PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a 40 cal

roadking
07-30-2020, 09:27 PM
Looking for recommendations for a 40 cal. I’m expanding my collection with a new caliber (presently have only 9mm’s) and the 40 seems to be a good close cousin. Also open to 45’s, but the ammo is lower cost for a 40. This would be for home defense and the range, so a full sized pistol is what I’m looking for. Would prefer something in the $400-$700 range. Open to either DA/SA or striker fired. And looking for something stock. Not looking for after market triggers and such.

Please don’t just say a brand. Tell me a model. And say why you recommend that one.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatdog
07-30-2020, 09:37 PM
HK USP40 full size, DA/SA or LEM whichever trigger you favor. It is very accurate, relatively inexpensive on the used gun market (at least before this crazyness), and the least recoil and muzzle flip of any .40 I have fired this side of an double stack racegun. It was designed around the cartridge.

TexasSiegfried
07-30-2020, 09:50 PM
I'll take a whack at it...please know that I've only been shooting and carrying for 5 years, so I am still a noob.

My suggestion is Sig SP2022 in .40. It is my current EDC and I own two. Originally designed for .40 cal, so it is not a souped up or hardened 9mm. Adopted by French and some other European Mil and LE, they have such a great record for reliability that they are now considered a "sleeper" and "boring" pistol. Not a great deal of aftermarket available, though magazines have been fairly easy to get, and while I haven't done it, I understand that most P series after market sights are compatible.

While it is a DA/SA gun, even I can shoot it with relative ease and accuracy. I should also say that for most of my time I have been carrying a P320 in 9mm, I have been on the SP2022 for a little over a year, thanks to the P320 issues. Initially, I was going to also acquire a couple of SP2022's in 9mm, but the .40 has been so accomodating, that I now think I will probably spend the money on ammo instead. Also, while I am (finally) sending in my P320's for the upgrade, I am strongly considering just staying on the SP2022 for the future.

As with everything from me, my opinion is worth what you paid for it, but at a common price of just $500 or below for the SP2022 in .40 with the usual two magazines, it is a great pistol.

Best of luck and fun in your search!

Gumby
07-30-2020, 10:08 PM
If not the 2022(my edc)then, the px4(my other edc). They were both built with the 40 in mind.

Gadfly
07-30-2020, 10:10 PM
The market is awash in used 229s. Under $400 for gun designed around the .40 round. Used mags are $10-15...
I am partial to the DAK variant, but I am weird.

Tons of used Glock 22s. The gen 4 tend to run better than the 3 due to to dual recoil spring set up. And 22 runs better than the 23 from what I have seen. Still, the 22/23 were not designed for the .40, they merely shoe horned the round into a 9mm pistol. So they are cheap, but that dog may have some fleas. My gen 4 has run fine, but my gen 3 broke locking block pins.

Berettas in.40 need to be a Brigadier slide or a storm. The regular 96 tend to eat locking blocks and crack slides (hence the need for a brig slide)

As mentioned above, HKs in .40 tend to run. USPc, USP, P2000 all worked well for us in .40.

Just my .02 cents

Bratch
07-30-2020, 10:24 PM
There have been lots of .40 M&P LE trades ins on the market that are a good deal and a good pistol.

OlongJohnson
07-30-2020, 10:27 PM
HK USP40 full size, DA/SA or LEM whichever trigger you favor. It is very accurate, relatively inexpensive on the used gun market (at least before this crazyness), and the least recoil and muzzle flip of any .40 I have fired this side of an double stack racegun. It was designed around the cartridge.

That's what I opened the thread to say. I picked mine up used a few years ago for a smokin' price. It works very well for me. I have gotten rid of all my other .40s except the USP Compact, which I should hurry up and sell so I can buy another USP9c when prices come back down.

I have put a few rounds downrange with an M11-A1 (railless P229 in 9mm) and it is noticeably harder on the hands than a P226. I probably wouldn't like it much in .40. Classic Sigs don't have the durability of a USP, which is likely to be exacerbated with .40 Short & Weak.

1slow
07-30-2020, 10:32 PM
HK USP: Full size, Tactical, Expert, built to be a.40 to begin with, not a bored out 9mm.

BobM
07-30-2020, 10:33 PM
I’m partial to the M&P40. I’ve been issued one and been an armorer on them since 2006. I’m currently using an M&P40 2.0C off duty.

1slow
07-30-2020, 10:37 PM
The M&P40 was built to be a .40 as well I believe.

Robinson
07-30-2020, 11:07 PM

I believe that is correct. I don't own one but I've fired one and was impressed with it.

