PDA

View Full Version : Best option for current, off-the-shelf 3" .357? King Cobra vs 66 vs Ruger vs Kimber?

RAM Engineer
08-04-2020, 12:33 PM
See title. I'm looking at options for a NEW off-the-shelf 3 inch-ish .357 wheelgun. I don't have a strong preference one way or the other regarding adjustable sights. I DO have a preference for reliability & durability. Price is not a consideration right now, but I'm not looking for Korth/Manurhin prices. I'm also not interested in the used market right now.

Here are the guns I'm weighing:

Colt King Cobra (approx $1k on Gunbroker)
https://www.colt.com/detail-page/king-cobra-357

Smith & Wesson 66 Combat Magnum (approx $800 on GB)
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-66-combat-magnum

Ruger GP100 (approx $??? on GB)
https://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1752.html

Kimber (approx $950 on GB)
https://www.kimberamerica.com/k6s-da-sa-3-1

I've looked through the posts and see issues with almost all these options.

19852+
08-04-2020, 01:10 PM
A difficult choice for me if used is off the table. I love my S&W M13 3", I love it so much I found a 4" 13 to train. It's one of the last issues made before the hole. I can't stand the way the Kimber looks so even if for illogical reasons that one is out. I like the Colt but I've never handled one so that's a possibility. The Ruger is big and strong but a little heavy IMO. I like Smith revolvers a lot but in my experience the quality recently is hit or miss. My admittedly example of one, new Smith M67 was so bad I took it back to the dealer who offered to send it to Smith for me but I said no, I want my money back this thing can't be fixed. So, I would :

Look at and handle the Colt and the same for the Smith. I would ask the dealer if the Smith doesn't shoot straight can I bring it back for a full refund? I would compare the Ruger to the first two and ask myself if my uses for it were compatible with the weight and size.

For what it's worth..

JAH 3rd
08-04-2020, 01:42 PM
I have the model 13 with 3" barrel, blue, round butt, heavy barrel. It is a great revolver when you compare size with caliber. As for the models you have listed, I haven't tried any of them, so can't give an opinion. Good luck in your quest!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_13

kitchen's mill
08-04-2020, 02:17 PM
If your top priority is durability there might be only one choice on that list.

the following is dated, but the gp100 is at least as rugged as the old Ruger six series if not more so.

"US Customs and Border Patrol experience in the early 1980s S&W .357s typically required returning to factory for new extractor every 1500 rounds of 357 Magnum loads, while Rugers went 10,000 utilizing Remington and Winchester full charge .357 rounds with no repairs or parts replacements required. The associated lockwork on a Ruger Service Six, Speed Six or Security Six are hard all the way through and I’ve never heard of one going out of time in service. An endurance test I am personally aware of conducted at FLETC in the early 1980s, conducted by a Aberdeen Proving Ground Certified Small Arms Test Director (who I have known for many years) for the US Border Patrol and US Customs where six Ruger Service & Security Sixes digested 60,000 (10,000 ea) of full house 357 Magnum duty ammo (125 gr and 158 gr) without going out of time."

JAD
08-04-2020, 02:23 PM
OP: What is it for?

Hizzie
08-04-2020, 02:50 PM
Based on durability the GP100 would likely be the leader. The GP100 was designed at a time when hot 125gr Magnum ammo was rapidly destroying K frames. Old Bill Ruger was still in charge and insisted those guns have an insane service life of full power ammo.

Totem Polar
08-04-2020, 03:44 PM
The only downside to the Ruger, in light of the OP, is that it’s a chunky boat anchor, by way of comparison to the other choices.

Having owned 3 new Colt Cobras—including the 3” King; a 3” K6S, and numerous GP100s and K-frames over the years: if I was buying a 3” .357 to shoot a lot, from scratch, it would be a GP100 with the compact grip. TBH, the form factor of the WC 10mm is perfect—get that in .357, and call it a day.

JMO, but I’ve shot them all, more than once.

Now, EDC might be a different deal. The size/weight advantage of both the King and K6S is noticeable.

Stephanie B
08-04-2020, 05:27 PM
One used 3" G{100 up on GB (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875980981).

Salamander
08-04-2020, 06:33 PM
The only downside to the Ruger, in light of the OP, is that it’s a chunky boat anchor, by way of comparison to the other choices.

Having owned 3 new Colt Cobras—including the 3” King; a 3” K6S, and numerous GP100s and K-frames over the years: if I was buying a 3” .357 to shoot a lot, from scratch, it would be a GP100 with the compact grip. TBH, the form factor of the WC 10mm is perfect—get that in .357, and call it a day.

JMO, but I’ve shot them all, more than once.

Now, EDC might be a different deal. The size/weight advantage of both the King and K6S is noticeable.

The above is an excellent assessment. Here's what I'm able to add to it:

Agreed that the GP100 has the edge on durability. Mine is a 4-inch Match Champion so a little bigger than what you're looking for, however it's still not that hard to conceal. Mine was carried on a two day backcountry trip last week and at 38 oz it was never especially uncomfortable even over rough terrain, and in town on the way to/from it hid easily. The initially rough trigger has smoothed nicely over time. I've replaced the sights and the grip... limited choices on the latter being one downside. For a woods gun in a place with nothing bigger than black bear, this is one of my top choices in part because it will handle a wide range of magnum loads and because of reliability. Here on the coast where it never gets hot it's a full-time option, in places which are seasonally too warm for cover garments something smaller is easier to hide.

My 3-inch King Cobra is a lot more compact and a lot lighter than a GP, very easy to conceal. I like the factory grips which is rare for me. The trigger is light and smooth, although it takes a bit to get used to needing to ride it all the way forward to a full reset. The only thing holding this back as a choice is the sights, which I'm sure are fine for a 25-year old but not so much for anyone over 50. The front is easily changed but the rear trough needs to be just a little bit deeper and better defined, adding a thin line of matte paint around the rear edge was a step in the right direction. I've recently started to have the issue described by others where the ejector rod sticks on the knurls, silly design flaw which allegedly has been fixed by a slightly larger diameter rod on newer versions but I haven't checked. While mine has been reliable over several hundred rounds that's not enough to vouch for long term reliability. Accuracy is good up close but beyond 15 yards those sights really become inadequate. There's enough weight to handle modest magnum loads with ease, and heavier loads for a little while. For use primarily in town where 50-yard shots are unlikely, this can be a good choice because of the ease of concealability and light weight.

Smith & Wesson... I love old K-frames, but if used is off the table... new production S&W are pretty much a no-go for me. The silly lock and the absurdly heavy factory trigger pull on many variants, plus the QA/QC issues, not much more I need to say. If you're willing to do some work on the gun after acquisition maybe it's possible, but personally I prefer not to do too much of that to anything that's going to be carried. These days I pretty much only buy older S&W.

