PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Atlanta Travel Question

RoyGBiv
06-23-2020, 01:59 PM
If someone had the need to drive straight through Atlanta at around 2PM on a weekday, on I-20 from East to West, is there any reason (currently) that would be a bad idea?

Any reported lawless hi-jinx on the I-20?

Taking 285 South and around would add 15-20 minutes (to a 19 hour drive). 285 North and around adds about a half hour.

Looking at dates in early July.

TIA

ranger
06-23-2020, 02:03 PM
I think the major interstates are relatively safe during the morning and middle of day. Suggest listening to Atlanta news and traffic radio station 95.5 plus watch WAZE for traffic updates. If you see WAZE traffic issues you can then take 285.

HCountyGuy
06-23-2020, 03:04 PM
You should be fine sticking to the interstate. Just be cautious at the merges with I-285 and I-75/85. Those usually suck because folks don’t pay attention to the signs of “Exit Only” lane...

RoyGBiv
06-23-2020, 03:22 PM
I think the major interstates are relatively safe during the morning and middle of day. Suggest listening to Atlanta news and traffic radio station 95.5 plus watch WAZE for traffic updates. If you see WAZE traffic issues you can then take 285.

Good idea, WAZE.. Thanks.
I don't use it because last time I tried it demanded I give up my contacts.
This trip is my kid returning from finishing undergrad classwork... got an internship to finish in the Fall and then graduation (early!).. Woot!
Trying to route them (driving with a friend) around any possible problems.

I haven't seen of any issues in Meridian, MS....??
I think they'll spend the night there and not try to drive 19 hours all at once.

You should be fine sticking to the interstate. Just be cautious at the merges with I-285 and I-75/85. Those usually suck because folks don’t pay attention to the signs of “Exit Only” lane...

I've messed up exiting 285 more than my fair share. And it was only like 20 lanes across back then. ;)

Thanks. !

Robinson
06-23-2020, 03:32 PM
You should be okay crossing the city on 20 at 2pm. Anytime after about 3:30 will be dicey as traffic really picks up then -- and forget about 285 in late afternoon.

RoyGBiv
06-23-2020, 03:40 PM
You should be okay crossing the city on 20 at 2pm. Anytime after about 3:30 will be dicey as traffic really picks up then -- and forget about 285 in late afternoon.

COVID traffic is still nutz?... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll remind them to get an early start..

Robinson
06-23-2020, 04:03 PM
COVID traffic is still nutz?... :rolleyes:

Yeah good point. Sorry, I was basing my post on normal traffic patterns. With the decrease in Atlanta traffic due to COVID you will probably have a bigger window during the day in which you can traverse the city without getting hung up. But still, I think in general my advice is sound. :)

ranger
06-23-2020, 04:21 PM
Atlanta traffic still bad. Always truck traffic and the nonessentials are just wondering around on the roads.

HCountyGuy
06-23-2020, 04:38 PM
Traffic seems to be getting back to pre-COVID levels, at least from my observations.

Mark D
06-23-2020, 05:46 PM
I would add the usual vehicle travel stuff.

Top off in the tank before you get to half. Preferably during daylight, in "good" areas.
Pre-trip inspection of vehicle, including tires and spare.
Basic snacks and water so you can keep going if you want.
Road atlas in case you end up having to detour.
Etc.

Good luck.

farscott
06-23-2020, 05:58 PM
Assuming you are staying on I-20 well past Atlanta, the traffic westbound stays fairly heavy in the afternoons until you are west of Villa Rica. If you need fuel, i suggest filling up well before metro Atlanta or filling up at the Pilot or Flying J west of Atlanta in Temple, just north of I-20. We usually fill up there when we either head towards or are leaving Atlanta.

Boxy
06-23-2020, 06:17 PM

Concur with this assessment. Be aware if there is a heavy thunderstorm there will be mayhem due to slack jaw mouth breathing droolers who speed up when it rains in Atlanta.

knownothing
06-23-2020, 09:31 PM
Regarding Waze, it is a great app and more effective at showing slowdowns/blockages than Google/Apple Maps. The one cautionary piece of advice I have for college students using it is to be careful if you choose to pick a new route (off interstate) due to route alternatives the app will show you.

