PDA

View Full Version : Sig to start selling P320 FCU's

Bigghoss
07-23-2020, 10:11 AM
TFBTV just put up this video announcing that Sig is going to start selling FCU's by themselves for folks that want to build one out like an AR. I'm interested but with a $299 MSRP I'm not excited. No other details yet, basically just a teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4EmalOQyQA

Bobert1035
07-23-2020, 10:16 AM
TFBTV just put up this video announcing that Sig is going to start selling FCU's by themselves for folks that want to build one out like an AR. I'm interested but with a $299 MSRP I'm not excited. No other details yet, basically just a teaser.

Makes a lot of sense to do it that way, but sounds like it will cost significantly more to build than a complete pistol.

jbrimlow
07-23-2020, 11:09 AM
Makes a lot of sense to do it that way, but sounds like it will cost significantly more to build than a complete pistol.

Yeah. It might make sense to do it if I could get it with a Gray guns trigger kit already in there or something, but otherwise I don't see why I'd bother.

spinmove_
07-23-2020, 12:06 PM
It’ll end up costing a bit more to piece it together than a complete pistol outright, but if you start seeing that you like random bits and pieces of some models that you want to slap together you siddenly start seeing that the complete pistol plus all your special goodies will cost you even more.

They should’ve been doing this from the start honestly. It would have really sold the concept of its modularity way better to everyone saying “who needs a removable FCU? It costs almost as much to buy a completely new gun anyway”.

HCM
07-23-2020, 12:34 PM

Weren't they already selling them to Wilson, ZEV etc ?

OlongJohnson
07-23-2020, 12:48 PM
It would make sense if you could order "a la carte." Buy the FCU, then choose the grip module (s), slide, barrel, sights, mags, etc. that you want. Have them put it together from the "custom shop" with a warranty and test function like a regular production gun.

Zincwarrior
07-23-2020, 01:24 PM
It would make sense if you could order "a la carte." Buy the FCU, then choose the grip module (s), slide, barrel, sights, mags, etc. that you want. Have them put it together from the "custom shop" with a warranty and test function like a regular production gun.

Yes, actually. At this point you can buy the grip and now FCU separately. You really just need the slide. You can get a Bar Sto barrel now...

ccmdfd
07-23-2020, 03:18 PM

Absolutely agree!

Wouldn't take much to design an ordering website.

98z28
07-23-2020, 03:30 PM
I'm actually pretty stoked about this. I have more grip modules and slides than I care to admit, but I don't have any FCUs with a manual safety except for a P365XL. I prefer the manual safety so much that I recently stopped carrying a 320 and went to the 365XL full time. The recent post here about potential drop safe issues with some 320 FCU's just made that a permanent choice. I've been holding off buying complete guns just to get a couple FCU's with manual safeties. I sure as heck don't need more parts. I still have a few 25% of codes from the dropgate repairs...oh wait...I mean voluntary upgrade.

I'll happily overpay a bit to not have more slides and grip modules hanging around...

Tokarev
07-23-2020, 04:56 PM
I'm actually pretty stoked about this. I have more grip modules and slides than I care to admit, but I don't have any FCUs with a manual safety except for a P365XL. I prefer the manual safety so much that I recently stopped carrying a 320 and went to the 365XL full time. The recent post here about potential drop safe issues with some 320 FCU's just made that a permanent choice. I've been holding off buying complete guns just to get a couple FCU's with manual safeties. I sure as heck don't need more parts. I still have a few 25% of codes from the dropgate repairs...oh wait...I mean voluntary upgrade.

I'll happily overpay a bit to not have more slides and grip modules hanging around...You may know already but AB Prototype will cut your FCU and sell/install the thumb safety bits for you.

No experience with this mod but thought I'd pass the info along.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

98z28
07-23-2020, 05:00 PM
Thank you. I am aware of their service, though I've been hesitant to void the warranty on my existing guns. I have reached out to them to ask about ordering an FCU that's been modified rather than modifying one of mine. I have yet to hear back, and it's been over a week.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

CanineCombatives
07-23-2020, 05:02 PM
Basing your decision to stop carrying P320's on the latest PF 320 attack thread is kind of like basing your financial decisions on a palm reader.

MrInox
07-23-2020, 05:23 PM
This is good news, I can put my p320 compact back together again.

Bigghoss
07-23-2020, 06:07 PM
Weren't they already selling them to Wilson, ZEV etc ?

Maybe, I don't know. But now they will sell them to the general public.

I hope they offer a version with a manual safety.

Tokarev
07-24-2020, 05:22 AM
Thank you. I am aware of their service, though I've been hesitant to void the warranty on my existing guns. I have reached out to them to ask about ordering an FCU that's been modified rather than modifying one of mine. I have yet to hear back, and it's been over a week.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using TapatalkHe does sell M17 FCUs also. I assume those are factory SIG items that are cut for the safety from factory.

98z28
07-24-2020, 11:25 AM
Basing your decision to stop carrying P320's on the latest PF 320 attack thread is kind of like basing your financial decisions on a palm reader.

Given Sig's recent history of being...less than straightforward, I'm comfortable erring on the side of caution this time. I have other options, so I'll just use those until we know more.

