PDA

View Full Version : Three Glock red dot pistols to do it all

GJM
07-11-2020, 06:37 PM
My uses for a pistol mostly fall into EDC, competition, training and field use. While I have more than three Glock pistols, if I had to, I think I could cover all my needs with three red dot Glock pistols:

A Gen 5 17 MOS with a SRO and a CHPWS V4 defender plate.

A Gen 5 19 MOS with an Acro, a Tango Down Acro MOS plate and Ameriglo BUIS.

A Gen 5 45 direct milled for the RMR/SRO/Holosun footprint, one or more optics from that footprint group, and Ameriglo BUIS.

The 17 would be my USPSA Carry Optics pistol, the 19 would be my EDC, and the 45 would be primary for field use and back up to the 17 and 19.

Done.

Caballoflaco
07-11-2020, 06:51 PM
The most interesting part of that list is to me is the acro for your edc. Have you been edc’ing an acro set up for a while, and have you posted holster pics here?

1911Nut
07-11-2020, 06:54 PM
My uses for a pistol mostly fall into EDC, competition, training and field use. While I have more than three Glock pistols, if I had to, I think I could cover all my needs with three red dot Glock pistols:

A Gen 5 45 direct milled for the RMR/SRO/Holosun footprint, one or more optics from that footprint group, and Ameriglo BUIS.

The 17 would be my USPSA Carry Optics pistol, the 19 would be my EDC, and the 45 would be primary for field use and back up to the 17 and 19.

Done.

I don't shoot Glock pistols anymore, but often find myself daydreaming about getting it all done with two or three pistols, and my "list" is very similar. I have nowhere near the expertise or skill of George, but my choices would be:

1. Gen 5 G17 direct milled with 5 MOA SRO - IDPA Carry Optics pistol
2. Gen 5 G19 direct milled with 5 MOA SRO and Ameriglo BUIS - EDC
3. Gen 5 G17 with Ameriglo Hackathorn Gen 5 iron sights - Backup EDC and IDPA SSP pistol

Whirlwind06
07-11-2020, 07:14 PM
My list is similar G34.5 and two gen 19s. The 34 is my gaming gun and the 19 primary and back up EDC, and can be used for matches. I have holosun 407 on the 34 and one 19 working on getting the 2nd one set up for optics. If I could find a gen 5 19 or 45 I would upgrade, but I'm happy with the gen 3 for now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Doc_Glock
07-11-2020, 07:39 PM

Done.

I think you mixed up your Field optic with your EDC optic. Otherwise. Yep those will do nicely.

Lon
07-11-2020, 07:44 PM
My list:

G19.4 - ATEi direct milled RMR/ TTT stippling is my duty gun.

G19.3 - Make Ready Firearms frame job, Brownells/SWP/AIM Surplus/SRO Roland top end is my CO/Open gun.

G48 - Stipp Grips frame job and soon to be Roland’d as my off duty.

LOKNLOD
07-11-2020, 07:52 PM
I'm really curious about some whys here, G.

Why the direct mill specifically for the 3rd option?
Why a 45 vs. 17 for those two applications? (why not both one or the other)

GJM
07-11-2020, 08:02 PM
Sorry, I mix and match my 19/45/19X pieces depending upon which optic and lower I want. When I said 19 for EDC, I was referring to the 19 frame.

O4L
07-11-2020, 08:03 PM

Why a 45 vs. 17 for those two applications? (why not both one or the other)Same questions I have.

GJM
07-11-2020, 08:08 PM

Why a 45 vs. 17 for those two applications? (why not both one or the other)

I think a direct mill installation is stronger/more secure, and places the optic lower, which allows you to use a .315 front sight rather than .350 with a RMR/SRO/Holosun 507. Since the RMR footprint allows use of an RMR, SRO and Holosun, I don’t think you are giving up too much going with a direct mill.

The Acro is still low with the Tango Down MOS plate, so I think MOS makes sense in case the 509T turns out to be more desirable.

On my competition gun, I want the flexibility to run whatever is best at that moment, so MOS makes sense — especially with a great plate like the V4.

G45 is a crossover gun that can act large or small, so it is a perfect “third pistol.”

LOKNLOD
07-11-2020, 08:12 PM
I think a direct mill installation is stronger/more secure, and places the optic lower, which allows you to use a .315 front sight rather than .350 with a RMR/SRO/Holosun 507. Since the RMR footprint allows use of an RMR, SRO and Holosun, I don’t think you are giving up too much going with a direct mill.

