PDA

View Full Version : LTT 92 TJIB sear difficulties

ArgentFix
07-23-2020, 04:04 AM
I'm working my way through an LTT TJIB self-install and am stuck at fitting the new sear. In this video Ernest is able to flip the new sear up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miiYOzvmj0E&feature=youtu.be&t=535

but my TJIB sear will not go all the way up past this angle:

Refitting the old sear is able to flip all the way up:

Last week I asked LTT about springs related to this install but received no response so I'm hoping here might be faster. Does the TJIB sear require custom fitting or something else I'm missing?

LittleLebowski
07-23-2020, 07:02 AM
LangdonTactical

CraigS
07-23-2020, 07:49 AM
I didn't watch the 16 minute video but I don't understand why you want to move the sear 'up'. I have a small pair of needle nose pliers that I use to install the sear. It put it into position from the top of the frame. I lay the frame on it's right side, put the sear into position, and push the sear pin through from the left side. I then push it a little further so it isn't in the slot where the spring sits. I pick the front of the frame up so the frame is sitting on the bench pointing up and I drop the spring into position. Now is the most difficult part, pushing the spring down so I can push the pin through it. It usually takes 3-4 tries and a curse word or two.

Stony Lane
07-23-2020, 09:02 AM
If the sear spring pin goes in too easy, then I know I've done it wrong! (flip it over - coil bump toward the magazine well)

ArgentFix
07-23-2020, 11:50 AM
I didn't watch the 16 minute video but I don't understand why you want to move the sear 'up'. I have a small pair of needle nose pliers that I use to install the sear. It put it into position from the top of the frame. I lay the frame on it's right side, put the sear into position, and push the sear pin through from the left side. I then push it a little further so it isn't in the slot where the spring sits. I pick the front of the frame up so the frame is sitting on the bench pointing up and I drop the spring into position. Now is the most difficult part, pushing the spring down so I can push the pin through it. It usually takes 3-4 tries and a curse word or two.

Thanks CraigS! I had tried various levels of cursing but none worked. Your written instructions worked better for me than the video. To clarify, the sear wasn't swinging fully into position once the pin was in place, but after a good night's sleep and some patience I managed to get the new sear and spring installed.

CraigS
07-23-2020, 12:04 PM
I am glad it worked out for you. Let us know how you like the TJIB. What hammer spring weight did you install? I have found 13# to be reliable w/ most ammo. I use a 12# but it has to have the skeleton hammer (comes w/ the TJIB) and I only shoot Federal or CCI Independence aluminum ammo w/ it.

ArgentFix
07-23-2020, 01:04 PM
14# hammer spring. This gun was vetted years ago stock with gold dots so I leaned heavier to keep that option. Also chose Elite II hammer and LTT trigger bar in NP3 to match the INOX :) Trigger feels amazing in dry fire. Hopefully I can shoot it soon!

Funny you mention Independence aluminum. A couple years before this recent apocalypse I bought a couple cases of that for (I think) under $150 each. I had erratic ejection and BTF in other guns but my 92 fired and ejected it perfectly so I shot nearly 2000 rounds through it.