PDA

View Full Version : My truck AR seems like a good idea now

LittleLebowski
06-20-2020, 12:17 PM
Folks, what the hell? This sort of shit is not ok.

blues
06-20-2020, 12:23 PM
Walk down the street aggressively (and armed), draw fire and then want someone to come pull your ass out of the fire. Sounds about right.

Balisong
06-20-2020, 12:24 PM
Don't worry LL. The most important thing is they don't have cops there endangering people's lives.

Nephrology
06-20-2020, 12:32 PM
The woman who took a round to her thigh looks like she was carrying around a lot of medical equipment. The footage is grainy so it's hard to tell but it looks like she pulls out a TQ from the backpack and is deploying it when the video ends. Looks like she has professional background. I dunno what the hell she was doing there.

LittleLebowski
06-20-2020, 12:33 PM
The woman who took a round to her thigh looks like she was carrying around a lot of medical equipment. The footage is grainy so it's hard to tell but it looks like she pulls out a TQ from the backpack and is deploying it when the video ends. Looks like she has professional background. I dunno what the hell she was doing there.

At this point, I’m going to assume trained ANTIFA street medic. Not kidding.

Totem Polar
06-20-2020, 12:34 PM

This is my thinking as well^^^

Needs new hashtag #Atlantastan (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Atlantastan)

EPF
06-20-2020, 12:39 PM
So that is 2 separate gunfights with rifles In Atlanta last night.

In the above video a man retrieved a rifle from his his trunk when he approached an intersection blocked by armed men. Then his car came under fire after his weapon was seen. Seems like a bag gun rather than a trunk gun would have avoided this.

Between these 2 incidents and the drive by rifle shooting in the CHAZ place last night, rifles are the game right now.

wvincent
06-20-2020, 12:40 PM
Stupid Places, Stupid things, Stupid People.
Why are they out so late? Don't people work on Saturdays anymore? Yes, I'm typing this from my place of employment, I'm on break right now.

Just think, they could have an active LE agency out there maintaining the peace and safety, except their elected DA and Mayor pretty much cut them off at the knee's.
When you burn one of your officers at the stake for the purpose of distraction and mob appeasement, don't be shocked when nobody show up wanting to do that job.

The stakeholders in Atlanta are now responsible for their own safety, enjoy! And good luck!

Lawd, I love living in rural America.

Totem Polar
06-20-2020, 12:49 PM
Between these 2 incidents and the drive by rifle shooting in the CHAZ place last night, rifles are the game right now.

Pretty soon we’re gonna need a thread on “what bag for my truck FN FAL...”

EPF
06-20-2020, 12:57 PM

Navin Johnson
06-20-2020, 12:59 PM
Looks like a gun fight.....let's get closer.

Put something around her leg....I am busy filming.

Great people.

hiro
06-20-2020, 12:59 PM

go big or go home

Shoresy
06-20-2020, 01:00 PM

Backpack style golf back comes immediately to mind....

Suvorov
06-20-2020, 01:03 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.

I was having a hard time figuring out who these people were and what they were doing out on the streets.

Nephrology
06-20-2020, 01:05 PM
Exactly what I was thinking.

I was having a hard time figuring out who these people were and what they were doing out on the streets.

Same. I don't see what looks like a protest or anything at all. Relatively few people for that sort of thing. Really unclear what context was for that.

Caballoflaco
06-20-2020, 01:06 PM
Same. I don't see what looks like a protest or anything at all. Relatively few people for that sort of thing. Really unclear what context was for that.

Purge Lite.

EPF
06-20-2020, 01:08 PM

I read somewhere in the news that it was a planned protest originating at the now smoldering Wendy’s.

Suvorov
06-20-2020, 01:12 PM

Gangs/groups of urban youths armed with ars/aks conducting movement to contact on other groups similarly armed is NOT going to result in less gun control after all this is over. Once the Bloomberg and Gifford groups stop their attacks on the police and America in general - they will redirect their efforts to banning guns and use things like this as ammo.

blues
06-20-2020, 01:24 PM
Looks like a gun fight.....let's get closer.

Great people.

"It almost got me! It almost got me!"

There's the guy you want with you when the lead is flying. :rolleyes:

Balisong
06-20-2020, 01:30 PM
Gangs/groups of urban youths armed with ars/aks conducting movement to contact on other groups similarly armed is NOT going to result in less gun control after all this is over. Once the Bloomberg and Gifford groups stop their attacks on the police and America in general - they will redirect their efforts to banning guns and use things like this as ammo.

I can see it now: "Ban guns for the children, I mean protestors!"

LittleLebowski
06-20-2020, 02:08 PM
Take your time and read that post and the other ones on this incident from that guy on Twitter. He is doing his damnedest to cast the motorist as the bad guy and also to dox him. Pay attention to how they use social media, people.

In the above video a man retrieved a rifle from his his trunk when he approached an intersection blocked by armed men. Then his car came under fire after his weapon was seen. Seems like a bag gun rather than a trunk gun would have avoided this.

