 3x5 double in 1.5 or less at 10M

https://youtu.be/OWZ5UV1DXCU

theJanitor
08-13-2020, 12:37 AM
I’m working hard to make the glocks work, but this makes me want to try out a Core

HCM
08-13-2020, 01:18 AM
JM Campbell

NickDrak

GJM
08-13-2020, 01:51 AM
Are there 140mm extensions available?

EricP
08-13-2020, 05:28 AM

Taran (https://tarantacticalinnovations.com/base-pad-for-m-p-9-40-full-size-magazines/)

Springer Precision (https://shop.springerprecision.com/Springer-Precision-MP-9-40-EZ-140mm-extended-capacity-base-pads-SP0450.htm)

MGW
08-13-2020, 06:25 AM
Ive been looking pretty hard for a non ported 5” model. Not sure which pistol he was shooting but Duke has some video of walk back drills. Looks like accuracy isn’t an issue. I almost dove back into the 34 but Dukes escapades are drawing me to the M&P. They make sense for someone like me that runs single stack.

backtrail540
08-13-2020, 06:27 AM

http://taylorfreelancestore.com/s-w/s-w-m-p/

MD7305
08-13-2020, 07:39 AM
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?38450-M-amp-P9-2-0-CORE

M&P M2.0 CORE thread

Duke
08-13-2020, 07:51 AM
Ive been looking pretty hard for a non ported 5” model. Not sure which pistol he was shooting but Duke has some video of walk back drills. Looks like accuracy isn’t an issue. I almost dove back into the 34 but Dukes escapades are drawing me to the M&P. They make sense for someone like me that runs single stack.

Ported 5” here.

100m to 50M. 66% silhouette steel (painted FDE cause I’m an idiot and didn’t have any white paint)

https://youtu.be/KdQv8SPmY9Q

RJ
08-13-2020, 08:05 AM
ranger

JM Campbell
08-13-2020, 08:48 AM
I need me some CORE 2.0 in my life. Compact, FS and a 5”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vcdgrips
08-13-2020, 09:40 AM
Duke,

Nice make up shot at 50m. Much respect sir.

Duke
08-13-2020, 09:47 AM
Duke,

Nice make up shot at 50m. Much respect sir.

Thanks. I posted a normal walk back from 50-100 on the gram with no misses.

Some douche was like “start at 100 and switch to strong hand when you miss”

Okay chief....here it is lol. It was hot as shit that day I was actually tired of pulling triggers but it had to be done

Grey
08-13-2020, 09:53 AM
Thanks. I posted a normal walk back from 50-100 on the gram with no misses.

Some douche was like “start at 100 and switch to strong hand when you miss”

Okay chief....here it is lol. It was hot as shit that day I was actually tired of pulling triggers but it had to be done

It was actually 75 and mild but Duke needed to flex on us fatties...

vcdgrips
08-13-2020, 09:55 AM
I am sure the requestor will be posting up a video showing an equivalent level of acumen captured in the same authoritatively and self authenticating manner...NOT.

Blessings to you and yours.

DB

Duke
08-13-2020, 10:21 AM
It was actually 75 and mild but Duke needed to flex on us fatties...

Exactly.

Regarding my enthusiasm for this platform - on demand accuracy and recoil control are things that I don’t do particularly well.

So if a gun makes those things less taxing for me that’s a huge portion of my decision.

The 4.25 may track a little flatter than the 5”. But it’s more immediate in the recoil Impulse - like you hear the shot and the dot is in a different place. It comes back fast but you (I) can’t keep it in the window during .15 splits. With a 2011 for example the recoil impulse is just smooth. Slide back, slide forward. M&p is just as soft but immediacy of the recoil is different.

I’m running 14LB round wire springs in the 4.25 and 13lb flat wire in the 5”.

Lester Polfus
08-13-2020, 11:31 AM
Taran (https://tarantacticalinnovations.com/base-pad-for-m-p-9-40-full-size-magazines/)

Springer Precision (https://shop.springerprecision.com/Springer-Precision-MP-9-40-EZ-140mm-extended-capacity-base-pads-SP0450.htm)

To order from Taran you have to text a picture of your Precious.

JM Campbell
08-13-2020, 01:55 PM
Duke so what your saying is you like what the M&P CORE has to offer and can get similar performance as what you were getting with the STI?

Accuracy is improved over gen1 M&P?

I’m heavily invested in M&P, I’ve been playing with the idea of a different platform but if I could just go to the v2.0 and make gains over the v1 then it will be substantially less money in the long run. And I wouldn’t have to sell my 5shot SME AIWB rig.

JM Campbell
08-13-2020, 01:57 PM
Have you also used the ETS 21rd mags?

Erick Gelhaus
08-13-2020, 01:58 PM
In the 250PMO class a couple weeks ago, had a repeat student from a large west coast L/E special weapons team with a 2.0 CORE with a 4.25" Apex bbl. That combination flat out works, both function & accuracy.

Apparently, out of the nearly fifty cops there, half are using that combination. Going down the road of "the true test of another man's intelligence is how much he agrees with you" - I agree with the gentleman about the majority of the set-up.

GJM
08-13-2020, 02:47 PM
I might spring for a 5.0 Core for R&D, where is the best place to get one and what is the going price?

Erick Gelhaus
08-13-2020, 02:58 PM
Good question. I haven't looked for any of the 5" models, maybe J&G otherwise no idea. I'm going to pick-up a 4.25" CORE after the next teaching trip.

JM Campbell
08-13-2020, 03:25 PM
Good question. I haven't looked for any of the 5" models, maybe J&G otherwise no idea. I'm going to pick-up a 4.25" CORE after the next teaching trip.

None at J&G, buds has them but retail store only. No online purchase.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200813/5e0f6b1c6520370bf57ba1e94fdd20e2.jpg

I’ve been looking.

HCM
08-13-2020, 03:26 PM
So are the 2.0 core models other than the 5” ported available outside LE purchase circles ?

JM Campbell
08-13-2020, 03:29 PM
I might spring for a 5.0 Core for R&D, where is the best place to get one and what is the going price?

https://oakhillguns.com/pistol/smith-wesson.html

Get it while it’s hot.

ETA: Never mind OOS.

98z28
08-13-2020, 04:05 PM
I played with a few back when they first dropped in 2017 (non CORE version). Looking back through my notes, I see that I dropped them for two main reasons:

One of my three grouped well at 25 yards with a variety of ammo. One would only group well with specific ammo. One wouldn't group well with anything and went back to Smith for a new barrel and extractor. It was acceptable after that.
One of my three had problems extracting - the one that went back to Smith. It ran fine after it came back, but there were quite a few reports of other M&P 2.0's developing extraction issues at low round counts (over 1,000).

At the time, there were quite a few reports of problems with magazines that suggested weak magazine springs, though I never had issues with any of my magazines. Still, the reports were widespread enough that I preemptively purchased +10% springs.

I LOVED the way they shot. Felt recoil is modest and the front sight returns to the rear notch quickly without much extra movement. Triggers are decent and clean up well. They are easy guns to shoot well.

But...finding a pair of them that ran and grouped with a decent variety of ammo was nearly as much of a challenge with the 2.0 as it was with the 1.0. I ended up going with the 320 (and didn't that work out great? I still can't safely carry the damn things).

If current users are putting rounds through them and having acceptable accuracy and reliability, especially with a pair or brace of them, then it may be time to take another look (speaking for myself).

mmc45414
08-13-2020, 04:36 PM
Have you also used the ETS 21rd mags?
I have one and it does what it is supposed to.
Had a couple of the 17rnd versions and they didn't seem as nice, maybe i was just not attracted to them because i have so many factory mags.
But i would buy more of the 21 round versions.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JM Campbell
08-13-2020, 05:02 PM
I have one and it does what it is supposed to.
Had a couple of the 17rnd versions and they didn't seem as nice, maybe i was just not attracted to them because i have so many factory mags.
But i would buy more of the 21 round versions.

I picked up 2 21 rounders and a 17 to see how they ran.

mmc45414
08-13-2020, 05:41 PM
I picked up 2 21 rounders and a 17 to see how they ran.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSeems like the 17s ran but didn't drop out of the Gen1s

EricP
08-13-2020, 07:34 PM
To order from Taran you have to text a picture of your Precious.

Autocorrect was trying to replace the precision in Springer Precision with precious. The irony was not lost on me.

MD7305
08-13-2020, 08:21 PM
So are the 2.0 core models other than the 5” ported available outside LE purchase circles ?

Per S&W's page you can get M2.0 Performance Center 4.25” and 5" guns ported and non-ported. They have a SKU for each. I've seen them available on Gunbroker. They also have a 4" Compact "LE-only" model along with the 4.25" and 5" guns which seem to be mythical.
I'm really interested in a PC ported gun as I was thinking of putting PMM comp on one of my guns but the lack of lengthening the package and utilizing existing holsters is attractive benefit of the ported. I know once I get one I'll be disappointed that it didn't make splitting playing cards easier (possible) or give me a physique like Duke!

Spartan1980
08-13-2020, 08:42 PM
Seems like the 17s ran but didn't drop out of the Gen1s

Never had an issue with my 1.0. Granted it was normally wearing Taylor Freelance bases but even the factory mags drop free in all my 1.0s in all calibers. Mags dropping good is one of several reasons I prefer the M&P over Glock.

mmc45414
08-14-2020, 05:21 AM

Never had an issue with my 1.0. Granted it was normally wearing Taylor Freelance bases but even the factory mags drop free in all my 1.0s in all calibers.
I think it is what was understood, but just clarifying that all my factory and the three ACT mags pop right out of all of my 1.0 and 2.0 guns, just the 17 round ETS were a little stubborn from my 1.0 gun.

Duke
08-14-2020, 06:36 AM
I played with a few back when they first dropped in 2017 (non CORE version). Looking back through my notes, I see that I dropped them for two main reasons:

One of my three grouped well at 25 yards with a variety of ammo. One would only group well with specific ammo. One wouldn't group well with anything and went back to Smith for a new barrel and extractor. It was acceptable after that.
One of my three had problems extracting - the one that went back to Smith. It ran fine after it came back, but there were quite a few reports of other M&P 2.0's developing extraction issues at low round counts (over 1,000).

At the time, there were quite a few reports of problems with magazines that suggested weak magazine springs, though I never had issues with any of my magazines. Still, the reports were widespread enough that I preemptively purchased +10% springs.

I LOVED the way they shot. Felt recoil is modest and the front sight returns to the rear notch quickly without much extra movement. Triggers are decent and clean up well. They are easy guns to shoot well.

But...finding a pair of them that ran and grouped with a decent variety of ammo was nearly as much of a challenge with the 2.0 as it was with the 1.0. I ended up going with the 320 (and didn't that work out great? I still can't safely carry the damn things).

If current users are putting rounds through them and having acceptable accuracy and reliability, especially with a pair or brace of them, then it may be time to take another look (speaking for myself).

3 years ago non performance center non core guns.....

Sort of like thinking a gen 5 Glock is trash because some gen 4’s were.

This 3 pack has -/+ 16k rounds on them. Most of it on the mixed combos of a 1.0 PC upper/2.0 full size lower.

