PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26.5 with grip work vs G43x

Savage Hands
07-19-2020, 11:16 AM
I’m in California unfortunately and I don’t feel like paying $1,300+ for a G43x outright so I’d either need to sell my G26.5 I overpaid for or modify it to fit my fat hand better. I shoot the 26.5 well out to full size Glock distances but it doesn’t ‘feel’ as good in the hand as a G43x/48 which I think I’d be more consistent and confident in the draw. I need to make the decision soon as my CCW renewal is coming up in a few months and I can list “up to” 3 handguns by serial number. Has anyone had success having an undercut and/or grip work done that’s improved how the G26 handles for them? I was looking at going through Boresight Solutions or Battlecock Tactical for the grip work but open to suggestions.

ECVMatt
07-19-2020, 01:28 PM
I'm in CA as well so I understand your conundrum.

Here are a couple of thoughts:

First try Magpul 12 round magazines if you happened to purchase them during "Freedom Week". I use them in my 26 all the time and they have proven reliable and comfortable. They make the 26 fit my large sized hands and don't add much to the bottom.

You might also try a grip sleeve with a Glock 19 magazine.

I undercut almost all my Glocks, but found that it did not do much on the 26 for me. There is just not much there to begin with.

I have both the 43 and 48. I really like the grip of the 48/43X and it does fit my larger hands very well. If you are near LA and want to try my undercut 26 in comparison to the 48/43X, I could probably make that happen.

Hopefully this is helpful,

Matt

L-2
07-19-2020, 02:44 PM
I'd forget G43X completely as it's just not affordable and too difficult to obtain for a Californian. I also suspect/assume the OP can easily qualify with the G26Gen5 but would just prefer something more comfortable.

Obtaining a G26Gen5 in CA must have been difficult or expensive enough. It's relatively lucky to have one in CA at all if not an exempt-from-roster-person.

"Fat hand" was mentioned and that leads to trying the "medium" or "large" backstraps + with/without the beavertail versions, then shooting a lot more, which will allow getting used to whichever grip configuration works best. I can see also trying a grip sleeve along with either of the five grip options of a G26Gen5.

I realize the 9mm is currently the preferred caliber, but in this case with someone with extra-large hands, I'll recommend considering a larger Glock, such as a G30SF or G30 (.45ACP), which are still on-roster, btw. Finding one right now, may not be possible prior to the OP's re-qual date, however.

Whatever the case, qualify with one, two, or three handguns as Calif. prefers and then be on the lookout for a substitute handgun for the next 2 year re-qual (I think it's 2 years in CA). I think there's a procedure for adding/substituting a different s/n'd handgun prior to the permit period but it's likely difficult/inconvenient/costs-more-$.

Let us know how everything works out and what guns end up on that ccw permit.
(BTW, in NV, I just need to qualify with a handgun, regardless of who owns it, then after the qual, I can carry any handgun I want {no specified handgun, although some counties may still be recording what handgun was used for the qual}. It's too bad all states aren't as lenient.)

Savage Hands
07-19-2020, 03:14 PM
Thanks guys, I’ll most likely just stick with my 26.5, 19.4 and probably make a snubby the 3rd. Thank you for the offer ECVMatt unfortunately I’m in Northern California and not going down to So Cal soon.

L-2 yeah I paid $800 for a NIB 26.5 two years ago from a Deputy. I’ll probably grab a 43x after my renewal and see if they will allow me to add it on in the future. Fortunately the have enough 9mm FMJ on hand for for qualification and enough defense 9mm to get through this nonsense.

Doc_Glock
07-19-2020, 03:46 PM
With the CA hassle factor and the fact that you shoot the G26 well, I would not bother at all with a 43X.

Savage Hands
08-01-2020, 01:13 AM
Well I made a G48 happen and you don’t want to know what it cost me :o
Anyways, time to replace the serrated trigger, order a SCD, Ameriglo Trooper sights, Talon Pro grips and a DSG holster. :cool:

vandal
08-01-2020, 10:43 AM
Consider yourself fortunate, I only get two on my Nor Cal permit. G48 and G19.5. No regrets. Also have a G26 I haven't shot in years. I found when I want a "smaller" gun for more fashionable events what I really want is a "thinner" package with less belt bulge which starts with a thinner gun. Tried a 43 but it was way too squirmy in my XL hands.

Anyways, time to replace the serrated trigger, order a SCD, Ameriglo Trooper sights, Talon Pro grips and a DSG holster. :cool:

Savage Hands
08-01-2020, 10:50 AM
Consider yourself fortunate, I only get two on my Nor Cal permit. G48 and G19.5. No regrets. Also have a G26 I haven't shot in years. I found when I want a "smaller" gun for more fashionable events what I really want is a "thinner" package with less belt bulge which starts with a thinner gun. Tried a 43 but it was way too squirmy in my XL hands.

I never heard of only two before, do you mind sharing which county???

Kram
08-01-2020, 02:12 PM

Let us know how you like it and how it shoots compared to your 26. I have been strongly tempted by the 48 recently.

Savage Hands
08-01-2020, 02:17 PM
Let us know how you like it and how it shoots compared to your 26. I have been strongly tempted by the 48 recently.

I’m definitely shooting it when I go to qualify for my CCW in a few weeks, after that my shooting will be limited due to ammo availability with all this nonsense going on. Depending on how I shoot it the first time it may be sitting in my safe until I get more range time.