Kimber I can't speak to, have never tried one because I'm hopelessly biased by all their semi-auto's I've seen with problems on my RSO duty nights. Maybe not fair but it's kept me from even trying one.

jeep45238
08-04-2020, 06:34 PM
I'll pass on the Colt. I can take all of the Cobra's at the weekend job and with minimal pressure on the ejector rod it stays stuck with the rod's knurling stuck in the hole. These are all brand new, display models and back stock.

It's a simple manufacturing fix, but if they let something that critical go through design, R&D, manufacturing, and QA/QC, it doesn't give me confidence in any new Colt revolver until rectified at the factory.

Mark D
08-04-2020, 07:40 PM
I'll probably regret this*, but there's a 3" Ruger GP100 for sale right here on P-F by @awp_101 (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=15576)

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?43936-3-quot-357-GP100

*regret because I'm sorely tempted to buy this myself.

fatdog
08-04-2020, 07:45 PM
If the Smith were pre-lock it would get my vote, I have a 3" pre-lock 65, but I want nothing to do anymore with the lock models. I don't believe the Kimber is durable enough to be a real .357 (owned one, sold it off). I was unimpressed by the Cobra I owned, sold it, and also question its durability in general. So GP100 would be my choice (and I have one now).

OlongJohnson
08-04-2020, 08:04 PM
The only thing that hasn't been said is if you buy a new Ruger and it has to go back, you can reasonably expect it to be returned to you with problems corrected. My experience has been the opposite of that with S&W.

I have three Rugers and one S&W at the moment (which I still need to get around to unkittening after S&W warranty service screwed it up). I got rid of several other S&Ws in the past six months. The third Ruger was picked up from the FFL today. And I might get another Ruger this year.

My vote is GP100.

TQP
08-04-2020, 08:08 PM
I'll probably regret this*, but there's a 3" Ruger GP100 for sale right here on P-F by @awp_101 (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=15576)

Yes, someone please buy this one so I don't.

Thanks.

vaspence
08-04-2020, 08:11 PM
I just went through this debate myself wanting a 6 shot 3” .357 revolver. The 2.75” 66 really appeals to me but I got lucky last week and couldn’t do the paperwork quick enough when I saw this.

Excellent condition 2015 model.

Totem Polar
08-04-2020, 08:25 PM

There it is. Add a compact grip, some speedloaders, and a JMCK AIWB bit of kydex, and be done for +/- $650, all in.

Rex G
08-04-2020, 10:03 PM
Nothing from gun broker, personally. I cherry-pick revolvers, at the dealer.

I know nothing about the King Cobra or Kimber, except that neither has been in the wild, long enough, to establish enough of a track record, for my comfort zone.

I don’t do keyhole Smiths, if I plan to shoot anything more powerful than target wadcutters. I might cherry-pick a pre-keyhole 66.

That leave Rugers. Ruger’s QC has slipped, but CS should make it right. If I just had to buy a revolver, without first handling it, it would be a Ruger.

Ruger makes revolvers with factory grips that fit my hands. (Except for the ones with Hogue grips.) I reckon that this produces some level of personal bias.

03RN
08-04-2020, 10:50 PM
I have zero problems with rugers, colts, or kimbers and think all of those you listed are great guns.

I went with the 2.75" m66-8 for several reasons.
1. The new guns are beefier than the old so the older tests from the border patrol aren't really relevant. The new forcing cone is thicker as is the frame itself.
2. Same speedloaders and holsters as my m19
3. Better trigger. Back when i worked in a gunshop every single new S&W had a significantly better trigger than every new ruger. I smoothed out my internals and now its better than any pre lock gun Ive shot.
4. Size. The rugers are just a tad large for me. Im really tempted to start looking for a 3" 7 shot gp100 but they are just to big to replace my m66. Especially the speedloader. I accidentally grabbed one of stephs L frame speedloaders at a uspsa match. I loaded it up and stuck it in my pocket but i knew it wasnt a k frame loader by the time I got home. Its noticable.

The smaller guns are just to small for lots of magnum shooting for me.
The 66 handles full power magnums just fine

https://youtu.be/UE8lOJbI-Dg

Canyonrat
08-05-2020, 12:25 AM
Just pulled out my GP100 4” and ran about 50 rounds of .357 through and a little .38. I swapped it years ago to the rubber grips with wood inserts. Nothing I don’t like about that gun. Only way I can think it would be better is if it had a Prescott, AZ imprint on the side.

I have an old 66 S&W also, my first gun purchase ever from 1994. Glad to own it but it’s a .38 really, and wouldn’t buy the key-lock model on principle.

gato naranja
08-05-2020, 05:52 AM
Just pulled out my GP100 4” and ran about 50 rounds of .357 through and a little .38. I swapped it years ago to the rubber grips with wood inserts. Nothing I don’t like about that gun. Only way I can think it would be better is if it had a Prescott, AZ imprint on the side.

My timid re-entry into the revolver atmosphere has occurred in the form of a dead-common 4" stainless GP100 (the current model # is 1705).

Despite having previously abandoned big sixguns, some recent threads convinced me that I might actually have a need for a burly though not grotesquely large .357 revolver in the role of an old guy’s utility pistol. There would be no magazines to worry about and no fussing over round counts or replacing RSAs. As much as I once loved trad SA revolvers past logic "because history," this one needed to be double-action because a bobbled job of manually cocking the hammer in a hurry is not beneath my abilities. My old blued revolvers seemed to stay tight longer, but this one needed to be stainless because I have no idea what kind of conditions I might put the thing through. It had to be at least semi-friendly to disassemble and reassemble, with a minimum of special tools. Nothing could be so expensive or rare that it couldn’t be replaced. Not too short in the barrel, but not too long either. Indeed, I was looking for a “Goldilocks” .357… but with the caveat that Goldilocks would also be a cheap date. Having been around the block and down the alley with GP100s in the past, their quirks are familiar to me and I already had a school-of-hard-knocks frame of reference vis-à-vis what works for me – and perhaps more importantly, what does not – on a budget. I also wanted something that stood an even chance of a real fix if I ever had to send it back to its birthplace for something serious. Thus this “barely previously enjoyed” GP100.

Having used about every GP100 grip marketed to the masses, I had already whittled my grip choices down. Remaining in the contest were Hogue’s latest iteration of their “finger-grooveless” rubber grip, or a much-modified – and hideously ugly - Hogue standard rubber grip with the lower finger groove protrusion and bottom rear “heel” ground away on a sanding disc; the only other serious candidate would be Ruger’s “original style” factory compact grips which were tough to find at a reasonable price for a few years. Because the Hogues were - and are - a tad bulky for my idea of an all-purpose GP100, I went with the factory compacts, which may look like mere truncations of the full-size counterparts… but brothers and sisters, this grip option’s total is a bit more than the sum of its parts. Perfect? No. Pretty dang good, though, assuming your hand meshes with it.