Arbninftry
07-30-2020, 11:07 PM
2 -3 months ago most gun stores could not give them away. Now, I think you might be a little late, prices are way up. If you can find one, don't spend to much, they will go back down in price, one day.

Suvorov
07-30-2020, 11:11 PM
I’ve got a lot of rounds down range and time on my belt with the USP Compact LEM in .40. It is A solid gun that will suit your needs well. I would also extend the recommendation to the full sized USP but don’t really see what they offer that the excellent compact model does not. Gadfly also mentioned the LE trade in Sig229s which are extremely well priced and very good guns. The mentioned SP2022 is also a solid pistol but with P229 trade ins being the price the are I would grow with them as accessories are far more available. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend any of these pistols.

All that said - why do you want a .40? The fact that there are so many .40 trade ins on the market is because after 20 years - most people in the know just don’t consider the “juice worth the squeeze.” You are looking at spending money on a gun that recoils more and holds less in exchange for a negligible terminal ballistic advantage.

Also what kind of 9mm do you shoot? Do you like that and are you good with it? If you are still hell bent on a 40, then I would get a 40 caliber version of what you have in 9mm.

If you just want something different to add variety to your sport, then just buy whatever tickles your fancy.

Suvorov
07-30-2020, 11:12 PM

As was the P229.

Bigghoss
07-30-2020, 11:15 PM
This same question was posed I think about a year or maybe two years ago. Right now isn't the best time to buy but .40's are still the easiest to find.

In the other thread the ones I remember getting suggested and that I would certainly agree with based on my research and/or personal experience, more-or-less in order of my personal recommendations:

Smith M&P40, especially the 2.0 but even the first gen. Guns and mags are probably the least expensive of anything that you'll hear suggested. Thanks to the police surplus market.

Sig P226/229 again, lots of trade-in guns and mags out there for very reasonable prices.

HK USP. The most durable handgun around.

Smith 4006, especially a CHP edition TSW. It's like a really heavy Beretta 96G vertec. But that weight soaks up recoil like a champ.

Gen 4 Glock 35 or 22, in that order. Glock would be my last pick although right now I have two G22 gen 4s and sold off the M&P40's. Not long ago I decided to streamline my collection and remove some of the variety so the Glocks stayed and the M&Ps got sold only for the sake of commonality. Right before COVID and race riots and every other crazy thing I got a second Glock 22 for less than $300 and used mags were $10. Used mags are still only $13 right now.

Honorable mention to the PX4, Ruger P944, Smith SD40, a Glock 20 with a .40 conversion barrel and Smith/Ruger 10mm revolvers with moon clips. Ruger also makes a Blackhawk in 10mm with an extra .40 cylinder.

I feel like I'm forgetting something but I'm sure it's not as good as anything I already mentioned.

Ones to avoid would be the Beretta 96 with the possible exception of the 96A1 and pre-gen 4 Glocks. Supposedly the 96A1 is more durable but I haven't been able to find reports from anyone that's put one through it's paces. The earlier gen Glocks were know to have problems although I would imagine the ones that were going to fail catastrophicly have probably already done so.

TGS
07-30-2020, 11:36 PM
HK USP Fullsize, Expert, or Tactical....hands down.

I'd say go find yourself a police trade-in Glock 22, SIG P226 or P229 for $300, but that's not really applicable in the current environment. The panic buying on pistols this year is pretty remarkable, and all the police trade-in 40s were ate up like candy.

HCM
07-31-2020, 02:12 AM
Looking for recommendations for a 40 cal. I’m expanding my collection with a new caliber (presently have only 9mm’s) and the 40 seems to be a good close cousin. Also open to 45’s, but the ammo is lower cost for a 40. This would be for home defense and the range, so a full sized pistol is what I’m looking for. Would prefer something in the $400-$700 range. Open to either DA/SA or striker fired. And looking for something stock. Not looking for after market triggers and such.

Please don’t just say a brand. Tell me a model. And say why you recommend that one.

Thanks.

For serious use a .40 or 45 cal version of the 9mm you normally shoot.

If you just want something different buy something designed as a .40.

As noted you missed the boat on cheap .40 cal police trade ins.

Bucky
07-31-2020, 04:45 AM
Having recently cleaned the cob webs off my P229 to let a friend try it out, I’m reminded of what a darn good gun it is. Well, except for the slide stop location.

roadking
07-31-2020, 06:39 AM
Thanks, everyone. I know this isn’t the best time to be buying. And I’m not in a hurry so I can be patient. Right now, I’m trying to learn and get some ideas. My 9mm is a VP9SK. Loved the VP9 so I got one I could carry. The 40 wont be a CCW firearm so my thoughts were to get a VP40 full size. But rather that just rush to a decision, I wanted to hear what else is out there. I’ve heard tons good about the USP platform. And I like the M&P 9 2.0 (so I suspect the 40 would be great too). The Sigs are interesting and bear further investigating. I also saw the PX4 comment. I’ve heard about some issues with them, but those might be anecdotal. Not sure yet. Again, thanks! Keep them coming!

