PDA

View Full Version : AR lower parts kit.

RobG
06-06-2012, 05:10 PM
I am starting my first AR build and need some advice on AR lower parts kits. I have heard great things about the kits from Daniel defense and G and R tactical. Both of those kits are out of stock and at least 6 months away. DPMS and CMMG kits are available now. This is going into a Noveske gen 2 receiver that will be registered as an SBR. I am still waiting on the form 1, so I do have some time to wait if need be.

What is the best kit out there, and is the difference worth the wait? OBTW, I called Noveske and they are currently using parts from DPMS.

orionz06
06-06-2012, 05:38 PM
I have installed LPK's from Palmetto State Armory with success. I do not know who their supplier is but I do know I have had quirks with DPMS kits, Stag kits, and CMMG kits. None with PSA's kits. Likely just like though as I am willing to bet they are one of the other 3 mentioned.

RobG
06-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Would Palmetto State Armory be your first choice on a new build? Do you have any experience with G and R tactical, or Daniel Defense?

orionz06
06-06-2012, 06:20 PM
I would not run away from it. What are you doing with the gun and why are you building it over buying it?

RobG
06-06-2012, 06:34 PM
I am building the lower as an SBR to mate with a 10" Noveske 300 AAC rogue hunter. I bought the stripped lower to as the easiest path through the NFA hoops. When I am done, I plan to shoot the hell out of it in every venue possible. I am looking for a kit that will be GTG for the next 1 bazillion rounds.

WDW
06-06-2012, 06:44 PM
You will not go wrong with the DD kit. I have done several lower builds with them and I love them. They can sometimes be found in local gun stores when out of stock online.

JB326
06-06-2012, 11:51 PM
I've dealt a lot with a company here in AL that has some pretty reputable LPK's that he puts together himself, I believe for $70. He primarily stocks Noveske and DD stuff, so he is not a "bottom feeder" kind of shop. His company is Quality Precision Rifleworks, and I think* the site is that plus .com .

(I am in no way affiliated with QPR other than I recently spent a couple of grand with them and Jerry is an exceptionally nice guy to deal with.)

JMS
06-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Do you have any experience with G and R tactical, or Daniel Defense?

Both. Very consistent and equal in terms of "Which...?" when it comes to sourcing an LPK, to me. I describe the G&R kit as "...as way to get LMT lower-parts without having to buy 200 of each component at a time." Availability CAN be a kicker, though, for both; they go quick.

I'd go with PSA over BM/RRA/CMMG. Whomever it is PSA's sourcing their parts from seems to have their head screwed on straight. The level of incidence I've had of bolt catches breaking, detent springs turning to mush, plus random fitment isues among the latter...I'll buld a lower with whatever LPK I get handed, but whenever I can influence what I'm gonna get handed, it's not gonna be the dregs if I can help it.

Al T.
06-07-2012, 11:36 AM
PSA is having a sale...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/psa-acs-l-lower-build-kit-black.html?utm_source=AR-15+Rail+Sale&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

I hear good things about the kits from much more knowledgeable folks. I'm more of a user myself.

Suvorov
06-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Lots of debate/discussion about LPKs over at m4carbine.net. Do a search over there if you want to know how the "sausage is made"

I've used CMT, DD, and Palmetto LPKs over the past couple years. I had a couple issues with CMT kits (disconnect not releasing), but I was pleased overall with the DD and Palmetto kits. The only gripes about both the DD and Palmetto kits was that the triggers were fairly draggy and had a bit too much creep for me. I fixed that problem with an aftermarket trigger.

For me, the price point of the PSA kits make them hard to pass up. If you want more peace of mind, then go with the DD.

orionz06
06-07-2012, 12:09 PM
I am building an NRA Highpower AR. Gonna grab a PSA A2 build kit for it, why not? Gonna use a different trigger though, probably one of the ALG or whatever brand they are triggers.

MEH
06-07-2012, 01:05 PM
You might as well do it now and get the Geissele trigger. You'll end up with one eventually if you get serious about the HP game.

orionz06
06-07-2012, 01:17 PM
It's the principle. Stock or modified stock.

Suvorov
06-07-2012, 01:42 PM
I am building an NRA Highpower AR. Gonna grab a PSA A2 build kit for it, why not? Gonna use a different trigger though, probably one of the ALG or whatever brand they are triggers.

I recently replaced my PSA lower trigger with an ALG trigger. It was a definite improvement over any stock LPK trigger I have ever installed. That said, it still isn't as crisp as the stock trigger on my M&P15A :confused:

But the $40 for the PSA LPK and another $40 for an ALG trigger seems like a pretty good and fairly economical way to go about building up a lower. All of the issues I've been hearing about regarding PSA's ARs have been related to assembly and not poor parts quality.

RobG
06-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to go with the PSA kit.