The original factory GP100 “plunger retained” front sight has always been an abomination to me, the smooth, shallow slope of the rear face reflecting all the ambient light in the vicinity and turning the thing into a useless, gray suggestion most of the time. The factory accessory red insert version of same has never been much better for me – more on that below– so I had previously used an XS 24/7 (standard) dot, and while it was a decent quick, short-range choice, it made longer distance shooting a tad problematic. Because my machine shop access is now nonexistent and I could not make my own McGivern-style gold bead (hiring it done violates the “inexpensive” imperative of this whole dealio), I got a Dawson Precision. 270” H, .125” W fiber optic front blade. It works with the factory rear and is light years ahead of the factory front.

(In Ned Beatty’s stern, terse voice from “Raiders of the Lost Ark”: “LIGHT. YEARS.”)

The red insert version of the Ruger front sight may be less underwhelming for other people. I have had some eye issues over last two decades that have kicked the crap out of my vision, and one of the problems is that my color perception has been undergoing a continual, but subtle shift. I have developed a preference for green fiber optics because they “pop” better for me than the equivalent red; this was not necessarily the case when FO sights first came to my attention. I should note that there was a bit of filing that had to be done on the Dawson front sight to fit it to this particular revolver. It took about an hour of fiddling with a needle file and applying some Brownell’s Oxpho-Blue, and while it was not my best example of workmanship, the sight is fitted well enough that I called it good. Whoever gets the gun at my estate sale can file on the sight some more if they are more OCD than me.

The GP100 of this essay has been “smoothed” a bit in a low-key manner only because doing so is easy and inexpensive; “deburred” is probably the more appropriate term. In my experience, Rugers will often perk right up with nothing more than what amounts to removing obvious burrs, getting a thorough cleaning and an application of proper lubrication. I have installed a 12# Wolff hammer spring in this one for now, though I may go back to the factory spring if everything slicks up a bit after more use. I am always conflicted about pull weight versus lock time and realize that I may never actually be able to have my kibble and eat it too. The trigger return and latch spring is a 10# Wolff, based on my earlier use of that spring in long-gone GP100s; this is also subject to change.

Why did I not obtain a Match Champion GP100 (other than initial low cost and instant availability of this particular specimen)? Mostly because the barrel on this GP has a full lug; my tolerance for recoil has been diminishing with age. The MC has a better front sight, generally a better action out of the box and chamfered charge holes in the cylinder, along with the “Wiley Clapp” cylinder taper… all are nice touches that improve the GP100 procedurally (though I personally dislike tapered cylinders). The wood grips, I do not care for… although they do LOOK nice, I would change them out immediately. If I were still a young buck, I would probably get a Match Champion, learn to embrace the recoil, change the grips and try to curb my instincts to tinker with what ain’t broken. If TALO or Lipsey’s had commissioned a run of Match Champions with full-lug barrels and compact rubber grips, I’d probably have succumbed.

Everything I need and nothing I don’t, without fancy or expensive modifications. The simplest interface I can ask for short of childhood cap pistols. Will set off ammunition of a bewildering variety of bullet styles and power levels as long as it fits in the cylinder… from powder-puff LWC .38 Specials to flinch-inducing stiff .357 Magnums, shot cartridges inclusive.

We shall see if one prticular tired old cat has finally acquired enough common sense to keep this kind of revolver around.

swampyank33
08-05-2020, 07:01 AM
I've had a 2.75" m66 for about a year now, and have carried it and shot it quite a bit. It has been excellent, and has exhibited none of the QC issues that I read it may have. I do think of it more as a .38+P gun, as the Pachmayr Compac Pro grips I have on it are pretty awful to shoot with magnum loads but conceal well for me.
I also have a recently acquired WC GP100, the matte blue model. The trigger is pretty awful currently, heavy and gritty, so I guess I'll have to get inside and see if cleaning and polishing some surfaces make a significant difference, and shoot the heck out of it. The trigger on my 66 is much better.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

awp_101
08-05-2020, 08:04 AM
Short of abuse, using the wrong powder or trying to use it for launching tactical nukes it’s hard to tear up a GP.

jh9
08-05-2020, 08:27 AM
really tempted to start looking for a 3" 7 shot gp100

I still want one of these:

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1782.html

Even though I should know better.

Was there ever a fix for the initial run of their 7 shot cylinders being too small for some cases with .440" rims? I've seen yes then no then maybe and never followed up. That's been a couple years now so I assume they've got it sorted out.

OlongJohnson
08-05-2020, 10:11 AM
There is a thread or two around here somewhere, and several mega-threads on the various Ruger forums. My understanding is that if someone had a problem and sent it back, the fix was that Ruger would offer them an exchange for a six shooter. So you either are willing to manage your ammo to not have an issue, or you live with a six shooter. I have read nothing of shifting the PCD of the chambers larger, which is the only engineering-based fix that would accommodate all ammo.

jtcarm
08-05-2020, 12:32 PM
the matte blue model. The trigger is pretty awful currently, heavy and gritty, so I guess I'll have to get inside and see if cleaning and polishing some surfaces make a significant difference, and shoot the heck out of it. The trigger on my 66 is much better.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

My MC is the smoothest DA trigger I’ve ever encountered on a Ruger, but it’s still longer and not as consistent as my Smiths.

I found I had to commit to practicing with it exclusively for several weeks and quit running back to my K frames before I could shoot it as well. My splits are probably a hair slower but I can shoot the Super Drill just as well.

I also had to add shims to the hammer and hammer dog. The later had a ton of play and adding the shims really improved the trigger.

Stephanie B
08-05-2020, 12:38 PM

Jeebus. If I hadn't dropped six bills on a Model 14 ten days ago, I might be all over this.

Chuck Whitlock
08-05-2020, 03:23 PM
Jeebus. If I hadn't dropped six bills on a Model 14 ten days ago, I might be all over this.