Not HighSpeed
06-20-2020, 02:08 PM
I was watching that particular stream last night. The filmer is "a MI native traveling the country to document all the different hotspots as an independent journalist." Later in the video, someone mentions that the girl was a "volunteer medic" for protesters at this Rayshard Brooks memorial at the Wendy's where it went down. I have little doubts it was Antifa. They have them supporting the rioters during events to keep them in the action as much possible and even running around with red crosses on their bags.

Of note, while exploring and "documenting" the are where they were shooting it out (which there were a couple of different vollies there and not just the one recorded above), he finds an unexpended hollow point .223 round on the ground near the gas station. Someone had an AR there, pistol, rifle, or otherwise. Couldn't tell if it was marred or anything from a failure to feed or something similar but it wasn't bent or anything.

Casual Friday
06-20-2020, 02:10 PM
Everyone should have a shoulder fired bag gun in a rifle caliber going forward. It's almost not even debatable anymore.

ccmdfd
06-20-2020, 02:18 PM

Great people.

Gotta love those millennials!

That kind of crap really grinds my gears.

Le Français
06-20-2020, 02:28 PM

You mean like the cops, national guard soldiers and airmen, firefighters, etc?

ccmdfd
06-20-2020, 02:31 PM

The ones who sit there and film while another person is in need of help.

Hieronymous
06-20-2020, 02:42 PM
Everyone should have a shoulder fired bag gun in a rifle caliber going forward. It's almost not even debatable anymore.

Just a month ago, the PDW/Rattler threads seemed perfect for home defense, but a bit unrealistic to think they filled a niche for any but law enforcement. A few more scenes like this and those threads are going to get very active.

Cookie Monster
06-20-2020, 02:47 PM
The ones who sit there and film while another person is in need of help.

Those are Gen Z. Boomer.

ccmdfd
06-20-2020, 02:53 PM
Those are Gen Z. Boomer.

Oh dear!
My mistake.

Casual Friday
06-20-2020, 02:54 PM
Just a month ago, the PDW/Rattler threads seemed perfect for home defense, but a bit unrealistic to think they filled a niche for any but law enforcement. A few more scenes like this and those threads are going to get very active.

I'm not LE and I've been utilizing a folding AR since late 2017. As it turns out, it's one of the best investments I've made in terms of gun accessories. There were plenty who found no value in it when I started this thread.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?28713-AR15-pistol-with-arm-brace-for-dealing-with-an-active-shooter-inside-a-church

blues
06-20-2020, 03:07 PM

That kind of crap really grinds my gears.

Which is why it's time to knock off this particular brand of bullshit outside of the meme or joke threads. As one of the older fucks on this forum, it is a rare day when I resort to such.

Wingate's Hairbrush
06-20-2020, 03:15 PM
Purge Lite.Same great waste, less feeling...

Grey
06-20-2020, 03:17 PM
Rattler Nut Hugger threads seems WAY less LARPy now!

Wingate's Hairbrush
06-20-2020, 03:25 PM
The ones who sit there and film while another person is in need of help.Better that than salty and competent...

Beat Trash
06-20-2020, 03:32 PM

Just getting the time to catch up on my internet fix for the day.

The dude in this video set himself up to become the focus of attention. I wonder if he did it as a means of posturing. If so, that's a really bad idea at the scene of civil unrest. Put that thing up front to begin with, or at least in the rear seat in such a way that you can reach back and grab it.

A couple of months ago when everyone on this site was talking about PDW's and bag guns, I broke down and bought a LAW folder and installed it on a DDV7 pistol. Yes, it's a 10.3" 5.56mm, so I can't play with the cool kids around here who have their Rattler's in 300 blk. But right about now, I'm glad I put that LAW folder on the 10.3" pistol that I already owned. That was already vetted. That I already have ammo for.

Caballoflaco
06-20-2020, 03:34 PM
Same great waste, less killing

rob_s
06-20-2020, 03:34 PM
“Call the ambulance”?

Oh, the irony.

Kyle Reese
06-20-2020, 03:37 PM

Who will enforce these new gun laws if the police are disbanded, defunded and generally demoralized?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not HighSpeed
06-20-2020, 03:37 PM
Just getting the time to catch up on my internet fix for the day.

The dude in this video set himself up to become the focus of attention. I wonder if he did it as a means of posturing. If so, that's a really bad idea at the scene of civil unrest. Put that thing up front to begin with, or at least in the rear seat in such a way that you can reach back and grab it.

A couple of months ago when everyone on this site was talking about PDW's and bag guns, I broke down and bought a LAW folder and installed it on a DDV7 pistol. Yes, it's a 10.3" 5.56mm, so I can't play with the cool kids around here who have their Rattler's in 300 blk. But right about now, I'm glad I put that LAW folder on the 10.3" pistol that I already owned. That was already vetted. That I already have ammo for.

That is what I did with my 11.5” BCM pistol. I did get a few lowers to build and am planning on buying a 300blk upper for a more compact package for the intended purpose. All thanks to the PDW thread and recent events.

