PDA

View Full Version : Midway off the radar

mc1911
07-08-2020, 05:27 PM
Anyone know anything about what's going on at Midwayusa? I've been ordering stuff from them for a long time but now customer service has gone completely down the tubes. You can't call or chat with anyone, and emails only receive form responses. Bogus tracking numbers, people not receiving products or any feedback.

I'm going through that right now. I've emailed multiple times about an order supposedly shipped 3 weeks ago with a bogus tracking number and I've yet to see it. I went on their facebook page and it is filled with people making the exact same complaint. It looks like Larry Potterfield turned things over to Matt Fleming and things have gone straight down the crapper.

Greg
07-08-2020, 05:41 PM
Maybe they outsourced CS to India.

LittleLebowski
07-08-2020, 05:45 PM
Banned for not shopping at the above Brownells link :D

TheRoland
07-08-2020, 05:46 PM
Withdrawn.

Casual Friday
07-08-2020, 05:52 PM
I don't order much from MidwayUSA, I usually only order from them when Brownells or Primary Arms doesn't have what I need. I ordered a VLTOR A5 kit a week or two ago and had it in like 5 days.

mc1911
07-08-2020, 06:00 PM

After this, that problem will be permanently solved

SecondsCount
07-08-2020, 06:01 PM
I've been a customer of Midway's for almost 30 years. Over the years their prices have gone sky high, they keep changing their policy on free shipping, and customer service keeps getting worse.

Palmetto started the trend with less customer service but at least their prices are fair. Midway and Brownells still have higher prices and now poor customer service.

blues
07-08-2020, 06:02 PM
That's progress for ya.

Leroy Suggs
07-08-2020, 06:02 PM
Same thing here. Bogus tracking. No product.

Fuck Potterfield

blues
07-08-2020, 06:03 PM

Fuck Potterfield

As I recall, it's been a while, they would send out tracking a few days ahead of actually getting it to the shipper.

Casual Friday
07-08-2020, 06:09 PM
*Larry Potterfield voice* "In 1957, Townsend Whelen said that only accurate shipping notifications and tracking numbers are interesting. Is your tracking number interesting?

blues
07-08-2020, 06:13 PM
*Larry Potterfield voice* "In 1957, Townsend Whelen said that only accurate shipping notifications and tracking numbers are interesting. Is your tracking number interesting?

Speaking of Townsend Whelen...from "On Your Own In The Wilderness" by Bradford Angier and COL Townsend Whelen:

The most indispensable tool for a hunter or fisherman or camper, and in fact for any outdoor man and boy anywhere, is the knife-a businesslike knife, sharp and keen. Mrs. Whelen's aunt, who taught high school Latin for thirty years in Nebraska, had the right idea. She asked every class, "Which boys have a jackknife in their pocket?" The ones who had none did not rate very high with her.

Her philosophy was that if a boy did not have a knife and know how to use it, he was not likely to grow up able to do many things for himself...I have had a knife like this in my back pants pocket ever since I was knee-high to a chopping block.

Common sense...when it was still common.

Caballoflaco
07-08-2020, 06:18 PM
Speaking of Townsend Whelen...from "On Your Own In The Wilderness" by Bradford Angier and COL Townsend Whelen:

Common sense...when it was still common.

I always liked that quote and have tried to live up to the idea since I got my first sak at age 10 or 11.

blues
07-08-2020, 06:19 PM
I always liked that quote and have tried to live up to the idea since I got my first sak at age 10 or 11.

I've been posting it on bladeforums (and here) for years. It's the way things are meant to be.

Ivantheterrible
07-08-2020, 06:33 PM
I have learned to NOT use their UPS Smartpost shipping option. That is a horrendous way to ship a package. For me, normal UPS ground delivery is 1 day, USPS Priority is 2 days. The "Smartpost" option is 5-7 business days and really doesn't save me any real money.

TGS
07-08-2020, 06:36 PM

To be fair, I had a problem with a Brownell's product recently and it took them 7 weeks to respond to my 3 emails.

Wise_A
07-08-2020, 06:41 PM
Many companies are shipping like shit. They're using the coronavirus excuse.