I did the same thing yesterday on a Springfield Champion, or I'd have beat you to it.

vtfarmer
08-06-2020, 08:04 AM
There is a thread or two around here somewhere, and several mega-threads on the various Ruger forums. My understanding is that if someone had a problem and sent it back, the fix was that Ruger would offer them an exchange for a six shooter. So you either are willing to manage your ammo to not have an issue, or you live with a six shooter. I have read nothing of shifting the PCD of the chambers larger, which is the only engineering-based fix that would accommodate all ammo.
Starting in December 2018, Ruger did move the location of the chambers outward in the cylinder. There hasn't been a large number of reports from buyers since then, certainly no more than ten. A few of the early reports gave cylinder measurements of : outside diameter 1.550", outside chamber wall .075". The cylinder diameter on my early run 7 shot is 1.545", outside chamber wall .085". So it appears that Ruger enlarged the cylinder .010", and moved the chambers outward .015" to create more rim space. That's not a lot of movement, but the small number of reports since have been positive. I confess I've been fighting the urge to buy another, current production gun for a while now. Measure and compare side by side. Sort out some cases of .440" max diameter and see if they do fit. I suspect I'll have a weak moment this fall.

jh9
08-06-2020, 08:42 AM
Starting in December 2018, Ruger did move the location of the chambers outward in the cylinder. There hasn't been a large number of reports from buyers since then, certainly no more than ten. A few of the early reports gave cylinder measurements of : outside diameter 1.550", outside chamber wall .075". The cylinder diameter on my early run 7 shot is 1.545", outside chamber wall .085". So it appears that Ruger enlarged the cylinder .010", and moved the chambers outward .015" to create more rim space. That's not a lot of movement, but the small number of reports since have been positive. I confess I've been fighting the urge to buy another, current production gun for a while now. Measure and compare side by side. Sort out some cases of .440" max diameter and see if they do fit. I suspect I'll have a weak moment this fall.

Normally I'd be concerned about getting old stock with the narrower cylinder but I guess that's not really a problem right now...

gato naranja
08-06-2020, 07:36 PM
My timid re-entry into the revolver atmosphere has occurred in the form of a dead-common 4" stainless GP100 (the current model # is 1705).

The guilty party from #20 with two other "utilitarian" objects.

medmo
08-07-2020, 09:02 AM
If I’m strictly applying your rules of “off the shelf” and “NEW” I’d recommend taking a hard look at the K6s with the only addition being the new Hogue bantam grips. Though the other revolvers on the list are excellent, each of them would require me to do some fine tuning for my preference. The K6s comes “off the shelf” with sight options and a super slick action. For me, the K6s shoots like a larger framed revolver with the Hogue grips.

If you plan on running a “torture test” sized round count of max pressure magnums then the GP100 would get the nod.

If you didn’t mind investing in enhancements, don’t intend on running solely max pressure magnum loads, the S&W K frame might be the top runner with a smooth and tune action job, aftermarket grips and upgraded sights.

UNK
08-09-2020, 08:54 PM
If I’m strictly applying your rules of “off the shelf” and “NEW” I’d recommend taking a hard look at the K6s with the only addition being the new Hogue bantam grips. Though the other revolvers on the list are excellent, each of them would require me to do some fine tuning for my preference. The K6s comes “off the shelf” with sight options and a super slick action. For me, the K6s shoots like a larger framed revolver with the Hogue grips.

If you plan on running a “torture test” sized round count of max pressure magnums then the GP100 would get the nod.

If you didn’t mind investing in enhancements, don’t intend on running solely max pressure magnum loads, the S&W K frame might be the top runner with a smooth and tune action job, aftermarket grips and upgraded sights.

Can you upgrade the sights? Is there anybody making sights? I ask because I had a pro series j frame and my plan goi g into it was put a bigger notch blade on the rear but there isnt any available.

medmo
08-09-2020, 10:39 PM
Can you upgrade the sights? Is there anybody making sights? I ask because I had a pro series j frame and my plan goi g into it was put a bigger notch blade on the rear but there isnt any available.

For the K frame S&Ws with a pinned front sight there are plenty of options. I don’t think there are for the J frame Pro series.

Stephanie B
08-10-2020, 11:32 AM

Not to mention that I'm dropping about a kilobuck on critter dental work later this week... :mad:

Borderland
08-10-2020, 12:43 PM
I've found that 3 inch .357 revolvers can be very accurate. I have a 2.5'' model 19 smith that shoots very well at 25 yards and actually it's decent at 50 yards. Most people would laugh at that but that's my experience with my 19. For that reason I would recommend adjustable sights. Of course if it's to be a carry you would wouldn't need or want those.

Ruger seems to be way ahead of the revolver game these days and their support is exceptional. The older K frame smiths are very desirable and people snap up those 19's and 66's up pretty fast. I think they're a little light for heavy factory loads tho. I have several and load down to about 900 fps using fast powder to keep them in top condition.

I would caution you about new smiths. Most people who know won't buy those, including me. I have a bunch of older ones and I prefer those to Rugers, but new it would have to be a Ruger.

4" GP-100 would be a very good choice because of the adj. sights if you shoot a lot. Otherwise the 3" would be more desirable IMO. 4" w/ adj sights is truly the sweet spot for revolvers.

Grizzly
08-11-2020, 04:58 PM
The light weight of the Kimber makes it an everyday carry for me. Many don't mind the extra weight of the other choices but I'd much prefer the lighter weight on the belt of the Kimber. As others have said though, it depends on what you want to use it for.

awp_101
08-11-2020, 05:41 PM
Not to mention that I'm dropping about a kilobuck on critter dental work later this week... :mad:

That’s why they make soft pet food...;)

blues
08-11-2020, 05:46 PM
That’s why they make soft pet food...;)

https://memegenerator.net/img/images/7910926.jpg

"The hell you say!"

awp_101
08-11-2020, 05:51 PM
https://memegenerator.net/img/images/7910926.jpg

"The hell you say!"

“All-Pet - Now with extra Ensure!”

Stephanie B
08-11-2020, 06:07 PM
I would caution you about new smiths. Most people who know won't buy those, including me.

I think 03RN would disagree. He has a pretty nice newish Model 66, I believe.

There are two newish Model 60s in my household (-13 and -15), both 3". They've been reliable guns, though they're not really range toys.

Borderland
08-11-2020, 06:23 PM

There are two newish Model 60s in my household (-13 and -15), both 3". They've been reliable guns, though they're not really range toys.

I have a reliable 625-8. That's about all I can say about it. I almost cry when I compare the quality to a 19-3.

But it's all just a matter of what one needs a revolver to do. We aren't talking about Rolex watches here. :D

03RN
08-11-2020, 06:47 PM

I think most people "in the know" pass on new smiths because they dont want the soul to leak out of the hole.

Quality wise? I have 5 other pre lock smiths and the 2.75" m66-8 has the best trigger and is the most accurate.

When i was working in a gunstore/range the prelock rentals saw a lot of rounds and we seldom had people bring the new ones back with issues.

I dont think their QC is any worse than beretta or ruger with their customer service somewhere in the middle.

Spartan1980
08-11-2020, 07:59 PM
3" MR73 here if you dare (https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876384972)

It's got a goodly amount of carry wear but may go at a somewhat reasonable price. Currently $1160.

I posted this in the above linked thread by accident.

Baldanders
08-14-2020, 01:20 PM
Little to add, but after trying a 3" fixed sight GP a few months back, I would have no hesitation in buying one for anything except maybe for carry. It tames full-power .357 better than even a 4" 686, IMO. Heck, it tames recoil better than my 4" Trooper MKIII of similar weight.