In those rounds there have been 2 stoppages: a stuck mag follower failing to advance the next round. Mag out, whack on leg. Back in, run slide, trigger, boom as normal. The other was a failure to chamber on the 5” When my wonky grip stopped the slide with thumb pressure.

Apex makes and sells a ton of glocks extractors - and some folks think those just a good insurance policy.
Apex makes and sells M&p extractors - folks view it as a reason to avoid Smith.

Lastly I suck at 25M shooting. But if an idiot like me can get consistent hits at 100m with them and strong hand card splits at 10m then anyone can do well with them.

I don’t have any B8 bulls to show you for any of them. I’d be willing to ship a whole gun RMR and all to someone like doc Glock or GJM to let them put it on paper and see what it can do.

Duke
08-14-2020, 07:08 AM
Duke so what your saying is you like what the M&P CORE has to offer and can get similar performance as what you were getting with the STI?

Accuracy is improved over gen1 M&P?

I’m heavily invested in M&P, I’ve been playing with the idea of a different platform but if I could just go to the v2.0 and make gains over the v1 then it will be substantially less money in the long run. And I wouldn’t have to sell my 5shot SME AIWB rig.

Haven’t used the ets mags. Non oem mags for any pistol seem odd to me. New 2.0 17rnds can be had for $18-25 so its Not worth the gamble for me

As to the 2011 comparison - the dvc-p was, in regards to just pulling the trigger and getting Hits, was simply a magic gun. Zero recoil, super smooth slide travel. Magic.

But all other aspects of gun handling were hindered by its 52oz loaded and carried weight and general size of the thing in my hands. The mags are huge and for some that’s not issue. For me I could not reload it, draw or move it as fast as other guns.

I’ve now done my career best shoot with a PC 2.0 core (.85 A zone draws, .10 splits, .05-10 reaction times on a prepped trigger, 1.17 Gabe white immediate incapacitation, 1.27 failure to stop). I’m not saying I need to do those things -nor even that doing so in a DGU would be a good thing, but I know I can. So though the 2011 was much easier to shoot - the M&p makes all other areas of gun handling simpler

ER_STL
08-14-2020, 08:19 AM

Want to hug and hold it.

Despite never committing to the M&P over Glock, I continue to have a soft spot for them. Thanks for your input.

Grey
08-14-2020, 08:21 AM
Haven’t used the ets mags. Non oem mags for any pistol seem odd to me. New 2.0 17rnds can be had for $18-25 so its Not worth the gamble for me

As to the 2011 comparison - the dvc-p was, in regards to just pulling the trigger and getting Hits, was simply a magic gun. Zero recoil, super smooth slide travel. Magic.

But all other aspects of gun handling were hindered by its 52oz loaded and carried weight and general size of the thing in my hands. The mags are huge and for some that’s not issue. For me I could not reload it, draw or move it as fast as other guns.

I’ve now done my career best shoot with a PC 2.0 core (.85 A zone draws, .10 splits, .05-10 reaction times on a prepped trigger, 1.17 Gabe white immediate incapacitation, 1.27 failure to stop). I’m not saying I need to do those things -nor even that doing so in a DGU would be a good thing, but I know I can. So though the 2011 was much easier to shoot - the M&p makes all other areas of gun handling simpler

Sounds like you need to not skip arm day so you can swing those 52 oz guns around faster :P

JM Campbell
08-14-2020, 08:29 AM

Thanks for your input, I know where my limited mad money is going now.

Duke
08-14-2020, 08:46 AM
1) reasonable price?

2) you do trigger work?

3) why RMR not SRO?

11828 is the non ported 5”. 11833 is ported 5”
11826 is the non ported 4.25. 11831 is the Ported 4.25

Paid $659-720 shipped for each of mine. But got them all before the crazy hit.

I bought and tried all configuration of apex parts and didn’t like any - returned all to stock and was happy. I dig the steeply hooked factory trigger. I adjust the trigger stop to basically zero overtravel - no issues with dead trigger.

Along with the Lighter recoil springs I use the Wolff reduced striker spring. I’ve had no issues with light strikes on any ammo and any of my 5 total m&ps (2 4.25, 2 5” and one 4” compact). The lighter striker Spring is worth about 6 ounces of total pull weight reduction

I wanted to love the SRO but find the relative hugeness to be too far in the other direction

My aiwb mag pouch is close enough as well that the sro hood touched and bothers me.

Duke
08-14-2020, 08:53 AM
Stock full size base plates vs oem compact base plates

Duke
08-14-2020, 08:57 AM
Sounds like you need to not skip arm day so you can swing those 52 oz guns around faster :P

Got plenty of arm day reps clearing 2011 feedway stoppages.

Live rounds find themselves existing in odd places somedays

GJM
08-14-2020, 09:40 AM
1) reasonable price?

2) you do trigger work?

3) why RMR not SRO?
[/QUOTE]

11828 is the non ported 5”. 11833 is ported 5”
11826 is the non ported 4.25. 11831 is the Ported 4.25

Paid $659-720 shipped for each of mine. But got them all before the crazy hit.

I bought and tried all configuration of apex parts and didn’t like any - returned all to stock and was happy. I dig the steeply hooked factory trigger. I adjust the trigger stop to basically zero overtravel - no issues with dead trigger.

Along with the Lighter recoil springs I use the Wolff reduced striker spring. I’ve had no issues with light strikes on any ammo and any of my 5 total m&ps (2 4.25, 2 5” and one 4” compact). The lighter striker Spring is worth about 6 ounces of total pull weight reduction

I wanted to love the SRO but find the relative hugeness to be too far in the other direction

My aiwb mag pouch is close enough as well that the sro hood touched and bothers me.[/QUOTE]

Not for USPSA where porting is not permitted in CO, what is your thinking on ported for EDC? (Sorry my inbox was full).

Duke
08-14-2020, 09:50 AM
Porting for EDC - I’m all in.

That was one of my main reason for seeking out the M&p cores.

Factory red dot cut. Most simplistic way to get comped/ported.

I’ve got a 5” out to Floyd’s custom getting another set of ports for a total of 4. I haven’t shot a non ported full size - but id assume the smallish factory ports are worth maybe 5-10% overall. I’ll take that. The threaded barrel extended Comp Method actually pushed the nose down in recoil On a 4” - which was worse than nothing.

It would be interesting to try a 3.6” slide with a threaded barrel and PMM comp for a 4.6” ish oal slide on a full size frame but. That’s pretty far in the weeds for this thread

GJM
08-14-2020, 12:11 PM
Assuming the 2.0 Core uses the 1.975 plate from C&H and not the 1.925 plate?

Just bought a 5.0 for YVK to consider.

Duke
08-14-2020, 12:17 PM

Correct.

I did get an 11831 from smith with a mismatched 1.0 slide and Short optic cut on a 2.0 frame.

They asked for it back and told me not to shoot it. Replaced with a whole new 2.0. Weird slip up.

MGW
08-14-2020, 05:00 PM

Where did you find it? I see one on GB and it’s over priced. It looks like KYgunCo has them in stock but I don’t know anything about that company

GJM
08-14-2020, 05:02 PM
Where did you find it? I see one on GB and it’s over priced. It looks like KYgunCo has them in stock but I don’t know anything about that company

I figured that between all of Duke’s fan boys buying them all, and general upward pressure with the election cycle, this M&P Core will be worth more than YVK’s first car by the end of the year.

JM Campbell
08-14-2020, 07:49 PM

Got mine today, drop out of all V1 including 9L pro

JM Campbell
08-14-2020, 08:45 PM
Well I found a performance center 11833 5” CORE at a local Bass Pro, pick it up Sunday.

Duke
08-14-2020, 09:00 PM
Well I found a performance center 11833 5” CORE at a local Bass Pro, pick it up Sunday.

Yes. Yes and yes.

HCM
08-14-2020, 09:52 PM

Nice. That's the ported, yes ?

SoCalDep
08-14-2020, 10:19 PM
In the 250PMO class a couple weeks ago, had a repeat student from a large west coast L/E special weapons team with a 2.0 CORE with a 4.25" Apex bbl. That combination flat out works, both function & accuracy.

Apparently, out of the nearly fifty cops there, half are using that combination. Going down the road of "the true test of another man's intelligence is how much he agrees with you" - I agree with the gentleman about the majority of the set-up.

Was that JM? He’s asshole level good and the Apex bbl is no joke. In addition to SEB, a bunch of us at WTU are running them as well with very positive results. I was just thinking about ordering one or two more right before I clicked on this thread!

GJM
08-14-2020, 10:21 PM
Anyone with experience with a SRO on a Core 2.0 five inch with a C&H plate?

HCM
08-14-2020, 10:27 PM

NickDrak is running a 4.25 with an SRO.

NickDrak
08-14-2020, 10:28 PM

Yes. I’m running a 2.0 5” as my duty pistol.

GJM
08-14-2020, 10:30 PM
I read on Enos about stoppages with brass getting caught under the lip of the SRO with a Core, but not sure what plate was being used. Hope the C&H design mitigates that.

NickDrak
08-14-2020, 10:35 PM
I read on Enos about stoppages with brass getting caught under the lip of the SRO with a Core, but not sure what plate was being used. Hope the C&H design mitigates that.

I’ve never seen it. So far I’ve only got just over 2500 rounds on my 5” LE model running a 15lb recoil spring and primarily 147gr Magtech.

My 4.25” 2.0 CORE has about 8000 rounds on it without ever seeing that issue either.

GJM
08-14-2020, 10:40 PM
I’ve never seen it. So far I’ve only got just over 2500 rounds on my 5” LE model running a 15lb recoil spring and primarily 147gr Magtech.

My 4.25” 2.0 CORE has about 8000 rounds on it without ever seeing that issue either.

C&H plate?

NickDrak
08-14-2020, 10:41 PM
C&H plate?

Yessir.

SoCalDep
08-14-2020, 11:01 PM

We put 10K factory rounds through the T&E CORE with a factory plate and I watched almost every round fired. That never happened. I have an SRO on a CORE with a few thousand rounds and have several partners with the same setup and even more rounds. All have used the factory plates. I have never heard or seen of that malfunction except in this thread.

I’m not even sure how that could happen.

I do like C&H plates. I have one on my Glock 17/SRO and we just installed one on one of our Department T&E G17s to test a Holosun optic. All that said I don’t think the C&H plate is necessary for what is claimed here.

Duke
08-15-2020, 04:36 AM
We put 10K factory rounds through the T&E CORE with a factory plate and I watched almost every round fired. That never happened. I have an SRO on a CORE with a few thousand rounds and have several partners with the same setup and even more rounds. All have used the factory plates. I have never heard or seen of that malfunction except in this thread.

I’m not even sure how that could happen.

I do like C&H plates. I have one on my Glock 17/SRO and we just installed one on one of our Department T&E G17s to test a Holosun optic. All that said I don’t think the C&H plate is necessary for what is claimed here.

Did the test gun optic screws use blue loctite, purple, VC3, sidewalk bubble gum or a mix of all?

JM Campbell
08-15-2020, 05:18 AM
Nice. That's the ported, yes ?