I say this as a college student not too long ago, going from Athens to Starkville for a Collegiate Timbersports competition. Our group used Waze to get off I-20 at heavy traffic blockage and drive through some unfamiliar Atlanta neighborhoods. The app saved us a fair bit of time, but one person in the group swore we passed where Snow on tha Bluff was filmed and some Tuatahi axes were taken out of storage (I know say unwisely). Needless to stay we waited patiently in traffic when we made our way back.

DC_P
06-24-2020, 08:44 AM
I drove through downtown ATL on the interstate twice each way north-south this week and it was fine. Traffic is hard to judge these days, but between 11a-3p would be ideal. That said,all else being equal 285 around the south side should not add more than 5-10 mins and I would highly recommend it because even before all this non-sense driving through downtown sucks. I would not get off the interstate inside the perimeter (I-285) except in an emergency. Too many unknowns...

RoyGBiv
06-24-2020, 09:06 AM
I would add the usual vehicle travel stuff.

Top off in the tank before you get to half. Preferably during daylight, in "good" areas.
Pre-trip inspection of vehicle, including tires and spare.
Basic snacks and water so you can keep going if you want.
Road atlas in case you end up having to detour.
Etc.

Good luck.

Thanks Mark.... We're seasoned travelers and will have the basics covered. I did forget to put "check the spare" on the list... Fixed!
The car has an appointment at the shop tomorrow for a thorough once-over before the trip. Worth the peace of mind. :cool:

RoyGBiv
06-24-2020, 09:06 AM
Assuming you are staying on I-20 well past Atlanta, the traffic westbound stays fairly heavy in the afternoons until you are west of Villa Rica. If you need fuel, i suggest filling up well before metro Atlanta or filling up at the Pilot or Flying J west of Atlanta in Temple, just north of I-20. We usually fill up there when we either head towards or are leaving Atlanta.

Noted. Thanks!

RoyGBiv
06-24-2020, 09:10 AM
I drove through downtown ATL on the interstate twice each way north-south this week and it was fine. Traffic is hard to judge these days, but between 11a-3p would be ideal. That said,all else being equal 285 around the south side should not add more than 5-10 mins and I would highly recommend it because even before all this non-sense driving through downtown sucks. I would not get off the interstate inside the perimeter (I-285) except in an emergency. Too many unknowns...

I was leaning in this direction already.... but was not familiar with the current situation on the south loop....

Thanks.

ranger
06-24-2020, 10:08 AM
Whatever you do, do not buy gas inside the perimeter of Atlanta. Before the protests, seems like most dangerous place in Atlanta is a gas station. Regular news reports of shootings, etc. at gas stations.

RoyGBiv
06-24-2020, 11:33 AM
Whatever you do, do not buy gas inside the perimeter of Atlanta. Before the protests, seems like most dangerous place in Atlanta is a gas station. Regular news reports of shootings, etc. at gas stations.

Copy! Thanks.

NGP
06-24-2020, 12:24 PM
GSP had the on and off ramps in the sporty areas pretty well blocked off when I went through there last week.

RoyGBiv
07-08-2020, 03:19 PM
My kid will be making this trip tomorrow. Starting from Wilmington, likely be passing through ATL around 1PM-ish. Planning to overnight in Meridian.

I assume with the National Guard deployed there will be more State Patrol resources to keep problems off the highway?
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/07/07/atlanta-mayor-no-need-for-national-guard-troops-despite-governors-order/

Looks like previous advice here remains viable. Please let me know if I've missed something.

Thanks again for all the tips.

HCountyGuy
07-08-2020, 04:01 PM
My kid will be making this trip tomorrow. Starting from Wilmington, likely be passing through ATL around 1PM-ish. Planning to overnight in Meridian.

I assume with the National Guard deployed there will be more State Patrol resources to keep problems off the highway?
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/07/07/atlanta-mayor-no-need-for-national-guard-troops-despite-governors-order/

Looks like previous advice here remains viable. Please let me know if I've missed something.

