PDA

View Full Version : Gun Myths (that gunnies tend to believe)

Joe in PNG
03-17-2011, 03:32 AM
That there are a lot of myths, lies, and misinformation amount the general non-shooting public is facts that pretty much everyone here knows. However, there is a large body of mythology that even the firearms aficionado tends to hang on to. Here are a few myths I’ve seen reinstated on the internets lately:

The belief that the perfect lady’s gun is a lightweight, snub-nosed revolver.
The overall thought that a revolver in general is the perfect gun choice for those who will never practice with it.
That the .45ACP (or insert the hot caliber of the moment) is some sort of Instant Death Bullet, capable of knocking anyone right down.
That the 1911 is the epitome of pistols, nay, of firearms technology!

Anyway, here's to hoping our panel of distinguished S.M.E’s and others will bust these and other myths that have accumulated over the years.

DocGKR
03-17-2011, 11:08 AM
I encourage everyone to the read the myth busting stickies about wound ballistics I have posted here: http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91.

VolGrad
03-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Here's some more I see too often ....

A GLOCK will NEVER have a malfunction.

A shotgun is a point and shoot weapon. In fact, you prob don't even need to fire it. Just rack the slide and all bad guys will immediately poop themselves and flee the premises.

"Turkey load" is the best choice for a shotgun used for HD. Anything else is overkill.

A carbine used for HD will likely shoot through your walls and into the neighbors house, killing all inside.

Kyle Reese
03-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Let's see here.....

The AR system is inherently unreliable.....

The AK series is immune to malfunctions, and doesn't require end user maintenance... (bovine excrement).

Anyone carrying a 9mm is a "sissy".

Conversely, the .45 ACP has magical "knockdown" power, and is immune from the laws of physics. Also, carrying one makes one more masculine.

Using the .50 BMG against enemy combatants violates the Geneva Convention (heard this BS in the .MIL)

The Soviets designed their firearms so they can shoot our ammo in wartime, but we cannot shoot theirs. (heard this many times in the .MIL)

Jay Cunningham
03-17-2011, 12:20 PM
The AR system is inherently unreliable.....

The AK series is immune to malfunctions, and doesn't require end user maintenance... (bovine excrement).

Yeah man.

Generally the AR is way more reliable and the AK is way more accurate than either are given credit for.

Kyle Reese
03-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Taking LAV's AK Operator Class really opened my eyes to how accurate the AK can be given the following critera are met.

-Dialed in end user

-Properly zeroed rifle

-Decent ammo

As for the AR:

Mags
Extractor
Ammo
Lube

Keep it lubed, fed good ammo with good mags and it will most likely run well. :cool:

Yeah man.

Generally the AR is way more reliable and the AK is way more accurate than either are given credit for.

Pistol Shooter
03-17-2011, 12:31 PM

In fact, you prob don't even need to fire it. Just rack the slide and all bad guys will immediately poop themselves and flee the premises.

I actually heard a salesman in a gunshop tell this to a customer recently. :eek:

Couldn't believe it.

My wife and I just looked at each other and burst out laughing.

jetfire
03-17-2011, 12:38 PM
My all-time favorite is "revolvers don't jam". As someone that's had to literally beat a case out of a revolver with a mallet, torn the sideplate off my revo in the safe area at a match, I can officially call "bullcrap" on that one.

TCinVA
03-17-2011, 12:51 PM
My all-time favorite is "revolvers don't jam". As someone that's had to literally beat a case out of a revolver with a mallet, torn the sideplate off my revo in the safe area at a match, I can officially call "bullcrap" on that one.

On another site I saw this gem recently:

"A semi-auto pistol is one sure shot and 17 chances for a malfunction. With a revolver you're sure to get your six."

I had to sit down for a moment after reading that. I felt dizzy.

Mitchell, Esq.
03-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Potato-Chipping: Hitting someone wearing body armor with a shotgun and believing they will be like a bag of chips, all broken inside even if the outside is intact.

I guess that's something I believed and was corrected of recently.

MTechnik
03-17-2011, 01:06 PM

A shotgun is a point and shoot weapon. In fact, you prob don't even need to fire it. Just rack the slide and all bad guys will immediately poop themselves and flee the premises.

Also, the shotgun can be fired from the hip with buckshot, and the spread will magically hit the target, no matter how poorly aimed.

