PDA

View Full Version : Best Methods of Carrying a Fixed Blade Knife Concealed

Antonius
06-22-2020, 11:47 AM
Hello Everyone,

For those of you who carry a small (2.5” to 4” blade to medium (4” to 7”) sized fixed blade knife concealed in lieu of your pistol(s) what positions and sheaths have you found to be both concealable and comfortable?

Thank you for your input.

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Antonius
06-22-2020, 11:57 AM
I should have added that I am in Texas so the majority of the year I would be concealing and accessing the knife from under an untucked shirt.

Thank you for your input.

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PNWTO
06-22-2020, 11:58 AM
For the CP and similar-sizes the horizontal/down-angled belt setup is pretty good, very accessible and okay with concealment, user dress-dependent.

For IWB sheaths the Sayoc clips are gamechanging. Many companies can make a custom sheath for a particular blade.

Probably would have better answers if you listed some potential blades you’re looking at carrying.

momano
06-22-2020, 02:41 PM
When I'm unable to carry my g43, I carry my Izula in the factory sheath with a tek-lok clip vertical where my glock would be. I've been experimenting with a Dark Star Gear sheath, horizontal with a soft loop, at 11:00. I'm also experimenting with my TOPS mini scandi, horizontal, soft loop, at 11:00. Comfort-wise, carrying a knife in the same place and fashion as my pistol works best for me. I'm following this thread with interest.

Clusterfrack
06-22-2020, 02:49 PM
Mummert clips are the secret sauce for me.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200622/9fb692106fd30d82d2996fee3b70f8e6.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200622/6f7fceb36d1493e0533d62218f458020.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200622/b6835fbeabd25fac353979c61d47b5d3.jpg

BillSWPA
06-22-2020, 03:15 PM
With a closed front concealment garment like an untucked shirt, a Mickey Yurco palm knife works well on the belt, secured by a mini-Tec-Lock. Mine is set up for weak side carry.

A Chris Fry/Raven Concealment Pocket Shield is good for holding a fixed blade sheath in the proper position in a front pocket of dress slacks. The sheath that came with my Clinch Pick is attached to one. I also have Dark Star horizontal and vertical belt sheaths, which I have not yet used.

I occasionally carry a Bud Nealy Pesh Kabz hanging upside down from the inside pocket of a suit jacket or sport jacket.

joker581
06-22-2020, 04:41 PM
It depends on what I'm carrying and what I'm wearing but I'll often clip a knife inside my waistband in an AIWB position, at an angle that lets it ride comfortably. Other times I'll carry one in my pocket in a sheath with a pocket hook.

Dave Williams
06-22-2020, 06:15 PM
For IWB sheaths the Sayoc clips are gamechanging. Many companies can make a custom sheath for a particular blade.

I really like the Sayoc iwb sheath setup. I'm currently using the Magnus from Amtac Blades. Really nice setup.

javemtr
06-23-2020, 04:35 AM
Kydex sheath with Discreet Carry Concepts clips has worked for me. They come in a variety of flavors, I'm sure you'll find one to suit your needs. https://discreetcarryconcepts.com/
Since I don't carry a firearm, I am free to position the knife where for many people a AIWB rig would go: knife positioned slightly off the centerline, slightly angled to the outside so that the handle is out of the way when bending over.

Crusader8207
06-23-2020, 07:53 AM
I carry the Shivworks Push Dagger every single day with or without my pistol at 3 o clock. It is extremely comfortable and easy access. When I am in an NPE and have to wear a suit with a tucked shirt and a jacket the push dagger does not print at all. It has become one thing that I never leave home without because it is so easy to carry.

theJanitor
06-23-2020, 02:23 PM

Me too. Strider Tricon, Mummert clip, and a foam wedge

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200623/1e7c61132b0d6f5ef486283211a12316.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totem Polar
06-23-2020, 03:16 PM
I rely on SFBs a lot. Clinch pick, as designed—especially in a Cecil/JMCK rig; pocket hook carry kydex with RE designs (Ban Tang Pikal, Calderon/Kopis L-via), AIWB with kydex and pul the dot loop, or these days, especially, AIWB old school:

UNK
06-23-2020, 06:15 PM
I rely on SFBs a lot. Clinch pick, as designed—especially in a Cecil/JMCK rig; pocket hook carry kydex with RE designs (Ban Tang Pikal, Calderon/Kopis L-via), AIWB with kydex and pul the dot loop, or these days, especially, AIWB old school:

What knife is that?