I couldn't give less of a fuck, Amazon. Get me my shit here in two days. I don't care how many boxers you need to kill to do it.

On a serious note, it's not just workplace restrictions. With there being so little air travel, that's suffering as well.

littlejerry
07-08-2020, 06:49 PM
I don't order much from MidwayUSA, I usually only order from them when Brownells or Primary Arms doesn't have what I need. I ordered a VLTOR A5 kit a week or two ago and had it in like 5 days.

Wait, what? A5 kits are unobtainium. Midway had some?

Casual Friday
07-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Wait, what? A5 kits are unobtainium. Midway had some?

Yes they did, I just checked my MidwayUSA account and I ordered it on June 28th.

Nephrology
07-08-2020, 07:06 PM
I got 3 Glock 19 Gen 4 RSAs from them, order to delivery was <1 week.

I don't often shop with them these days though.

willie
07-08-2020, 07:10 PM
My guess is that their system is not handling the big rush since early March. I have spent tons of money there over the years and have no complaints. I shop their clearances, especially knives. Unlike some places, you can send items back on their dime. Brownell's will sell at dealer price to those with a Curio and Relic license, a fact that justifies having one. I don't but should. In my old age, I consider service to be paramount, and if Midway shoves a green weenie up my skirt, I'll cease going there.

SecondsCount
07-08-2020, 07:41 PM

Fuck Potterfield
Matt Fleming is running the show and Larry is out spending his $200M.

Willard
07-08-2020, 07:51 PM
This month, I ordered a Gear Head Works Tailhook Mod 1C Brace (https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-hardware/tailhook-mod-2-prod127029.aspx) that wasn't in stock anywhere else at a reasonable price. It shipped in under 48 hours with their standard USPS and should arrive within 7 days. I'm ok with that, though I don't order with them much unless I cannot get somewhere else or it is a really good price (they had some good deals on Crimson Trace recently and blem Aimpoints several months back).

Borderland
07-08-2020, 07:54 PM
I discovered a long time ago that Midway had higher prices than just about everyone online. To add to that their shipping charges were more than everyone else also.

Larry is a likable cuss but you're paying for all of that down home biscuits and gravy good ol boy feeling.

Somebody needs to get a clue.

Willard
07-08-2020, 07:58 PM
I discovered a long time ago that Midway had higher prices than just about everyone online. To add to that their shipping charges were more than everyone else also.

Generally agree. There, are occasional exceptions that make them worth checking from time to time.

hufnagel
07-08-2020, 08:12 PM
Been over a year since I ordered from them. Usually raid the clearance section for bits and bobbles, targets and ear plugs.

rayrevolver
07-08-2020, 08:24 PM
I've ordered 3 or 4 times since covid and shipping was quick.

Last one:
30 Jun Ordered
1 Jul Shipped
6 Jul Delivered

mmc45414
07-08-2020, 09:11 PM
The only problem I ever really had with them was a few (many) years ago when I had some powder in the shopping cart and they added some weird "drop shipping" charge in addition to the hazmat charge that made it cheaper to order from (probably) Powder Valley. They proactively emailed me asking why I bailed and I explained. I admit it tweaked me that if they are not inventorying inventory I am not all that sure what they are doing to earn their piece of the pie, but they wrote back some bravo sierra about being next to I-70 and not being permitted to warehouse powder. I wrote back to the effect of "Let me rephrase, your price was too high."

Robinson
07-08-2020, 11:29 PM
What Tom_Jones posted is exactly what I found to be true with my most recent purchase from Midwayusa.com. I typically buy from Brownells, but there were a couple of Colt OEM parts I needed and Midway was the only way to get them. I received my order in a couple of weeks. At first I was irked that I couldn't bring up the tracking info based on the number they sent me, then I finally figured out how they ship some items.

LittleLebowski
07-09-2020, 09:01 AM
To be fair, I had a problem with a Brownell's product recently and it took them 7 weeks to respond to my 3 emails.