Salamander
08-14-2020, 06:47 PM
I have a reliable 625-8. That's about all I can say about it. I almost cry when I compare the quality to a 19-3.

But it's all just a matter of what one needs a revolver to do. We aren't talking about Rolex watches here. :D

That's a good point. My 625-9 is reliable and accurate and occasionally gets carried in the backcountry. My 19-3 is much prettier, which is why it lives in the safe and hardly ever goes to the range (I have a beat up old 19-5 for that).

The way I'd phrase it is that I'd be hesitant to buy a new S&W without being able to hold it and examine it first, because I've seen more than a few clocked barrels and other issues on store shelves. On the other hand my M&P 340 no-lock was purchased new several years ago and runs fine, and I keep being tempted by that Model 66 2.75-inch, just haven't seen one on the shelf yet locally.

Borderland
08-14-2020, 07:13 PM
I think most people "in the know" pass on new smiths because they dont want the soul to leak out of the hole.

Quality wise? I have 5 other pre lock smiths and the 2.75" m66-8 has the best trigger and is the most accurate.

When i was working in a gunstore/range the prelock rentals saw a lot of rounds and we seldom had people bring the new ones back with issues.

I dont think their QC is any worse than beretta or ruger with their customer service somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, you might as well have a Tokarev. :D

HCM
08-15-2020, 01:36 AM
Yeah, you might as well have a Tokarev. :D

Tokarevs are for making souls leak out of the back of the head. Usually at the edge of a ditch.

gato naranja
08-21-2020, 08:45 AM
As a follow-up to my earlier post(s), a short addition on "general purpose" holsters for my "general purpose" revolver...

I wanted an OWB holster that would allow me to wear strong-side or cross-draw, and I wanted a hammer strap. The latter might be an old guy thing, but whaddaya gonna do? The two tried so far are a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake and a DeSantis Dual Angle Hunter; the former is recent, the latter has been on gn's island of forgotten holsters since the Great Revolver Purge.

While I like the idea of the Sourdough, the thing is huge. "It's like a planetoid... has it's own weather system..." Nice, thick leather, and acres of it. It is dandy as a chest rig if you have a harness that will accommodate it, but it slops over my own subjective size limit on a belt holster. Bigger cats than me (a paunchy 5' 9-1/2") may find it more to their liking.

The Dual Angle Hunter is much more trim, but the leather of the belt loop is depressingly thin.

After some walking about with both of them, I will say that both do work, though the DeSantis is far more useful as a cross-draw rig for me due to the more "horizontal" orientation of the gun due to the belt loop configuration and resulting angles thereof. The Sourdough covers the trigger, a feature I have come to prefer but am not insistent upon. So, much to my chagrin, I remain on the hunt for the right utility holster for my utility sixgun.*

*Anyone out there ever use a Galco Switchback with a GP100? If so, speak into my good ear and tell me about it. I am not a leather snob, and actually used to like nylon holsters for hunting and woodswalking. There. I said it. Flame away.

Chuck Whitlock
08-22-2020, 09:32 PM
As a follow-up to my earlier post(s), a short addition on "general purpose" holsters for my "general purpose" revolver...

the DeSantis is far more useful as a cross-draw rig for me due to the more "horizontal" orientation of the gun due to the belt loop configuration and resulting angles thereof. The Sourdough covers the trigger, a feature I have come to prefer but am not insistent upon. So, much to my chagrin, I remain on the hunt for the right utility holster for my utility sixgun.*

These features are combined in the Bianchi 111 Cyclone.

https://safariland.com/collections/holsters/products/model-111-cyclone-belt-holster-10814

HeavyDuty
08-22-2020, 11:56 PM

I’m rather fond of my 3” K6s, and I wasn’t aware that the rubber Bantams were finally out. I’ll have to track a set down, no one other than Hogue has them in stock right now that I can find.

gato naranja
08-23-2020, 07:17 AM
These features are combined in the Bianchi 111 Cyclone.Good suggestion! I will keep the 111 under consideration, though I am not too sure I want to feed my paranoia about "suede" linings. Rightly or wrongly, that was the reason the DeSantis had been banished to the island, although nowadays the exposed triggerguard would probably put it there. There was a time when ignorance was bliss and I got along fine with a suede lined holster... until my betters around the pre-internet, pot-bellied gun shop stove convinced me that I would wear my guns into oblivion with them ("Keep using that suede lined holster and you'll grind that Blackhawk into a Single-Six."). I never did have a suede lined holster do the kind of damage that a Wehrmacht-issue hardshell holster could do to a bring-back P-08, but the negative vibes took root and stayed there.

(Hard and fast genuine desecration to a gun finish did not befall me until I started using a kydex holster. That was a short but damned steep learning curve.)

The 111 and the Galco Phoenix have suede on the inside and look nice; the Galco DAO is unlined, but is to holster aesthetics what French bombers of the early 1930s were to aircraft.* In keeping with the all-purpose utility gun and off-the rack/shelf aspect, all are relatively affordable and have the strong side/crossdraw potential like the DeSantis Dual Angle Hunter... and while I prefer a thumb break to a safety strap that snaps onto the body of the rig, the latter is not a deal-breaker.

*Considering what I look like in the mirror these days, maybe I should give the Galco DAO a break.

medmo
08-23-2020, 11:01 AM
I’m rather fond of my 3” K6s, and I wasn’t aware that the rubber Bantams were finally out. I’ll have to track a set down, no one other than Hogue has them in stock right now that I can find.

I ordered mine directly from Hogue and got them pretty quick. They are perfect for me and eliminate the sting when shooting toasty magnum loads.

BillSWPA
08-23-2020, 11:48 AM
Good suggestion! I will keep the 111 under consideration, though I am not too sure I want to feed my paranoia about "suede" linings. Rightly or wrongly, that was the reason the DeSantis had been banished to the island, although nowadays the exposed triggerguard would probably put it there. There was a time when ignorance was bliss and I got along fine with a suede lined holster... until my betters around the pre-internet, pot-bellied gun shop stove convinced me that I would wear my guns into oblivion with them ("Keep using that suede lined holster and you'll grind that Blackhawk into a Single-Six."). I never did have a suede lined holster do the kind of damage that a Wehrmacht-issue hardshell holster could do to a bring-back P-08, but the negative vibes took root and stayed there.

(Hard and fast genuine desecration to a gun finish did not befall me until I started using a kydex holster. That was a short but damned steep learning curve.)

The 111 and the Galco Phoenix have suede on the inside and look nice; the Galco DAO is unlined, but is to holster aesthetics what French bombers of the early 1930s were to aircraft.* In keeping with the all-purpose utility gun and off-the rack/shelf aspect, all are relatively affordable and have the strong side/crossdraw potential like the DeSantis Dual Angle Hunter... and while I prefer a thumb break to a safety strap that snaps onto the body of the rig, the latter is not a deal-breaker.

