PDA

View Full Version : IDPA & Ported Barrels

swtarmac
06-30-2020, 01:44 PM
Are ported barrels allowed in any of the classes for IDPA? Thanks

Artemas2
06-30-2020, 02:01 PM
No, you would need to replace the barrel with an non ported one if such a change is allowed in your division.

might want to add this to your library...
https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/IDPA-Rulebook-2017.pdf

https://www.idpa.com/idpa-matches/idpa-match-rules/

Amp
06-30-2020, 03:38 PM
You can shoot them in a local match in NFC (not for competition) Division.

MDFA
11-12-2021, 06:15 AM
Seems kind of short sighted to not allow them, given the number of factory ported/comped revolvers and pistols that S&W and others offer as carry guns. Not to mention Magna Port etc. that people do actually carry as defensive handguns.

Wheeler
11-12-2021, 06:36 AM
Seems kind of short sighted to not allow them, given the number of factory ported/comped revolvers and pistols that S&W and others offer as carry guns. Not to mention Magna Port etc. that people do actually carry as defensive handguns.

IDPA actually took the long view on this when the original rules were written. The goal was to prevent equipment races such as those that had developed in IPSC. While there are certain divisions that tend to dominate matches now, the decision to not allow ported or compensated barrels still holds true to that initial ruling. It would require an entire revamping of the rules to include them in all divisions and a complete waste of time to set up a separate division for what should be fairly obvious reasons.

The amount of people that actually carry a ported or compensated pistol isn’t really that great. Don’t be misled by the vocal minority talking about the Roland-esque gats. Most serious defensive instructors recommend against ported guns, especially if they teach any sort of entangled fighting.

MDFA
11-12-2021, 06:58 AM
IDPA actually took the long view on this when the original rules were written. The goal was to prevent equipment races such as those that had developed in IPSC. While there are certain divisions that tend to dominate matches now, the decision to not allow ported or compensated barrels still holds true to that initial ruling. It would require an entire revamping of the rules to include them in all divisions and a complete waste of time to set up a separate division for what should be fairly obvious reasons.

The amount of people that actually carry a ported or compensated pistol isn’t really that great. Don’t be misled by the vocal minority talking about the Roland-esque gats. Most serious defensive instructors recommend against ported guns, especially if they teach any sort of entangled fighting.

I'm well aware of the original intent. I've been a member since 2003 and a SO since 2004 and have run several state championships. I'm also a serious defensive instructor for over 30 years. Just saying it might be time for the board to take another look at it.

Wheeler
11-12-2021, 07:32 AM
I'm well aware of the original intent. I've been a member since 2003 and a SO since 2004 and have run several state championships. I'm also a serious defensive instructor for over 30 years. Just saying it might be time for the board to take another look at it.

If you’ve been around that long and are that involved you’re probably aware that your best bet is to talk to IDPA HQ directly. It would help to have a plan to address the issues I pointed out above if you want your suggestion to gain any traction. Cheers

Jim Watson
11-12-2021, 12:42 PM
I shot IPSC for several seasons, become a convert to IDPA in 1997 and took off ALL compensators.
I have been swinging both ways for a while now and have no inclination to buy an Open gun, Limited is fine, no difference from ESP but magazine capacity.

But I see the carry comp type guns with a following here and they have joined the constant plaint of "why can't I compete with my carry gun?"

To the advocates, OK, where will you put them? A new Division of their own? There are already more Divisions than will be well represented at any but the biggest matches. Let them into ESP under the Gentlemen's Agreement and start an "arms race" that will make me need to recreate my old IPSC Modified gun?

Same thing in USPSA. Such guns would now be placed in Open vs 30 shot scope sighted match machinery, so how would you make them welcome?

1911Nut
11-12-2021, 06:07 PM
After much competition and participation in IDPA and some in USPSA, I am firmly convinced that all the division and equipment rules could have been much, much simpler and saved countless thousands of hours discussing and cussing if something like the following had been done:

Division 1 - Really Little
Fits in a really little box with the lid closed and with empty magazine installed, weighs a maximum of _.__ ounces

Division 2 - Little
Fits in a little box and - - - - - - - - - -

Division 3 - Medium
Fits in a medium box and - - - - - - - - -

Division 4 - Large
Fits in a large box and - - - - - - - - - -

Division 5 - Really Large
Fits in a really large box and - - - - - - - - - -

You get the idea

Other than not allowing disabling of safety devices there wouldn't be any other firearm equipment rules. NONE.

Then we could focus on arguing about holsters, procedural penalties, cover garments. stage design, fault lines, scoring rings on the targets, scoring procedures, safety procedures, range officials, etc.

I also believe it might reduce internet traffic up to 5% by eliminating questions about what guns are "legal in IDPA"

But then, I am optimistic, and should know better.

leekellerking
03-11-2024, 07:05 PM
I hope no one is upset for me reviving this thread, but the newest set of IDPA rules (2023) appears to allow ported barrels in ESP and Co. I say "appears" because the rules for ESP are internally inconsistent:

A.2.1.5 Firearms originally sold as compensated/ported models may be used in ESP with noncompensated/ported barrels installed.

But "ESP Permitted modifications" includes:

A.2.3.2 Compensated and ported barrels that are incorporated into the firearm.

Has anyone seen ported barrels used since the rule change?

Mirolynmonbro
03-13-2024, 09:39 PM
Has anyone seen ported barrels used since the rule change?

Yes. Lots of folks have ported barrels now. I just sent a slide off to magnaport. My friends have had theirs ported since the rule changed

leekellerking
03-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Yes. Lots of folks have ported barrels now. I just sent a slide off to magnaport. My friends have had theirs ported since the rule changed

Then Magnaport, it is. :-)

And I guess while I'm at it, I'll get that custom stipple job done, too. I wonder if my guy can reduce the grip a bit?🤔

Lee

Jim Watson
03-14-2024, 02:52 PM
I just sent a slide off to magnaport.

Let us know how that works out, I was told that the Autoport cuts are not as effective as the superfluous holes of other shapes. I shot a Michigan Arms .45 with Autoport many years ago but have no clear recollection.

I wonder if coated bullets will tolerate ports.

Mirolynmonbro
03-15-2024, 08:34 AM
Let us know how that works out, I was told that the Autoport cuts are not as effective as the superfluous holes of other shapes. I shot a Michigan Arms .45 with Autoport many years ago but have no clear recollection.

I wonder if coated bullets will tolerate ports.

I went back and forth on the kind of ports I wanted. I stopped over thinking it and just flipped a coin and magnaport won. I gave them a call and spoke with the guy who does their ports and he was friendly and knowledgeable.

The friends I mentioned above have ports similar to the monsoon lucky 7s and with coated bullets they have to clean often (less than 1k rounds) or else the buildup under the slide / on top of barrel causes malfunctions. I don't know if that's caused by just the fact of the bullets or the way the holes were drilled. Magnaport uses a laser to make the holes so maybe it will tolerate coated bullets better