PDA

View Full Version : I cleaned my 22/45 the easy way.

LittleLebowski
07-31-2020, 12:05 PM
It was running like shit, I only shoot it suppressed and it was absolutely filthy. I took it apart to install the Volquartsen recoil spring upgrade (https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-spring-guide-rods/vs3-recoil-rod-spring-assembly-kit-mkii-mkiii-mkiv-22-45-prod104036.aspx) and the Volquartsen extractor and firing pin upgrade (https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/action-parts/firing-pin-parts/firing-pins/firing-pin-exact-edge-extractor-prod42233.aspx) which was money well spent.

Dropping everything into this ultrasonic cleaner (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCJ0N6O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) made life easy :D

https://youtu.be/ddRVSaozPIw

LittleLebowski
07-31-2020, 12:21 PM
This actually worked out well.

LittleLebowski
07-31-2020, 12:22 PM
It's not hard to tell which extractor is the Volquartsen.

farscott
07-31-2020, 12:31 PM
I am a huge Volquartsen fan and have more of their guns (pistols and rifles) and parts than I care to list. That being said, I find their best value parts to be the sear, hammer, hammer bushing, and trigger. Those parts will take a factory Ruger attorney-specified trigger pull and turn it into a crisp, light pull. I have not noted any differences with the factory Ruger extractor compared to the Volquartsen part on multiple pistols. My all-original 1961 Standard extracts and ejects just as well as my full-house Scorpions.

ArgentFix
07-31-2020, 12:57 PM
deleted

Paul D
07-31-2020, 01:15 PM
It's not hard to tell which extractor is the Volquartsen.

I need to get one of those ultrasonic cleaners. What do you use for the cleaning solution?

Nephrology
07-31-2020, 01:19 PM
I am surprised no Brakleen was involved

LittleLebowski
07-31-2020, 05:43 PM
I am surprised no Brakleen was involved

Actually, I tried a can and a half of that first, that Ruger was dirty! What you see in the video is after said can and a half of brake cleaner.

LittleLebowski
07-31-2020, 05:45 PM
I need to get one of those ultrasonic cleaners. What do you use for the cleaning solution?

Squirt of dish soap, hot water, turn the built in heater on, let it warm up, toss everything in. My wife loves the ultrasonic for her jewelry. This is my third ultrasonic, I usually buy the extended warranty, they don’t last forever, but are worth it.

Bruce Cartwright
07-31-2020, 05:59 PM
LittleLebowski:
Does the ultra sonic cleaner work on the 22 suppressor? 22 Long Rifle suppressors usually get filthy. I am specifically wondering if the ultra sonic system will remove lead from the baffles of a suppressor.
I am not looking to derail this thread and if this is covered elsewhere, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Bruce

Nephrology
07-31-2020, 06:36 PM
Actually, I tried a can and a half of that first, that Ruger was dirty! What you see in the video is after said can and a half of brake cleaner.

....Wow.

farscott
07-31-2020, 06:54 PM
The Ruger Standard pistols will run until they are extremely dirty. More than once, I have cleaned examples for people who are not comfortable with the field stripping and assembly process. The unwillingness to tear it down and the nature of rimfire ammo lead to a very filthy pistol. One pistol with a comp had so much lead in the comp that the comp looked like an extension of the bore. I cleaned it with an automotive shop's parts washer. There was so much debris packed into the firing pin channel and return spring that I am not sure how the pistol functioned. I ended up replacing the spring on that sample as I figured coil bind had shortened its life. The Ruger design, for all of its quirks, results in a reliable and durable pistol.

Grey
07-31-2020, 07:13 PM
I'm disappointed there wasnt an affiliate link...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Wyoming Shooter
07-31-2020, 07:17 PM
LittleLebowski:
Does the ultra sonic cleaner work on the 22 suppressor? 22 Long Rifle suppressors usually get filthy. I am specifically wondering if the ultra sonic system will remove lead from the baffles of a suppressor.
I am not looking to derail this thread and if this is covered elsewhere, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Bruce

My Hornady ultrasonic cleaner does "okay" on my Thunder Beast TD22. Some of the stubborn gunk remains. I resort to scraping off what's left. Best, ELN.

farscott
07-31-2020, 07:28 PM
I wish there was a version of the Volquartsen Lead Pulverizer for my suppressors. It makes quick work of cleaning the Volquartsen pistol comps. https://volquartsen.com/departments/mk_iv_parts/inventory_configurations/3882

LittleLebowski
07-31-2020, 08:09 PM
LittleLebowski:
Bruce

Depends on if the baffles are aluminum or not. Aluminum baffles in an ultrasonic are a no go.

LittleLebowski
07-31-2020, 08:09 PM
I'm disappointed there wasnt an affiliate link...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Forum software adds that.

BobM
07-31-2020, 08:32 PM
Any idea how many rounds it took to get that dirty? I usually clean my Ruger 22s just by locking the bolt open and using Qtips and picks and solvent to reach everything I can. Eventually of course I have to take one apart.

willie
07-31-2020, 08:48 PM
Kroil works nicely on dirty weapons. Let it soak after spraying, hit wit solvent, and then the ultrasonic has an easier task.

SecondsCount
07-31-2020, 09:50 PM
Ultrasonic cleaners are an awesome tool in the gun cleaning toolbox :cool:

LittleLebowski
07-31-2020, 10:48 PM
Kroil works nicely on dirty weapons. Let it soak after spraying, hit wit solvent, and then the ultrasonic has an easier task.

Brake cleaner beats Kroil; I’ve got both on the bench, and straight to ultrasonic is better than either.

willie
07-31-2020, 11:29 PM
Brake cleaner beats Kroil; I’ve got both on the bench, and straight to ultrasonic is better than either.

I never thought to clean my parts without treating them. The crud mixture from spraying must be retarding the process. My gismo is the cheapest of the cheap.

LittleLebowski
08-01-2020, 08:00 AM
I never thought to clean my parts without treating them. The crud mixture from spraying must be retarding the process. My gismo is the cheapest of the cheap.

I guess we’ll just agree to disagree.

MichaelD
08-01-2020, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the write-up, LL; I just added the cleaner to my "Shooting Stuff" wish list. Can't afford to impulse-buy a $90 item ATM.

willie
08-01-2020, 01:32 PM
I guess we’ll just agree to disagree.

No, I think you your technique may be better. Have not done it that way but will certainly try it.