*Considering what I look like in the mirror these days, maybe I should give the Galco DAO a break.

My understanding from a holster maker is that suede is almost invariably chrome-tanned, and that vegetable-tanned leather is less damaging to the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gato naranja
08-23-2020, 12:15 PM
My understanding from a holster maker is that suede is almost invariably chrome-tanned, and that vegetable-tanned leather is less damaging to the gun.

I have heard similar. Historically, the tanning processes used around the world have used some pretty nauseating concoctions over the years, be they animal, vegetable or mineral. This cat never stores a pistol in a leather holster, so I am not sure if my use of a suede-lined holster would result in long-term consequences from a chemical reaction. But I don't know if it WOULDN'T, either.

Lester Polfus
08-23-2020, 02:25 PM
I have a Cyclne for my GP100 and like it very much. It is not suede lined.

HCM
08-23-2020, 03:22 PM

I wanted an OWB holster that would allow me to wear strong-side or cross-draw, and I wanted a hammer strap. The latter might be an old guy thing, but whaddaya gonna do? The two tried so far are a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake and a DeSantis Dual Angle Hunter; the former is recent, the latter has been on gn's island of forgotten holsters since the Great Revolver Purge.

While I like the idea of the Sourdough, the thing is huge. "It's like a planetoid... has it's own weather system..." Nice, thick leather, and acres of it. It is dandy as a chest rig if you have a harness that will accommodate it, but it slops over my own subjective size limit on a belt holster. Bigger cats than me (a paunchy 5' 9-1/2") may find it more to their liking.

The Dual Angle Hunter is much more trim, but the leather of the belt loop is depressingly thin.

After some walking about with both of them, I will say that both do work, though the DeSantis is far more useful as a cross-draw rig for me due to the more "horizontal" orientation of the gun due to the belt loop configuration and resulting angles thereof. The Sourdough covers the trigger, a feature I have come to prefer but am not insistent upon. So, much to my chagrin, I remain on the hunt for the right utility holster for my utility sixgun.*

*Anyone out there ever use a Galco Switchback with a GP100? If so, speak into my good ear and tell me about it. I am not a leather snob, and actually used to like nylon holsters for hunting and woodswalking. There. I said it. Flame away.

I’ve used the Galco with a 4” N frame - no complaints.

gato naranja
08-23-2020, 05:50 PM
I have a Cyclne for my GP100 and like it very much. It is not suede lined.

The Bianchi 111? Dang old Safariland website said it was suede. I will see if an LGS has one for me to peruse.

Lester Polfus
08-23-2020, 07:50 PM
The Bianchi 111? Dang old Safariland website said it was suede. I will see if an LGS has one for me to peruse.

I bought it from this exact Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AVE5B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AVE5B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

The picture shows a 6", but it's for a 4" GP100. Comparing the pictures on Safariland Amazon sales pages with what they're actually selling could be a great drinking game.

That listing also says "suede lined" but I have the holster right here in front of me. It's from a single layer of thick cowhide, smooth side out, rough side in. There isn't a separate layer of leather for a liner.

I haven't ever used it cross-draw, but I really like it as a simple, no-frills strong side field holster.

medmo
08-23-2020, 10:32 PM
Around the ranch I tote my Kimber K6s in a Hunter J Frame 2” belt holster. It’s the vintage, legacy Hunter holster with the “snap off the belt design.” Wore it tonight when out watering the bees. Stopped off at the dry creek with 50 rounds of 158gr reload 38specs I brought a long. Reconfirmed why I really dig this Kimber revolver banging, clanging and double tapping steel plates successfully and effortlessly.

RAM Engineer
08-26-2020, 09:12 PM
Ok, I’ve narrowed it down to the new 2.75” 66 or the 3” King Cobra.

1. The Ruger is just two chonky for me and they don’t appear to have a 3” adjustable sight version available.

2. The Kimber...well I’ve been burned by Kimber a couple times too many.

3. Part of me wants the Colt just to reward them for daring to get back into a niche market. Too bad their 3” gun only has fixed sights.

4. The Smith really has all the features I want. If only it was made old world style... I’d plug the hole and get a trigger job done and maybe get a larger rear sight. New grips too.

This is really meant to be a jack-of-all-trades .357. A fun range gun that could be pressed into a vehicle gun or even CCW. What I would love is a pre-2004 Model 66 3” but I understand those are almost unobtanium.

Chuck Whitlock
08-26-2020, 11:53 PM
1. The Ruger is just two chonky for me and they don’t appear to have a 3” adjustable sight version available.

Also, Novak makes adjustable rears to retrofit on the WC models.

https://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9509

Mark D
08-27-2020, 12:04 AM

3. Part of me wants the Colt just to reward them for daring to get back into a niche market. Too bad their 3” gun only has fixed sights.

I've often wondered why Ruger, and now Colt, don't put adjustable sights on their shorter revolvers. The 3" versions of the GP100 and Colt Cobra are legit multi-purpose handguns, but the manufacturers insist on putting crappy sights on them.

(The Wiley Clapp version is the obvious exception, but it's not available in CA, so it's a moot point in my neck of the woods).

RAM Engineer
08-27-2020, 06:44 AM

7-shot, unfortunately. I would prefer a 6-shot.

Also, Novak makes adjustable rears to retrofit on the WC models.

https://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9509

That’s good to know. Thanks!

Stephanie B
08-27-2020, 07:09 AM
This is really meant to be a jack-of-all-trades .357. A fun range gun that could be pressed into a vehicle gun or even CCW. What I would love is a pre-2004 Model 66 3” but I understand those are almost unobtanium.

I saw a recent-model 2.75" 66 in a LGS last year for $600. I sort of wish that I had unhinged my wallet. But I didn't really need it.

03RN has one of those 2.75" 66s and I've seen him shoot it to good effect in a USPSA match.

03RN
08-27-2020, 07:33 AM
Ok, I’ve narrowed it down to the new 2.75” 66 or the 3” King Cobra.

2. The Kimber...well I’ve been burned by Kimber a couple times too many.

4. The Smith really has all the features I want. If only it was made old world style... I’d plug the hole and get a trigger job done and maybe get a larger rear sight. New grips too.

Thats really what I got my 66-8 for. It shoots like a full sized gun. It is kinda but carries like a much smaller gun.

RAM Engineer
08-27-2020, 08:37 AM
Thats really what I got my 66-8 for. It shoots like a full sized gun. It is kinda but carries like a much smaller gun.

Have you done any work on it? Any issues from the factory? If you've already posted on it, I'll search on your posts. Thanks!

Chuck Whitlock
08-27-2020, 09:24 AM
I've often wondered why Ruger, and now Colt, don't put adjustable sights on their shorter revolvers. The 3" versions of the GP100 and Colt Cobra are legit multi-purpose handguns, but the manufacturers insist on putting crappy sights on them.