Kid may run in to some post lunch hour traffic but should otherwise be fine.

willie
07-08-2020, 05:05 PM

Good idea to stay in Meridian. Jackson is a combat zone but passing through won't be a problem. My old area.

East of Shreveport/Bossier City on I-20 there is a loop that goes around the two cities. I urge you to direct your daughter to take it. Otherwise she must contend with on-going construction as she drives through both areas. Without construction it is congested.

RoyGBiv
07-08-2020, 05:18 PM
Good idea to stay in Meridian. Jackson is a combat zone but passing through won't be a problem. My old area.

I've spent enough time in Jackson to know... Good food... Sleep elsewhere.

Thanks!

farscott
07-08-2020, 06:05 PM
A great place to stop for fuel, food, and a break is Leeds, AL. It is east of Birmingham and has high-volume gas stations and good food choices. There is even a Cracker Barrel on the north side of I-20. I suggest NOT stopping anywhere in Birmingham.

1Rangemaster
07-08-2020, 06:09 PM
WSB radio-95.5FM-has traffic updates at half hour news time, and “traffic alerts” when necessary. Should be fine, as others have said, driving straight through on I20.
There are “Highway Emergency Reponse Operator”(HERO) service trucks in the Atlanta metro area should there be an emergency like a flat. Dial 511, and follow prompts-punch “1” should get an operator. I bring this up because one of my daughters used them for a flat, and it worked.
Forecast possible thunderstorms, so if the driver runs into rain, just slow up a bit because a lot of Atlanta area drivers can be idiotic.
Good news is the GA National Guard is in the city and things seem calm, especially during daylight hours.

RoyGBiv
07-09-2020, 06:24 PM
Safely through Atlanta, blew past Meridian, onward home.

Kkudos to Hhilton for the no charge cancelation inside the window.

Thanks again for all the feedback here. Much appreciated. :cool:

RoyGBiv
09-14-2020, 07:12 PM
Here's a lesson. When you KNOW a thing, act accordingly.

I had occasion to drive through Atlanta yesterday. From the West (I-20) to the North (I-85). I KNEW I should take I-285 West Loop Northbound. Google told me it was 30 minutes faster to drive I-20 to 75/85 and North through town.

"It's a Sunday. There's nothing in the news. It'll be fine"

What google failed to say was that the 75/85 split was fracked and that the workaround was to exit onto the surface roads for about a mile and catch the Buford Connector to bypass the delay.

- I knew i should just take 285
- I knew i should pay the price for not taking 285 and stay on 75/85 through the split. It was only 25 minutes.
- I knew something was hinky when I saw the "broken down" new Lexus blocking traffic in the intersection.

I could see traffic backed up maybe 75 yards behind that Lexus. But I was already committed to turning that way. Next thing I know, I'm sitting in the middle of it and a dozen "youths" spill into the gridlocked traffic and start pulling door handles. Thankfully unsuccessfully. Lots of gesturing, window knocking, face making, but no broken glass. Thankfully.

I'm taking 285 on the way back South, regardless of how backed up it is.
It's not like I didn't ask.

Don't take the fast way when you know it's high potential for stupid people doing stupid things.

Don't be like me.

ranger
09-14-2020, 07:19 PM
Weekends can be tough in Atlanta traffic because "they" choose to do hiway repairs on weekends.

Tensaw
09-14-2020, 08:11 PM
Is this basically downtown ATL i.e., thru the business district?

Robinson
09-15-2020, 07:41 AM
Is this basically downtown ATL i.e., thru the business district?

Yeah pretty much. If you take 20 in from the West and pick up 75 North you've just gone through downtown Atlanta and will head up toward Midtown to get to the 75/85 split.

RoyGBiv
09-15-2020, 09:30 PM
Yeah pretty much. If you take 20 in from the West and pick up 75 North you've just gone through downtown Atlanta and will head up toward Midtown to get to the 75/85 split.

Exactly.

Whatever surface street exit is about a mile, maybe less, from where 75 and 85 split. I wasn't on surface streets for more than a mile and a half before I was on the Burford. I'll try to find it on the map when I get a chance.