Kyle Reese
03-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Here are a few more:

Training is bad/stupid/unnecessary, as people will automatically know how to effectively handle a firearm under duress.

Simply buying a firearm is sufficient- no need to take it to the range to ensure it functions. :rolleyes:

F-Trooper05
03-17-2011, 01:11 PM
JHP's = Cop Killers

jslaker
03-17-2011, 01:12 PM
To expound on a myth already pointed out - that revolvers are "simpler" than semiautomatics.

This a a S&W 686:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57753/firearms/sw-lframe.gif

This is a Glock:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57753/firearms/glockparts.gif

Nearly 90 parts to 34. A series of intricate clockwork mechanisms to cycle the action versus a clever application of Newton's second law and a few springs.

I know which one is simpler by my reckoning.

jslaker
03-17-2011, 01:13 PM
JHP's = Cop Killers

JHPs are always best.

VolGrad
03-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Simply buying a firearm is sufficient- no need to take it to the range to ensure it functions. :rolleyes:
Wait .... what? Are you trying to tell me a NIB gun straight from the factory isn't going to run perfectly? I thought you were supposed to immediately load a new gun with nuclear tipped hollow point ammo and start carrying it? I must be doing something wrong.

:o

jetfire
03-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Here are a few more:

Training is bad/stupid/unnecessary, as people will automatically know how to effectively handle a firearm under duress.

The extension of that: since most defensive gun uses don't involve any shots fired, you don't need to practice and you don't need to get a really good gun.

BigT
03-17-2011, 01:44 PM
One that always makes me want to kick people in the fork:

If you need more than six shots you shouldn't have been there in the first place.

mc1911
03-17-2011, 01:51 PM
"My all-time favorite is "revolvers don't jam". As someone that's had to literally beat a case out of a revolver with a mallet, torn the sideplate off my revo in the safe area at a match, I can officially call "bullcrap" on that one."

Caleb, you should examine your relationships. Friends don't let friends shoot revo.

jetfire
03-17-2011, 02:10 PM
For fun, a list of things that have gone wrong with revos that I've shot:

Split casing in the cylinder of a 625 that had to be extracted with a mallet
broken trigger return in the middle of a match
Colt Trooper locked up hard after shooting 2 cylinders of .357 Magnum and had to be opened with a mallet

The very big problem with a revolver is that if it fails to go "bang" for any reason other than a dud round, it's really difficult to fix the problem without the use of tools.

TCinVA
03-17-2011, 02:23 PM
One that always makes me want to kick people in the fork:

If you need more than six shots you shouldn't have been there in the first place.

That one makes me see red as well. As if you get to pick what sort of gunfight you'll be in. Some speak as if drawing the gun is one of half a dozen reasonable options at their disposal. I've always contended that you're likely reaching for the gun because you are flat out of other options.

ToddG
03-17-2011, 03:41 PM
"You can't beat a man with a drawn gun."

"No one ever won a gunfight with a fast draw."

Pistol Shooter
03-17-2011, 03:45 PM
"You can't beat a man with a drawn gun."

"No one ever won a gunfight with a fast draw."

I've never heard those. Hilarious! :D

LittleLebowski
03-17-2011, 04:09 PM
A .45ACP will take your arm off

LittleLebowski
03-17-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm considering starting a Primary - rifle, Secondary - pistol, Tertiary - knife meme.

beltjones
03-17-2011, 04:15 PM
One of my favorites: The best way to pick a gun is to go to a range and see what fits your hand the best.

...as if a beginner has any idea what "fits your hand" means. Or that a gun "fitting your hand" is even that important.

This one will be controversial: What makes a trigger good or bad is how it resets. It may just be me, but I think the really important thing is how it BREAKS. I mean, how many shots have you pulled low left because you were anticipating the reset?

ToddG
03-17-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm considering starting a Primary - rifle, Secondary - pistol, Tertiary - knife meme.

That will just rile the Primary - knife, Secondary - Tae Kwon Leap, Teritiary - pistol meme people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g1Z3V0QBpg&feature=related

Meme people suck.