Joe in PNG
07-31-2020, 06:41 AM
To be an odd one out, a CZ97 in .45 acp is at the upper end of your price range, but I am seeing them in shops.
And while a bit spendy, I am seeing .45acp on shelves.

roadking
07-31-2020, 06:45 AM

That is one consideration in my looking beyond the 9!

JHC
07-31-2020, 06:51 AM
I would find a .40 1911 rather handy to have around but they are getting few and far between. In their heyday I don't think I was paying much attention to 1911 trends in general.

claymore504
07-31-2020, 07:24 AM
I will agree with most on here. The M&P is excellent in 40. Also the P226 & P229 40SW can be found used at great prices. 40 is a great round for sure and can be found sometimes when other rounds (9 & 45) cant.

BehindBlueI's
07-31-2020, 07:37 AM
I carried the .40 P229/P226 for several years and marginally preferred the P226. I didn't get rid of either of them when we transitioned to 9mm. I think they tamp the recoil down pretty well and are comfortable to shoot for long training/practice days. Much more so then the Glock 22, at least.

ViniVidivici
07-31-2020, 10:28 AM
My experience with my Glock 23 has been great, it's a fine pistol in every way. G22 is probably great too, never owned one.

Bigghoss
07-31-2020, 10:31 AM
Sportsman's outdoor Superstore has Sig .40's and some .45's in stock for reasonable prices with free shipping and Recoil Gunworks has 226 .40 mags. I have ordered from both companies and been happy. Sportsman's is backed up with orders though. Takes about 10 days to ship a firearm.

I'm tempted to grab me a .40 P226r for $420 https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/172711

Nephrology
07-31-2020, 10:53 AM

Thanks.

what do you usually shoot/carry? I'd go with the best .40 cal model from the same brand/model family. e.g. I mostly shoot 9mm Glocks, picked up a G4 Glock 35 a while ago for basically exactly the situation we are in now. I dont have a 34, but it is close enough, and the 35 handles .40 recoil very well IMO.

I also had a G4G23 and I cannot recommend that gun at all.

roadking
07-31-2020, 10:59 AM
what do you usually shoot/carry? I'd go with the best .40 cal model from the same brand/model family. e.g. I mostly shoot 9mm Glocks, picked up a G4 Glock 35 a while ago for basically exactly the situation we are in now. I dont have a 34, but it is close enough, and the 35 handles .40 recoil very well IMO.

I also had a G4G23 and I cannot recommend that gun at all.

Thanks. Carry is a Hellcat, so that’s not much help. The other is a VP9SK. So the VP40 is on the table but I want to know what else is out there...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sammy1
07-31-2020, 11:04 AM
M&P full size and or G22.

OfficeCat
07-31-2020, 11:07 AM
I'll concur with the P229 recommendation of you can find one of the used or factory refurbished ones that have been on the market lately, and also toss out a suggestion to consider a PX4 compact in 40. I snagged one from a dealer in Gunbroker just shortly before the current panic for a blowout inventory clearing price. Reading all the love on this forum had me really wanting to try a PX4, and the substantial cost difference in the 40 made it easy to justify. It is pretty soft shooting for a 40, I'd say comparable to the 229.

LtDave
07-31-2020, 11:15 AM
HK would be my first choice, VP40, P30/P30L or USP/USPc. SIG SP2022 and P229 would be close runner ups.

Center Shot
07-31-2020, 11:46 AM
If you can wait a few months, (possibly October) Glock will be releasing its redesigned 40 S&W in the Gen 5 platform. It will have a thicker and heaver slide, which should make it more durable. I would like the Gen5 G23 or G22.

PX4 Storm Tracker
07-31-2020, 11:58 AM
The PX4 full size F .40 is a good consideration. I have put thousands of rounds on these .40s and am impressed. For what you mentioned (range/home defense, etc.) it could be perfect. We have a PX4 .40 full size for home defense.

The PX4 .40 has proven to be 100% reliable with different brands of ammo under many different conditions. With a capacity of 14 +1 or 17 +1 it can serve well. Recoil is less than other .40s because of the rotating barrel design and buffer system. The buffer delivers recoil far back into the grip frame, reducing muzzle flip. The barrel does not tilt, decreasing muzzle flip and the barrel and slide stay locked together longer than other pistols (increasing accuracy). The barrel and slide are also locked together during cycling of the slide. The PX4 has a reputation for being able to keep working, even with broken parts and is designed to run with a broken or missing extractor, etc.. Beretta says that the PX4 has less moving parts and so less to break or go wrong. I have 200,000+ rounds on PX4s and agree with that assessment.