Yes it is the ported version.

GJM
08-15-2020, 06:49 AM
For those shooting the new CORE 2.0 models, given all the hassle around getting them, what caused you to go that way over a Glock?

JM Campbell
08-15-2020, 07:03 AM
For those shooting the new CORE 2.0 models, given all the hassle around getting them, what caused you to go that way over a Glock?

I’m heavily invested in v1 M&P9s and support gear. After I purchased your old g17 atom/Aimpoint I’ve been interested in dot guns but never really put the time in. The 2.0 CORE/RMR guns are the future so I’m getting on the train.

David S.
08-15-2020, 07:20 AM

Possibly to do with bunny fart gamer loads?

Duke
08-15-2020, 09:05 AM

Grip angle, trigger

30 year old ergo labeled as perfection? No thanks

Is the Glock striker system safer ? Maybe. But maybe only because Glock told us it is.

And I’m going to take a bunch of shit for this - but I don’t believe the fully cocked strikers are any more dangerous for aiwb.

If the chance of junk shooting was so much greater with a non Glock - we’d see 10,000 new dickless operators on IG every day.

“SCD control device is an added layer of safety and that’s a good thing”

Cool. Being in better shape is an added level of dangerous for a gun guy and added layer of health over all.

Very few are as eager take their Fitness as far as their added layers of gun handling.

Now to prevent seeming like a Total ass - I do envy those who shoot and enjoy glocks well.

Truth - sticking a grock in my hand reduces my natural level of ability by what feels like 50%.

SoCalDep
08-15-2020, 10:12 AM
Did the test gun optic screws use blue loctite, purple, VC3, sidewalk bubble gum or a mix of all?

We used Loctite 248. We have found the 248 to be easier to apply compared to some other products and if done correctly has a really good balance of hold while not stripping screws on removal. We use it on larger screws such as the 6-32 and M3 screws for the RMR/MOS/CORE. We did have one screw come loose and shear at the very end of the 10,000 rounds. We had shot 2,000 rounds in about a half hour just to see what happens, cooling the pistol by dipping the slide and barrel in water when it got too hot to handle. The rear of the slide was so hot we couldn’t touch it. That was certainly interesting and educating, it wasn’t realistic and sort of set things up for failure.

On smaller screws or those with small (like 5/64”) hex heads I’ve started using VC-3. I had some poor performance in the past with VC-3 on Glock front sights and optics but I think part of it was applying too much and with the optic there was an issue with that specific mount not fitting correctly. I used VC-3 on the 5/64” hex head screws to mount our test Leupold DPP on a CORE and So far we’ve gone 7,000 rounds with no issues. I used VC-3 as per CHPWS instructions to mount a personal SRO to my G17 with the C&H plate and while I’ve only shot a couple thousand rounds or so, I’ve had no problems. I also mounted our test Holosun to a Glock using a C&H plate With VC-3 but we haven’t started shooting it yet.

SoCalDep
08-15-2020, 10:44 AM

I’ve not found my “perfect” pistol. 1911s shoot flat and have great triggers but are slow to reload and too finicky to be my go-too, though I do love them. Glocks are accurate and reliable but as Duke mentioned, I feel like I have to work harder to get the performance I want out of the stock trigger - even the Gen 5 versions. I don’t find the grip angle or profile ideal either.

The original M&P had the same issues as the Glock for me (poor ergos and trigger) but in different ways. I see how many people found the M&P to feel better in the hand compared to the Glock but I never felt I could wedge my hand into the grip tang like I could with a Glock and with other pistols. Then the 2.0 came along. The trigger feels way better than the 1.0 or Glock, the grip profile and factory stippling make for a very positive grip and the deletion of the beaver tail (which many people liked) helps the web of my hand wedge high in the tang.

Now, while the 2.0 is a big improvement in my opinion it still isn’t perfect. For an iron sight gun my 5” is really accurate, but the 4.25” guns still seem to lack consistency in accuracy compared to Glocks. The Apex barrel seems to be the answer to this but it isn’t an option for some people who are required by policy to use stock guns and I only have one barrel installed right now which means two other COREs still have the factory barrel.

At this point I think both the M&P and Glock are good options. There are things I like about both and things I’d like to improve about both. I’m currently carrying a Glock 19MOS with an RM09 but I switch back and forth between Glocks and M&Ps and my goal is to achieve a consistency and confidence in my performance with both.

AMC
08-15-2020, 11:11 AM
One of my coworkers just picked up an M&P 2.0C CORE. Mounted a Holosun 507C on it, and we spent some time shooting steel the other day. Waaaaaay more accurate and faster with this than any Glock I've ever shot, and frankly better than the 320's ive been shooting a bunch lately. My wallet is already feeling the ache....

JM Campbell
08-15-2020, 11:49 AM
It was very easy purchasing mine on the bass pro web site. Even got an email saying it was ready for pick up a day early which was awesome....the 45 min wait for a gun rep to get “free from their customers” sucked. 4 min 4473 and printed form and I was out.

JM Campbell
08-15-2020, 03:23 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200815/9d7638b5f93241180bc7d1827300ee55.jpg

Ordered my C&H plates last night to outfit my v1 and 2.0 5” guns.

The 2.0 fits perfect in my JM Kydex AIWB with rmr shield I had made for my v1 a few years back.

GJM
08-15-2020, 05:28 PM
I am pretty committed to the Glock ecosystem for carry guns, but for competition, I am always open to a better mousetrap. Will be curious how the Core 2.0 performs.

YVK
08-15-2020, 05:38 PM
I am pretty committed to the Glock ecosystem for carry guns, but for competition, I am always open to a better mousetrap. Will be curious how the Core 2.0 performs.

I'll be lurking in the classifieds, waiting for your, you know, range report.

JM Campbell
08-15-2020, 05:47 PM
I'll be lurking in the classifieds, waiting for your, you know, range report.

Lol! Well versed in the ways of GJM.

mmc45414
08-15-2020, 07:45 PM
It was very easy purchasing mine on the bass pro web site.
Price Check?

Bratch
08-15-2020, 08:29 PM
Shows $679 in OKC.

HCM
08-15-2020, 08:31 PM
Shows $679 in OKC.

They’ll ship it to your local store for free.

JM Campbell
08-15-2020, 09:09 PM
Price Check?

$736 with taxes.

Duke
08-15-2020, 09:28 PM
You can strike a match with one - if you’re so inclined. 58878

JM Campbell
08-15-2020, 09:47 PM
You can strike a match with one - if you’re so inclined. 58878

You guest staring on the Annie Oakley road show?

Great shooting!

Duke
08-15-2020, 10:07 PM
You guest staring on the Annie Oakley road show?

Great shooting!

Thanks.

Really the hardest part is seeing the white tip if you hit it hit it doesn’t light.

Vigi: https://www.instagram.com/p/CD7mc9apWqF/?igshid=1y0tjc5m5tenz

JM Campbell
08-16-2020, 07:41 PM
Let’s see if this Instagram link thingy works.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD-HotqJoxq/?igshid=g7dvgj116v6v

Shoots really flat.

HCM
08-16-2020, 08:03 PM
Let’s see if this Instagram link thingy works.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD-HotqJoxq/?igshid=g7dvgj116v6v

Shoots really flat.

I think it was all the cameraman ;-)

It shoots very flat. It makes me wonder how a .40 version would be.

JM Campbell
08-16-2020, 08:10 PM
Did have some issues with my reloads...but it could just be my old dirty training mags.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200817/d10773c86da4a031cd364871fc3d6bd7.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200817/c7fd433dbc8eb938e613f04aaa7672e1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200817/c1453fd1cce6ccf370cda968a030878d.jpg

This was the last round in a marked mag, happened 3 times.

Eyesquared
08-16-2020, 09:31 PM
Did have some issues with my reloads...but it could just be my old dirty training mags.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200817/d10773c86da4a031cd364871fc3d6bd7.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200817/c7fd433dbc8eb938e613f04aaa7672e1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200817/c1453fd1cce6ccf370cda968a030878d.jpg

This was the last round in a marked mag, happened 3 times.

Is that a combination of an extractor issue and a mag issue? I would think that a properly functioning extractor should prevent that, and that would be in line with the malfunction happening on the last round when there's no additional ammo in the mag pushing the case out of the gun. But I would think normally with a functioning mag the gun would just lock back and the case would trickle out of the ejection port or just sit on top of the mag instead of getting pinched by the slide and barrel hood.

JM Campbell
08-16-2020, 09:45 PM
Is that a combination of an extractor issue and a mag issue? I would think that a properly functioning extractor should prevent that, and that would be in line with the malfunction happening on the last round when there's no additional ammo in the mag pushing the case out of the gun. But I would think normally with a functioning mag the gun would just lock back and the case would trickle out of the ejection port or just sit on top of the mag instead of getting pinched by the slide and barrel hood.

My reloads are a little weak (Tailored to run my scorpion evo3) , @ 250 rds of mixed manufacturers and loadings this was not an issue. It definitely is my loading.

JM Campbell
08-17-2020, 08:48 AM
My reloads are a little weak (Tailored to run my scorpion evo3) , @ 250 rds of mixed manufacturers and loadings this was not an issue. It definitely is my loading.

Reviewed some more video and found one that captured the stoppage. Last second of the video you can see the brass in the ejection port. These were my mouse fart loads, I will be bumping up the grains a smidge.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD_hZt1pV3I/?igshid=3o89p4lnrbnd

GJM
08-20-2020, 08:07 AM
SteveB got his Core 4.25 yesterday and mine is in the way.

What are folks doing about the trigger, guide rod, recoil spring and striker spring — all stock or modified?

Duke
08-20-2020, 08:52 AM

What are folks doing about the trigger, guide rod, recoil spring and striker spring — all stock or modified?

Ismi flat wire recoil spring on the stock rod (I leave the captive nut off)

Reduced power striker spring (came with Wolff round wire springs - which are good but don’t track as flat imo)

Stock everything else

I tried all versions Of apex kits and returns to stock. The steeply curved factory trigger actually works well for my use

JM Campbell
08-20-2020, 09:05 AM

Ported version?

GJM
08-20-2020, 09:12 AM
Ported version?

We both got non ported. I am thinking of trying a ported if I like them. Thoughts on that — blast, recoil control?

I was looking at a Carver Tungsten guide today as it adds 2.5 ounces.

JM Campbell
08-20-2020, 09:22 AM
We both got non ported. I am thinking of trying a ported if I like them. Thoughts on that — blast, recoil control?

I was looking at a Carver Tungsten guide today as it adds 2.5 ounces.

I shot 147gr Ranger and 124gr +p gold dot through the 5” ported and still tracked very flat with minimal blast through the reports. The 124gr gold dot +p felt spicy but looking at the video it still tracked pretty flat with the dot never leaving the window.