Joe in PNG
03-17-2011, 04:29 PM
There's a lot of "gurls are dumb and weak" when it comes to firearms:

*Semi-autos are too complicated for gurls cuz they are dumb.
*Semi-autos are too hard to use gurls cuz they are weak.
*Gurls should carry mouseguns cuz full sized autos are too powerful.
*Gurls should carry lightweight revolvers.
*You shouldn't insist that gurls get training, cuz they don't wanna learn about guns.

jslaker
03-17-2011, 04:50 PM

*You shouldn't insist that gurls get training, cuz they don't wanna learn about guns.

Oh god, you have successfully raised my blood pressure several points with but a single post.

Joe in PNG
03-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Oh god, you have successfully raised my blood pressure several points with but a single post.

:D

jetfire
03-17-2011, 05:21 PM

I swear, I am going to get my co-blogger to do a video where we film her doing her operating a hair drier, then driving a manual transmission car to a gun store, only to be told by the gun shop employee that she needs a revolver because "semi-autos are too complicated".

MTechnik
03-17-2011, 05:41 PM
why do I need hollow points? if I shoot him with these wwb fmj's he'll stop.

and its old buddy:

22lr is fine. it kills more people each year than any other round. here, let me shoot you with one.

Kyle Reese
03-17-2011, 05:47 PM
All of which run contrary to my experience / observations with females in basic firearms classes & structured range sessions.

A few weekends ago, a friend & myself went shooting with some ladies at the NRA Range. Every one of them shot extremely well, with a P-30 and Glock 17 w/ AA .22upper.

I take none of the credit for their excellent shooting, of course. That's due to their ability to follow instructions and my friend's superb class prior to going to the range.

Wheeler
03-17-2011, 07:06 PM
A .45 will knock a grown man off his feet
The 1911 is the world's finest combat handgun
Don't carry a gun unless the caliber starts with .4
.45 and .40 make bigger holes, ergo they are more lethal
A short 12 guage w/ a pistol grip is the best weapon for home defense, because the shot will fill a room.
Placing a Pump Action shotgun into battery will scare off more would be burgalers than any pistol.
I want a weapon mounted light on my pistol because I can take cover at the corner of the hallway, slice the pie, blind and engage and not expose myself.
We recommend these revolvers (Rossi .357 Mag, J Frame) because they fit their small hands and they are light enough to carry in the purse.
Why would you carry TWO magazines with 17 rounds? Aren't you a good enough shot to kill them with the first 17?
I carry a .357 Mag because the muzzle flash will scare them off.
Why would you carry a gun with no external safety? That thing could go off in your holster...
I like revolvers because they are inherently safer than semi-autos.

Oh the list goes on and on and on....

gtmtnbiker98
03-17-2011, 07:33 PM
I've got one.

A trigger job will improve my poor shooting skills. Seems to be a popular theme on a popular HK Web site.

F-Trooper05
03-17-2011, 07:41 PM
I've got one.

A trigger job will improve my poor shooting skills. Seems to be a popular theme on a popular HK Web site.

HAHAHA!!!!

gtmtnbiker98
03-17-2011, 07:52 PM
HAHAHA!!!!Glad you liked it. This forum is my definite new home.

willowofwisp
03-17-2011, 08:21 PM
I was once told by a fellow club member if i shoot a 19c at night ill go totally blind..and the same guy also told me that I couldn't carry my winchester ranger-T LEO ammo...because it was against the law LOL.

VolGrad
03-17-2011, 08:29 PM
I was once told by a fellow club member if i shoot a 19c at night ill go totally blind..

I love that about the "C" model GLOCKs. I had a G19C for a while and used to hear that crap all the time. None who talked that crap had ever fired one themselves. They just "heard" that is what happened or saw one fired from a distance in low light and assumed if it was that flashy from 10 yards away it must be blinding behind the sights. Idiots.

Kyle Reese
03-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Being the stellar human being that I am, I'll take it off your hands for proper disposal. (J/K) :cool:

I was once told by a fellow club member if i shoot a 19c at night ill go totally blind..and the same guy also told me that I couldn't carry my winchester ranger-T LEO ammo...because it was against the law LOL.

jslaker
03-17-2011, 09:05 PM
.45 and .40 make bigger holes, ergo they are more lethal
I love that this particular one often involves someone who genuinely believes an extra 2.5mm of projectile diameter will make a huge difference but shoots quarterly at best.

VolGrad
03-17-2011, 09:12 PM
I love that this particular one often involves someone who genuinely believes an extra 2.5mm of projectile diameter will make a huge difference but shoots quarterly at best.