Advantages IMO: The slide mounted safety offers a positive safe decocking. It actually turns the firing pin plunger away so that no energy from the hammer fall gets to the firing pin. It makes it mechanically impossible for it to discharge. You don't have to deactivate the safety to chamber a round. This also allows for another advantage. The hammer rests all the way down. The hammer does not spring back a little as some (Sig). This protects the rear of the slide (firing pin) from getting lint, dust or debris between the hammer and the area to strike for ignition. It protects its own surface.

The slide mounted safety gets negative feedback from some folks. I see it as an advantage in being able to get my grip higher on the frame for positive gripping. I also don't need to release my grip or open the support hand to decock.

Some find the safety levers a little sharp if they are not used to where and how to grip while racking, but that would not be a problem for your described intended use (if I understand correctly). As a home defense pistol it would be left on Safe. When the pistol is on Safe the levers are out of the way and not sharp. Since you plan to leave it stock... not a problem.

If you ever decide to use it more and want options later on, it has 4 different lever styles, 2 modes of fire (type F or G), 3 different mag release options, different slide catch options, trigger options, etc. Great left stock and super potential for modifications later. It has a good picatinny rail for lights, lasers, bayonets or anything you like.

Shades
07-31-2020, 12:13 PM
I like the M&P 2.0 Compact that I purchased a few months ago. I got it in anticipation of a situation like we're seeing today - and saw back in 2009 - where 9mm ammo became scarce and very expensive, but .40 was much less affected by events; at least, in this area. I also intend to acquire a 9mm conversion barrel for this gun. In a modest amount of shooting the gun has been reliable and not unpleasant to shoot. It's even better when I use full size mags with the spacer (the gun came with two). The price was decent for a new gun, though I doubt that's the case now.

The only other .40 I have shot is a Browning HP, which is not a serious option.

psalms144.1
07-31-2020, 02:03 PM
In a hammer fired gun, I'd look at the P226 or P229, closely followed by any HK. You can find ugly but gently used LE trade in 226/229s for under $400 pretty much anywhere. HKs are going to go twice that, or darned near.

In strikers, the only .40 I'd look at is the M&P full size. I've owned and sold any number of Glocks in .40, and find them marginal at just about everything. If you HAVE to get a Glock in .40, I'd go with the G22, and no smaller.

mhl6493
07-31-2020, 02:29 PM
I recently picked up a CPO Sig p229 in .40 from CDNN Sports that would fit very nicely in your price range (I think they may currently be out of stock). I’ve never been much of a fan of shooting .40 out of polymer framed striker fired pistols (I have a Glock 23 and M&P .40), but this p229 really does a good job of taming the recoil of the round. It was actually enjoyable.

psalms144.1
07-31-2020, 03:00 PM
As an adamant hater of the .40 S&W round, I will say that, in my experience, ammunition selection plays almost as big a part in "comfort" of the caliber as platform. We're issued P229Rs, and even in that "designed for the round, heavy metal framed" pistol, our 155gr JHP ammo is NOT fun to shoot. I've fired "duty" level 180gr ammo through a friend's G23, and it's MUCH more pleasant. The "mid load" 165s are almost as mild as 9mms, and, in heavy guns built for .40, are an absolute pussy cat to shoot.

gomerpyle
07-31-2020, 03:25 PM
The VP40 is a cracking pistol, with a slightly larger slide than its 9mm sibling.

MRW
07-31-2020, 04:31 PM
Like anything they may be hard to find now but I would recommend a M&P "1.0" full size. I was able to pick up a brand new one for $319 earlier this year before the pandemic started.

A lot of shops were cutting prices to clear inventory on the old models. Probably hard to find now like anything else.

My example is reliable and comfortable (for a .40) to shoot. I've been carrying various issued Glock 22s for a while and I definitely prefer the M&P for a striker fired gun in the caliber.

sparkyv
07-31-2020, 05:30 PM
SA/DA: SIG SP2022 decocker, reliable, affordable
Striker: SIG P320 sweet trigger, reliable, vast array of aftermarket options, did I mention it has a sweet trigger?

Vista461
07-31-2020, 07:04 PM
There have been lots of .40 M&P LE trades ins on the market that are a good deal and a good pistol.

I bought a ex-Milwaukee PD M&P40 in good shape with night sights and 3 mags for $279 at a local police supply store.

