PDA

View Full Version : Glock sights with thin front sight

Argus
07-30-2020, 11:42 AM
Hi all. It is time for new sights on my Glocks, as the tritium lamps are all about dead. I installed some Ameriglo Operator sights (GL-147) on my G26 about 10 years ago and really liked them. The front sight on them is 0.125" wide. I've noticed that as my eyes age, I'm able to focus on the narrow front sight blade better than I can on the standard 0.140" wide sights on my other Glocks.

I looked on Ameriglo's website, and it looks like GL-147 has been discontinued. Looks like the GL-146 is the same but has a white outline on the front sight, so I may go that route. I'm also looking at the Spartan Operators (GL-446) - I like the orange outline on the front sight. But I don't see any mention of the front sight being narrow on those. Can anyone confirm the width of the Spartan Operator front sight blade? Anyone aware of any other similar sight options with a thinner front sight?

Joe Mac
07-30-2020, 12:27 PM
Hi all. It is time for new sights on my Glocks, as the tritium lamps are all about dead. I installed some Ameriglo Operator sights (GL-147) on my G26 about 10 years ago and really liked them. The front sight on them is 0.125" wide. I've noticed that as my eyes age, I'm able to focus on the narrow front sight blade better than I can on the standard 0.140" wide sights on my other Glocks.

I looked on Ameriglo's website, and it looks like GL-147 has been discontinued. Looks like the GL-146 is the same but has a white outline on the front sight, so I may go that route. I'm also looking at the Spartan Operators (GL-446) - I like the orange outline on the front sight. But I don't see any mention of the front sight being narrow on those. Can anyone confirm the width of the Spartan Operator front sight blade? Anyone aware of any other similar sight options with a thinner front sight?

The Spartan front should be .140 with a .180 rear notch. These are what I've been using for the past 8 years as my own eyes have aged, and they've treated me well.

I like room in the rear notch, with a big front, more than I like a narrow front. Slow fire results at distance are the same for me, and for close & fast work, you can't lose track of that big orange ball.

WDR
07-30-2020, 12:37 PM
You can special order just about any set of sights you'd like from Ameriglo, but you have to call them. I special ordered a special height .125" lumi-green front with the square notch Glock "Bold" rear sight ~three months ago. It will cost you a bit more than finding a set at Brownells etc. I had to wait quite a while to get them, but it was peak 'rona panic time. Took a couple months, and a couple phone calls to show up.

gato naranja
07-30-2020, 01:07 PM
I like room in the rear notch, with a big front, more than I like a narrow front. Slow fire results at distance are the same for me, and for close & fast work, you can't lose track of that big orange ball.

That is the direction I have gone. I am at the point where a thin front sight tends to turn into a dark blur, so I tend to keep their width no less than .125" or so.

Argus
07-30-2020, 02:10 PM
I think having some space in the notch around the front sight is what helps me focus. I didn't realize the Spartans had a wider rear notch; I think that should work just as well. I will give them a try. Thanks for the replies!

Hot Sauce
07-31-2020, 09:26 AM
You can special order just about any set of sights you'd like from Ameriglo, but you have to call them. I special ordered a special height .125" lumi-green front with the square notch Glock "Bold" rear sight ~three months ago. It will cost you a bit more than finding a set at Brownells etc. I had to wait quite a while to get them, but it was peak 'rona panic time. Took a couple months, and a couple phone calls to show up.Was not aware of this. When you say just about any set of sights, does that include unlisted front sight widths and custom rear notch widths?

WDR
08-01-2020, 11:20 AM
Was not aware of this. When you say just about any set of sights, does that include unlisted front sight widths and custom rear notch widths?

Mostly, I meant you can mix and match front sight heights/widths and rear sight styles/widths. If they make the sights, but don't offer the specific front/rear combo you are looking for on their website, you can order them separately via a phone call.There is a limit to how thin you can go and still get a tritium insert in the front sight ( I believe .125" is as thin as you can go with Ameriglo). I'm not sure you can specify a notch width that they don't currently make, but its probably worth asking.

