PDA

View Full Version : More than 100 police agencies pull out of DNC convention

5pins
07-29-2020, 11:40 AM
I like the part about them considerating the Feds or NG. Unless there is federal property they should pound sand.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jul/28/police-agencies-pull-out-dnc-convention/

MILWAUKEE — More than 100 police agencies are withdrawing from agreements to send personnel to bolster security at next month’s Democratic National Convention in Milwaukee, in part because they’re concerned about a recent directive ordering police in the city to stop using tear gas to control crowds.

Morales did not say which agencies would not be coming or how many officers were still expected. The original plan was to have 1,000 officers on hand from outside agencies to assist with security. Morales said utilizing the National Guard or enlisting federal assistance was under consideration.

blues
07-29-2020, 11:44 AM
I say the Dems should reap what they sow.

And besides, since there won't be any demonstrators anyway, (since they're all Dems), and they're entirely peaceful in any case, (per universal Democrat assertions), the manpower is more reasonably employed elsewhere where the Dem utopia has yet to have an opportunity to blossom.

Guerrero
07-29-2020, 11:58 AM
Unfortunately, I will be in town for this mess.

ccmdfd
07-29-2020, 12:26 PM
I'm rather surprised they're actually still having the thing.

The Optics of still trying to hold a convention while telling everyone else that large Gatherings are inappropriate is a bit problematic.

The Republican convention in Charlotte is still on although massively scaled-back, just some business meetings as I understand it. The party portion of it was moved to Florida but then it has been canceled due to the pandemic.

TGS
07-29-2020, 12:28 PM
Man, I would fucking hate to be the USSS NSSE coordinator for the DNC right now.....

When I was part of the 2016 DNC, the amount of personnel involved was staggering. It was Philly, which has the 4th largest PD in America with over 6,000 officers, and there was still droves of other agencies supporting.

Milwaukee PD has 1,800 cops.

Borderland
07-29-2020, 12:34 PM
I say the Dems should reap what they sow.

And besides, since there won't be any demonstrators anyway, (since they're all Dems), and they're entirely peaceful in any case, (per universal Democrat assertions), the manpower is more reasonably employed elsewhere where the Dem utopia has yet to have an opportunity to blossom.

I think the three percenters said they would provide the security.

FrankinCA
07-29-2020, 01:15 PM
I have a suggestion for security: the Democrats should hire Hell’s Angels for security like The Rolling Stones did at Altamont. From what I understand, they only require a few kegs of beer. The Angels will provide their own pool ques .

Sanch
07-30-2020, 01:03 AM
Wait, why do they need armed security? I thought guns were dangerous? Studies have shown that security at conventions are 100x more likely to shoot themselves with their own guns or a loved one than a dangerous criminal.

Hambo
07-30-2020, 04:54 AM
The convention, scheduled for Aug. 17-Aug. 20 at the Wisconsin Center in downtown Milwaukee, has been scaled down to a mostly virtual event, with only about 300 people expected to attend in-person.

I think MPD can handle 300 people and a big screen.

JAD
07-30-2020, 05:56 AM
I think MPD can handle 300 people and a big screen.

I don't think the security challenge is inside the building.

LittleLebowski
07-30-2020, 07:10 AM
#TheseThingsHappen (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=TheseThingsHappen)

Hambo
07-30-2020, 09:09 AM
I don't think the security challenge is inside the building.

I know, but like all things there is probably more to this than just departments/officers responding with a well founded 'fuck you'. Somebody pays for extra officers, and if that payment dried up because they're going mainly virtual, the boys aren't coming. If there's a riot, maybe they'll do the world a favor and burn down the Miller Brewery.

TGS
07-30-2020, 09:55 AM
I know, but like all things there is probably more to this than just departments/officers responding with a well founded 'fuck you'. Somebody pays for extra officers, and if that payment dried up because they're going mainly virtual, the boys aren't coming. If there's a riot, maybe they'll do the world a favor and burn down the Miller Brewery.

The reimbursement funding for locals is provided by the US Congress, and was initially funded at $100 million back in December or January. I haven't seen anything about that money being withdrawn in any manner, but I'm curious if someone can dig something up.

Regardless of the amount of people inside, I would expect there to be significant civil unrest just like the last one I was at.

OlongJohnson
07-30-2020, 10:42 AM
If there's a riot, maybe they'll do the world a favor and burn down the Miller Brewery.