The Acro is still low with the Tango Down MOS plate, so I think MOS makes sense in case the 509T turns out to be more desirable.

On my competition gun, I want the flexibility to run whatever is best at that moment, so MOS makes sense — especially with a great plate like the V4.

G45 is a crossover gun that can act large or small, so it is a perfect “third pistol.”

That makes sense (as expected). Why the 17 for carry optics vs. another 45?

GJM
07-11-2020, 08:24 PM
That makes sense (as expected). Why the 17 for carry optics vs. another 45?

I have spent a fair amount of time with the 17, 34 and 45, and the 17 is the sweet spot for me for USPSA.

breakingtime91
07-11-2020, 10:11 PM
I am similar.

G17 milled for RMR footprint
G48 milled for the new holosun
G43 for an underwear gun

Copies of the g17 and g48 for training. Done.

JSGlock34
07-11-2020, 10:21 PM
Sorry, I mix and match my 19/45/19X pieces depending upon which optic and lower I want. When I said 19 for EDC, I was referring to the 19 frame.

You’ll need a G47...

Navin Johnson
07-12-2020, 12:05 AM
What happened to the 4/3x. (43x in street slang) I thought you packed that?

GJM
07-12-2020, 06:42 AM
What happened to the 4/3x. (43x in street slang) I thought you packed that?

It is in my pants! :p

SteveB
07-12-2020, 07:03 AM
While I have more than three Glock pistols

Understatement of the century.

MGW
07-12-2020, 07:07 AM
I'm not a serious gamer and I don't even own a pistol mounted red dot. That being said, I think I could get by with a G45 for everything. Carry optics gun, carry gun, field gun, house gun, fun gun. The plan is to set one up with an RMR and keep a second one with iron sights. Once I vet myself on red dots I'll set up a third one with an RMR. If a more better ACRO hits the market I might go that way instead. As much as I don't like Glocks they're just working for me. I really like the 43x and have a pair of those setup. One for carry one for training. It has become my favorite carry gun. I reserve the right to change once I start working with a dot.

I've been really tempted by the M&P 2.0 but the Glock has really become the best plug and play option out there. If I hated the 43x I would probably change my mind.

Clay1
07-12-2020, 09:26 AM
It is in my pants! :p

I know you said that the 45 can act small or large, but I keep thinking that I would replace the 45 with a 43 because it can act even smaller.

While, I'm one of those guys who carries a 19.5 RMR with a comp and X300 appendix. Sometimes a smaller gun might be useful. I keep going back to "I've never heard of anyone in an actual fight that wished that they had a smaller gun with less ammo" therefore the Roland S type of carry, but there are times when an itty bitty is awfully attractive.

Nice list and it makes us all think about our own choices.

GJM
07-12-2020, 10:16 AM
The reason I didn’t mention the slimline Glocks is, unlike the 17/19 series, I think red dot options are still being worked out for the small Glocks. The RMSc strikes me as delicate, the initial Romeo Zero optics were iffy, and while I have high hopes for the 507K, they are still to be tested over months of use.

I really do like how you can mix and match the 19/19 MOS/19X/45/45 MOS. Here are some of the pieces I had from a picture back in 2018, that was pretty Acro and SRO.

GJM
07-12-2020, 10:21 AM
“Pre Acro and SRO”

JSGlock34
07-12-2020, 10:40 AM
My G45 MOS 'Roland Special' has become a favorite, though most of my Glocks are now sporting a MRDS. The G45 is very versatile - you can take it from G19 length all the way to G34 length...

EPF
07-12-2020, 01:03 PM

Done.

GJM- Every time I read a post title like this from you I click on it with a mix of excitement and trepidation. Excitement because there finally might be “the answer” to a pistol red dot solution and I can finally make the leap, and trepidation because when that day finally comes, it’s going to be expensive for me 😀

Either way, I appreciate the time, money, and effort you guys put into the research on this stuff and I look forward to the day I can upgrade the fleet to all RDS.