I called about the last issue I had, I ended up getting free product and quick shipping on what I had actually ordered.

rkittine
07-09-2020, 09:13 AM
I have received a few orders from MidwayUSA lately. I think they have less inventory then normal, maybe because as well as them, other manufacturers may have reduced work forces. Fortunately the things I really need I always keep on hand.

Bob

mtnbkr
07-09-2020, 09:45 AM
I used to order a lot from Midway, but have been shopping more at Brownells lately (mainly last year when they were tossing around discounts willy nilly). I've gotten good and accurate CS from both, but in my experience Midway was the quicker one to ship. I could order something mid-week and have it in my hands by Saturday most of the time. Brownells would routinely be over a week. I tend to use Midway more for reloading stuff and Brownells more for gun parts.

Chris

deputyG23
07-09-2020, 11:47 AM
My last order from Midway was received in a timely manner, but the timer I ordered did not work for dry fire as advertised. Sent it back on their dime and was refunded in a reasonable time.
Still haven't bought a timer yet....

TGS
07-09-2020, 12:13 PM
Still haven't bought a timer yet....

There's free apps you can download to a smart phone that work really well. Give them a try if you haven't.

deputyG23
07-09-2020, 12:18 PM
There's free apps you can download to a smart phone that work really well. Give them a try if you haven't.

I have tried the Innovative Applications one on the Iphone and it doesn't pick up live fire, much less dry.
Alternative suggestions are welcome....

TGS
07-09-2020, 12:28 PM
deputyG23 I use "IPSC Shot Timer", it's adjustable to pick up dry-fire. I have an Android, so I'm unaware if it's available on iPhone or not.

Casual Friday
07-09-2020, 12:48 PM
deputyG23 I use "IPSC Shot Timer", it's adjustable to pick up dry-fire. I have an Android, so I'm unaware if it's available on iPhone or not.

I've been using this one during quarantine at home and so far I like it the most of the shot timer apps I've tried. For dryfire, I was able to adjust it to where it doesn't pick up the zipper on my Vertx bag being opened but there's nothing you can do about the Law folder slamming shut being recorded as the first shot, but that's not that big of a deal.

mc1911
07-09-2020, 03:10 PM
I suspect (but maybe I'm completely wrong and with this being the internet and all it's probably best to assume I am) that all the people bitching about "bogus" tracking numbers simply don't understand the delivery service they selected or that's being used to ship their order to them.

Midway uses UPS Mail Innovations for their cheapest delivery option. This is where the package is shipped via UPS Ground (or whatever UPS's lowest cost, lowest priority, delivery service is) from the point of origin to your local/regional USPS package sorting facility where it is then processed and ultimately makes its way to your local post office to be delivered by your mail carrier.

The problem is that the tracking number is and looks like a regular USPS tracking number, but the post office doesn't know anything about it until they receive it. Which, of course, is after UPS takes its time routing the package across the country using their lowest cost, lowest priority, service. To get tracking updates while the package is still in possession of UPS, you need to track it via the Mail Innovations website: https://www.ups-mi.net/packageID/

After the package is accepted by USPS you can track it via the usual USPS tracking website. If you just try to track it via USPS when you first get the tracking number, it's going to appear bogus, but it's not. But don't let me get in the way of a good old fashioned Facebook mob doing whatever it is they do. But, like I said, it's probably best to assume I'm completely wrong.

I can live with that if my package ever shows up. It's been three weeks since the email saying the order shipped; a primer pocket tool and some Glock mags, nothing heavy or hazardous. The problem is the complete lack of response. Can't call, can't chat, and emails only get automated responses. When you have people's money and they don't have their product or any explanation, it can tend to rub the wrong way. This is my first negative experience with them and I'm totally cool with a snafu that a company works to fix. But this isn't that, at least not yet.

mc1911
07-10-2020, 04:24 PM
Not that anyone needs this update, but in the interest of being fair to Midway, they finally replied via Facebook and said there has been some sort of issue with Mail Innovations that has inconvenienced many customers. They are re-shipping via UPS ground and I should have my stuff in about 10 days.

JodyH
07-10-2020, 05:06 PM
Not that anyone needs this update, but in the interest of being fair to Midway, they finally replied via Facebook and said there has been some sort of issue with Mail Innovations that has inconvenienced many customers. They are re-shipping via UPS ground and I should have my stuff in about 10 days.