JM Campbell
08-20-2020, 09:24 AM
https://www.instagram.com/p/CD-HotqJoxq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

2nd vid is 124gr gold dot +p
3rd vid is 147gr Ranger

andre3k
08-20-2020, 09:31 AM

I run mine completely stock, down to the factory steel night sights. It's the only gun I've ever owned that has allowed me to do that. At this point the gun isn't hindering me so I'm leaving it as is.

bwswanson
08-20-2020, 03:45 PM
Ismi flat wire recoil spring on the stock rod (I leave the captive nut off)

Reduced power striker spring (came with Wolff round wire springs - which are good but don’t track as flat imo)

Stock everything else

I tried all versions Of apex kits and returns to stock. The steeply curved factory trigger actually works well for my use

For the 4.25 did you end up using the 13 or 15 ISMI recoil spring? Thanks

Duke
08-20-2020, 04:09 PM
For the 4.25 did you end up using the 13 or 15 ISMI recoil spring? Thanks

Either will work.

In the 4.25 ive used a round wire 14 the most rounds (7500 or so between 2 of them)

The 13 tracks flatter

HCM
08-20-2020, 04:15 PM
So does porting work better the hotter the ammo like a comp ?

Has anyone here shot a ported 2.0 in 40 ?

gomerpyle
08-20-2020, 10:24 PM
Truth - sticking a grock in my hand reduces my natural level of ability by what feels like 50%.

I know the feeling.

David S.
08-21-2020, 09:36 PM
In case anyone’s interested, there’s a 5” .40 CORE 1.0 with a Storm Lake 9mm bbl on the first page of ARFCOM EE right now. I don’t know anything about the seller or gun.

Bratch
08-24-2020, 09:16 PM
Thanks assholes.

Based on this thread and this thread
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?44112-Multiple-Plastic-Fantastic-Platforms

I now own this

But I am down 2 P320s and a G19 sold locally.

Bratch
08-24-2020, 11:34 PM
What are my optic options for this thing?

Other than an AR I have RDS experience with a Sig Romeo 1 on a 320RX and a 507k on a 365xl. Would prefer something to mimic the 507k to try and stay somewhat consistent across guns.

GJM
08-25-2020, 04:42 AM
What are my optic options for this thing?

Other than an AR I have RDS experience with a Sig Romeo 1 on a 320RX and a 507k on a 365xl. Would prefer something to mimic the 507k to try and stay somewhat consistent across guns.

Competition or other use? If carry, a 507 V2 would be the big brother to your 507k. For comp, a SRO would be ideal.

Bratch
08-25-2020, 07:59 AM
Competition or other use? If carry, a 507 V2 would be the big brother to your 507k. For comp, a SRO would be ideal.

Thanks, use for now will be more getting used to the RDS. I’ll dig around with the 507 and SRO and see what I think.

archangel
08-25-2020, 03:32 PM

4.25" CORE 1.0 (ported slide)
un-ported KKM barrel
Wolff steel guide rod, with Wolff 13# or 14# recoil spring.
Extra power striker spring.
Apex FSS trigger kit

GJM
08-25-2020, 03:39 PM
Mine is still on the way, so I haven’t felt the trigger yet. Seems like some differences of opinion between Duke with basically a stock trigger and others using the Apex FSS. Thoughts?

JM Campbell
08-25-2020, 05:00 PM
Mine is still on the way, so I haven’t felt the trigger yet. Seems like some differences of opinion between Duke with basically a stock trigger and others using the Apex FSS. Thoughts?

I actually like the factory Performance Center trigger so far, I need to get more time on it. I do like the Apex polymer triggers with duty kit in my v1s though (I liked the aluminum trigger shoe and duty kit in my shield but it was the only option at the time, the polymer version for v1 worked just “as well” at a lower cost). I have never used or shot the FSS Apex kits.

Up1911Fan
08-25-2020, 07:44 PM
When I was shooting 2.0's all I swapped were sights and the polymer Apex trigger shoe.

SteveB
08-26-2020, 08:35 AM
Having had a fair amount of experience with the M&P 1.0 versions (9, 40 , 45, 9c, 45c and Shield 9), I thought the .45’s were the sweet spot accuracy-wise. I had lousy luck with a series of M&P9’s; even with aftermarket barrels, I couldn’t get them to shoot. Loved the ergos, though. Now that we have the 2.0 CORE, I thought I’d give it a try. Even though this is a Pro Series pistol, it arrived with a 6 lb trigger. I got an Apex FSS trigger, a C&H mounting plate for an SRO, and some 10-8 +0 basepads. Never liked the factory base pads as they stick out too far in front. Compact pads work better, but the 10-8 are the best IMO.

The FSS is a spectacular upgrade over the factory trigger; less than half the pull weight, short, smooth, better trigger shape for me. One big engineering improvement with the CORE is that it is no longer necessary to drift out the rear sight in order to access the striker block. The C&H plate is nicely buttressed fore & aft, and the SRO mounts solidly. Cowitness is barely visible; just fine as this is a range gun for me, but I want to see a bit more sight picture for carry.

Had to go to an indoor range, so no shooting for groups, but I think this 2.0 is going to be just fine. The 5 MOA SRO is perfect on this gun; M&P’s point so well for me, the dot is right on every time. Not only is the grip texture improved, the backstrap unit is wider, giving me more contact area for the heel of my support hand. 150 rounds of AE ball, 115, 124, 147 ran great, shot great. Same with some 115 Gold Dot. Next up will be some shooting at 25. So far, it’s a thumbs up.

GJM
08-26-2020, 05:18 PM
My 2.0 Core finally arrived, although the plate and extensions are still in USPS jail.

Initial impression was this is heavier than a Glock, and a quick check looks like about 4 ounces heavier. The out of the box PC trigger, to my tastes, was flat better than any Glock trigger I have, custom or otherwise. I was having interference from the over travel stop, pulling one hand, and adjusted it some, solving that issue. Without the C&H plate, I used the OEM piece with the Trijicon OEM screws. That allows a lower co-witness with the BUIS, as apparently the C&H plate is enough taller to make that tough. It feels really good in the hand and I can’t wait to shoot it tomorrow. This seems a much improved pistol from the 1.0.

Duke
08-26-2020, 05:43 PM
Gjm I’m super juiced to hear your honest thoughts

I dig the stock trigger - the steep curve allows me ample daylight between my finger and the trigger face during draws - which is a good thing for me

Tried the apex FSS flat and curved set ups and didn’t like any other them

Daylight visible between finger and trigger in a .96 draw - with an FSS Id be on the pretravel there.

GJM
08-27-2020, 12:50 PM
I spent 30 minutes or so dry firing the Core last night. It felt really good in my hands, and took like zero transition effort from a Glock. Of course we all know feel can be misleading, so I was very excited to get to the range today.

Zeroing the SRO, the first shot I fired of American Eagle 115 ball was a stove pipe, which was not a great start. It only took a few more shots to get a good enough zero, and the dot seemed quiet. After that first stove pipe, I went 350 rounds with just one more, fired one hand. Probably some combination of break in and needing a lighter recoil spring. I ran it through a regular practice session, shooting doubles, steel, and arrays. Stuff like this.

https://youtu.be/QjHyoeDeFy8

While the Core is in many ways very similar to a Glock 34, it’s shooting character is actually very different. With the Glock, it wants to shoot Alphas, but I am constantly working to try to move the trigger faster, and that is my limiting factor. The Core just wanted to be shot fast, and the limiting factor was my vision. I was shooting .16 splits up close from the first magazine, and not feeling tension doing it. Some combination of the grip and trigger, allows me to shoot it with less strong hand tension. Overall, from day one, I can shoot the Core faster than my Glock, and I just need to upgrade my visual processing to shoot good points at a faster speed. Before I forget, I only shot the Core a little one hand, and the Glock seems easier to shoot one hand, but that might just be familiarity.

I am so happy Duke broke up with the Stacatto, because I might never have looked at a M&P without his experience. Can’t wait to get a month or two under my belt with it.

Doc_Glock
08-27-2020, 01:22 PM
I used the OEM piece with the Trijicon OEM screws. That allows a lower co-witness with the BUIS, as apparently the C&H plate is enough taller to make that tough. It feels really good in the hand and I can’t wait to shoot it tomorrow. This seems a much improved pistol from the 1.0.

That OEM plate seems really low. Like it.

Doc_Glock
08-27-2020, 01:29 PM
I am so happy Duke broke up with the Stacatto, because I might never have looked at a M&P without his experience. Can’t wait to get a month or two under my belt with it.

I know I asked you about the 2.0 after the first time I held one a couple years back.

"They're junk."

I didn't give them a second thought even though I was pretty impressed with dry handling and a couple shots downrange.

Soooo I too am glad Duke gave them a try. Your findings interest me because if there is something I am bad at, it is trigger speed. Glocks I simply can't seem to run much faster than 0.21s.

Duke
08-27-2020, 02:14 PM
I spent 30 minutes or so dry firing the Core last night. It felt really good in my hands, and took like zero transition effort from a Glock. Of course we all know feel can be misleading, so I was very excited to get to the range today.

Zeroing the SRO, the first shot I fired of American Eagle 115 ball was a stove pipe, which was not a great start. It only took a few more shots to get a good enough zero, and the dot seemed quiet. After that first stove pipe, I went 350 rounds with just one more, fired one hand. Probably some combination of break in and needing a lighter recoil spring. I ran it through a regular practice session, shooting doubles, steel, and arrays. Stuff like this.

https://youtu.be/QjHyoeDeFy8

While the Core is in many ways very similar to a Glock 34, it’s shooting character is actually very different. With the Glock, it wants to shoot Alphas, but I am constantly working to try to move the trigger faster, and that is my limiting factor. The Core just wanted to be shot fast, and the limiting factor was my vision. I was shooting .16 splits up close from the first magazine, and not feeling tension doing it. Some combination of the grip and trigger, allows me to shoot it with less strong hand tension. Overall, from day one, I can shoot the Core faster than my Glock, and I just need to upgrade my visual processing to shoot good points at a faster speed. Before I forget, I only shot the Core a little one hand, and the Glock seems easier to shoot one hand, but that might just be familiarity.

When GJM confirms - even a potion of your findings with a given platform- one can assume You’re (me) on the right path.

Bratch
08-27-2020, 06:21 PM
Do these need a little break in?

Took mine to the range today, dry out of the box like I always do. First 3 rounds were failure to feed with 115gr Federal bulk pack. Put some oil on it and then ran AE 124gr, had one more FTF and then it started cycling fine. Put a few rounds of 115 through it at the end with no problems.

Duke
08-27-2020, 06:31 PM

Took mine to the range today, dry out of the box like I always do. First 3 rounds were failure to feed with 115gr Federal bulk pack. Put some oil on it and then ran AE 124gr, had one more FTF and then it started cycling fine. Put a few rounds of 115 through it at the end with no problems.

None of my Now 5 have needed any break in

Bratch
08-27-2020, 06:44 PM
None of my Now 5 have needed any break in

This is the only one I’ve had issues with but it is also my first ported.

Have a couple 2.0 Cs and multiple 1.0s that I don’t remember issues with.

GJM
08-27-2020, 06:48 PM

What is this oil you refer to? I just popped mine apart and it was dry. Added some Lucas and will see tomorrow. I got my 140mm extensions, so will be interested in how it does with 23+1 on board.

Duke
08-27-2020, 06:49 PM
This is the only one I’ve had issues with but it is also my first ported.