I want the P320 to work as bad as any fanboy. I shoot them measurably better than any other plastic fantastic out there, I actually dig the modular aspect of the gun, and I'm heavily invested in the system. And yet I am unwilling to stick my head in the sand and act as if there isn't a problem when there is some evidence to suggest otherwise. And to be clear, the possible issue is with a very specific range of P320's: Those manufactured before 4/2018 that have undergone the VUP modifications by Sig. All of my P320's happen to fall in this category, which is why I am shelving them until we learn more about the differences between those guns and the later ones. It may turn out that there is no issue, which would be awesome.

There are other reasons at play in my world beyond the latest drop safe rumors. I've never been comfortable carrying a single action gun without safety, and the news of more potential issues came at a time when I was already considering switching to the P365XL with a manual safety for carry until I could track down FCU's with safeties. This just solidified the decision in my mind. When Sig starts selling FCU's with manual safeties, I'll snag a few of those and roll on. That's why this news is exciting for me.

john c
07-25-2020, 12:55 AM
Given Sig's recent history of being...less than straightforward, I'm comfortable erring on the side of caution this time. I have other options, so I'll just use those until we know more.

I want the P320 to work as bad as any fanboy. I shoot them measurably better than any other plastic fantastic out there, I actually dig the modular aspect of the gun, and I'm heavily invested in the system. And yet I am unwilling to stick my head in the sand and act as if there isn't a problem when there is some evidence to suggest otherwise. And to be clear, the possible issue is with a very specific range of P320's: Those manufactured before 4/2018 that have undergone the VUP modifications by Sig. All of my P320's happen to fall in this category, which is why I am shelving them until we learn more about the differences between those guns and the later ones. It may turn out that there is no issue, which would be awesome.

There are other reasons at play in my world beyond the latest drop safe rumors. I've never been comfortable carrying a single action gun without safety, and the news of more potential issues came at a time when I was already considering switching to the P365XL with a manual safety for carry until I could track down FCU's with safeties. This just solidified the decision in my mind. When Sig starts selling FCU's with manual safeties, I'll snag a few of those and roll on. That's why this news is exciting for me.

This is exactly my thought. It's a great way to upgrade your pre-4/18 FCUs for not much money. I no longer own any P320s, but if I did, I would do this.

1973 Pintos were serviceable cars, but if you had one and they offered an upgraded gas tank, wouldn't you get one?

MK11
07-25-2020, 10:57 AM
If my Pinto’s gas tank might spontaneously explode, I’d be getting rid of it.

I’ve been a Sig nut hugger since the late 80’s but I already sent my 320 in once for an “upgrade.” If it turns out that buying an entirely new FCU is now required, I’m done.

falar
07-25-2020, 12:00 PM
Seems like a good way to increase profit margin and not have to deal with warranties and recalls.

CanineCombatives
07-27-2020, 01:09 PM
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/sig-sauer-will-sell-p320-custom-works-fire-control-units-and-roll-out-the-p320-collective/

TicTacticalTimmy
07-27-2020, 01:38 PM
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/sig-sauer-will-sell-p320-custom-works-fire-control-units-and-roll-out-the-p320-collective/

Based on the article it sounds like Sig is doing everything right. You will be able to order the parts to have a custom-ish P320 all from their website. Not only that, but they are smart enough to include the ability to buy P320 parts/accessories from a variety of manifacturers, not just Sig. This is a model to watch for firearms sales in the 21st century.

$300 MSRP seems reasonable for an FCU to me, especially if that settles down to $200-250. I bet there are plenty of people who will pay a little more for a custom-ish gun.

Bigghoss
07-31-2020, 10:37 AM
Full details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g80RfBQsuik

ccmdfd
08-01-2020, 07:56 AM
/\ /\

Have to say, that's pretty impressive looking.

Hopefully they can pull it off and make it work right

Zincwarrior
08-01-2020, 08:45 AM
/\ /\

Have to say, that's pretty impressive looking.

Hopefully they can pull it off and make it work right
Yes that's potentially very cool.

JCS
08-01-2020, 08:59 AM
This is pure genius. It's the AR of handguns now.

Tokarev
08-01-2020, 10:32 AM
Certain vendors have been stripping complete pistols and selling the FCUs on gunbroker for awhile. It only makes sense that SIG would try to cut out the middle man.

What do we know of Icarus Precision? This is the first I'm hearing of them.

AMC
08-01-2020, 03:27 PM
This is the "A la Carte" pistol that everyone has been asking for with this platform. Adding in the custom vendor links takes it to a whole different level. Gotta say, as annoying as they are to deal with as a company sometimes, and as duplicitous as their corporate leadership has been, this is a pure genius move on their part.

Doug
08-01-2020, 03:44 PM
Not for me but for the general firearms market, I would like to see more interest in third party vendors start making this work in rifle/long guns platforms...

Gerry Adams
08-03-2020, 04:53 PM
I had a an FCU, chassis only, awhile ago but sold it to a friend. Wish I had kept it, but now this will make another build much easier, good idea by Sig.

JonInWA
08-03-2020, 05:09 PM
It's a great idea conceptually. Where the rubber meets the road is in how well SIG will execute their manufacturing processes, component quality and QC. Literally all of the P320 issues that I'm aware of have eminated from the FCU, not from any of the ancilliary components of the P320 (although it's interesting how the barrel breech geometry seems to have changed in the evolution process).

Best, Jon