Totem Polar
06-23-2020, 06:48 PM
What knife is that?

A Halloran RD.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?42851-Tom-Halloran-has-been-incrementally-upping-his-game

Hambo
06-24-2020, 05:40 PM
Mummert clip

It just grabs the edge of the pants material at the bottom of the belt?

theJanitor
06-24-2020, 06:46 PM
It just grabs the edge of the pants material at the bottom of the belt?

no, it grabs the belt. the tail of the belt is covering the clip

TheRoland
06-24-2020, 07:30 PM
Where do you guys like to carry, if not carrying centerline? I've had no end of problems finding a comfortable place to put a fixed blade.

I can't get comfortable with centerline carry when seated, especially in a bucket-seated car.

I can't carry horizontally when I need to have a shirt tucked and honestly everything seems way too visible horizontal.

If I shift the grip vertical to my 2-o clock position, I'll catch it occasionally on my strong-side gun draw

My gun is at 3 to 330.

If I put the blade at 4 it also seems to sometimes shift to cover my gun rather than remaining completely verticle.

I've considered trying to switch to some sort of pocket holster.

BillSWPA
06-24-2020, 09:29 PM
At least 95% of the time I carry a pocket-opening folder, and not a fixed blade. The gun, spare ammo, and possibly backup gun take priority in gear placement.

In every state in which I am likely to travel in which I cannot carry a gun, I also cannot carry a fixed blade.

BillSWPA
06-24-2020, 10:36 PM
One other option for carrying a fixed blade, at least if double edged knives are permitted, is Ken Null’s ankle sheath for a Gerber Guardian. It is made like his ankle holster, but positions the knife on the outside of the strong side leg.

I have one, but have only worn it briefly. Comfort and concealment are both excellent.

Hambo
06-25-2020, 05:05 AM
Where do you guys like to carry, if not carrying centerline? I've had no end of problems finding a comfortable place to put a fixed blade.

I can't get comfortable with centerline carry when seated, especially in a bucket-seated car.

I can't carry horizontally when I need to have a shirt tucked and honestly everything seems way too visible horizontal.

If I shift the grip vertical to my 2-o clock position, I'll catch it occasionally on my strong-side gun draw

My gun is at 3 to 330.

If I put the blade at 4 it also seems to sometimes shift to cover my gun rather than remaining completely verticle.

I've considered trying to switch to some sort of pocket holster.

I don't carry right at center line. My clinch pick is left of center, 10-11 o'clock depending on the location of belt loops. My Halloran has moved around, either like Janitor's pick, or 3 o'clock (pistol is AIWB). I just got a Calderone fruit knife, and it's great in a pocket. To draw, the sheath catches the edge of the pocket, but I might mount it on a pocket shield.

PNWTO
06-25-2020, 09:24 PM

I’m a big fan of my AmTac Northman for accessibility, both in the right pocket for forward grip and the left for reverse.

I’ve never had anyone give it a second look, fwiw.

A Victorinox fruit knife in a pocket sheath is also a “set it and forget it” option; same for the Ban Tang pocket blades.

RevolverRob
07-05-2020, 12:34 AM
I have never found anything as comfortable or as accessible as a Clinch Pick in a belt-wrap sheath at 11:30 or so on my belt, particularly under an untucked shirt. The only difficulty arises if I am carrying a spare magazine at the front opposite an appendix-carried gun. In those cases the Clinch Pick tends to print, due to being pushed out. Fortunately, I solved that problem by not carrying spare mags like that.

mrozowjj
07-10-2020, 08:02 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200622/9fb692106fd30d82d2996fee3b70f8e6.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200622/6f7fceb36d1493e0533d62218f458020.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200622/b6835fbeabd25fac353979c61d47b5d3.jpg

That clip looks awesome.

What knife do you have in the sheath? It looks different from all the others you have outside of the sheath.

Up1911Fan
07-10-2020, 08:09 PM
That clip looks awesome.

What knife do you have in the sheath? It looks different from all the others you have outside of the sheath.
Look's a Watson pikal.

Up1911Fan
07-10-2020, 08:12 PM
I strongly prefer the Sayoc/Bladerigs style of sheath to just putting a clip on factory taco style sheaths. BR hasn't been taking work in month's, I currently have two live blades and a trainer at Darwin Concealment for sheaths.

Clusterfrack
07-10-2020, 08:30 PM
That clip looks awesome.

Yes, that’s a Watson Pikal. My Precious...