Have a couple 2.0 Cs and multiple 1.0s that I don’t remember issues with.

I will say S&w like anyone - is not immune from errors.

One of the 11831’s I got new was a 2.0 frame with a 1.0 upper.

Not to be confused with the same combo that I made on a 2.0 compact lower with and 1.0 slide stop and slide kit

This was a legit factory mismatch of components.

They sent and new upper and asked that I not shoot it in the configuration as delivered.

So - if that can happen - a percentage needing break in is certainly not unfathomable.

GJM
08-27-2020, 06:54 PM
I was just looking through frames, and the Core certainly is flat shooting. I was surprised to see this with AE 115, and mine is not ported.

YVK
08-27-2020, 07:04 PM
I was surprised to see this with AE 115

Why? AE 115 clocks at 131-133 pf out of 4.5 inch barrels.

Bratch
08-27-2020, 07:16 PM
I’ll play with it some more the next trip. It’s not slated for any important use anytime soon so not in a rush.

GJM
08-28-2020, 07:46 AM
Gjm I’m super juiced to hear your honest thoughts

I dig the stock trigger - the steep curve allows me ample daylight between my finger and the trigger face during draws - which is a good thing for me

Tried the apex FSS flat and curved set ups and didn’t like any other them

Daylight visible between finger and trigger in a .96 draw - with an FSS Id be on the pretravel there.

The extra pre travel doesn’t bother me for gaming, and I think it is an advantage for defensive use. I really am liking the OEM PC trigger as it came out of the box, after I adjusted the over travel screw in to allow more trigger movement.

spinmove_
08-28-2020, 08:35 AM
What are you guys seeing accuracy wise out of the 9mm variants?

Duke
08-28-2020, 08:42 AM

Grey
08-28-2020, 08:47 AM

No one asked to see your pocket dump Duke :P

GJM
08-28-2020, 08:50 AM

I was just zeroing an optic, but at 20 yards all five AE 115 were into about 2.5 inches off hand.

spinmove_
08-28-2020, 10:08 AM
That definitely doesn’t suck. Are people seeing better lockup on the PC models or is that sort of across the board now with the 2.0s?

GJM
08-28-2020, 11:02 AM
Just back from the range. Main objective was to see how the magazines worked with the Taran 140 extensions, loaded with 23 rounds. Short answer was they and the gun ran fine. I did lube the Core like a Glock yesterday.

I really enjoyed shooting it. My draw isn’t as fast as a Glock yet. The dot tracks very well for me, and I can split it faster than the Glock. It is harder to reload than a Gen 5 Glock.

Plan is to shoot it at matches Saturday and Tuesday.

Duke
08-28-2020, 11:37 AM
Just back from the range. Main objective was to see how the magazines worked with the Taran 140 extensions, loaded with 23 rounds. Short answer was they and the gun ran fine. I did lube the Core like a Glock yesterday.

I really enjoyed shooting it. My draw isn’t as fast as a Glock yet. The dot tracks very well for me, and I can split it faster than the Glock. It is harder to reload than a Gen 5 Glock.

I share the reload slowness vs other platforms.

Floyd’s custom mag well is tempting but takes their baseplate, and makes the grip nearly as long as a full size (when added to the compact frame) And I don’t want to buy 40 of those Pads to Match my mags.

Also on a 15 rounder their pad is a long as a 17 round oem.

H&K
08-28-2020, 11:49 AM
Additional cocking serrations just below the front sight.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-m20-optics-ready-law-enforcement-only-0

backtrail540
08-28-2020, 12:18 PM

Same here with regard to slower reloads. I've found that I grip the frame hard enough on my fullsize that it flexes sufficiently to cause friction and slow insertion. I don't have the same issue with my compact. My fs is fde and i'm not sure if it's across the board or simply my example of one.

GJM
08-28-2020, 12:37 PM
Same here with regard to slower reloads. I've found that I grip the frame hard enough on my fullsize that it flexes sufficiently to cause friction and slow insertion. I don't have the same issue with my compact. My fs is fde and i'm not sure if it's across the board or simply my example of one.

You have a 1.0 or 2.0?

backtrail540
08-28-2020, 12:43 PM
You have a 1.0 or 2.0?

Both 2.0, on the fs I'm running a 1.0 core upper, as 2.0 core guns didn't exist when i bought it.

theJanitor
08-28-2020, 01:24 PM
Do you guys mind listing the part numbers of the 2.0 CORE pistols you are running? thanks

Duke
08-28-2020, 01:39 PM
Do you guys mind listing the part numbers of the 2.0 CORE pistols you are running? thanks

11831 is the 4.25 ported
11833 is the 5” ported

11826 is the Non ported 4.25
11828 is the non ported 5”

newyork
08-29-2020, 08:21 AM
My brother bought a 2.0 Performance Center 9L. Optic cut. Tall sights. Ported. 5”. Adjustable trigger with over travel.

Says the trigger is great.

He bought his under $600

GJM
08-29-2020, 08:33 AM
11831 is the 4.25 ported
11833 is the 5” ported

11826 is the Non ported 4.25
11828 is the non ported 5”

If these work out, I was thinking about having a pair for competition and buying a 4.25 for carry. Interestingly, right now I am running the five inch absolutely stock, and not sure what the advantage of a shorter one would be given I would using either an appendix holster or a Safariland ALS?

MGW
08-29-2020, 08:50 AM
If these work out, I was thinking about having a pair for competition and buying a 4.25 for carry. Interestingly, right now I am running the five inch absolutely stock, and not sure what the advantage of a shorter one would be given I would using either an appendix holster or a Safariland ALS?

From outside looking in I don’t see any advantage. They’re sizes are a little odd. I’m not sure why they have a compact with a different slide that the 4.25. A 4.25 Core with a compact frame sounds like a great carry option to me.

GJM
08-29-2020, 09:17 AM
From outside looking in I don’t see any advantage. They’re sizes are a little odd. I’m not sure why they have a compact with a different slide that the 4.25. A 4.25 Core with a compact frame sounds like a great carry option to me.

Will that work — can you drop the Core 4.25 on a Compact lower?

Bratch
08-29-2020, 09:24 AM

I carried a 5” M&P PC 1.0 for years AIWB.

For concealment nothing since the grip is the same, comfort wise will be highly personal on if the 4.25” hits you in a better spot than the 5”. Theoretically the 4.25” would clear leather 15% faster but at your level and work you put in probably doesn’t matter.

Duke
08-29-2020, 09:48 AM

I think the 4.25 is a little more forgiving of less than perfect grip - while still tracking mostly as flat as the 5”

These 2 draws And splits are virtually the same but I recall feeling like I didn’t have hold of the 5”

https://youtu.be/7YGUKVR-QMo

GJM
08-29-2020, 08:31 PM
Before I forget, can someone confirm, or reconfirm, that you can drop a 2.0 Core 4.25 upper on a 2.0 Compact lower?

To recap, I got the Core Wednesday, shot it Thursday and Friday, and took it to a match today. I really like to be a lot more prepared, but I enjoyed shooting the Core enough those two days of practice that I decided to wing it. First stage was screwed up, but I settled in, and shot it progressively stronger throughout the day. Ended up with a good match, 141 Alphas, 24 Charlies, 2 Deltas, and no mikes or no shoots. It was a delight to shoot, and it felt enough easier to shoot than my Glocks, that if nothing untoward develops, it is a no brainer upgrade for me. Here is my match video.

https://youtu.be/lw2NhIhWLek

Duke
08-29-2020, 08:33 PM
Before I forget, can someone confirm, or reconfirm, that you can drop a 2.0 Core 4.25 upper on a 2.0 Compact lower?

To recap, I got the Core Wednesday, shot it Thursday and Friday, and took it to a match today. I really like to be a lot more prepared, but I enjoyed shooting the Core enough those two days of practice that I decided to wing it. First stage was screwed up, but I settled in, and shot it progressively stronger throughout the day. Ended up with a good match, 141 Alphas, 24 Charlies, 2 Deltas, and no mikes or no shoots. It was a delight to shoot, and it felt enough easier to shoot than my Glocks, that if nothing untoward develops, it is a no brainer upgrade for me. Here is my match video.

https://youtu.be/lw2NhIhWLek

Yes you can.

The compact frame and 4.25 upper work like are made for each other:

GJM
08-29-2020, 08:36 PM
Yes you can.

The compact frame and 4.25 upper work like are made for each other

I felt another competitor’s Apex trigger in a M&P today, and prefer the OEM PC trigger on my 5 inch Core. What trigger options are there for the Compact frame, if I plop a 4.25 Core upper on?

Brianjkeene
08-29-2020, 08:53 PM
I’m just hoping to find one of these one day.

JM Campbell
08-29-2020, 08:59 PM
I’m just hoping to find one of these one day.

You and me both.

SoCalDep
08-29-2020, 10:27 PM
Will that work — can you drop the Core 4.25 on a Compact lower?

Yep... One of my carry guns:

Duke
08-30-2020, 12:58 AM
I felt another competitor’s Apex trigger in a M&P today, and prefer the OEM PC trigger on my 5 inch Core. What trigger options are there for the Compact frame, if I plop a 4.25 Core upper on?

I added an over travel stop to my compact frame, and with the Wolff reduced striker spring it feels pretty much like the PC gun.

I take a pass on the tungsten guide rod though - tried it and felt it was too far the other direction regarding muzzle dip/rise

You can try mixing some apex springs/sear with the oem trigger shoe and see if you like that.

The forward set sear can only be used with the matching forward set trigger shoe though.

SteveB
08-30-2020, 07:04 AM

Apex kit without forward set sear:

https://www.apextactical.com/action-enhancement-trigger-kit-for-m-p-1

Or, if you like the shape of the M&P trigger, Wolff makes a 4 lb striker spring (factory is 5 lb):

https://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/SMITH%20%26%20WESSON/M%26P%20SERIES%20-%209mm,%20%20.40/.357%20/cID1/mID58/dID262

GJM
08-31-2020, 05:43 PM
I got to the LGS today, to pick up my back up M&P Core 5.0. Installed an SRO on this using the C&H plate. Did not notice a big difference between this plate and the OEM plate. The trigger is identical to the trigger on my number one. Got it to the range, and quickly got it zeroed, with no functional issues.

NickDrak
09-01-2020, 01:32 AM
This feedback pleases me.

GJM
09-01-2020, 05:47 AM
Apparently there was a significant, but relatively quiet, M&P 2.0 enthusiast group on PF.

Duke
09-01-2020, 07:32 AM
I’ve narrowed my reload hang up source.

These 2 notches....mag hangs at an odd angle on them at speed.....I’ll be hitting them liberally with something abrasive shorty.

GJM
09-01-2020, 07:40 AM
I’ve narrowed my reload hang up source.

These 2 notches....mag hangs at an odd angle on them at speed.....I’ll be hitting them liberally with something abrasive shorty.

I try to look at each pistol and figure out which dimension is most forgiving for the reload. With a Glock, for example, you can be off slightly rearward without issue. With the M&P, the more forgiving dimension is side to side. As a result, I hold the M&P slightly different, so if I miss it is on the side not front/back and that seems to be helping. The Core mag opening doesn’t look like you can remove much material.