In my case, I wanted the square notch of the "Bold" sights that I believe Glock now "owns" the name of, but I wanted a .125" width X .190" high front sight to split the difference between the .200" Gen5 sights, and the .180" Gen 1-4 sights. That rear sight isn't available on their website as a stand alone item, though the front sight is. I also ordered the front sight in the lumi-green (Glock Bolds are orange/red only). Cost was ~$130 for the set... which is a bit more than buying a set of Bolds from someone like GT Distributors etc, but I got exactly what I wanted.

I don't know if a 6-8 week wait is normal, or if I just caught them at a bad time (May/June) with the 'rona panic, Atlanta riots (they are nearby), etc. I did have to call a few times to get updates and tracking info.

UNM1136
08-01-2020, 11:50 AM
I have Suarez sights on my duty Glock in a straight eight configuration. I really, really, really like the narrow, serrated front sight in the middle of the wide rear sight. But I like the RMR more....:cool:

pat

JAH 3rd
08-01-2020, 11:56 AM
I have a Glock 21 that has the Ameriglo Hackathorn sight set, GL-434. The reason I chose them is because of my aging eyes. The wide front sight coupled with a wider than normal rear sight notch works for me. I can pick-up the front sight easily due to the orange outline around the tritium insert. I am well pleased with these sights simply because they work for me. Now I have read where some shooters like a narrow front sight because it doesn't completely cover the target. I guess it is personal preference and the type of shooting one does.

At one time Ameriglo published the front sight width along with the width of the rear sight notch. I found this helpful. Not seeing that now, maybe I am not looking in the right place on the website. Anyway, I like the GL-434.

Archer1440
08-01-2020, 12:51 PM
What about the Trijicon HD XR with the .125 width front blade?

https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-hd-xr-night-sights-for-glock-pistols

Hot Sauce
08-01-2020, 01:38 PM
Mostly, I meant you can mix and match front sight heights/widths and rear sight styles/widths. If they make the sights, but don't offer the specific front/rear combo you are looking for on their website, you can order them separately via a phone call.There is a limit to how thin you can go and still get a tritium insert in the front sight ( I believe .125" is as thin as you can go with Ameriglo). I'm not sure you can specify a notch width that they don't currently make, but its probably worth asking.

In my case, I wanted the square notch of the "Bold" sights that I believe Glock now "owns" the name of, but I wanted a .125" width X .190" high front sight to split the difference between the .200" Gen5 sights, and the .180" Gen 1-4 sights. That rear sight isn't available on their website as a stand alone item, though the front sight is. I also ordered the front sight in the lumi-green (Glock Bolds are orange/red only). Cost was ~$130 for the set... which is a bit more than buying a set of Bolds from someone like GT Distributors etc, but I got exactly what I wanted.

I don't know if a 6-8 week wait is normal, or if I just caught them at a bad time (May/June) with the 'rona panic, Atlanta riots (they are nearby), etc. I did have to call a few times to get updates and tracking info.What is the width of your rear notch? What part numbers did you ask for/get? Ameriglo's website is notoriously sucky with giving full information. Closest I can find there to the Bold style combo was the Trooper: https://ameriglo.com/collections/products/glock-trooper-sets

But that uses what looks like a serrated Operator rear rather than a serrated Pro Operator rear.

I basically just want the Bold sights but in .125 front/.150 rear combo.

JAH 3rd
08-01-2020, 01:56 PM
On my HK USP 45, I have a set of Trijicon HD sights, HK 106Y. The front post is .144 with a .169 rear sight notch. The XR front sight is .122 with a .169 rear sight notch. The HD sights have ample light on both sides of the front sight for a good sight picture. Since you want a .125 sight, there will be more than ample amount of light on both sides of the XR front sight.