Gadfly
07-31-2020, 07:45 PM
I had a gen 1 M&P 40 full size. About 2 or 3 times a box, I would get a dead trigger. The sear spring was not strong enough to hold, and under recoil, the sear would bounce out of place. I called smith, and they knew exactly what the problem was, and fixed it for free. My only concern is, how many of those gen 1s are floating around that will experience “sear bounce”, and the prior owner never shot it enough to experience it. Probably not a major issue, but I thought I would mention it.
Oh, a factory 9mm barrel will drop right in a 40 and run pretty well. So cheap practice ammo. I got 9mm barrel for $85 back when I had the gen1 40.

I also found the gen 1 trigger to be mush, with a mush reset. Traded it off. Not a bad pistol, but not my favorite.

Then a year or so ago, I shot a 2.0. Miles better trigger, miles better grip texture, so I grabbed one in 9mm. The 2.0 cost more, but I like it better. By the time you find a 1.0 and drop an apex trigger in, you are in the price range of a new 2.0....

andre3k
07-31-2020, 09:03 PM
I'll admit that I picked up few 40 cal 229's when they were cheap. I remember people paying in the $800 - $900 range for these while I was in the police academy. I couldn't pass on them at 350ish.

Navin Johnson
08-01-2020, 12:02 AM
Whatever you do buy used.

When things calm down people will dump their forties again.

A year ago local gun shops wouldn't even take a 40 in trade.

HCM
08-01-2020, 12:09 AM
I bought a ex-Milwaukee PD M&P40 in good shape with night sights and 3 mags for $279 at a local police supply store.

How long ago ?

Not picking on you in particular but the time of cheap police surplus .40 cals ended 4 months ago.

They might return in a few months if Trump wins, COVID wanes etc but right now they are non-existent.

HCM
08-01-2020, 12:12 AM
I would find a .40 1911 rather handy to have around but they are getting few and far between. In their heyday I don't think I was paying much attention to 1911 trends in general.

Getting 1911s in .40 to run reliably is a challenge. Uncommon guns are uncommon for a reason.

tadawson
08-01-2020, 01:10 AM
One other nice thing about the P229/P226 in 40 is that if you want to change to 357Sig, all you need is a barrel for $123.00 . . . bought some of the CDNN CPO's myself before thing went insane . . . they we "Like new CPO" as described fkr $499.00 . . . gone now though, but a good source.

Vista461
08-01-2020, 05:45 AM
How long ago ?

Not picking on you in particular but the time of cheap police surplus .40 cals ended 4 months ago.

They might return in a few months if Trump wins, COVID wanes etc but right now they are non-existent.

A few months ago, but they still had some 3-4 weeks ago when I went in to get a shirt for work.

JHC
08-01-2020, 06:15 AM
Getting 1911s in .40 to run reliably is a challenge. Uncommon guns are uncommon for a reason.

I’ve heard that. Any idea why? Seems like a closer fit than 9mm. Maybe just maturity of magazine designs?

Oldherkpilot
08-01-2020, 06:44 AM
To be an odd one out, a CZ97 in .45 acp is at the upper end of your price range, but I am seeing them in shops.

Or get the 97 in 10mm from the Custom shop! It's the full Monty.😁

JonInWA
08-01-2020, 07:24 AM
I recommend both the HK P30 and the VP40. Both are exceptionally well made, accurate and very durable and reliable. While I like my Gen4 Glock G22, the HK's are dialed in right out of the box, and also offer the opportunity to effectively individually tailor the gun to you, via the 3 backstaps and 6 side panels supplied with each pistol.

The VP40 provides what Glock is now getting to with the upcoming Gen5 G22-a heavier-slided .40, which very effectively tames recoil. A nice plus for the VP is that the frames on the VP9 and VP40 are literally identical, which means that if you choose a VP40, in the future you couls get, say, the VP9 longslide kit, and immediately have a 2-caliber VP. Reputedly the .40 magazines also work with 9mm cartridges, but I haven't personally verified that, so if you go that route, I'd also plan on getting 9mm magazines.

The P30 is essentially an upgraded USP, with improved ergonomics. In .40 it uses a buffered RSA in combination with a slide that has increased mass added internally, so its exterior dimensions are identical to those of its 9mm bretheren. Mine is a LEM L model, which I'm exceptionally pleased with, but LEM is a bit of an acquired taste for many, but there are excellent DA/SA variants.

A year or so back, HK decided to dial back P30 prices, so they're now much more competitive price-wise with their competition, and the VPs are a bit lower in price as well.

Additionally, I recommend getting the LE models of either the VP or P30 (available commercially) which come with 3 magazines and Meprolight tritium nightsights at an exceptional price.