A backordered item from Midway shipped via the UPS/USPS bastard child donkey show they call Mail Innovations about two weeks ago.
It finally showed up on tracking yesterday and is already at the last hop before it arrives in my city (a week past the anticipated delivery date).
I don't think the horrible shipping is Midways fault right now.
But I despise Mail Innovations and will almost always throw a box of carry ammo into any Midway order so it automatically has to go UPS ground.

fatdog
07-14-2020, 08:10 PM
Interesting email in my inbox when I got home:

Dear Customer,
The MidwayUSA Customer experience has not been what we want or you deserve over the past few months. For this, we’re truly sorry.

Because of the COVID-19 Pandemic, internet commerce has been and continues to be at an all-time high, creating unprecedented levels of MidwayUSA orders and residential deliveries for our package delivery partners. This has created some challenges:
1. While we’ve projected estimated delivery dates as accurately as possible, there have been delays from our package delivery partners as they’ve experienced large volumes and Employee shortages. If your order didn’t arrive on time, or you received inaccurate tracking information, or both, we’re very sorry. If your order hasn’t arrived yet, rest assured it’s on the way. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience in allowing a few extra days before contacting us.
2. We're hiring as fast as we can and continue to do our best to respond to Customers as quickly as possible, but our incoming communications exceed our capacity. Regrettably, we’ve had to temporarily stop taking phone calls, and even web chats at times, and still can’t process all your communications fast enough. We’ve remained several days behind in answering emails, and have long wait times when web chat is enabled. All available Employees, regardless of their position in the company, continue to help ship packages and respond to Customers. We’ll resume phone calls and web chats as soon as possible.

We’re very sorry for the package delays and communication issues.
Thanks so much for your patience, understanding, and loyalty.
Matt Fleming
President | NRA Benefactor

Willard
07-14-2020, 08:19 PM
But I despise Mail Innovations and will almost always throw a box of carry ammo into any Midway order so it automatically has to go UPS ground.

Not complaining, just find it comical. My UPS tracking shows it is still pending delivery for last night at 2100. Not sure how that works.

Tensaw
07-15-2020, 05:32 AM
The four Fat .50 ammo cans I order from Midway last week arrived Monday via UPS. Free shipping and no drama.

Joe45
07-15-2020, 05:39 AM
Interesting email in my inbox when I got home:

Dear Customer,
The MidwayUSA Customer experience has not been what we want or you deserve over the past few months. For this, we’re truly sorry.

Because of the COVID-19 Pandemic, internet commerce has been and continues to be at an all-time high, creating unprecedented levels of MidwayUSA orders and residential deliveries for our package delivery partners. This has created some challenges:
1.While we’ve projected estimated delivery dates as accurately as possible, there have been delays from our package delivery partners as they’ve experienced large volumes and Employee shortages. If your order didn’t arrive on time, or you received inaccurate tracking information, or both, we’re very sorry. If your order hasn’t arrived yet, rest assured it’s on the way. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience in allowing a few extra days before contacting us.
2.We're hiring as fast as we can and continue to do our best to respond to Customers as quickly as possible, but our incoming communications exceed our capacity. Regrettably, we’ve had to temporarily stop taking phone calls, and even web chats at times, and still can’t process all your communications fast enough. We’ve remained several days behind in answering emails, and have long wait times when web chat is enabled. All available Employees, regardless of their position in the company, continue to help ship packages and respond to Customers. We’ll resume phone calls and web chats as soon as possible.

We’re very sorry for the package delays and communication issues.
Thanks so much for your patience, understanding, and loyalty.
Matt Fleming
President | NRA BenefactorI got the same email. I found it interesting since I haven't had any issues. I ordered some 9mm that was in stock briefly, and received it very quickly. Other than that I haven't ordered from them in quite a while.

Joe in PNG
07-15-2020, 05:42 AM
Ordered a couple of NOS Inglis Highpower mags, and two boxes of .223 77 grn.
We'll see how it works out.