Hot Sauce
08-01-2020, 03:51 PM
On my HK USP 45, I have a set of Trijicon HD sights, HK 106Y. The front post is .144 with a .169 rear sight notch. The XR front sight is .122 with a .169 rear sight notch. The HD sights have ample light on both sides of the front sight for a good sight picture. Since you want a .125 sight, there will be more than ample amount of light on both sides of the XR front sight.Problem with HDs is the rears are very sharp. Not to mention, given that Ameriglo stocks different height fronts, a POI adjustment is available. Not so for HDs AFAIK. I also think too wide a rear notch/front difference makes precision more challenging.

WDR
08-01-2020, 03:58 PM
What is the width of your rear notch? What part numbers did you ask for/get? Ameriglo's website is notoriously sucky with giving full information. Closest I can find there to the Bold style combo was the Trooper: https://ameriglo.com/collections/products/glock-trooper-sets

But that uses what looks like a serrated Operator rear rather than a serrated Pro Operator rear.

I basically just want the Bold sights but in .125 front/.150 rear combo.

Rear notch measures .163-.164" with my crappy calipers. Rear sight part number GL90070 (Serrated 2 Dot Black Outline), Front sight was a GL-212T-190-GRC (ProGlo Thin .190" H LumiGreen).

The rear sight is NOT listed on their website as a stand alone item ( last I checked), you have to call them. I believe Glock "owns" the "Bold" (square notch) sight, and they cant list it for sale, but don't quote me on that. The U-notch "agent" sights are similar. I can't answer if they can make either in a .150" notch or not.

My understanding is that the Troopers came about because the Bold and Agent rear sights are too long to fit properly behind a MOS plate without overhanging the back of the slide.

Hot Sauce
08-01-2020, 04:19 PM
Rear notch measures .163-.164" with my crappy calipers. Rear sight part number GL90070 (Serrated 2 Dot Black Outline), Front sight was a GL-212T-190-GRC (ProGlo Thin .190" H LumiGreen).

The rear sight is NOT listed on their website as a stand alone item ( last I checked), you have to call them. I believe Glock "owns" the "Bold" (square notch) sight, and they cant list it for sale, but don't quote me on that. The U-notch "agent" sights are similar. I can't answer if they can make either in a .150" notch or not.

My understanding is that the Troopers came about because the Bold and Agent rear sights are too long to fit properly behind a MOS plate without overhanging the back of the slide.Thanks dude! That's really helpful info.

Flashman
08-02-2020, 09:55 AM
Check out 10-8 and Warren Tactical for .125 and thinner front sights.

AKDoug
08-02-2020, 01:16 PM
I use Dawson fiber optic fronts, but they are very narrow at .105" Currently I'm running RB1 rears because I replaced the RB1 fronts with the Dawson fronts.

Darth_Uno
08-04-2020, 01:08 AM
Check out 10-8 and Warren Tactical for .125 and thinner front sights.

Yes, 10-8 has a .125 front sight, and MOS compatible rear.

https://www.10-8performance.com/glock-front-sight-all-styles/

https://www.10-8performance.com/glock-mos-rear-sight-standard-height-gen2/

Super77
08-08-2020, 12:40 PM
Heinie straight 8 plus paint works well for me

Up1911Fan
08-08-2020, 08:14 PM
I really like the yellow Ameriglo TCAP front paired with a black rear.

Simong
08-08-2020, 10:04 PM
What about the Trijicon HD XR with the .125 width front blade?

https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-hd-xr-night-sights-for-glock-pistols

I got the XR on my G-19, 0.122 front , I like them a lot more than the regular HD.

Simong.

DDTSGM
08-08-2020, 10:53 PM
I use Dawson fiber optic fronts, but they are very narrow at .105" Currently I'm running RB1 rears because I replaced the RB1 fronts with the Dawson fronts.

Dawson has various widths, they just aren't available in all heights. For example, I decided I wanted to try a .125 front on my Legion. That width wasn't available in a .240, but it was in a .250. No problem with that because the Legion has an adjustable rear.

I call them and have always received knowledgeable help, plus I have made liberal use of their exact impact guarantee, with nary a squawk from them.

They are my first stop for pistol irons.