ER_STL
09-01-2020, 09:34 AM
I #heart (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=heart) this thread in general. Hoping to see the platform work out.

Brianjkeene
09-01-2020, 09:39 AM
I #heart (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=heart) this thread in general. Hoping to see the platform work out.

I think the platform has already proven itself to be reliable accurate and fun to shoot - It’s just still drowned out by the p320 and Glock popularity. I think it will always be a 3rd choice platform but I’m ok with it and will continue to run this sleeper of a gun.

Bratch
09-01-2020, 01:15 PM
Apparently there was a significant, but relatively quiet, M&P 2.0 enthusiast group on PF.

I mean, we did have a 95 page thread on the 2.0C.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?27569-M-amp-P-2-0-Compact-S-amp-W-s-G19&highlight=G19%2A

mmc45414
09-01-2020, 03:15 PM
Ya know, that might be true, but it seems odd to admit. Just seems like they live in the Glock shadow, but everything is in the Glock shadow, and often all you hear about is the Glock 19. And along the way the FBI selected the G19, and that just made it worse. So maybe we have been a little underground... :cool:

But I have been digging them for a long time, and in 2014 decided I didn't need multiple brands of striker guns and sold all of my Glocks to fund a shotgun I wanted. Probably the 2.0 Compact with the G19 4"/15rnd Goldilocks form factor probably put it over the top. A bonus is that before the Chinese Virus I bought my last two for $409 each. For a while RK Guns had Compacts for $350. Probably all in the past now, but they are, IMO a great gun and a great value.

I also have short fingers and the M&P had the small backstrap way before Gen5 was a thing.

spinmove_
09-01-2020, 07:41 PM
Ya know, that might be true, but it seems odd to admit. Just seems like they live in the Glock shadow, but everything is in the Glock shadow, and often all you hear about is the Glock 19. And along the way the FBI selected the G19, and that just made it worse. So maybe we have been a little underground... :cool:

But I have been digging them for a long time, and in 2014 decided I didn't need multiple brands of striker guns and sold all of my Glocks to fund a shotgun I wanted. Probably the 2.0 Compact with the G19 4"/15rnd Goldilocks form factor probably put it over the top. A bonus is that before the Chinese Virus I bought my last two for $409 each. For a while RK Guns had Compacts for $350. Probably all in the past now, but they are, IMO a great gun and a great value.

I also have short fingers and the M&P had the small backstrap way before Gen5 was a thing.

I think the 9mm 1.0s put a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths. Given that it was supposed to be a much improved Glock and then ultimately ended up just not being that, it kinda got dropped like a bad habit apart from a dedicated user base. Obviously the .40 and .45 variants were just peachy and the Shields didn’t exactly suck either (when they finally got rid of the thumb safety anywho). Between the lackluster release of the 2.0s and S&W’s generally somewhat questionable QC I think a lot of people did a hard pass on the update in favor of other options that were coming out or were out at the time.

If the 2.0s truly are what the 1.0s should have been, then I may very well never go out of my way to buy another Glock again, despite GSSF discounts.

Duke
09-01-2020, 08:18 PM
I try to look at each pistol and figure out which dimension is most forgiving for the reload. With a Glock, for example, you can be off slightly rearward without issue. With the M&P, the more forgiving dimension is side to side. As a result, I hold the M&P slightly different, so if I miss it is on the side not front/back and that seems to be helping. The Core mag opening doesn’t look like you can remove much material.

I had a chance to quick dremel one of my magwells this afternoon. No pics yet as it looks like Hot Dog shit until I smooth it up but - the slight removal of material off the front *did* make reloads less snaggy.

GJM
09-01-2020, 08:43 PM
I got to shoot Rio’s Tuesday Night Steel this afternoon, for the first time since spring, with the Core. Really enjoyed shooting it.

https://youtu.be/QhyMGSHjEB4

GJM
09-01-2020, 08:53 PM
I had a chance to quick dremel one of my magwells this afternoon. No pics yet as it looks like Hot Dog shit until I smooth it up but - the slight removal of material off the front *did* make reloads less snaggy.

When it comes to whittling on mag wells with the Dremel my wife took my privileges away. She says she does that now and there ain’t much to remove on the Core!

Duke
09-01-2020, 09:05 PM
When it comes to whittling on mag wells with the Dremel my wife took my privileges away. She says she does that now and there ain’t much to remove on the Core!

Concur. Front strap only. Less is more. Just a breaking of those factory sloped edges is the ticket

mmc45414
09-01-2020, 09:58 PM
I think the 9mm 1.0s put a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths.
Obviously the .40 and .45 variants were just peachy
Now that you mention it, I was mostly about .40 and .45 when I started shooting M&Ps. Then I got a 9mm that I put an Apex barrel in, I always described it as my $400 gun I put $400 worth of stuff into...

45dotACP
09-02-2020, 12:46 AM
Now that you mention it, I was mostly about .40 and .45 when I started shooting M&Ps. Then I got a 9mm that I put an Apex barrel in, I always described it as my $400 gun I put $400 worth of stuff into...For me, Randy Lee's barrels got some SERIOUS performance out of the M&P I have.

Better than many a 1911. Sacrilege, I know.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

GJM
09-02-2020, 01:35 PM
I received a Carver Tungsten heavy guide rod For my Core 5 inch. Weighs 2.6 ounces on my scale. Also, a 15 pound Wolf recoil spring. There was also a striker spring in the package I installed, which feels good. Hope to test all this later today.

spinmove_
09-02-2020, 01:50 PM
I received a Carver Tungsten heavy guide rod For my Core 5 inch. Weighs 2.6 ounces on my scale. Also, a 15 pound Wolf recoil spring. There was also a striker spring in the package I installed, which feels good. Hope to test all this later today.

Before throwing all your new goodies in there and testing, are you able to quantify how much easier this platform is to shoot over your CO Glocks?

GJM
09-02-2020, 08:27 PM
Before throwing all your new goodies in there and testing, are you able to quantify how much easier this platform is to shoot over your CO Glocks?

Subjectively, shooting in practice, it is enough better to make it worth the logistics of changing. Two matches so far, and both support my subjective impressions. Very little side to side deflection, which makes it easier to shoot faster. I assume it is some combination of trigger and grip characteristics.

Eyesquared
09-02-2020, 10:16 PM
Subjectively, shooting in practice, it is enough better to make it worth the logistics of changing. Two matches so far, and both support my subjective impressions. Very little side to side deflection, which makes it easier to shoot faster. I assume it is some combination of trigger and grip characteristics.

I have had the same impression about Glocks. My observation is that the square-ish shape of the grip makes it easy for the gun to twist side to side in my hand depending on the direction and amount of strong hand grip pressure I apply. Personally, to keep things centered up with the Glock, I had to be very conscious to apply front to back grip pressure with the strong hand, which is not something I have to think about with other guns.

GJM
09-02-2020, 11:13 PM
Is there a Safariland RDO holster for the Core 5, and if so what is the model number and best place to find one?

MD7305
09-02-2020, 11:50 PM
Is there a Safariland RDO holster for the Core 5, and if so what is the model number and best place to find one?

https://rdrgear.com/products/quick-ship-safariland-holsters?variant=35489765032098

Not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for. I'm unaffiliated with RDR but allegedly those are in stock and ready to ship.

Maca
09-03-2020, 06:07 AM
Ive ordered from RDR previously. Solid.

GJM
09-03-2020, 06:46 PM
Core keeps growing on me. Last stage today.

https://youtu.be/R1d1g665leY

JM Campbell
09-03-2020, 08:21 PM
Core keeps growing on me. Last stage today.

https://youtu.be/R1d1g665leY

Why you flipping that M&P like a Glock on reloads? Was your mag hanging up? I’ve caught myself doing the same thing a few times and always have a harder time on the reload because of it.

HCM
09-03-2020, 08:21 PM

The M&P CORE and the SIG 320s use the same Safariland RDO Duty holster.

GJM
09-03-2020, 08:28 PM
Why you flipping that M&P like a Glock on reloads? Was your mag hanging up? I’ve caught myself doing the same thing a few times and always have a harder time on the reload because of it.

I have an issue cleanly dropping the mag when I move diagonally right rearward, not just with the Core, and need to sort it out in practice.

GJM
09-09-2020, 05:53 PM
Shot the Core at 25 yards today with American Eagle 115.

ER_STL
09-09-2020, 06:01 PM
Shot the Core at 25 yards today with American Eagle 115.

It's hard to tell, but what did that group measure? About 4-5"?

rca90gsx
09-09-2020, 06:17 PM
Sportsman's Outdoors superstore just got performance center 5" core in stock. Just a FYI

Duke
09-09-2020, 06:20 PM
The one I sent to GJM shoots like this at 25.

But I suck at 25

GJM
09-09-2020, 06:22 PM

Somewhere in there, but some of that is no doubt me, as I shot it pretty quickly. With this ammo, it wasn’t as accurate as the Gen 5 Glock I also shot, but it was plenty good for how I use it. At some point I would like to try an Apex barrel.

GJM
09-09-2020, 06:53 PM

At home, I realized I shot one previous ten round group at 25 today, after which I adjusted the SRO a few clicks right. Same ammo. Pretty similar to the other one in size.

NickDrak
09-09-2020, 07:38 PM

Yes, but the ALS mechanism needs to be modified a good bit with a dremel in order to work with an SRO.

CopQuest is my go-to now for Safariland duty holsters since HolsterOps was shut down.

https://www.copquest.com/safariland-6390rds-als-level-1-duty-holster-with-qls_23-4675.htm

GJM
09-09-2020, 07:44 PM
Yes, but the ALS mechanism needs to be modified a good bit with a dremel in order to work with an SRO.

CopQuest is my go-to now for Safariland duty holsters since HolsterOps was shut down.

https://www.copquest.com/safariland-6390rds-als-level-1-duty-holster-with-qls_23-4675.htm

Will it work unmodified with a RMR and Acro?

NickDrak
09-09-2020, 07:45 PM
Will it work unmodified with a RMR and Acro?

Yes. Absolutely on both.

NickDrak
09-09-2020, 07:55 PM
I just wrapped up hosting Dan Smith of Centrifuge for his 2-Day (LE Only) RDS Instructor course. Ran my 5” LE “Optics Ready” M&P 2.0 for the class. I installed the Apex FSS (Curved) trigger kit the night before class to try it out.

Through 900+ rounds over two days I am totally confident in the FSS kit with the provided springs as a duty/carry trigger set up. Measures an average of 4lb 8oz in my gun.

Took me only about 100 rounds to get acclimated to the shorter pre-travel and reset. Gun ran 100% with 147gr Speer Lawman TMJ. I’ve been running a tungsten guiros with a 14lb recoil spring from Wolff for the past 2,000 rounds. Gun is just over 9,000 rounds without any malfunctions of any kind.

Class was outstanding and is in my opinion the missing piece of the puzzle for coppers looking to implement a Pistol mounted RDS transition/End user course for their department.