Trukinjp13
07-16-2020, 08:41 AM
Ordered parts for my 300 setup. They came within a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cornstalker
07-16-2020, 08:50 AM
**Deleted**

Joe in PNG
07-20-2020, 06:28 PM
Ordered a couple of NOS Inglis Highpower mags, and two boxes of .223 77 grn.
We'll see how it works out.

And here, 5 days later.

No worries.

JPC
07-20-2020, 07:31 PM
I ordered 4 boxes of Barnes .300BLK Tac-tx bullets from Midway on Wednesday the 16th. They shipped on Thursday the 17th and arrived today (Monday the 20th).

Seems like they are making the effort.

lwt16
07-20-2020, 07:52 PM
Ordered from them recently. I had a pleasant experience.

KellyinAvon
07-20-2020, 08:05 PM
The Hogue grips I ordered on the 16th are on the way.

fatdog
07-20-2020, 08:29 PM
I had two orders, you guessed it "mail innovations" delivered today. Both were for items in stock when I placed the order, the shipments have been invisible. First order was placed on 7/7, second on 7/9. Mail Innovations blows.

ranger
07-21-2020, 08:43 AM
I ordered from Midway yesterday - price was right and free shipping. Got immediate we are preparing your order notice. This morning got order shipped email with tracking number.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
07-21-2020, 09:47 AM
I ordered from Midway yesterday - price was right and free shipping. Got immediate we are preparing your order notice. This morning got order shipped email with tracking number.

Sim. to R above I ordered an item on closeout from Midway Fri AM, it shipped that day & out for delivery today w/ UPS.

Rex G
07-21-2020, 11:52 AM
Midway USA shipped within one day, last week, when I ordered two magazines. The shipping tracking confirmed that part. Now, however, the Tortoise Express, a.k.a. UPS Mail Innovations, is moving like molasses in winter. The USPS is still awaiting the package, in order to be able to do their part.

I absolutely LOATHE UPS Mail Innovations. Sadly, my last Brownells package was sent this way, too.

I am running out of places from whom I am willing to place on-line orders.

Meanwhile, Arc’Teryx’ USA site just shipped with two days, by UPS Second-Day. I like that!

(I have come to expect Amazon to do such things as send me someone else’s return, which may, of course, be return fraud, or ship a prior-generation than the one specified in the ad.)

Rex G
07-22-2020, 11:40 AM
Hey Midway, if your are paying attention, please give us the option to pay for expedited shipping!

flyrodr
07-22-2020, 06:59 PM
I'd really like to have a better understanding of the "Innovation" deal between UPS and USPS. I placed an order with Midway on 7/6, and the confirmation initially said delivery would be 7/10. That changed to 7/13. I eventually got the order on 7/18. The UPS site continued to say delivery would be on 7/13, and showed the package arriving in my town on that date. However, the USPS site (using the same tracking number) showed the package arriving in town on 7/13, but said "Shipment received, package acceptance pending." The status on USPS stayed that way until 7/18, when it said "Shipment arrived at USPS Destination Facility", and then in a couple of hours "Arrived at Post Office". Subsequently "Out for Delivery", and then "Delivered", all on the 18th.

I was outside when my mail carrier went by a few days before the 18th, and she said the problem was that UPS delivered a bunch of packages to USPS in a container, and the container had to be unloaded, the parcels sorted, and then loaded for delivery. Seemed to clearly suggest problem was on the UPS end.

So, the joint process doesn't work very well, but I'm not sure whether the responsibility rests with UPS or with USPS, particularly since neither appears to stand up and accept responsibility (again, an n=1 sample). The conflicting status reports appeared to suggest a handoff to the USPS locally on the 13th. The USPS site has the nebulous "acceptance pending" for five days. My leaning is toward the slowness being on the USPS side, as my experience with its on-line tracking system is that it is basically abysmal.

In contrast, I ordered another item from Brownells on 7/20, and got an immediate verification, with a "Generic - 3-5 Ground" shipping method (I chose default cheap). Got another email the next day, saying item was shipped, and then another saying it would arrive tomorrow (7/23), with a FedEx tracking number. Hopeful, but not yet holding my breath.