That is funny. I think a lot of people think 9mm is for "beginners" or "novice" shooters. They think anyone who is serious about shooting goes with something "bigger". :rolleyes:

TCinVA
03-17-2011, 09:12 PM
I've got one.

Somewhat related:

"Glocks always shoot low and left for me."

Imagine that.

Kyle Reese
03-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Plenty of bad guys have been planted with the "wimpy" 9mm since 2001 in the GWOT. Guess they never got the memo.
:)

That is funny. I think a lot of people think 9mm is for "beginners" or "novice" shooters. They think anyone who is serious about shooting goes with something "bigger". :rolleyes:

dookie1481
03-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Using the .50 BMG against enemy combatants violates the Geneva Convention (heard this BS in the .MIL)

In Scout/Sniper school one of the instructors told us that the Raufoss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raufoss_Mk_211) projectile was indeed banned by the Geneva Convention, though he did say that a shitload of bad guys got shot with it anyway.

jslaker
03-17-2011, 09:42 PM
In Scout/Sniper school one of the instructors told us that the Raufoss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raufoss_Mk_211) projectile was indeed banned by the Geneva Convention, though he did say that a shitload of bad guys got shot with it anyway.

Wouldn't that be because the Raufoss is essentially HE? .50 ball shouldn't have that issue.

That said I will say that it always amused me that a good friend of mine that was USMC Scout/Sniper always talked about how much he hated the Barrett and was glad he never had to fire one from a hide.

dookie1481
03-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Wouldn't that be because the Raufoss is essentially HE? .50 ball shouldn't have that issue.

That said I will say that it always amused me that a good friend of mine that was USMC Scout/Sniper always talked about how much he hated the Barrett and was glad he never had to fire one from a hide.

Yeah, according to JAG it's legal, but there is some controversy apparently.

I have some funny video of me firing the Barrett. It's funny because I'm 5'5" and at the time was about 140 pounds. Even with the monstrous muzzle brake that thing was tossing me all over the place :D

jslaker
03-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Yeah, according to JAG it's legal, but there is some controversy apparently.

I have some funny video of me firing the Barrett. It's funny because I'm 5'5" and at the time was about 140 pounds. Even with the monstrous muzzle brake that thing was tossing me all over the place :D

Heh yeah, my buddy is about your size, so I'm sure that's part of the hate. :)

Jay Cunningham
03-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Somewhat related:

Imagine that.

I hear this one constantly.

turbolag23
03-18-2011, 07:35 AM
I like the 50 bmg myths and rumors.

I have a video of my girlfriend shooting an Armalite AR-50, she did really well. never shot a Barrett though.

JV_
03-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Somewhat related:

Imagine that.

You should take a micrometer to a Heinie rear sight (that fits a Glock) ... see if your notch is centered up.

From the left side of the notch to the outside left edge = .285"
From the right side of the notch to the outside right edge = .275"

jetfire
03-18-2011, 12:54 PM
You should take a micrometer to a Heinie rear sight (that fits a Glock) ... see if your notch is centered up.

From the left side of the notch to the outside left edge = .285"
From the right side of the notch to the outside right edge = .275"

A really fun extension to this - go to a public indoor range sometime and rent a gun that has adjustable sights. I'll bet you dollars to pesos that the sights have been pushed all the way over to the right to compensate for the gun hitting "low and to the left".

turbolag23
03-18-2011, 12:58 PM
A really fun extension to this - go to a public indoor range sometime and rent a gun that has adjustable sights. I'll bet you dollars to pesos that the sights have been pushed all the way over to the right to compensate for the gun hitting "low and to the left".

that would mess up left handed shooters, i shoot to the right.

BigT
03-18-2011, 01:08 PM

Years ago the school I worked at had a public range. Often on a Saturday some dude o another would be shooting what looked like 35m buckshot patterns at 7m with his pistol. He would then explain that his sights were out. We would then wonder up to the club house with the gun. Have a smoke and a coke not touch the sights and wonder back.

Then we would give him back his (untouched) gun and say that the sights are now sorted. Everytime he would then shoot another pattern and tell us how much better it was now that the sights were sorted.

TCinVA
03-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Another that I can't stand:

Fine Motor Skill

Kyle Reese
03-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Like operating the trigger? :cool:

Another that I can't stand:

Fine Motor Skill