GJM
09-09-2020, 08:01 PM
Please compare and contrast the Apex trigger to the PC OEM trigger. Also, anyone had an Apex barrel fitted to a 2.0, and if so, what did they notice.

What plate for an Acro on a CORE?

Bratch
09-09-2020, 08:07 PM

Wish I would have known about them. I just ordered a 6390 from Safariland during their Labor Day sale.

NickDrak
09-09-2020, 08:15 PM
Please compare and contrast the Apex trigger to the PC OEM trigger. Also, anyone had an Apex barrel fitted to a 2.0, and if so, what did they notice.

What plate for an Acro on a CORE?

If I’m being honest, one of the first things I did was remove the factory PC trigger and replace it with an Apex Duty Carry trigger kit with the Poly/Curved trigger. While the pull and the break on the factory PC trigger felt pretty good, I’ve always disliked the hinged shoe on the M&Ps. The curved factory shoe just always felt kinda wonky to me and just never felt good to my trigger finger.

The Apex Aluminum/Curved FSS Kit is really slick and can be lightened up from where mine is at 4.5lb to significantly lighter if you wish. I’m planning on keeping the Apex FSS installed in my duty gun based off of how I shot with it over the past two days.

I believe CHPWS has an ACRO plate for the new 2020 CORE/“Optics Ready” footprint but it’s not available yet.

Word is that Aimpoint is releasing a updated ACRO with significantly improved battery life using a 2032 battery very soon.

GJM
09-10-2020, 10:11 PM
I may not have given the CORE a fair shake in accuracy evaluation. All this pressing on Gen 5 pistols, had me messing with the CORE. Shaking the pistol back and forth, it felt loose. Then I reflected on the Glock guide rod I had put in. I replaced it with the OEM RSA, and the gun seemed much tighter. Shot a quick five shot group at 25 and got this.

Since I know PF is a ten shoot group forum, I went back and quickly shot another five rounds to make it a ten round group.

It seems like the CORE shoots tighter, and quite decently at 25 yards, with the OEM RSA.

JHC
09-11-2020, 04:45 AM
I may not have given the CORE a fair shake in accuracy evaluation. All this pressing on Gen 5 pistols, had me messing with the CORE. Shaking the pistol back and forth, it felt loose. Then I reflected on the Glock guide rod I had put in. I replaced it with the OEM RSA, and the gun seemed much tighter. Shot a quick five shot group at 25 and got this.

Since I know PF is a ten shoot group forum, I went back and quickly shot another five rounds to make it a ten round group.

It seems like the CORE shoots tighter, and quite decently at 25 yards, with the OEM RSA.

Wow, I would say so!

ER_STL
09-11-2020, 08:08 AM
Fantastic - would love to see this be consistent across a large sampling of newer M&Ps.

Also, would you adopt me please? I mean, I'm blessed with a very good job through which our needs are well met, but I simply don't allocate this much of our resources to guns, and I sometimes get a sad. It would be nice to have at least two copies of every possible option of every respectable gun on the market...with and without optics. Not everyone has that.

Brianjkeene
09-11-2020, 01:44 PM
4” optic ready model just released to civilians as well.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-m20-4-compact-optics-ready

HCM
09-11-2020, 02:29 PM

JM Campbell

newyork
09-11-2020, 03:02 PM
Oh man!!!!

MD7305
09-11-2020, 03:21 PM
Finally, a compact CORE! Those front serrations look really good.

98z28
09-11-2020, 04:22 PM

That's the ticket! Awesome.

THeHumbleMarksman
09-11-2020, 05:05 PM
Wow that group is intense - I need to try one of these

GJM
09-11-2020, 06:21 PM
Testing alternate ammo, I shot one five round group at 20 yards with Lawman 124 out of my CORE 1.

awp_101
09-11-2020, 09:22 PM

I just heard a collective gasp of joy from my group of .40 and .45 M&P 1.0s. And I'm pretty sure my wallet just muttered something about shit getting real...

GJM
09-11-2020, 09:27 PM
First S&W brings out a G19 sized M&P with the compact, now an optics ready 19 sized pistol. What could be next — a Shield with a higher capacity magazine. Good things are happening, but they sure take their time in Massachusetts.

PNWTO
09-12-2020, 11:36 AM
I may have missed it but are there any impressions of the ported Shield(s) for dot use?

NickDrak
09-12-2020, 12:17 PM
First S&W brings out a G19 sized M&P with the compact, now an optics ready 19 sized pistol. What could be next — a Shield with a higher capacity magazine. Good things are happening, but they sure take their time in Massachusetts.

Hopefully this is true...

https://freebeacon.com/latest-news/smith-wesson-stepping-up-production-as-sales-soar-140-percent/

45dotACP
09-12-2020, 12:24 PM
I may have missed it but are there any impressions of the ported Shield(s) for dot use?My dad carries a ported shield 1.0 PC model. No dot, but it does have a better texture and trigger (basically the 2.0 before the 2.0 was a thing).

He has psoriatic arthritis in the base of his dominant hand thumb, and had trouble even shooting a 4" model 64 with factory ammo, but he tells me the shield is much easier on his hand.

I think for such a small gun with the role of deep concealment, porting fits the bill pretty well. I'd carry one myself but I have a trim enough build to carry a G19 sized gun concealed with no problems so it's not a purchase I need to make.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

SteveB
09-14-2020, 02:15 PM
Porting on a carry gun never made much sense to me, but I haven’t messed with one for quite a while. I’ve seen some fireballs out of ported, short-barrel carry guns which affected low-light vision negatively. Maybe the powders are better now, flash-wise, but I still think of porting as a gamer mod.

GJM
09-21-2020, 05:56 PM
I got an SRO on Duke’s five inch Core and got it zeroed today. Through the optic, the benefit of porting was immediately obvious, as the dot moved less in the display and was ready to shoot earlier. I may experiment with using it as a training gun, to try to increase my eye speed.

I also received my Core 4.25, mounted a SRO, and put that upper on a Compact lower. Very attractive and shootable combo.

Late last week, I got an Apex FSS trigger installed in my number one competition Core. The reduction is reset in marvelous!

rca90gsx
09-21-2020, 07:23 PM
Good to hear, i have a FSS curved setup coming. I think that 4.25" CORE upper on a 4" compact frame would be a great setup!

I got an SRO on Duke’s five inch Core and got it zeroed today. Through the optic, the benefit of porting was immediately obvious, as the dot moved less in the display and was ready to shoot earlier. I may experiment with using it as a training gun, to try to increase my eye speed.

I also received my Core 4.25, mounted a SRO, and put that upper on a Compact lower. Very attractive and shootable combo.

Late last week, I got an Apex FSS trigger installed in my number one competition Core. The reduction is reset in marvelous!

shakazulu12
09-22-2020, 07:51 PM
Has anyone had any issues with the optic getting fouled from spent gases from the LCI?

GJM
09-22-2020, 07:58 PM
Has anyone had any issues with the optic getting fouled from spent gases from the LCI?

The SRO’s snorkel protrudes far enough forward, the lens is protected. I can see it happening with an RMR. Lens cleaner is effective on the Legion that has a LCI.

NickDrak
09-22-2020, 09:18 PM

The LC hole sits underneath the front foreskin of the SRO so it’s not really an issue.

GJM
09-23-2020, 05:13 PM
I have been working very hard practicing reloads but have been struggling with getting consistent fast mag changes with the core. My wife got tired of me complaining and took a Dremel to one of mine today.

GJM
09-23-2020, 05:31 PM
What prevents over insertion of a magazine, especially an extended one, in the M&P?

Duke
09-23-2020, 05:44 PM
What prevents over insertion of a magazine, especially an extended one, in the M&P?

The ejector....

rca90gsx
09-23-2020, 06:32 PM
Supposedly you can use a 1/4 or 5/16 (i think) set screw and take off the piece holding the bqckstrap and the set screw will thread in and hold back strap on, eliminating the large overhanging piece.

I have been working very hard practicing reloads but have been struggling with getting consistent fast mag changes with the core. My wife got tired of me complaining and took a Dremel to one of mine today.

Quantrill
09-23-2020, 07:19 PM

On my 1.0’s if I apply pressure on the bottom of the mag with the slide locked, the top round doesn’t touch the ejector with factory base pads and my TTI 140’s. I can slide a thin piece of paper between the round and ejector.

If I do the same test with TF Triple Threat or Springer 140’s the top round touches the ejector. It’s not hard contact.

I’ve done some pretty abusive slide lock reloads and never hurt the ejector, to include slamming full size mags into a slide locked 1.0 9C. It never hurt the ejector. Probably because I didn’t know better lol.

YMMV

rca90gsx
09-26-2020, 03:38 PM
Are you guys running the factory CORE plate for the SRO, or aftermarket plate? 11828 inbound...

Thanks

The SRO’s snorkel protrudes far enough forward, the lens is protected. I can see it happening with an RMR. Lens cleaner is effective on the Legion that has a LCI.

backtrail540
09-26-2020, 04:56 PM
A buddy just got the 5" 2.0 pc with the crimson trace dot. Only core model and was 759, which seemed a solid price.

The pc trigger is a bit nicer than my several thousand round standard 5". I'm certainly not one who is trigger sensitive but his pc trigger felt similar to the vp9 or i was feeling up.

The pc slide stop is nice and I'll be grabbing one.

The crimson trace looks to be a shield sms copy, auto only. He plans on getting an sro and told me i can shoot the ct until it breaks. For a cheap plastic dot, i bet it'd be alright on a 22. See how it holds up to a low round count.

His black pc gun doesn't seem to have the same flex that my fde gun does, in that when i hold my fde gun with normal grip pressure it flexes the frame enough to retard magazine insertion. Not so on his black pc frame. Not sure what's up with that.

Overall i think that the pc guns are nice enough that if i end up with another m&p it'll be one of those rather than a franken gun I'm currently running.

GJM
09-26-2020, 09:00 PM
Are you guys running the factory CORE plate for the SRO, or aftermarket plate? 11828 inbound...

Thanks

Both and haven’t noticed a difference although the CHPWS plate looks better.

rca90gsx
09-26-2020, 09:02 PM
Thanks, appreciate it. I'll try stock for testing anyways.

Both and haven’t noticed a difference although the CHPWS plate looks better.

Patrick Taylor
09-26-2020, 10:06 PM
His black pc gun doesn't seem to have the same flex that my fde gun does, in that when i hold my fde gun with normal grip pressure it flexes the frame enough to retard magazine insertion. Not so on his black pc frame. Not sure what's up with that.

My black gen 1s are stiffer than my FDE gen 2s , the gen 1 also has a little better shape to me. I also must relax grip for mags to drop free out of the 2.0s pistols. I thought it was a gen1 to gen 2 difference but if it has something to do with the colors I will be looking for black gen 2s.

Raced dirt bikes for years and the colors put into the bikes plastic did make a difference in the plastics. Kawasaki green for example was more brittle than others.

archangel
10-01-2020, 01:09 PM

I've had it happen with an RMR. Nothing that wiping the lens off every ~500 rounds doesn't fix.