Rex G
07-22-2020, 07:08 PM
The USPS can certainly mess-up, on its own. In the recent past, I had two packages arrive at the North Houston Distribution Center, only to RETURN to the distribution center nearest the sender, then get sent, again, to North Houston. One of these was First Class, from relatively nearby Auston, Texas, but another, a Priority, got onto a plane and went all the way back to Louisville, KY, before returning to North Houston.

Sigh.

Sometimes, North Houston will sit on a package, for several days.

Fortunately, I am mostly finished with my parts and accessories ordering, for a while. Most future orders will be ammo.

MGW
07-22-2020, 07:21 PM
Placed an order for primers today. Received a shipping notice with a UPS tracking number in a few hours.

camsdaddy
07-22-2020, 07:50 PM
Placed an order for primers today. Received a shipping notice with a UPS tracking number in a few hours.

I got a notification they had pistol primers on Sunday. I found I could only buy 1000. That doesn't justify the freight and hazmat. It was going to be almost $50.

MGW
07-22-2020, 08:18 PM
I got a notification they had pistol primers on Sunday. I found I could only buy 1000. That doesn't justify the freight and hazmat. It was going to be almost $50.

The had a 5,000 limit today.

donlapalma
07-22-2020, 11:13 PM
Placed an order today and got my shipping notice in just over two hours.

Rex G
07-28-2020, 01:15 PM
I'd really like to have a better understanding of the "Innovation" deal between UPS and USPS. I placed an order with Midway on 7/6, and the confirmation initially said delivery would be 7/10. That changed to 7/13. I eventually got the order on 7/18. The UPS site continued to say delivery would be on 7/13, and showed the package arriving in my town on that date. However, the USPS site (using the same tracking number) showed the package arriving in town on 7/13, but said "Shipment received, package acceptance pending." The status on USPS stayed that way until 7/18, when it said "Shipment arrived at USPS Destination Facility", and then in a couple of hours "Arrived at Post Office". Subsequently "Out for Delivery", and then "Delivered", all on the 18th.

I was outside when my mail carrier went by a few days before the 18th, and she said the problem was that UPS delivered a bunch of packages to USPS in a container, and the container had to be unloaded, the parcels sorted, and then loaded for delivery. Seemed to clearly suggest problem was on the UPS end.

So, the joint process doesn't work very well, but I'm not sure whether the responsibility rests with UPS or with USPS, particularly since neither appears to stand up and accept responsibility (again, an n=1 sample). The conflicting status reports appeared to suggest a handoff to the USPS locally on the 13th. The USPS site has the nebulous "acceptance pending" for five days. My leaning is toward the slowness being on the USPS side, as my experience with its on-line tracking system is that it is basically abysmal.

The slowness is both with UPSMI and USPS. “Shared” responsibility means that neither feels responsible, apparently. My BLR magazines finally arrived at USPS North Houston Distribution Center, via the UPSMI tortoise, and it is now Day 4 of the package sitting, unmoved, at the USPS Distribution Center. Ten days, thus far, since that tortoise started walking from Missouri.

Meanwhile, Midway USA keeps spamming my e-mail box with “free shipping” announcements.

TicTacticalTimmy
07-28-2020, 01:32 PM
Pretty much every order I have placed at Midway has shipped super fast, and their shippng rates are very reasonable.

Every CS interaction/issue I have had has been handled with superb professionalism.

I placed an order at Primary Arms over the weekend, and had an issue. I have sent 3 emails so far without any response. However, I am not going to hold it against them because, like Midway, they have banked up a big reserve of great CS with me.

These are strange times and you just have to be a little more patiend and forgiving.

Rex G
07-30-2020, 09:16 AM
Finally, on the fifth day of, uh, storage, the USPS North Houston Distribution Center moved my BLR mags to my local PO.

