PDA

View Full Version : Garage #4 pull rope

OlongJohnson
06-25-2020, 11:10 AM
Has anybody actually seen a close-up photo of the knot in question? There are some really low-res images that provide a visual that there was a knot with a loop. I'd just kinda like to see the knot itself so one could see how it's tied.My understanding is that the FBI report said it's not a "functional noose."

RevolverRob
06-25-2020, 11:26 AM
Not yet, the videos and images I've seen are all too far away to see how the knot was tied. I doubt NASCAR will be releasing images of the pull rope in question...

OlongJohnson
06-25-2020, 12:20 PM
Looks like they've finally released one.

https://tobychristie.com/2020/06/25/nascar-releases-first-photo-of-noose-found-in-bubba-wallaces-talladega-garage-stall/

MickAK
06-25-2020, 01:01 PM

https://tobychristie.com/2020/06/25/nascar-releases-first-photo-of-noose-found-in-bubba-wallaces-talladega-garage-stall/

If it's 'not a functional noose' then there's most likely an overhand underneath the second turn from the top to prevent the loop from closing. There's a few ways to do this if you want the wraps to serve as a handhold but still want the loop.

Joe in PNG
06-25-2020, 01:05 PM

Interesting. I wonder if the other garage ropes tied into a similar loop?

RevolverRob
06-25-2020, 01:29 PM

According to the article - Nope -

but that it wasn’t present in any other garage stall’s pull down rope.

That certainly is a noose looking loop. That said, and maybe I'm the only one here, but I've tied fishing knots in a similar fashion. The biggest difference is as MickAK notes - whether you loop back through the wraps or you tie an overhand to keep it from slipping. I've used both and in fact about a week ago, I tied up some loose cord hanging downstairs using a similar set of wraps. If I'd left enough loop on the end for a hand hold, it would have looked like a noose.

1911Nut
06-25-2020, 01:59 PM
I started to go on a rant here about the ridiculous bullshit that seems to take up far too much of today's narrative.

Fortunately, I came to my senses and remembered that I participate in this forum for the purpose of expanding my knowledge of firearm and self-defense related subjects.

Count me among those who will decline to waste my time debating the "meaning" of the way the fiber cords of a rope are arranged, or how a word or historical monument makes me "feel".

OlongJohnson
06-25-2020, 02:43 PM

Loops, yes. The others I've seen photos of don't have the distinctive stack of coils. Generally look more like a "surgeon's knot."

I was kinda thinking, as others in the thread have also suggested, that something along the lines of a heaving line knot with a fixed loop on the end may have seemed like a good technical solution to somebody who wakes up thinking about race cars, goes to sleep thinking about race cars, thinks about race cars most of the time in between, and doesn't have a ton of time left over for politics.

That actually seems more likely to me than that someone who is basically in the business of advertising had the poor judgement to leave a little hate crime time bomb in what is essentially a public place.

ETA: Found an example of the scaffold knot tied with a significant number of loops on this Russian knife site, on a page dealing with paracord accessories. Looks pretty much like the photo of garage #4. I'm sure none of the crew that worked in that garage last fall ever messed with paracord.

http://knifeinfo.ru/samodelnyj-temlyak-vytyazhnoj-remeshok.html

In tourist knives and survival knives, the so-called “scaffold unit” can be used in the manufacture of an exhaust cord or lanyard.

This knot is simple in execution, the length of the formed loop is easy to adjust, and if necessary, it can be quickly dissolved, having at its disposal a rather long cord (the more turns, the longer the cord). In field conditions, such a cord can be used for a variety of works (making an impromptu spear or bow, repairing equipment, as a medical tourniquet, etc.).

(Hope that site doesn't give anyone's machine e-herpes.)

blues
06-25-2020, 02:58 PM
Who the hell hasn't ever made a noose. I use to make 'em as a kid because that's how cowboys dispensed justice.

Now they usually go on a pocketknife lanyard.

Guess they'll be coming for me soon. :rolleyes:

RoyGBiv
06-25-2020, 03:13 PM

This bit matters...

After an investigation by NASCAR and the FBI, it was determined that the noose had been up in the Talladega Superspeedway garage since at least October of 2019.

So.... did someone decided to assign Bubba that stall specifically because of the pull rope? Seems farfetched, but, so is CHOP.