BobM
10-01-2020, 08:03 PM
I bought a 2.0 CORE early in the year and took it to a Handgun Combatives MDRS course in a Safariland RDS duty holster. We recently got in two M&P40 COREs to begin trying them out as issue items. I found the 40 pistol will not fit the holster. I took a dial caliper to the office and found the 40 slide definitely thicker. As far as I can tell there is only one part number for a RDS equipped M&P holster. I’m going to contact the dealer tomorrow, hopefully they will have a contact at Safariland.
I’ve thought about working on the interior of the holster but it might require removal of too much material. Any ideas?

GJM
10-01-2020, 08:31 PM
On my CO CORE, I installed the Springer Precision extended mag release and it makes dropping the mag much easier. Wouldn’t do it to a carry M&P.

NETim
10-08-2020, 09:34 PM
My new to me 1.0 CORE with a DPP and Leupold plate appears to be intermittently kicking ejected cases back down into the ejection port where things come to an immediate halt with the case pinched in the port.

It does this with the OEM recoil spring. 13lb ISMI spring on a captured rod is slightly better but still seeing the issue about once or twice per 100 rounds. My 1.0 Pro, using same ammo and mags, runs like a top but the ejection pattern is erratic. Both guns exhibit erratic ejection patterns.

I'm going to try an Apex extractor in the CORE as well as other ammo. Also I'll remove the DPP and see how it runs. The DPP shows brass marks so I'm pretty sure ejected cases are bouncing off of it occasionally.

The CORE has an APEX FSS and SDI barrel installed in it.

I was hoping this was going to be a pain free transition.

HCM
11-02-2020, 10:35 PM
I bought a 2.0 CORE early in the year and took it to a Handgun Combatives MDRS course in a Safariland RDS duty holster. We recently got in two M&P40 COREs to begin trying them out as issue items. I found the 40 pistol will not fit the holster. I took a dial caliper to the office and found the 40 slide definitely thicker. As far as I can tell there is only one part number for a RDS equipped M&P holster. I’m going to contact the dealer tomorrow, hopefully they will have a contact at Safariland.
I’ve thought about working on the interior of the holster but it might require removal of too much material. Any ideas?

What was the resolution on this ?

BobM
11-02-2020, 11:13 PM
What was the resolution on this ?

None yet. I have not received an answer from the vendor, which leads me to believe they haven’t got a response from Safariland. I’m probably going to dremel out some material. The holster has some ribs on the ALS mechanism that looked easy to grind away. I just haven’t had time as I’ve got a guy quarantined. He’s due back Wednesday so I’m going to try to work on it then.

HCM
11-02-2020, 11:30 PM
None yet. I have not received an answer from the vendor, which leads me to believe they haven’t got a response from Safariland. I’m probably going to dremel out some material. The holster has some ribs on the ALS mechanism that looked easy to grind away. I just haven’t had time as I’ve got a guy quarantined. He’s due back Wednesday so I’m going to try to work on it then.

Thanks. I ask because my LGS just got a pair of Ported 2.0 PC CORE 40 in. A 4.25" and a 5". I was leaning 4.25 hoping it would work in my SIG 320 RDS duty rig...

If I have to buy a holster regardless... what are the PF thoughts and experiences on the 4.25 vs the 5 ?

GJM

JM Campbell

Duke

JM Campbell
11-03-2020, 12:25 AM
I’m still digging the 5”, I want to grab a pair of 4.25 full and compact CORE models when shit dies down some. I really like the new frame and slide stop/release. I have not made my 5” auto forward like my v1s do 90% of the time on reloads and I really like that redesign.

Duke
11-03-2020, 04:06 AM
Thanks. I ask because my LGS just got a pair of Ported 2.0 PC CORE 40 in. A 4.25" and a 5". I was leaning 4.25 hoping it would work in my SIG 320 RDS duty rig...

If I have to buy a holster regardless... what are the PF thoughts and experiences on the 4.25 vs the 5 ?

GJM

JM Campbell

Duke

I bought kydex for the longer version with a full size weapon light as I like the stability.

HCM
11-03-2020, 01:30 PM
I bought kydex for the longer version with a full size weapon light as I like the stability.

How about the guns themselves ? I recall you sold off the 5"

Duke
11-03-2020, 02:31 PM
How about the guns themselves ? I recall you sold off the 5"

Still have a pair of 4.25s but have moved them out of daily use roles.

GJM
11-03-2020, 03:20 PM

GJM

JM Campbell

Duke

I am shooting the five inch in competition, but haven’t done enough comparison testing with the 4.25 to offer anything intelligent beyond the 4.25 is easier to carry.

HCM
11-03-2020, 03:35 PM
Still have a pair of 4.25s but have moved them out of daily use roles.

Thanks this would strictly be a range /training gun as I have access to a fair amount of .40 cal.

I have been thinking about a Glock or P3 20 style roll in special built in 40 but after shooting JM Campbells ported MNP nine with plus PMO I think the ported 40 will accomplish the same goal.

Duke
11-03-2020, 04:37 PM

Thanks this would strictly be a range /training gun as I have access to a fair amount of .40 cal.

I have been thinking about a Glock or P3 20 style roll in special built in 40 but after shooting JM Campbells ported MNP nine with plus PMO I think the ported 40 will accomplish the same goal.

GJM
11-09-2020, 04:23 PM
I spent some time shooting a 4.25 CORE, alongside a 5.0 CORE, using the same lower with an Apex trigger to minimize variation besides the upper. I really enjoyed shooting the 4.25, and wouldn’t feel bad carrying it, but the 5.0 was a better shooting gun in my hands, at least today.

JM Campbell
11-09-2020, 05:39 PM
I spent some time shooting a 4.25 CORE, alongside a 5.0 CORE, using the same lower with an Apex trigger to minimize variation besides the upper. I really enjoyed shooting the 4.25, and wouldn’t feel bad carrying it, but the 5.0 was a better shooting gun in my hands, at least today.

Have you had any time on a compact 2.0?

GJM
11-09-2020, 07:11 PM
Have you had any time on a compact 2.0?

My normal configuration is the 4.25 core upper on a compact lower, but I chose the full size lower for evaluation purposes. I do like the 4.25 on the compact lower, and I am awaiting availability of the new 4.0 core model.

MD7305
11-09-2020, 11:27 PM
I had found a few of the M2.0 compacts on GB and purchased one. It arrived today. The front serrations are a very nice addition and look quite good. Another nice, unexpected surprise were the extended slide release levers. I've been following the release of this pistol since it was announced and don't remember ever hearing about extended slide levers.
They're noticeably bigger than the levers on my other M2.0s
Some other observations:
-Slide to frame fit was tight but not in a negative way.
-Trigger take up is a bit gritty but I'm hopeful it smooths out with some use.
-Thumb Safety. The only reason I got the TS model was because the vendor I found these guns at was selling them for $70 less than NTS models. As easy and cheap as it is to remove the safety I figured it was a minor inconvenience. Having said that, the safety isn't bad. It's activation/deactivation is crisp and tactile.
-I'm not a big fan of the plastic plates. I'm sure they're fine but I really dislike how much the hang over the slide. Probably just an esthetic thing but it's going to require me to either slightly modify the plate or a couple of my EDC holsters. I think when I can acquire a CHPWS plate it will be a non-issue.

Overall, I really like the features S&W put into this pistol and I'm glad it's finally available. I'm really looking forward to putting it to work and trying to decide what optic to use.

JM Campbell
11-10-2020, 12:00 AM
I had found a few of the M2.0 compacts on GB and purchased one. It arrived today. The front serrations are a very nice addition and look quite good. Another nice, unexpected surprise were the extended slide release levers. I've been following the release of this pistol since it was announced and don't remember ever hearing about extended slide levers.
They're noticeably bigger than the levers on my other M2.0s
Some other observations:
-Slide to frame fit was tight but not in a negative way.
-Trigger take up is a bit gritty but I'm hopeful it smooths out with some use.
-Thumb Safety. The only reason I got the TS model was because the vendor I found these guns at was selling them for $70 less than NTS models. As easy and cheap as it is to remove the safety I figured it was a minor inconvenience. Having said that, the safety isn't bad. It's activation/deactivation is crisp and tactile.
-I'm not a big fan of the plastic plates. I'm sure they're fine but I really dislike how much the hang over the slide. Probably just an esthetic thing but it's going to require me to either slightly modify the plate or a couple of my EDC holsters. I think when I can acquire a CHPWS plate it will be a non-issue.

Overall, I really like the features S&W put into this pistol and I'm glad it's finally available. I'm really looking forward to putting it to work and trying to decide what optic to use.

I need me some of that.

GJM
11-12-2020, 11:46 AM
I need me some of that.

Me, too. BTW, the C and H Boom guys said a 509T CORE plate is about a month out.

JM Campbell
11-12-2020, 12:05 PM
Me, too. BTW, the C and H Boom guys said a 509T CORE plate is about a month out.

Best news all day so far. Thanks.

mmc45414
11-23-2020, 09:09 AM
Am revisiting the idea again:
https://www.primaryarms.com/smith-and-wesson-mp9-ported-slide-assembly-5in

I previously abandoned the idea when the kits were $340 and new M&Ps were $410 and milling was $160, but now the CORE guns are $700 and this kit could drop onto the M&P40 that already has a Apex trigger. Does anybody have any experience with them? I guess it would be a 1.0 9mm, I cannot really speak to any prior experience with 1.0 9mm (in?)accuracy because before I shot mine much it got an Apex barrel. I know if I actually do the math the $700 gun is a great deal, but I already have the M&P40 sitting here, and a buttload of magazines and several thousand rounds of ammo that I could save for a rainy day.

Just running this up the flagpole to see if anybody else has any knowledge, cause like Emil Faber said, Knowledge Is Good.

GJM
11-27-2020, 05:46 PM
At the range just now, something looked funny during a string.

Got home and found this:

That was with an OEM plate.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
11-27-2020, 07:30 PM
At the range just now, something looked funny during a string.

Got home and found this:

That was with an OEM plate.

Any idea on how many rds. down range w/ this plate?

GJM
11-27-2020, 07:39 PM
Any idea on how many rds. down range w/ this plate?

YVK asked me the same thing, and my best guess is 5-10K, but I can’t be certain as I have four of them. This is my main match pistol. I frequently check the screws for tightness, and did before and after the match last weekend. Guess I get to see how Smith handles this — not sure if they will drill out the sheared screws, provide a new slide, or tell me to go pound sand.

rca90gsx
11-27-2020, 08:46 PM
How many inch-lbs was the torque? Two different break types it looks like in the picture. Sorry to see that, a good machine shop will have you back up in no time!

YVK asked me the same thing, and my best guess is 5-10K, but I can’t be certain as I have four of them. This is my main match pistol. I frequently check the screws for tightness, and did before and after the match last weekend. Guess I get to see how Smith handles this — not sure if they will drill out the sheared screws, provide a new slide, or tell me to go pound sand.

SoCalDep
11-27-2020, 09:04 PM
Is your OEM plate plastic? If so, what does it (specifically the bosses) look like?

Duke
11-27-2020, 09:06 PM
Is your OEM plate plastic? If so, what does it (specifically the bosses) look like?

deleted