PDA

View Full Version : NY nanny state

LittleLebowski
06-30-2020, 07:19 AM
NY is protecting the children from illegal fireworks! You know Cuomo looks upon Chinese mass surveillance and totalitarianism approvingly.

https://www.syracuse.com/state/2020/06/new-ny-state-police-effort-aims-to-stop-illegal-fireworks-entering-from-pa.html

New York — The New York State Police is launching a new effort to stop illegal fireworks from coming into the state from Pennsylvania, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday.

The move comes in response to widespread complaints of fireworks throughout the state, Cuomo said. The problem has affected the New York City area and numerous communities in Upstate New York, including Syracuse.

Fireworks remain illegal in New York, Cuomo added. They’re also dangerous and hurt children and others every year, he said.

blues
06-30-2020, 08:03 AM
I can tell you that fireworks were not scarce in NYC during my formative years. What we couldn't get or buy from folks we knew in our neighborhood, we obtained by taking the subway to Chinatown in lower Manhattan where the whole range was available for purchase from various vendors.

It was an exciting time for a kid.

rkittine
06-30-2020, 08:06 AM
Was always easy to get them across the border in PA, but then around each July 5th, they would publish how many people lost fingers the night before. I will stick to making noise with my guns.

Bob

mdf9183
06-30-2020, 08:23 AM
If Cuomo thinks fireworks is a problem in NY he is a bigger idiot than I thought.

beenalongtime
06-30-2020, 08:36 AM
So what actual issues, is e using this to distract people from?

willie
06-30-2020, 08:39 AM
A young man in my area was riding around throwing lit cherry bombs out his car window. He had a box of them between his legs. One bomb blew back into the vehicle and into the box of bombs, He lost both legs and those other organs too.

blues
06-30-2020, 08:42 AM
If Cuomo thinks fireworks is a problem in NY he is a bigger idiot than I thought.

He's a bigger idiot than you thought.

(And that's probably no mean accomplishment.)

You'd need a proctoscope to go mining for his or de Blasio's brain.

Scorecard:

Acceptable: Rioting, Tearing Down Statues, Looting, Shooting, Vandalism, Robbery, Arson

Not Acceptable: Fireworks...and...Defending oneself from the acceptable category

LittleLebowski
06-30-2020, 08:54 AM
A young man in my area was riding around throwing lit cherry bombs out his car window. He had a box of them between his legs. One bomb blew back into the vehicle and into the box of bombs, He lost both legs and those other organs too.

Freedom be dangerous.

LittleLebowski
06-30-2020, 08:54 AM
So what actual issues, is e using this to distract people from?

Cuomo needs more control at the NY state border. More troopers, checkpoints, searches, etc.

ralph
06-30-2020, 09:05 AM
Cuomo needs more control at the NY state border. More troopers, checkpoints, searches, etc.

I’m sure that thought crossed his pea-brain more than once...

Dan_S
06-30-2020, 09:35 AM

Ever go to NY from VT by car?

You’ll see a sign informing you politely that if you have a handgun, it’s a mandatory two(?) year sentence if caught.

beenalongtime
06-30-2020, 09:50 AM
Freedom be dangerous.

Freedom to be an idiot. (know one, who decided two years ago, to tape a large morter on a hard hat, and hold it on his head. Now his hands are in the same shape as his brains; useless.

Ah, so daddy issues.

LittleLebowski
06-30-2020, 09:52 AM
Ever go to NY from VT by car?

You’ll see a sign informing you politely that if you have a handgun, it’s a mandatory two(?) year sentence if caught.

I avoid the Northeast and will continue to.

GOTURBACK
06-30-2020, 09:59 AM
Freedom to be an idiot. (know one, who decided two years ago, to tape a large morter on a hard hat, and hold it on his head. Now his hands are in the same shape as his brains; useless.

Ah, so daddy issues.

That right there is natural selection at it's best, tape a mortar to your head f'n kabom.

0ddl0t
06-30-2020, 10:18 AM
I lost a commercial building to a fire caused by falling illegal fireworks a few years ago and two of my dogs will spend the next two weeks cowering each night so I don't see them as totally benign. I'm a heavy sleeper, but I also know many who will be groggy and grumpy at work due to people setting them off at semi-regular intervals from 830pm to about 2am every night.