The .40 is a credible cartridge, and as in previous ammunition shortages, again I see .40 being available in quantity and at reasonable prices, whill 9mm and .45 ACP is virtually unobtanium.

Best, Jon

Brazos Dan
08-01-2020, 08:18 AM
I recommend both the HK P30 and the VP40. Both are exceptionally well made, accurate and very durable and reliable. While I like my Gen4 Glock G22, the HK's are dialed in right out of the box, and also offer the opportunity to effectively individually tailor the gun to you, via the 3 backstaps and 6 side panels supplied with each pistol.

The VP40 provides what Glock is now getting to with the upcoming Gen5 G22-a heavier-slided .40, which very effectively tames recoil. A nice plus for the VP is that the frames on the VP9 and VP40 are literally identical, which means that if you choose a VP40, in the future you couls get, say, the VP9 longslide kit, and immediately have a 2-caliber VP. Reputedly the .40 magazines also work with 9mm cartridges, but I haven't personally verified that, so if you go that route, I'd also plan on getting 9mm magazines.

The P30 is essentially an upgraded USP, with improved ergonomics. In .40 it uses a buffered RSA in combination with a slide that has increased mass added internally, so its exterior dimensions are identical to those of its 9mm bretheren. Mine is a LEM L model, which I'm exceptionally pleased with, but LEM is a bit of an acquired taste for many, but there are excellent DA/SA variants.

A year or so back, HK decided to dial back P30 prices, so they're now much more competitive price-wise with their competition, and the VPs are a bit lower in price as well.

Additionally, I recommend getting the LE models of either the VP or P30 (available commercially) which come with 3 magazines and Meprolight tritium nightsights at an exceptional price.

The .40 is a credible cartridge, and as in previous ammunition shortages, again I see .40 being available in quantity and at reasonable prices, whill 9mm and .45 ACP is virtually unobtanium.

Best, Jon

I totally agree with the P30. Mine is sa/da w/ safety. It can be loaded, chambered and unloaded without disengaging the safety. I load it, holster it, then flick off the safety and gtg.
Makes loading/unloading much safer in the home.

I also have a VP9. It's great at the range but seems much less safe. I feel like I'm handling a grenade with pin removed.

Also have an HK45. Great pistol, just a little much to conceal. I reload for it, so cost isn't a factor.

I have thousands of rounds in these three, and NOT 1 SINGLE MALFUNCTION!

I've also had a Beretta Cougar an FN FNS and HK USPc in .40.
I prefer the P30.

Corse
08-01-2020, 09:17 AM
Another vote for the USP40. It’s my only 40 left.

5pins
08-01-2020, 09:53 AM
My only experience with the .40 has been with sig's 229/226, USP/P2000, and Glocks. You could not pay me to own a .40 Glock.

HCM
08-01-2020, 10:42 AM
A few months ago, but they still had some 3-4 weeks ago when I went in to get a shirt for work.

That was when the riots triggered panic buying part 2.

HCM
08-01-2020, 10:44 AM
I’ve heard that. Any idea why? Seems like a closer fit than 9mm. Maybe just maturity of magazine designs?

Round is too short.

19852+
08-01-2020, 11:59 AM
Were I looking for a .40 the HK USP would be my choice. But, not if I could find a Browning HP in .40 ... I already have my alternate caliber; a Colt government in .38 super auto, a close cousin of the 9 x 19. Recently I was looking for ammo online, 9mm, but no joy. Then I remembered my Super and that ammo was in stock and for the old prices so... click click...

Stephanie B
08-01-2020, 12:15 PM
I keep looking at the police trade-in 3rd-gen S&Ws that keep popping up from time to time.

But then I think of how much it'll cost to get in a number of extra mags (10 round limit) and think... nah.

Gadfly
08-01-2020, 12:43 PM
I keep looking at the police trade-in 3rd-gen S&Ws that keep popping up from time to time.

But then I think of how much it'll cost to get in a number of extra mags (10 round limit) and think... nah.

I remember when SW mags were on line for $10 a pop everywhere. Looooong ago.

Tam recently posted on “view from the Porch” her Smith 4046 (all steel DAO). It gave me an itch for one.

YVK
08-01-2020, 01:40 PM
CZ 75 SP-01.

jeffreybehr
08-01-2020, 06:10 PM
I love my S&W M&P 40s.. The M&P's ovoid-cross-section grip is much more comfortable for my hand than the squarish-cross-section Glocks, and I don't like SA/DA pistols with hammers, etc.. The M&Ps are available with or without a thumb safety, which I have come to like.. Altho my current EDC piece is without one...
...the new one arriving Monday, a version M2.0, has one.. $600 RR; I paid $530 (plus shipping but no salestax) for mine.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-40-m20-0

JHC
08-01-2020, 06:33 PM
Round is too short.

