PDA

View Full Version : Possible evidence of the Tasmanian tiger/thylacine in Australia as of late

LittleLebowski
06-20-2020, 07:27 PM
https://www.businessinsider.com/australians-report-sightings-tasmanian-tiger-once-thought-extinct-2019-10

Eight reported sightings of a creature believed to be extinct are forcing experts to wonder whether it could still be alive.

But a newly released government document from Tasmania's Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment reveals that Australian citizens have reported Tasmanian tiger sightings as recently as two months ago.

Lost River
06-20-2020, 07:56 PM
They may have been imported to N. America at one point.

I think I dated the redheaded version in college back in the early 90s.

Be careful, they are naturally attracted to rodeo cowboys, and are absolute man eaters.

Oh, and the claws, yeah the claws..

Cookie Monster
06-20-2020, 08:13 PM
There is a great Wild Kratts episode about them if anyone has kids or got Amazon Prime PBS kids subscription.

Totem Polar
06-20-2020, 11:32 PM
Footage of benjamin, the last one from 1936 or whenever:

https://news.sky.com/story/newly-released-film-offers-final-glimpse-of-extinct-tasmanian-tiger-11991327

Suvorov
06-20-2020, 11:36 PM
That would be real cool if they could be brought back to a healthy MANAGED population.

Balisong
06-21-2020, 01:03 AM
Such a cool animal. I hope it's true.

FrankinCA
06-21-2020, 01:32 AM
There is a good movie with Willem Dafoe about The Tasmanian Tiger. It’s called The Hunter

RevolverRob
06-21-2020, 08:20 AM
This would be super cool if it turns out to be true.

That said, I have my doubts, the thylacine is like Australia's Yeti at this point.

Lost River
06-21-2020, 09:57 AM
I would think that they likely are roaming AU, at least in small numbers.

For a great many years the "Official" version from both state and federal authorities was that there were no wolves in Idaho, yet I clearly remember seeing a large wolf in a meadow not far from the Frank Church Wilderness area when I was with my dad as a kid. Fish and Game later told us we were looking at a coyote:rolleyes:

For years I saw wolf tracks in the region, and other evidence, not to mention listening to them howl, but "NOPE, no wolves here" was the answer that was always stated.

For those that don't know, the difference between a wold howl and a coyote is unmistakable. Not to mention paw print size,coloring, etc.

Then when I was in my early 20s I saw a couple of them while elk hunting. Yep, No wolves here..

Then the U.S. Fish and Wildlife, along with state F&G "re-introduced" Canadian wolves (we never had Canadian wolves, our were a bit smaller variety) and they received obscene amounts of federal dollars to set up and run these programs, since they needed to "restore balance to nature"... Lots of "experts" aka urbanites who received wildlife biology degrees arrived in the area to educate us dumb western types about the difference between a wolf and a coyote, and a deer and an elk.

I have had many conversations with these people who are always from someplace else, and while they may be book-smart, it is best that they never leave a parking lot, or a very clearly marked trail, as a great many would find themselves lost 100 yards from their shiny federally funded pickups or smartphones. One thing I have noticed is that they absolutely will not venture off the highways in the winter months, as the conditions are just too harsh.

Anyways all that said,

I don't think it would be unthinkable that there are a few Tasmanian Tigers roaming around, feeding nocturnally, and avoiding human contact. They are probably better off having minimal contact with us.

LittleLebowski
06-21-2020, 03:11 PM
PDF of Aussie gov't records on recent sightings.

https://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/Documents/RTI%20025%20-%202019-20.pdf

Clusterfrack
06-21-2020, 03:22 PM
I so hope this is true. It would make me really happy if the Taz Tiger wasn’t extinct.

LittleLebowski
06-21-2020, 03:25 PM
I so hope this is true. It would make me really happy if the Taz Tiger wasn’t extinct.

Same here.

Suvorov
06-21-2020, 03:28 PM
This would be super cool if it turns out to be true.

That said, I have my doubts, the thylacine is like Australia's Yeti at this point.

Plus it would give me hope that somewhere there hides a small pack of Allosaurs endeavoring to persevere. :cool:

Caballoflaco
06-21-2020, 03:35 PM
I would think that they likely are roaming AU, at least in small numbers.

For a great many years the "Official" version from both state and federal authorities was that there were no wolves in Idaho, yet I clearly remember seeing a large wolf in a meadow not far from the Frank Church Wilderness area when I was with my dad as a kid. Fish and Game later told us we were looking at a coyote:rolleyes:

For years I saw wolf tracks in the region, and other evidence, not to mention listening to them howl, but "NOPE, no wolves here" was the answer that was always stated.

For those that don't know, the difference between a wold howl and a coyote is unmistakable. Not to mention paw print size,coloring, etc.

Then when I was in my early 20s I saw a couple of them while elk hunting. Yep, No wolves here..

Then the U.S. Fish and Wildlife, along with state F&G "re-introduced" Canadian wolves (we never had Canadian wolves, our were a bit smaller variety) and they received obscene amounts of federal dollars to set up and run these programs, since they needed to "restore balance to nature"... Lots of "experts" aka urbanites who received wildlife biology degrees arrived in the area to educate us dumb western types about the difference between a wolf and a coyote, and a deer and an elk.

I have had many conversations with these people who are always from someplace else, and while they may be book-smart, it is best that they never leave a parking lot, or a very clearly marked trail, as a great many would find themselves lost 100 yards from their shiny federally funded pickups or smartphones. One thing I have noticed is that they absolutely will not venture off the highways in the winter months, as the conditions are just too harsh.

Anyways all that said,

I don't think it would be unthinkable that there are a few Tasmanian Tigers roaming around, feeding nocturnally, and avoiding human contact. They are probably better off having minimal contact with us.

We don’t have cougars here in central Alabama, but my cousin has a photo of one eating a deer on a game camera, and I used to see tracks occasionally by a small creek I fished in high school. Also saw a black bear there once when they aren’t supposed to be in the area.

Hopefully there are still a few Tazzy Tigers doing marsupial murder stuff in the darkness of night.

blues
06-21-2020, 03:41 PM
I say we send Joe in PNG on a quest to bring back evidence.

Suvorov
06-21-2020, 04:05 PM

Then we can start a captive breeding program for those too hip to go with a GSD or Malinios for their home security/companion needs.*

* At least until I find that pack of Allosaurs.

RevolverRob
06-21-2020, 04:14 PM
While I'd love for there to be some hidden valley someplace we've never found and there are allosaurs there ala Conan Doyle's Lost World - I think that one is a bit difficult. Given the number of people and the satellites, etc. It could be out there, but at some point someone would likely have seen a 1-2 ton animal wandering around eating things.

By contrast Australia is so sparsely populated outside of the cities that I could easily see there being thylacines out there, just like mountain lions and bears.

blues
06-21-2020, 04:23 PM
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-z99toubyD-A/VPEilO8vgjI/AAAAAAAAjwY/UH9Gcy8mRA8/s1600/so%2Bcal%2Bbigfoot.jpg

"I, for one, can't wait to see one for myself!"

Joe in PNG
06-21-2020, 04:28 PM

I'd love to, but I don't think Australia is in too much of a hurry to let me back in again. They made it pretty clear they wanted me gone a couple of weeks ago.