To be clear, Midway shipped the next business day. It was UPSMI, and then the USPS, that have made this delivery slow.

mmc45414
07-30-2020, 09:38 AM
I wonder if some of the push for free shipping has ended up with USPS offering services that are not guaranteed, so maybe Mail Innovations goes on a space available basis, sorta like flying standby. If the truck is full the priority packages go first, and if the truck is full for a number of days it doesn't matter. We end users don't like it, but we are willing do go for something free, that is actually not free. This is also coupled with USPS lowering the number of sorting facilities, it used to be that if I went downtown in Dayton, OH and mailed my last minute batch of Christmas cards or invoices, if got them there by like 21:00 or so the local people would start getting them the next day, now I think that stuff heads to Columbus around 17:00 and may or may not make it back by morning for delivery.

I dunno, this is just some schumk speculating.

all42a
08-05-2020, 12:33 PM
Many companies are shipping like shit. They're using the coronavirus excuse.

I couldn't give less of a fuck, Amazon. Get me my shit here in two days. I don't care how many boxers you need to kill to do it.

On a serious note, it's not just workplace restrictions. With there being so little air travel, that's suffering as well.

I suspect (but maybe I'm completely wrong and with this being the internet and all it's probably best to assume I am) that all the people bitching about "bogus" tracking numbers simply don't understand the delivery service they selected or that's being used to ship their order to them.

Midway uses UPS Mail Innovations for their cheapest delivery option. This is where the package is shipped via UPS Ground (or whatever UPS's lowest cost, lowest priority, delivery service is) from the point of origin to your local/regional USPS package sorting facility where it is then processed and ultimately makes its way to your local post office to be delivered by your mail carrier.

The problem is that the tracking number is and looks like a regular USPS tracking number, but the post office doesn't know anything about it until they receive it. Which, of course, is after UPS takes its time routing the package across the country using their lowest cost, lowest priority, service. To get tracking updates while the package is still in possession of UPS, you need to track it via the Mail Innovations website: https://www.ups-mi.net/packageID/

After the package is accepted by USPS you can track it via the usual USPS tracking website. If you just try to track it via USPS when you first get the tracking number, it's going to appear bogus, but it's not. But don't let me get in the way of a good old fashioned Facebook mob doing whatever it is they do. But, like I said, it's probably best to assume I'm completely wrong.

I wonder if some of the push for free shipping has ended up with USPS offering services that are not guaranteed, so maybe Mail Innovations goes on a space available basis, sorta like flying standby. If the truck is full the priority packages go first, and if the truck is full for a number of days it doesn't matter. We end users don't like it, but we are willing do go for something free, that is actually not free. This is also coupled with USPS lowering the number of sorting facilities, it used to be that if I went downtown in Dayton, OH and mailed my last minute batch of Christmas cards or invoices, if got them there by like 21:00 or so the local people would start getting them the next day, now I think that stuff heads to Columbus around 17:00 and may or may not make it back by morning for delivery.

I dunno, this is just some schumk speculating.

My son worked for UPS the last two Christmas seasons, as a ride-along driver's helper. After this year's stint they hired him on as their regular dispatcher at the Center in our County. A dispatcher is used by UPS to daily create routes among that center's available trucks in order to ensure that the union drivers are not worked beyond 8.5 hours each day, and so while driver's routes are mostly the same day over day, the load has to be spread out amongst the trucks by the dispatcher to keep the Teamster's Union drivers happy. If drivers work more than 8.5 hours they have the right to file a union grievance after two such days in a row. And they do file them, regularly. My son has said that since March 1st of this year, because of covid, their daily package count has exceeded the counts of the last two holiday seasons, and drivers have been worked on average 10-11 hours per day on most days. UPS is still adhering to and meeting their guaranteed delivery times as much as they can, though it's killing their staff and drivers. Another wrinkle, in addition to the Covid-caused increase in online ordering is that Amazon has broken its relationship with FedEx and is using UPS to deliver all packages except for those for which they are hiring private delivery. I don't believe the USPS has the same refund policy for packages not delivered on time and so the mail innovations system is likely the weak point in that partnership between UPS and USPS and/or FedEx and USPS.
So, MidwayUSA, who I've always had good experiences with, in addition to having troubles keeping their own staff at work, healthy, and happy, is also challenged with keeping customers happy in spite of their delivery partners' own shortfalls related to tremedously increased workloads of their own.

fatdog
11-23-2020, 07:10 PM
I remembered this thread about the UPS "smartpost" debacle Midway foisted on many of us.