9s are running. ???

BehindBlueI's
08-01-2020, 07:06 PM
You could not pay me to own a .40 Glock.

Same. Whenever someone recommends one I do the RCA dog head cock.

Chuck Whitlock
08-01-2020, 08:42 PM
In a hammer fired gun, I'd look at the P226 or P229, closely followed by any HK. You can find ugly but gently used LE trade in 226/229s for under $400 pretty much anywhere. HKs are going to go twice that, or darned near.

In strikers, the only .40 I'd look at is the M&P full size. I've owned and sold any number of Glocks in .40, and find them marginal at just about everything. If you HAVE to get a Glock in .40, I'd go with the G22, and no smaller.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=s%26w%20tsw

As an adamant hater of the .40 S&W round, I will say that, in my experience, ammunition selection plays almost as big a part in "comfort" of the caliber as platform. We're issued P229Rs, and even in that "designed for the round, heavy metal framed" pistol, our 155gr JHP ammo is NOT fun to shoot. I've fired "duty" level 180gr ammo through a friend's G23, and it's MUCH more pleasant. The "mid load" 165s are almost as mild as 9mms, and, in heavy guns built for .40, are an absolute pussy cat to shoot.

What he said.

HCM
08-01-2020, 09:42 PM
9s are running. ???

9s are running better than they used to but they will never run as well as 45, 38 super, etc. the 9mm has a slight taper which aids feeding.

JBP55
08-01-2020, 09:49 PM
The new improved Gen 5 G22 or Gen 5 G35 available October 2020.

pangloss
08-01-2020, 11:08 PM
I've been thinking of getting another .40 caliber pistol for years, but that's on permanent hold now. My two front runners were the P30 and Glock 35. I really like my P30 in 9mm and holster compatibility would be a plus. For Glock, I still have a few G22 mags from when I owned a Gen3 G22, and I have at least one holster that would fit a G35. I'm curious about the USP, but logistically it doesn't make as much sense for me as the P30. If I were determined to buy a .40 caliber tomorrow, I'd look at the Beretta APX. Those pistols were so under priced before the panic that they still seem like a decent buy if you can find one.

HCM
08-02-2020, 02:32 AM

MOS versions ?

BigT
08-02-2020, 04:19 AM
Maybe...

Bucky
08-02-2020, 04:32 AM

9s are running better than they used to but they will never run as well as 45, 38 super, etc. the 9mm has a slight taper which aids feeding.

I respectfully disagree. The 1911 was not designed for a tapered cartridge. The .45 is straight walled, as is the .38 super. My .40 1911 runs great, and I don’t have to worry about the slide lock nose dive after a too aggressive reload like I do in my 9mms.

Center Shot
08-02-2020, 04:15 PM
MOS versions ?

Yes they will be available in MOS

Oldherkpilot
08-02-2020, 04:35 PM
You could consider the CZ 40P. It's DA/SA with a decocker. I carried one for years until I switched over to the HK P30. I still have it and a like new spare. It is built on a P01 frame, so it's relatively light if you'd choose to carry it. The Kadet .22 conversion works nicely and I also have a standard CZ 75 9mm slide to convert it to 9. The 40 Ps are not really common but two are up for sale on Gunbroker at the moment. Prices for the ones on GB are pretty high but If you find one locally it ought to go for around $400 or so.

lwt16
08-02-2020, 05:27 PM
If you go the PD trade in route on a Sig P226 in .40, this is what condition ours showed up in.

At first I was meh but the gun is a solid shooter on the range. Very tight printing at 25 yards, solid ejection, etc.

Grips need replacing and I’m thinking of sending it to CCR for their house black treatment. Night sights still have life in them too. Paid mid 3s at the first of the year.

Super good shooting .40.

Regards.

HCM
08-02-2020, 06:10 PM
If you go the PD trade in route on a Sig P226 in .40, this is what condition ours showed up in.

At first I was meh but the gun is a solid shooter on the range. Very tight printing at 25 yards, solid ejection, etc.

Grips need replacing and I’m thinking of sending it to CCR for their house black treatment. Night sights still have life in them too. Paid mid 3s at the first of the year.

Super good shooting .40.

Regards.

If you are refinishing anyway consider having it cut for an RDS.

roadking
08-02-2020, 07:37 PM

Super good shooting .40.

Regards.

So what condition was that described as? Very good, good, fair? Doesn’t look bad.

lwt16
08-02-2020, 08:37 PM
So what condition was that described as? Very good, good, fair? Doesn’t look bad.