0ddl0t
06-25-2020, 03:20 PM
The loop existed last year:

https://news.unclesamsmisguidedchildren.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/nascarnoose2.jpg

but since then someone retied the knot in manner resembling a noose:

https://i2.wp.com/tobychristie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/EbXvGA0UMAAUeTT.jpeg

theJanitor
06-25-2020, 03:36 PM
Does anyone know who notified NASCAR of the rope/noose? Was it Bubba, or someone else?

scw2
06-25-2020, 03:45 PM
Does anyone know who notified NASCAR of the rope/noose? Was it Bubba, or someone else?

I believe it was a member of his team who is also a minority.

OlongJohnson
06-25-2020, 04:00 PM
The loop existed last year:

https://news.unclesamsmisguidedchildren.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/nascarnoose2.jpg

but since then someone retied the knot in manner resembling a noose:

https://i2.wp.com/tobychristie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/EbXvGA0UMAAUeTT.jpeg

That first one is a still from a video showing a different garage. It was just picked up on as an example of loops in pull ropes being ubiquitous.

There are other screen shots circulating that show the actual knot in garage #4 was present in November 2019, which is what led the FBI to conclude no hate crime had been committed against Bubba. There is no evidence that anyone took a "normal" knot and retied it as a noose-looking knot.

RevolverRob
06-25-2020, 05:01 PM
Was thinking about this...I really kind of want to make fun of NASCAR and Bubba Watson and crew for freaking the fuck out over a knot in a garage...

Simultaneously...the only black dude in the whole sport, goes on record speaking out against racism in the U.S. a few days before, and a "noose" is in his garage a few days later at a big national race. All of us would probably pause at those circumstances as well...and it's not as if there hasn't ever been a noose tossed around the office/garage/home of an outspoken black guy before. I wonder how many nooses MLK or Malcolm X found over the years?

It is fortunate for NASCAR and Bubba Watson that it turns out to have just been a knot tied that way and coincidence that he was randomly assigned that garage. And I do think NASCAR did well, to immediately get the ball rolling on an investigation and keep everyone appraised of it the way they did. It says a lot about how NASCAR is evolving as a professional entity. I dare say they handled it a lot better than the NFL has handled things the last few years...

And before anyone decides to rant about how Bubba should just drive in circles and STFU - Let's can that shit. I could say the same thing about ANYONE, "Oh you're a roofer? Maybe you should hammer down shingles and shut the fuck up." If someone feels passionately about something and simultaneously has the talent/fame/stage to speak about it, not only is it their right to do so, but they have the opportunity to reach a broader stage. In the same way we all tend to like pro-gun celebrities, we should like anti-racist celebrities too.

OlongJohnson
06-25-2020, 05:11 PM

I believe Bubba was chilling in his transporter (drivers are directed to stay away from other people as much as possible except when getting in the car) when the top guy from NASCAR knocked on the door to inform him of what had been found.

Joe in PNG
06-25-2020, 05:11 PM
It's odd how some people don't notice things for years, then, whoa- what's that, and how long has THAT been there?

DDTSGM
06-25-2020, 05:27 PM
I believe Bubba was chilling in his transporter (drivers are directed to stay away from other people as much as possible except when getting in the car) when the top guy from NASCAR knocked on the door to inform him of what had been found.

Yes, a lot of people voicing opisnions don't seem to have read much about this thing, just jumped on the bandwagon, so to speak.

Bubba was just along for the ride, up to a point, now he just needs to let this go away.

blues
06-25-2020, 05:42 PM
Was thinking about this...I really kind of want to make fun of NASCAR and Bubba Watson and crew for freaking the fuck out over a knot in a garage...

Simultaneously...the only black dude in the whole sport, goes on record speaking out against racism in the U.S. a few days before, and a "noose" is in his garage a few days later at a big national race. All of us would probably pause at those circumstances as well...and it's not as if there hasn't ever been a noose tossed around the office/garage/home of an outspoken black guy before. I wonder how many nooses MLK or Malcolm X found over the years?

