PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated .45 suppressor host

Nephrology
07-20-2020, 02:52 PM
So my Form 4 for my Octane 45HD finally arrived at the ATF's NFA branch. Now for the long wait. Have been thinking about what I want to do with this can. While I plan to buy a couple threaded 9mm Glock barrels, I really like the idea of having a dedicated .45 suppressor host.

Most of the shooting I do with my 9mm glocks is from the holster, where the can is not helpful, and the .45s I have are not optimal for suppressing (crappy RIA 1911 and a M&P45 midsize that nobody seems makes a threaded barrel for). Besides, this is an excuse to buy something ridiculously awesome that I couldn't otherwise justify. I'm not buying any time soon with the market as it is, but I've started setting a little money aside so I will have the cash in a year when my stamp goes through.

So, basically I am looking for a fullsize .45 that is ready to be suppressed from the factory. This leads me inexorably towards HK. The USP 45 Tactical, in particular. However, open to the HK45 and HK45c Tactical models, too.

Is there really any other gun I should consider here? Have thought about an M&P45 as I already have some mags, but the HK just seems... cooler?

Not gonna buy the FN45. Any other suggestions? Not sure if there are some .45s that will run better suppressed than others, though I imagine 1911s are not high on the list

OlongJohnson
07-20-2020, 03:14 PM
The USP 45 Tactical.

Is there really any other gun I should consider here?

No.*

*Except for a Contender carbine, because it won't even have the noise of the slide cycling.

Paul D
07-20-2020, 03:15 PM
I have a both a Glock 21 and H&K USP Tactical. The H&K is cooler and more accurate but the Glock is convenient. The H&K has that weird left hand threading. This caused some problems for me when I cranked on the can, I would unwitting loosen the mid section of my AAC Ti-Rant 45.

JRB
07-20-2020, 03:38 PM
Some years back, I got to put a few mags through a USP45T with a USP45T-specific suppressor made by KAC. The owner had chosen because (according to him) any suppressor other than Knight's or B&T voids the HK warranty. But it shot very well, no noticeable first round pop, very accurate and very much hearing-safe. It looked very cool with the KAC can, too.

If not an HK, though, I would get a G21 + threaded barrel and get an RDS cut/suppressor height Trijicons done. I had a ball with a borrowed 'range try' on a G21SF w/Jarvis barrel and an early SiCo Osprey 45 - it shot very accurately and the muzzle climb basically didn't exist. It was an absolute pleasure to shoot. It was always hearing safe and it ran very well. The owner said he just dropped the barrel in and started shooting and never needed to mess with it. The years that separated the HK and this Glock experience made it difficult to say which one was really better.

The same owner had a Dan Wesson 1911 with a factory threaded barrel, and while it ran great and accurately without the Osprey mounted, it seldom made it through a whole mag with it mounted (stovepipes). There was something very cool about a suppressed 1911 though. I didn't personally shoot the Dan Wesson because I was having so much fun with his G21, and I didn't want to impose further.

OlongJohnson
07-20-2020, 04:21 PM
*Except for a Contender carbine, because it won't even have the noise of the slide cycling.

Just remembered the Octane is rated for .300 BLK subs, so just get this instead of a Contender:

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/cva-scout-td-compact-300aac

farscott
07-20-2020, 04:42 PM
If .45-70 did not generate too much gas volume, I would have used a Marlin 1895 for a host. The .45 Colt Marlin 1894 is a great host if you can find one. Ringing steel with one is a figurative blast, not a literal one.

For pistols, the consensus of the HK45CT makes sense to me.

fatdog
07-20-2020, 04:46 PM
I have an Osprey and was able to snag a factory threaded barrel for my full size USP 45 from Midwest gun works several years ago, I guess it is the tactical model barrel. It works very well. I tried the Osprey on a gen 1 M&P45 and it ran ok, but for whatever reason was not as accurate as the same gun was unsupressed. At some point I should also get a threaded barrel for my HK45C I guess.

Seven_Sicks_Two
07-24-2020, 01:09 PM
I'm just gonna throw this out there...

This is a good excuse to buy a Mark 23.

757_Magnum
07-25-2020, 01:14 PM
My Octane 45 recently came home, and I've been trying to decide between putting it on the G21 or grabbing one of the new factory threaded Ruger 77/44s and handloading 300 gr subs for it, and maybe SBRing the latter if I enjoy it enough.

OlongJohnson
07-25-2020, 01:20 PM

If you're in the NBA, maybe. If you have merely XXXL hands, like me, stick with the USP 45 FS.

Hansohn Brothers
07-25-2020, 01:25 PM
The H&K has that superior left hand threading.
Fixed it for you. ;)

CCT125US
07-25-2020, 01:33 PM
I've got an Octane 9HD, should have went with the .45 as I could have also used it on my HK .45c.

The can is superbly accurate when tight, no FRP, and easily clocked to adjust POI.

El Cid
07-25-2020, 06:29 PM
I have an Osprey 45k and use it with a Glock 21 Gen 4. Very happy with it and even with the KKM bbl it was probably less expensive than the HK options.

JRB
07-26-2020, 03:01 PM
My Octane 45 recently came home, and I've been trying to decide between putting it on the G21 or grabbing one of the new factory threaded Ruger 77/44s and handloading 300 gr subs for it, and maybe SBRing the latter if I enjoy it enough.

Why not both?

olstyn
07-26-2020, 04:31 PM

If you're in the NBA, maybe. If you have merely XXXL hands, like me, stick with the USP 45 FS.

So is it wrong that the only *real* reason I even clicked on this thread was to make sure that somebody had mentioned the most tactically gigantic pistol ever? :)

757_Magnum
07-26-2020, 06:05 PM
Why not both?

I probably will end up with both eventually. I mainly picked up the G21 as part of a recent project to acquire the most common platforms/trigger actions/calibers for familiarity and some diversity after I had pretty much downsized and standardized to 9mm Glocks and 5.56 ARs in recent years. As much as I like 45 ACP, in the past I found that I didn't shoot it as much as my 9mms since it didn't really offer me anything that they did since I only reload 147 gr. At this point it's a backup gun/caliber that I kind of want to keep stock, or I'd have to mill it and slap an RMR on it to bring it up to the level of my other Glocks. Although a bolt action 44 Mag shooting heavy subs is a deviation from my current approach to my arsenal, it provides a capability that I don't currently have. I'm leaning towards the Ruger for now, and after I recover from my recent bout of financial irresponsibility, doing the G21 way down the road as well as getting another 45 suppressor since I don't want to mess with remembering to swap between the piston and fixed barrel assembly.

So is it wrong that the only *real* reason I even clicked on this thread was to make sure that somebody had mentioned the most tactically gigantic pistol ever? :)

I got to play with someone's MK23 at a match a couple weeks ago. He had the original LAM on it, but had a Gemtech instead of a Knight's Armament suppressor on it. It was accurate and fun, but yeah... it's Desert Eagle big.

Nephrology
07-29-2020, 08:31 AM

Believe, my childhood memories of playing Rainbow Six will weigh heavily on this purchase.

Realistically I am going to end up with at least 2 .45s....

ScotchMan
10-08-2020, 05:50 PM
So what did you get?

Poconnor
10-23-2020, 10:49 AM
I think the HK USP or HK45 would be the quick & easy solution but I can’t help wanting a Dan Wesson Vigil. Anybody know of a suppressor that would be reliable with the Vigil?