I am here to report that Brownells is now using "Fedex Smartpost" with equally disasterous results.

I placed an order on Brownells site on 11/3, it shipped on 11/5 via Fedex Smartpost and it is no place to to be found. 22 days after it shipped...hopelessly lost who knows where....

Beware, especially if you are a Brownells Edge customer. This was an Edge order but they have dinked the menu around in the order process so it defaults to "standard 5-7 day" unless you purposefully select "Edge 2 day" now.

Standard 5-7 is this abomination that is Fedex mingling with the hopeless and happless USPS....3 to 4 times the expected transit if you get it at all....

mmc45414
11-23-2020, 07:39 PM
Beware, especially if you are a Brownells Edge customer. This was an Edge order but they have dinked the menu around in the order process so it defaults to "standard 5-7 day" unless you purposefully select "Edge 2 day" now.
I noticed that was the case when I signed up for Edge, and as much as I like Brownells, that is kinda beneath them, IMO.

Bratch
11-23-2020, 10:01 PM
I have had multiple orders from Brownells missing small parts this year. They’ve always came through and shipped replacements when I call but it’s a hassle to deal with.

jtcarm
11-25-2020, 05:41 PM
I haven’t had a bit of trouble with Midway. Delivery is a little slow lately, but that’s not their fault.

littlejerry
11-25-2020, 07:09 PM
I ordered some ammo recently from Midway. They shipped in 24 hours and UPS delivered in 2 days.

It was also 5.56 Barnes 70gr VOR-TX at pretty normal pricing.

msstate56
11-25-2020, 08:18 PM
I had so many issues with that “Surepost” crap that I called and complained direct to Brownells CS. I had them put my account on “UPS only.”

DDTSGM
11-25-2020, 08:36 PM
Every time I see this thread title my first thought is the convo will be about Midway, as in WWII.

SecondsCount
12-17-2020, 08:27 AM
I placed an order with Midway on Tuesday as they are having a fantastic sale on Bushnell XRS II scopes. As of this morning I have not received a shipping notification so we'll see I guess.

4given
12-17-2020, 09:57 AM
I have been getting pretty good deals from MidwayUSA and they have been very good about returns. The UPS Mail Innovations shipping seems pretty slow especially since I am used to Amazon. However, I ordered a new belt from MidwayUSA on 12/11/2020 and it is supposed to be delivered today. That's really not bad at all.

maximus83
12-17-2020, 10:11 AM
No troubles with Midway or Brownells. Ordered from both, multiple times over the last year. Both have been excellent about shipping, excellent about returns. They are all slammed due to excess business in the firearm industry because, reasons, and Covid disruptions.

fatdog
12-17-2020, 02:04 PM
Well my original Brownells Fedex Surepost order arrived 38 calendar days after it shipped. Beat to hell with the scope rings I ordered completely out of their packaging and loose in the package. All of my communications with Brownells CS were "we are confident it will be delivered".

I will not fall for their trick of defaulting an Edge customer to "standard shipping" ever again.

SecondsCount
12-17-2020, 02:13 PM
I placed an order with Midway on Tuesday as they are having a fantastic sale on Bushnell XRS II scopes. As of this morning I have not received a shipping notification so we'll see I guess.

I got a call this morning that they wanted to make sure it was me who placed the order. After that was confirmed, I asked if they could ship it today. She said they would try. I was hoping to get it by Christmas so I could play with it. We'll see...

SecondsCount
12-24-2020, 02:54 PM
Order shipped Monday and arrived yesterday. It took twice as long for Midway to process the order as it did for UPS to get the items to me.

willie
12-24-2020, 03:03 PM
The phone inquiry on the Bushnell scope may be related to a high incidence of credit card fraud associated with high dollar scopes. Some buy these for the sole purpose of shipping them out of the country. My information comes from my lgs who has lost about $3500 from these scams until he wised up.

One way to make certain that your order does not get shipped through the U.S. mail is to order a box of 22 ammo, but this trick is no longer easy to pull.