JSGlock34
07-12-2020, 02:58 PM
I dedicated my COVID19 quarantine dry-fire practice to my RDS transition. I've only recently been able to return to live fire practice. Scored a 5.5 FAST yesterday with the Roland. I can do better I'm sure.

karmapolice
07-12-2020, 03:46 PM
One more of this and maybe a third just to have. A 43X with a dueck and RMR would be cool for lazy days around the house.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/93790698_865399667299018_9135455396335452160_o.jpg ?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=4ygJsmikXBoAX_n1UAn&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=3a32f8e1686ff81ba145fbc4d930eae4&oe=5F30AC25

1Rangemaster
07-12-2020, 06:02 PM
Cool, “Karma”-what is that mag well?
To the OP:
I could, and can, get along with my Gen5G19MOS w/ACRO. That’s one.
Others? MAYBE a Gen534MOS for a little extra length, but if pressed, a G45MOS with a GLOCK threaded barrel and an SRO. Don’t have sight or suppressor, but I can dream...
Third? Already got it-a Gen5 G26 w/BOLD sights. Backup gun, sometime a primary; I’m big enough to pocket carry if I desire. And every double column GLOCK mag works-to include the 33 rounders-I’ve tried it!

karmapolice
07-12-2020, 07:34 PM
Cool, “Karma”-what is that mag well?
To the OP:
I could, and can, get along with my Gen5G19MOS w/ACRO. That’s one.
Others? MAYBE a Gen534MOS for a little extra length, but if pressed, a G45MOS with a GLOCK threaded barrel and an SRO. Don’t have sight or suppressor, but I can dream...
Third? Already got it-a Gen5 G26 w/BOLD sights. Backup gun, sometime a primary; I’m big enough to pocket carry if I desire. And every double column GLOCK mag works-to include the 33 rounders-I’ve tried it!

SLR G45 magwell

https://slrrifleworks.com/gen-5-g45-9mm-magwell-adapter/

GearFondler
07-13-2020, 03:39 AM
One more of this and maybe a third just to have. A 43X with a dueck and RMR would be cool for lazy days around the house.

Can you tell me a bit about the PMM Comp? Like has it stayed secure and does it do a good job of recoil mitigation? I don't ever see much feedback about PMM's comps and their shim retention method.
I'm wanting to Comp a Glock 19.5 and am deciding between the JTTC Ultra and the KMM Roland comp.

JHC
07-13-2020, 08:06 AM

That choice was a surprise to me. I figured go smaller to a G26 for when smaller is really necessary and use the field pistol for all the concealed carry that it works with.

The slimlines are not in the game for EDC? Is that because the optics choices for such a thin gun are also thin (in choices)?

GJM
07-13-2020, 08:09 AM
That choice was a surprise to me. I figured go smaller to a G26 for when smaller is really necessary and use the field pistol for all the concealed carry that it works with.

The slimlines are not in the game for EDC? Is that because the optics choices for such a thin gun are also thin (in choices)?

A 43X/48 is my EDC, but unlike with the larger Glock pistols, red dot solutions are still in flux for the slimline Glocks.

JHC
07-13-2020, 08:13 AM
The reason I didn’t mention the slimline Glocks is, unlike the 17/19 series, I think red dot options are still being worked out for the small Glocks. The RMSc strikes me as delicate, the initial Romeo Zero optics were iffy, and while I have high hopes for the 507K, they are still to be tested over months of use.

I really do like how you can mix and match the 19/19 MOS/19X/45/45 MOS. Here are some of the pieces I had from a picture back in 2018, that was pretty Acro and SRO.

My bad. I got all excited in the first page and missed this.

JHC
07-13-2020, 08:16 AM
A 43X/48 is my EDC, but unlike with the larger Glock pistols, red dot solutions are still in flux for the slimline Glocks.

I missed the prior explanation like a dope. I'm thinking of taking another look at the 48, more likely later if/when the railed model arrives. I'm just "getting by" with my 43X's this year. Took a break from them in the winter (cold hands effects) and haven't re-captured the magic from last year. Gets me thinking of the 48 again.

WobblyPossum
07-13-2020, 08:55 AM

Are you using the OEM 10 round magazines or the Shield Arms 15 round magazines? If the Shield ones, are you using a metal mag catch?

GJM
07-13-2020, 09:07 AM
Are you using the OEM 10 round magazines or the Shield Arms 15 round magazines? If the Shield ones, are you using a metal mag catch?

I am pretty conservative on non OEM Glock mags, so I am sticking with the factory ten rounders in my 43X/48 pistols. Anytime I had a 43, I felt like it was light on capacity, but with the 43X/48 at ten plus one, I value reliability over more capacity.

WobblyPossum
07-13-2020, 09:46 AM
I am pretty conservative on non OEM Glock mags, so I am sticking with the factory ten rounders in my 43X/48 pistols. Anytime I had a 43, I felt like it was light on capacity, but with the 43X/48 at ten plus one, I value reliability over more capacity.