(The Wiley Clapp version is the obvious exception, but it's not available in CA, so it's a moot point in my neck of the woods).

Ruger has a few.

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1774.html

https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/15707.html

Unfortunately for you, they are not available in CA, either.

7-shot, unfortunately. I would prefer a 6-shot.

The 6-shot version above has a 2.5" tube.

Mark D
08-27-2020, 09:49 AM
Ruger has a few.

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1774.html

Unfortunately for you, they are not available in CA, either.

I wasn't aware of those options, but both are nice.

RAM Engineer
08-27-2020, 10:16 AM

That SP101 is probably the most appealing revolver they make (to me). If they could squeeze 1 more round of .357 in there, I would buy one for sure.

deputyG23
08-27-2020, 11:33 AM
That SP101 is probably the most appealing revolver they make (to me). If they could squeeze 1 more round of .357 in there, I would buy one for sure.

Or even a .38 +P chambered six shot model would cause me to open my wallet..

RAM Engineer
08-27-2020, 12:14 PM
Or even a .38 +P chambered six shot model would cause me to open my wallet..

Yeah I'd be totally fine with that!

My problem with Ruger revolvers (other than the LCR) are the same with the original series of M&P pistols: Their size categories fall IN BETWEEN what my preferences are. Their GP is more like an L-frame than a K-frame. Their SP is bigger than a J-frame, but smaller than a K-frame. I understand that they are engineered to be durable given their manufacturing method (investment casting), but they are all either too big or too small for any application I would have.

Also, their full lug barrels are hideous. Glad they have a few half-lug options.

RevolverRob
08-27-2020, 02:11 PM
If someone wants an out-of-the-box 3" GP100 - I mean awp_101 has one for sale right now at a great price. It's begging for a set of Ruger Compact Grips and a good holster.

I doubt you'll find a better gun at a better price right now mid-'Rona.

*I have no affiliation with AWP_101 nor any vested interest in his gun selling. Except that hopefully someone here buys it and the damn thing stops tempting me.

Guerrero
08-27-2020, 02:18 PM
If someone wants an out-of-the-box 3" GP100 - I mean awp_101 has one for sale right now at a great price. It's begging for a set of Ruger Compact Grips and a good holster.

*I have no affiliation with AWP_101 nor any vested interest in his gun selling. Except that hopefully someone here buys it and the damn thing stops tempting me.

...aaaaaaand now *I* get to say, "One of us... One of us... One of us..."

RevolverRob
08-27-2020, 02:31 PM
...aaaaaaand now *I* get to say, "One of us... One of us... One of us..."

Way too late...This isn't even all of my revolvers...

Guerrero
08-27-2020, 02:43 PM
Way too late...This isn't even all of my revolvers...

Well, crap.

Chuck Whitlock
08-27-2020, 09:40 PM

Seriously!

If I hadn't just dropped six bills on a Springfield Champion from a buddy, I'd have been al over it. And the grandkids are coming to visit next month. But if it's still available after late October....

gato naranja
08-28-2020, 08:59 AM

At the top of your picture, there is the best "current, off-the shelf" .36 revolver (circa 1860). I gotta fess up- I love 1851 Colt Navies. I like the way the look, I like the way they balance and handle, I like the light recoil, and on, and on...

Deep down inside, I still retain the irrational notion that if I had two 1851 Navies on me, I could take care of myself and the rest of the litter.

Guerrero
08-28-2020, 09:17 AM
At the top of your picture, there is the best "current, off-the shelf" .36 revolver (circa 1860). I gotta fess up- I love 1851 Colt Navies. I like the way the look, I like the way they balance and handle, I like the light recoil, and on, and on...

Deep down inside, I still retain the irrational notion that if I had two 1851 Navies on me, I could take care of myself and the rest of the litter.

But, would you wear them butt-forward in a sash, Wild Bill Hickok style?

gato naranja
08-28-2020, 10:20 AM
But, would you wear them butt-forward in a sash, Wild Bill Hickok style?

No on the sash, yes on butts-forward in "slim jim" holsters.

There are sartorial limits past which I shall not go.

Stephanie B
08-28-2020, 11:16 AM

Wasn't there some guy in one of the gun rags a few years ago who wrote about handling a self-defense situation with a Navy because that's all he owned?

gato naranja
08-28-2020, 12:58 PM
Wasn't there some guy in one of the gun rags a few years ago who wrote about handling a self-defense situation with a Navy because that's all he owned?

Despite the fact that well-managed cap & ball revolvers are no less effective than they were during our last civil war, that would surprise me. The "it beats a sharp stick" argument sometimes depends on the stick.

Stephanie B
08-28-2020, 01:07 PM

Despite the fact that well-managed cap & ball revolvers are no less effective than they were during our last civil war, that would surprise me. The "it beats a sharp stick" argument sometimes depends on the stick.

I’ll try to find it.

Guerrero
08-28-2020, 01:17 PM

You're not hallucinating; I remember that, too.

Stephanie B
08-28-2020, 01:27 PM
You're not hallucinating; I remember that, too.

Found it. (https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/5/25/how-a-black-powder-revolver-saved-my-life/)

gato naranja
08-29-2020, 09:15 AM
Found it. (https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/5/25/how-a-black-powder-revolver-saved-my-life/)

Not what I expected, but what the hey.

I was reminded last night that the modern revolver that I most regret selling (a Ruger SP101 4.2" .357) was actually more comfortable for me with the standard Hogue RUBBER monogrip, not the special order Hogue WOOD monogrip. Somehow I got that bassackward early on and have kept it reversed. The wood monogrip only LOOKED better. Anyhow,I bring this up because that particular gun was one of the few modern revolvers that felt as lively and pointed as well for me as the 1851 Navies and similar cap and ball revolvers.

It became someone else's pet because it was a five-hole revolver that wasn't also a snubbie. I kind of regret that de-acquisition now, because it was really about perfect when worn OWB for walking around bottomland or just generally plinking with cheap ammo, while also being capable of tagging a bad quadruped or a worse biped. I do think the GP100 as I have set my slightly used one up is the better .357 of the two for an all-purpose wheelgun, but the GP is not a patch on the fanny of that particular SP when it comes to handling and recreational enjoyment. When five will do, that is a sweet little setup.

jh9
08-29-2020, 03:19 PM
It became someone else's pet because it was a five-hole revolver

I'm not opposed to someone correcting me that a six shot SP-101 is exactly what a K6 Kimber is. Mostly because it would save me money.

elsquid
08-29-2020, 06:51 PM

Keep in mind that the “single action exemption” allows for many offroster DA revolvers to be DROSed by non-exempt persons in CA.