MGD somehow manages to taste just right when you're in the desert and the sun is low. Wouldn't drink it any other time, though.

Guerrero
07-30-2020, 11:15 AM
Add to the fact the the Milwaukee PD seemed to have their thumbs up their collective behinds during the recent "protests" (NOTE: I'm not blaming the individual officers; I think the leadership had "conflicting priorities"), and this may turn out to be a world-class sh!t-show.

rd62
07-30-2020, 11:48 AM
Add to the fact the the Milwaukee PD seemed to have their thumbs up their collective behinds during the recent "protests" (NOTE: I'm not blaming the individual officers; I think the leadership had "conflicting priorities"), and this may turn out to be a world-class sh!t-show.

Hell, I may actually watch it.

Likely to be the best endorsement of the year for not voting Dem.

Guerrero
07-30-2020, 11:51 AM
Hell, I may actually watch it.

Likely to be the best endorsement of the year for not voting Dem.

On the other hand, maybe with the lack of police interference, peace, love, and tranquility with break out in abundance.

rd62
07-30-2020, 11:59 AM
On the other hand, maybe with the lack of police interference, peace, love, and tranquility with break out in abundance.

And Antifa may burn the building down

Guerrero
07-30-2020, 12:24 PM

Which would suck, because tax dollars helped build that building.

rd62
07-30-2020, 12:48 PM
Which would suck, because tax dollars helped build that building.

Absolutely, for a variety of reasons

HCM
07-30-2020, 02:52 PM
I like the part about them considerating the Feds or NG. Unless there is federal property they should pound sand.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jul/28/police-agencies-pull-out-dnc-convention/

I think this conversation is incomplete unless it includes why these agencies are pulling out. Actions have consequences.

https://bluelivesmatter.blue/police-drop-out-of-democratic-national-convention-security-after-milwaukee-bans-pepper-spray/?fbclid=IwAR3rIer9gZ0cZmckZcF_V70IgxNceUZlracZhdS-wpudZvLtMnFCVklucCE

The mass withdrawal occurred after the Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission ordered Milwaukee Police Chief Alfonso Morales to discontinue the use of tear gas and pepper spray for crowd control, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

The mass withdrawal occurred after the Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission ordered Milwaukee Police Chief Alfonso Morales to discontinue the use of tear gas and pepper spray for crowd control, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

Chief Fletcher said his department believed taking tear gas and pepper spray away from officers compromised their safety as well as the safety of the public, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

Franklin Police Chief Rick Oliva said basically the same thing in a letter to Chief Morales sent last week that said his agency had decided not to send officers to help with convention security “due to recent decisions by Milwaukee elected and appointed officials.”

“It is apparent there is a lack of commitment to provide the Milwaukee Police Department with the resources it needs to ensure the safety of peaceful protesters, attendees, citizens and police personnel,” Chief Oliva wrote in the July 23 letter. “I can not send personnel if they are not properly equipped or will not be allowed to engage in appropriate actions which would ensure their safety.”

The chief said the agreement Franklin police had entered into had stipulated that officers would be given “sufficient resources to handle multiple unruly persons,” the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

However, departments who had signed up could pull out of the deal if Milwaukee “fails to comply with or perform any material term, condition or obligation contained in the agreement.”

See also https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/07/27/dnc-police-departments-withdraw-security-agreements-milwaukee/5520421002/

Police departments begin to withdraw from security agreements for 2020 DNC, some citing directive on crowd munitions

NEPAKevin
07-30-2020, 02:58 PM

4:25 for the relevant part...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vv_LwwwpmU

Baldanders
07-30-2020, 05:23 PM
MGD somehow manages to taste just right when you're in the desert and the sun is low. Wouldn't drink it any other time, though.

Beats "Bud" any day of the week.

But anything is better than Budweiser's flagship product, IMO.

MGD tastes like getting served 'cause you can pass for early twenties even though you're not out of high school to me, so I sort of dig it. But it's been the better part of a decade since I have drank it.

Baldanders
07-30-2020, 05:33 PM
4:25 for the relevant part...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vv_LwwwpmU

"It takes two dogs to fight over a bone."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmPAT575-Ng&app=desktop

I say LE sells this as protecting the public by not showing up to a potential "fire dance."

Guerrero
08-21-2020, 11:43 AM
Well, thankfully this turned out to be a huge nothing-burger.