It is fortunate for NASCAR and Bubba Watson that it turns out to have just been a knot tied that way and coincidence that he was randomly assigned that garage. And I do think NASCAR did well, to immediately get the ball rolling on an investigation and keep everyone appraised of it the way they did. It says a lot about how NASCAR is evolving as a professional entity. I dare say they handled it a lot better than the NFL has handled things the last few years...

And before anyone decides to rant about how Bubba should just drive in circles and STFU - Let's can that shit. I could say the same thing about ANYONE, "Oh you're a roofer? Maybe you should hammer down shingles and shut the fuck up." If someone feels passionately about something and simultaneously has the talent/fame/stage to speak about it, not only is it their right to do so, but they have the opportunity to reach a broader stage. In the same way we all tend to like pro-gun celebrities, we should like anti-racist celebrities too.

Rob, please stop acting and posting like you are the voice of reason and morality. You have taken every side of an issue and claimed it as your own and honestly, it's tiresome. Go lecture elsewhere.

That aside, I'm cynical enough not to jump to conclusions that there was anything sinister going on here. Unless I conducted the investigation to my own satisfaction, I'd not rule out a Jussie Smollett event wherein the "victim" created the episode out of whole cloth.

These days there's not much I'm taking on face value or allegations. You're free to draw your own conclusions of course. Just spare us the lecture from the moral high ground. You don't own it.

OlongJohnson
06-25-2020, 05:58 PM
https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndal/pr/joint-statement-us-attorney-jay-e-town-and-fbi-special-agent-charge-johnnie-sharp-jr

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, June 23, 2020
Joint Statement from U.S. Attorney Jay E. Town and FBI Special Agent in Charge Johnnie Sharp, Jr. Regarding the Noose Found in NASCAR’s Bubba Wallace’s Garage at Talladega Superspeedway
“On Monday, fifteen FBI special agents conducted numerous interviews regarding the situation at Talladega Superspeedway. After a thorough review of the facts and evidence surrounding this event, we have concluded that no federal crime was committed.

The FBI learned that garage number 4, where the noose was found, was assigned to Bubba Wallace last week. The investigation also revealed evidence, including authentic video confirmed by NASCAR, that the noose found in garage number 4 was in that garage as early as October 2019. Although the noose is now known to have been in garage number 4 in 2019, nobody could have known Mr. Wallace would be assigned to garage number 4 last week.

The decision not to pursue federal charges is proper after reviewing all available facts and all applicable federal laws. We offer our thanks to NASCAR, Mr. Wallace, and everyone who cooperated with this investigation.”

idahojess
06-25-2020, 07:27 PM
Am I the only one wondering why NASCAR can't afford garage door openers?

blues
06-25-2020, 07:31 PM

They're traditional.

RevolverRob
06-25-2020, 07:33 PM

I thought about that too. But then I remembered, the track is privately owned, so it’s the track owners that didn’t spring for garage door openers. I was Also wondering why they don’t have proper roll up doors with chain hoists to raise them, then I remembered you can’t put windows in roll up doors like that. A lot of tracks I’ve been to, the garage bay doors are windowed to allow spectators to see in.

TCB
06-25-2020, 08:11 PM
My wife asked me to hang a plant for her once...
Came out pretty good...

Edster
06-25-2020, 10:00 PM
Deleted

Suvorov
06-25-2020, 10:22 PM
It's odd how some people don't notice things for years, then, whoa- what's that, and how long has THAT been there?

Ain't it funny how it works?

Honestly - I didn't know tying a noose looking slip knot was racist until this week. :o

BigD
06-25-2020, 11:36 PM
Not yet, the videos and images I've seen are all too far away to see how the knot was tied. I doubt NASCAR will be releasing images of the pull rope in question...

This is good.

OlongJohnson
06-25-2020, 11:50 PM

Not just the cost. I reckon the guys can lift it up and close it themselves faster than waiting for the motor to do it for them. At least that's the case for me and the single-bay shop doors I deal with.

Joe in PNG
06-26-2020, 06:12 AM
Ain't it funny how it works?

Honestly - I didn't know tying a noose looking slip knot was racist until this week. :o

As many here can tell you, a lot of people just don't notice what's going on around them.

RoyGBiv
06-26-2020, 06:33 AM
My wife asked me to hang a plant for her once...
Came out pretty good...
You took out the cabinets to hang a plant?
Talk about taking the long way around.

:o