PDA

View Full Version : Model 66-2

stinx
07-09-2020, 03:51 PM
Many years ago I was issued a model 66. I loved that gun and always wanted to get one. This week my wife tells me her friend has some guns she wants to get rid of. My wife’s friend brings over a beater Charter Arm and a nice model 66-2. I gave her $500 for the 66 and full disclosure told her she could probably get more. She wa happy with the $500. Score one for the good guys!!!! Took the gun to the range and she shoots awesome. What would be the proper wood grips? Any help is appreciated.

SCCY Marshal
07-09-2020, 05:35 PM
Having and loving a set of those large Pachmayr grips on my 67, I vote leave 'em.

Wayne Dobbs
07-09-2020, 05:39 PM
You're going to start a fight on this! For regular shooting, I like the Hogue Monogrip quite a bit. For good looking, the sky's the limit. BluMagnum's always call to me. Let's get Dagga Boy to render an opinion.

rd62
07-09-2020, 08:20 PM
Nice score!

BillSWPA
07-09-2020, 10:05 PM
I also like the Pachmayr Presentation grips for shooting as well as for their appearance.

Willard
07-09-2020, 10:24 PM
Man is never satisfied. When these revolvers were in their heyday, rubber grips were state of the art and factory grips discarded. Now opposite. Pendulum never stops. I'd leave, but I'm function over form.

Bruce Cartwright
07-09-2020, 11:02 PM
Stinx:

For running magnum ammo, Pachmayrs are hard to beat. For pure esthetics, my vote goes to Craig Spegel. Unless you can find a set of original John Hurst stocks. John Hurst was a Los Angeles Police Officer who made custom stocks. I understand the Officer Hurst passed away some years ago. Hurst stocks are hard to find, but worth the search.

Nice Model 66 by the way. Good to see it a bit dirty. Those guns cry out to be shot.

Bruce

Salamander
07-09-2020, 11:49 PM
I keep a set of those same Pachmayrs on the Model 19 that I shoot most often. There are a number of good wood choices. Really it depends what works with your hands. Once you find the right ones, that ability to personalize is a plus of revolvers... the process of finding those right ones can occasionally be frustrating and expensive.

4given
07-10-2020, 07:52 AM
Here is a picture of my M66-2 with the factory grips. You might find a pair on Ebay as they come up now and then.

4given
07-10-2020, 07:54 AM
Here is mine with Hogue grips. They fit my small hands better.

deputyG23
07-10-2020, 08:38 AM
Grips/stocks are like underwear. A very personal item.
My preference for square butt K frames are PC Magnas with a grip adapter.57148
Round butts get either Magnas with adapter or Uncle Mike’s rubber RB grip.

Stephanie B
07-10-2020, 08:45 AM
Grips/stocks are like underwear. A very personal item.
My preference for square butt K frames are PC Magnas with a grip adapter.57148
Round butts get either Magnas with adapter or Uncle Mike’s rubber RB grip.

I can't like this ^^^^^ enough. PC Magnas with a grip adapter just look cool.

I usually buy BK Grips (http://bkgrips.com/) for guns, but for a 1920s M&P, I sucked it up and bought a Tyler T-grip. There are a lot of reports of long wait times and that Tyler MFG is unresponsive to follow-up contacts, but I must have hit a sweet spot, because I got one in three weeks.

deputyG23
07-10-2020, 10:18 AM
I can't like this ^^^^^ enough. PC Magnas with a grip adapter just look cool.

I usually buy BK Grips (http://bkgrips.com/) for guns, but for a 1920s M&P, I sucked it up and bought a Tyler T-grip. There are a lot of reports of long wait times and that Tyler MFG is unresponsive to follow-up contacts, but I must have hit a sweet spot, because I got one in three weeks.

The two silver Tylers on the stainless guns pictured took ten weeks in ‘18 from the time the check was cashed until I received them.
The black one on the blue M10-5 round butt was bought with the gun by me at a LGS in the mid ‘80s for about seven bucks..

rd62
07-10-2020, 12:02 PM
I'm just over 11 weeks waiting on my T-grip

BillSWPA
07-10-2020, 01:22 PM
The Uncle Mkie's rubber grips are among the best revolver grips I have ever come across.

I have a Tyler T grip on one gun for which I have few good options. The projection in the front of the grip that defines the "finger grooves" ends up right in the middle of my middle finger. I wear a men's medium size glove. They must be designed for someone with gorilla-sized hands.

Malamute
07-10-2020, 01:34 PM
I prefer the factory targets, but most examples need work to be comfortable, the later, the more work they seem to need. Smooth factory targets can be cut down some (actually the checkered ones can also) and rounding off of squarish edges where the hand wraps around it, the back and inner sides help tremendously.

Lost River has some custom grips on several of his N frames that are very similar to the old smooth factory targets.

deputyG23
07-10-2020, 02:20 PM
I prefer the factory targets, but most examples need work to be comfortable, the later, the more work they seem to need. Smooth factory targets can be cut down some (actually the checkered ones can also) and rounding off of squarish edges where the hand wraps around it, the back and inner sides help tremendously.

Lost River has some custom grips on several of his N frames that are very similar to the old smooth factory targets.
That would be the only way I could use the factory target stocks. My hand does not fit them.
In the mass of stuff I got in an estate sale last fall is a couple of boxes of random revolver stocks/grips and a set of "modified" Smith K targets are in there. Might have to pull them out and put them on one of my SB K Smiths just to see if they might work...

BruceinWV
07-11-2020, 07:55 AM
Big hands, and these Bill Davis grips fit me very nicely on this 66-2.

https://www.mcssl.com/store/billdavisenterprises

jtcarm
07-11-2020, 11:52 PM
The Uncle Mkie's rubber grips are among the best revolver grips I have ever come across.

I have a Tyler T grip on one gun for which I have few good options. The projection in the front of the grip that defines the "finger grooves" ends up right in the middle of my middle finger. I wear a men's medium size glove. They must be designed for someone with gorilla-sized hands.

Bingo!

Everyone else must be smokin crack🤨

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200712/668633fb63da2edd59056ea698371b28.jpg

19852+
07-12-2020, 05:04 PM
For looks the Smith Magna stocks are very nice. But for shootin' ? My choices are as follows:

The hard to find anymore Uncle Mikes. Number one by far.
Pachy's Presentation, good but Uncle Mike's is better for my hand.
Hogue [distant third IMO]