That makes sense. My girlfriend has a G48 that we bought off a member here. I like it a lot but I’m holding out to see if Glock ever releases an MOS version to work with the new generation of thinner optics like the 507k.

karmapolice
07-13-2020, 11:02 AM
Can you tell me a bit about the PMM Comp? Like has it stayed secure and does it do a good job of recoil mitigation? I don't ever see much feedback about PMM's comps and their shim retention method.
I'm wanting to Comp a Glock 19.5 and am deciding between the JTTC Ultra and the KMM Roland comp.

So I had a Geb4 G19 with KKM BBL/COMP in 15-16 and it was nice but I like the way the PMM mounts and its low profile a lot better. I have 7k rounds through the gun and the comp hasn't loosened at all etc. The way it is designed if if it came loose it wont un-time it's self which is really well thought out. Recoil mitigation is good obviously more noticeable with +p stuff but it with regular stuff it feels like my 34 but I get better dot tracking with the 19 length slide. Mine is not the ultra, I just got their regular with the barrel combo and it's slightly shorter than 34 length and just slightly longer than a 17 (it fit in a tenicor 17 holster with the comp on it).

Bio
07-13-2020, 01:46 PM
I'm a long way away from a red dot, but what do you look for in a competition dot vs a home defense vs a carry dot?

Question intended for GJM , but I'm happy to hear anybody's opinions.

1Rangemaster
07-13-2020, 04:01 PM
I'm a long way away from a red dot, but what do you look for in a competition dot vs a home defense vs a carry dot?

Question intended for GJM , but I'm happy to hear anybody's opinions.

GJM is THE expert ‘round these parts, but I’ve been playing with a couple over the past two years, so I’ll chime in.
Competition? Trijicon SRO has a lot of followers. Holosun is seen on a number of competition guns, and I think GJM’s wife (dedicated competitor)runs some sort of Sig on a Sig. The Leupold Delta Point rounds out the “big screen” units from what I’ve studied.
Defense -home or carry- boils down to two, FOR me-YMMV and all that. Aimpoint ACRO and Trij RMR2. Have both, prefer the ACRO; working with the RMR to become proficient. The ACRO is a sealed unit, RMR2 a single lens. Both have pluses/minuses. RMR small screen I find difficult, ACRO needs a battery a month(99 cents).
In the defense mode I believe one MUST HAVE BACKUP IRONS.
After that, train and practice...

JSGlock34
07-13-2020, 05:29 PM
I prize reliability in any defensive firearm; that follows to the MRDS mounted on it. Right now I've given the nod to the RMR in the defensive role, given its durability and longer battery life (though I've broken a few). In a gamer gun I'm willing to accept some lesser durability (and shorter battery life) to gain a competitive advantage, so I've picked up a SRO for Carry Optics. I like the fact that both being Trijicon optics sharing the same footprint means I can move optics between hosts if something breaks and they'll (mostly) play nice with BUIS and the aftermarket plate. I haven't found a compelling requirement for a closed emitter for my usage as of yet so I haven't explored the ACRO.

Lon
07-13-2020, 05:45 PM
My “duty” grade optics are limited to the RMR and the Holosun 507/508. I also have an SRO that I am evaluating for off duty/CCW/Carry Optics. I’ve had several RMRs and had no issues. My 507 has been reliable as can be. Only have about 600 rounds down range w my SRO.

AsianJedi (Modern Samurai Project) talks about reliable optics in his classes. In the ones I’ve been two he says the RMR and the Holosun have been the most reliable. He also carried an SRO for a while and I don’t think he had any issues with it. Follow him on IG and FB and I’m sure you’ll see better info. I think his new Walther is rocking a v2 Holosun, but I won’t swear to that.

RAM Engineer
07-14-2020, 10:05 AM
One more reason why the commercial market needs a G47...

StraitR
07-26-2020, 08:36 AM
One more reason why the commercial market needs a G47...

I'm hoping and waiting on two guns, the above mentioned commercial release of a G47, and a 43x/48 MOS.

Getting back to the thread subject specifically...

I bought a 19.5 before the MOS was available, and a 45 MOS shortly after release. I mounted a type 2 RMR on the 45 MOS and sold the 19.5 slide to a PF'er. I swap the 45MOS slide with RMR back and forth between the 19 and 45 frames. I EDC the 19 configuration pretty much daily. Also have and carry a 43 when needed. I feel like all my bases are covered, but would ultimately like to have a MRDS on a slimline Glock when all the right stars align (factory MOS system and a dot option with successful track record).

DC_P
07-26-2020, 08:42 AM

I will be moving to all Glock around the end of the year. Is there a reason you chose the 17 over the 34 for competition use?