Duelist
06-30-2020, 10:23 AM

Darwin candidates keep on self selecting.

OlongJohnson
06-30-2020, 10:25 AM
The displays on 7/4 and 12/31-1/1 each year are pretty spectacular here in TX, but I'm always bothered by the lack of common sense on display when you look closely at the operations.

I grew up near a reservation where everything was available, and adults started giving me stuff to mess with when I was quite young. As a result, I learned through baby steps what was good, clean fun and what was likely to go badly.

JRB
06-30-2020, 10:39 AM
I can tell you that fireworks were not scarce in NYC during my formative years. What we couldn't get or buy from folks we knew in our neighborhood, we obtained by taking the subway to Chinatown in lower Manhattan where the whole range was available for purchase from various vendors.

It was an exciting time for a kid.

Please write a biography. I mean it!

blues
06-30-2020, 10:55 AM
Please write a biography. I mean it!

JRB, thanks but it's no different or better than anyone else's story here, including yours, brother. I've just had more years to compile some of it. ;)
(I'll stick to telling tales here around the campfire where I'm comfortable with my tribe.)

TheNewbie
06-30-2020, 11:03 AM
My buddies and I used to throw mortar shells like grenades. It’s a wonder we never got hurt.

I’m not surprised NY is focusing on a tiny sapling in the massive forest of problems that are out there.

blues
06-30-2020, 11:08 AM
NY...come for the culture...stay for the campfire...

https://media1.tenor.com/images/489045ba80488e30898ec57cd3056bcd/tenor.gif?itemid=11037863

Cory
06-30-2020, 11:09 AM

-Cory

Borderland
06-30-2020, 11:11 AM

I guess he won't be throwing anymore cherry bombs while driving.

awp_101
06-30-2020, 12:28 PM
Freedom to be an idiot. (know one, who decided two years ago, to tape a large morter on a hard hat, and hold it on his head.
Talk about doing it wrong. Mortars are for knees, not hard hats!

Joe S
06-30-2020, 01:07 PM
NY is protecting the children from illegal fireworks! You know Cuomo looks upon Chinese mass surveillance and totalitarianism approvingly.

Well, as someone who has actually been kept up past 4 AM multiple times in the past several weeks of fireworks going off every night, with multiple launch sites within 2 blocks of my apartment, I'll be excited if it eases up a bit. So will at least one of the animals, who has been freaking out about it. I can't imagine how pissed I'd be if I had a fussy infant. It was hard enough for a few months being close to a couple hospitals, since I got to hear ambulance sirens just about 24 hours a day. Not hyperbole.

I don't think fireworks should be illegal. But I can see the argument in NYC. As it is, our little largely Dominican neighborhood usually gets pretty festive for the 10 or so days bracketing July 4th, but then it's done until the next year. But if it was really wild, on any given day, the likelihood of something going through an open window into someone's home is decent. Folks who've not spent time in NYC often fail to realize how vertical it is, much more so than many other cities. You could be in our pretty quiet (by NYC standards) area, and have several hundreds of windows within line of sight, on one block.

Anyway, they're already breaking noise ordnances/disturbing the peace.

TheNewbie
06-30-2020, 01:11 PM
My partner and I drove through “little Mexico” a couple of years ago on the 4th. It was illuminating.

Wait, is my use of illuminating there kind of an blues type thing?

blues
06-30-2020, 01:19 PM
https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/small-town-fireworks-show-alan-raasch.jpg

rkittine
06-30-2020, 04:58 PM
Safely handled and controlled pyrotechniques are great.

Wise_A
06-30-2020, 05:59 PM
I'm fine with it? There have been fireworks every night since June 1st. Every other year, tents are erected to sell fireworks in unused commercial pads (last year, I counted six in my daily AO), despite the fact that most years we've been under a burn ban. So--illegal businesses operating in public, giant signs telling you where to find them, and I'm expected not to put a different plastic grip on an AR?

If people want to legalize fireworks, then fine. But if they're illegal, then it should be enforced.

FWIW, I received a fucking multi-page, glossy and in color, from the outfit that usually runs the tents, with fireworks for sale by mail order.