Riflegear, for example, offers this service:

https://www.riflegear.com/t-sae.aspx

Q: What is a single-action exemption?
A: This exemption applies to a revolver that requires the hammer to be manually cocked by hand before each shot. The revolver must have a barrel at least 3" in length, an overall length of 7.5", and a cylinder that holds at least 5 rounds. RifleGear is able to convert many revolvers into a single-action configuration in order to meet this exemption.

Q: Is there a charge for a single-action conversion?
A: Yes, there is a nominal charge of $50 for single-action revolver conversions.

Q: Is the single-action conversion permanent?
A: There is no legal requirement that the conversion be permanent. After the 10 day waiting period and after the handgun has been signed out into your possession, it is legal for you to reverse the conversion and return the handgun into it's original double action configuration. RifleGear offers gunsmith services for single-action handguns.

— Michael

Mark D
08-30-2020, 12:14 AM
Keep in mind that the “single action exemption” allows for many offroster DA revolvers to be DROSed by non-exempt persons in CA.

Riflegear, for example, offers this service:

https://www.riflegear.com/t-sae.aspx

Q: What is a single-action exemption?
A: This exemption applies to a revolver that requires the hammer to be manually cocked by hand before each shot. The revolver must have a barrel at least 3" in length, an overall length of 7.5", and a cylinder that holds at least 5 rounds. RifleGear is able to convert many revolvers into a single-action configuration in order to meet this exemption.

Q: Is there a charge for a single-action conversion?
A: Yes, there is a nominal charge of $50 for single-action revolver conversions.

Q: Is the single-action conversion permanent?
A: There is no legal requirement that the conversion be permanent. After the 10 day waiting period and after the handgun has been signed out into your possession, it is legal for you to reverse the conversion and return the handgun into it's original double action configuration. RifleGear offers gunsmith services for single-action handguns.

— Michael

I had no idea. Thanks!

Fastmike
08-31-2020, 11:25 PM
I'm not opposed to someone correcting me that a six shot SP-101 is exactly what a K6 Kimber is. Mostly because it would save me money.

Not even in the same ballpark in my humble opinion. You need to dry fire a K6s. It is the best revolver trigger I have ever felt ( and I own a vintage Colt Python I bought new in 1981 ). Fit, finish, and cylinder lock up are far above Ruger standards also.

I do not hate Ruger, I own several, this is just my observation.

ralph
09-01-2020, 02:13 PM
I’ll try to find it.

Please do, I've no doubt the entertainment value of this article would be off the chart..

OlongJohnson
09-01-2020, 02:50 PM

As long as they both stay concealed, you can keep telling yourself that.

Not even in the same ballpark in my humble opinion. You need to dry fire a K6s. It is the best revolver trigger I have ever felt ( and I own a vintage Colt Python I bought new in 1981 ). Fit, finish, and cylinder lock up are far above Ruger standards also.

I have dry fired a K6S or two at an LGS. They were nothing special, IMO. My slicked up GP is a fair bit better.

HeavyDuty
09-01-2020, 04:06 PM

I do not hate Ruger, I own several, this is just my observation.

I tend to agree - I’ve never owned a SP101 but have fired many, and my K6s continues to impress the heck out of me.

Stephanie B
09-01-2020, 04:45 PM
Please do, I've no doubt the entertainment value of this article would be off the chart..

Look at post #84 for the link.

medmo
09-02-2020, 01:01 AM
As long as they both stay concealed, you can keep telling yourself that.

I have dry fired a K6S or two at an LGS. They were nothing special, IMO. My slicked up GP is a fair bit better.

Understood, but that’s a “slicked” up GP. The K6s factory, off the shelf trigger is exceptional when compared to other factory, off the shelf, current production, new DA revolvers per the OP. Since it’s basically a S&W design you can “slick” it up a wee bit more with a standard S&W smooth and tune treatment. Per the OP spec of “off the shelf” there isn’t another revolver that comes fresh out of the factory box with such a sweet action.

ralph
09-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Look at post #84 for the link.

Thanks!

Pol
09-03-2020, 04:56 PM
See title. I'm looking at options for a NEW off-the-shelf 3 inch-ish .357 wheelgun. I don't have a strong preference one way or the other regarding adjustable sights. I DO have a preference for reliability & durability. Price is not a consideration right now, but I'm not looking for Korth/Manurhin prices. I'm also not interested in the used market right now.

Here are the guns I'm weighing:

Colt King Cobra (approx $1k on Gunbroker)
https://www.colt.com/detail-page/king-cobra-357

Smith & Wesson 66 Combat Magnum (approx $800 on GB)
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-66-combat-magnum

Ruger GP100 (approx $??? on GB)
https://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1752.html

Kimber (approx $950 on GB)
https://www.kimberamerica.com/k6s-da-sa-3-1

I've looked through the posts and see issues with almost all these options.

Almost all manufacturers have so-so QA (if any at all) and buyers sometimes have issues. Potentially you could be one of those buyers no matter which gun you buy.

The Ruger is the larger of the revolvers on your list, which may be a positive or negative depending on your needs. My subjective opinion is the new King Cobra has the nicer trigger of the bunch. Bear in mind that given the subpar QA there will be variances in triggers between the same models rolling off the assembly line, so you could have a Lemon trigger.

Apologies for sounding negative, but given the (lack of) quality standards of firearms produced today I am.

One upside is that S&W has address the forcing cone issues on the K frame so the new mod 66 should be very robust.

gato naranja
09-04-2020, 12:42 PM

Following up on the follow-up, a Bianchi 111 Cyclone has been added to the gallery of "current, off-the-shelf" GP100 holsters, making it a trio so far. This 111 is, unfortunately, suede lined, which was disappointing but not entirely unexpected; not super-smooth suede, mind you... but if you ordered one described as suede-lined (even in teeny, tiny, kitten-sized fine print you had to hunt for... or somehow ignored), my guess is that it is going to show up with suede-lining.

I will give it props for a tight initial thumbstrap fit and clean lines (IIRC, Red Nichols designed this series). The crossdraw option is pretty good as far as the angle goes, and the leather itself is not too bad, considering. Any front sight blade over the standard 4" GP100 height might be problematic in this example. Of the three tried so far, this 111 may turn out to be the most cost-effective and "universal" of the lot, but nothing so far has leaped out in front. The nostalgic part of me tells me to settle on this one, possibly since the first "good" holsters I ever owned were 1970's Bianchis.

On the other hand, nostalgia has occasionally gotten my butt swatted with a rolled-up gun rag, metaphorically speaking.

RAM Engineer
11-05-2020, 05:27 PM

I meant to ask this earlier, but what grips are those? They look like the normal, classic "target grips", but round butt.

03RN
11-07-2020, 09:14 AM
I meant to ask this earlier, but what grips are those? They look like the normal, classic "target grips", but round butt.

Thai grips from ebay. I forget which seller