“Used”
“LEO Trade-in Sig Sauer P 226 .40 SW caliber Single/Double action Pistols with night sights. They are in excellent mechanical condition with just some metal finish wear as pictured. Grips may vary. Includes a 12rd magazine. More information below. While supplies last.“

Aim surplus but they are currently out of stock. 378.00 before tax/shipping.

Lots of holster wear and the mag button was set up for a lefty.

I figure it had the sights replaced at least once. Rear sight was pushed all the way over to the left to compensate some agent’s trigger control and grip errors. Corrected that and put up mid 90s on a B8 rc with fmj range ammo.

Probably had qual ammo plus a box here and there. Slide to frame fit is tight....got plenty of life left in it.

OlongJohnson
08-02-2020, 11:10 PM
Probably had qual ammo plus a box here and there. Slide to frame fit is tight....got plenty of life left in it.

I would describe the wear on the barrel (both the "smileys" and on the ejection side of the hood) as heavy. Frankly, I'm not sure I've seen a Sig with that much wear in those locations before. Which doesn't necessarily mean it's worn out, but that's still a lot of rounds. If you get a good one, they go a long time.

lwt16
08-02-2020, 11:25 PM
I would describe the wear on the barrel (both the "smileys" and on the ejection side of the hood) as heavy. Frankly, I'm not sure I've seen a Sig with that much wear in those locations before. Which doesn't necessarily mean it's worn out, but that's still a lot of rounds. If you get a good one, they go a long time.

Yes, and that was my initial “meh” when I saw it at the FFL. It was bone dry too.....so I wasn’t expecting much in the way of 25 yard accuracy. Then it printed good with extracted casings at 4 o’clock in a neat, little pile.

I expect it to outlast me.

Bobert1035
08-03-2020, 06:22 AM
Did anyone bring up the PX4 in 40 yet? They are (were?) dirt cheap at one point. I snagged my LE trade in for $199. Its a great pistol, even in 40 :cool:

PX4 Storm Tracker
08-03-2020, 09:25 AM
Did anyone bring up the PX4 in 40 yet? They are (were?) dirt cheap at one point. I snagged my LE trade in for $199. Its a great pistol, even in 40 :cool:

On page 4, post 33 I did mention that :) It is a great pistol. That's a good price there!

claymore504
08-03-2020, 10:51 AM
A used P226 40SW is a great option. I have one that is in about the same shape as the one posted above. My Sig Lite night sights are pretty much dead though. Thinking about sending it in to Sig for the Service Plan. I sent in a P229 40SW a couple years ago and service was excellent!

JonInWA
08-03-2020, 05:19 PM
For what it's worth, out of curiosity I just handled a .40 SG P2022 Sigpro at a high-volume Sportsmans Warehouse, priced as I recall at $559. Dryfiring reminded me just how smooth and even the DA trigger is, and the SA was equally nice and crisp, with a short reset (roughly equivalent to the reset on my HK P30; a tad bit longer than the reset on my Glocks). Contrast sights were large white dots, easily acquired. A solid contender in my eyes.

Checking locally at multiple volume locations, 9mm ball/target is basically unobtanium, .40 is easily available and at reasonable pricing, .45 ACP is more available than 9mm, but still a bit sporadic. Looks like I may be concentrating on my .40s in the forseeable future, just as in the previous ammunition crisis....

And since I don't currently have a DA/SA .40, that P2022 is glittering in my eye...(well, as much as matte nitron and black polymer can glitter....)
Best, Jon

farscott
08-03-2020, 07:10 PM

Best, Jon

Every thought above is dead on the money. I was able to add a P30 in .40 for a stupid low price and a VP40 upper with five magazines before the current frenzy. The VP40 upper package was a bit of a lark as it came with five magazines with Taylor Freelance +5 "Border Special" base plate kits. Of course, those magazines work just fine in the P30. I now have three uppers for a VP9 (stock, VP9L, and VP40).

The HK pistols have less perceived muzzle rise and twist than the G23.3 that aggravated my tendinitis. .40 ammo is something I once loaded for my Limited 10 pistol, so I have the dies, brass, and bullets. I just need to load them shorter.

Akc47
08-09-2020, 07:26 PM
I would recommend you take a hard look at the Beretta PX4. I also have a Glock 22 and a Springfield XDM in 40. The PX4 is much softer shooting and has been flawless so far.

JBP55
08-09-2020, 08:09 PM
I would recommend you take a hard look at the Beretta PX4. I also have a Glock 22 and a Springfield XDM in 40. The PX4 is much softer shooting and has been flawless so far.

Or wait until October and purchase a Gen 5 G22 or G35 with the heavier slides.