FNFAN
06-20-2020, 03:58 PM
Who will enforce these new gun laws if the police are disbanded, defunded and generally demoralized?

https://youtu.be/KocnwEo78bg

NEPAKevin
06-20-2020, 04:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLhWzMOccTg

blues
06-20-2020, 04:23 PM
https://youtu.be/KocnwEo78bg

It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood...

SCCY Marshal
06-20-2020, 04:37 PM

Much more hygienic than the MagnaVolt.

https://youtu.be/bMtqRir7dco

Suvorov
06-20-2020, 08:10 PM

I will bet that the CA DOJ gun enforcement branch will be the last to go. I really don’t want to cast a shadow over the very difficult job the police are doing nor be seen as sympathetic to the anarchist destroying our cities right now - but the very simple reality is that despite the situation in the country, and because I don’t try to go stupid places, I still fear being legally jacked by the police for non compliance with my state’s Byzantine gun laws than I do being out gunned at a Wendy’s drive through.

Yes - I know I need to move.

Suvorov
06-20-2020, 08:30 PM

So I’m thinking I should install this after getting sliders for my Overlander rig? 😀

MGW
06-20-2020, 09:11 PM

It was all fun and games until he heard that crack.

ralph
06-21-2020, 08:35 AM

Exactly, after watching that video of the Atlanta gunfight, It’s going to be awfully difficult to convince people to turn in their AR’s/AK’s.. After all, anyone with an IQ above room temperature, knows the thugs in the video aren’t going to turn theirs in...Welcome to the third world, Atlanta...You got what you wanted, no cops to interfere with your lawlessness, now you can operate openly..

ralph
06-21-2020, 08:37 AM
It was all fun and games until he heard that crack.

That’s what you call a reality check...

NEPAKevin
06-22-2020, 03:40 PM
So I’m thinking I should install this after getting sliders for my Overlander rig? 😀

Or have both installed at the same time and save some labor.

JRB
06-22-2020, 05:17 PM
That’s what you call a reality check...

There is no other sound on the planet like that, and it immediately separates those that talk from those that do.

blues
06-22-2020, 05:37 PM
There is no other sound on the planet like that, and it immediately separates those that talk from those that do.

I remember a conversation I was having with a DEA agent from the Florida Joint Task Group I was taking a door with when we heard a report.

It's kind of comical in retrospect since it was a business we knew had a bunch of coke secreted in cans of crab meat on Calle Ocho in Miami. (We had done a controlled delivery there earlier.)

The business had mirror-like film on the windows so we couldn't see through. So, we had that going for us...which wasn't particularly nice.

Anyway, we hear the report as we're running for the door, and he asks me if that was a car backfire, and I say no, somebody's shooting at us but I don't see any broken glass. Neither of us thought to stop since we were in no man's land with nothing to take cover behind. So in we went. It was like a comedy, looking back on it. We got the perps and the dope.

Not exactly storming the beach at Omaha...but still a different kind of feeling from the everyday.

(Turned out that the bad guys hadn't shot at us...one of the guys on the perimeter shot himself getting out of his vehicle. Naturally, he later made supervisor.)

RevolverRob
06-22-2020, 06:34 PM
(Turned out that the bad guys hadn't shot at us...one of the guys on the perimeter shot himself getting out of his vehicle. Naturally, he later made supervisor.)

Can we hold out any hope that said individual later became a firearms instructor and throughout that instruction lineage came the new line of Antifa Firearms instructors?

No? Damn.

We’re living in a fucking bizarro world and it’s only getting weirder by the day.

HCM
06-23-2020, 01:05 AM
Can we hold out any hope that said individual later became a firearms instructor and throughout that instruction lineage came the new line of Antifa Firearms instructors?

No? Damn.

We’re living in a fucking bizarro world and it’s only getting weirder by the day.

Did someone say Antifa Firearms Instructor ? Here you go:

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/01/antifa-member-killed-by-police-after-opening-fire-on-officers-video/#axzz6QALxr1aJ

Hambo
06-23-2020, 05:28 AM

Anybody who thinks they aren't confronting an army is fucked in the head. Medics, intel, commo, assaulters, supply; they've got it all. Some of it is low tech some of the time, but they are organized and dangerous.

Not everybody can be Audie Murphy. ;)

Rex G
06-24-2020, 10:28 PM
I found a fresh batch of .223 62-grain Remington Bonded PSP at the nearest Cabela’s today. The ‘rona isolation, and shortage/rationing of 300 AAC/BLK, have kept me from vetting my DDM4 V7P LAW-folding AR pistol*, so my BCM Lightweight Middy remains my go-to AR. I was realizing how old my anti-personnel/pest ammo had become, so checked the Pearland Bass Pro, where I only found 40-grain varmont ammo in .223/5.56, so I drove farther south, to the League City Cabela’s, and found a better selection, and plenty of the Remington 62-grain Bonded PSP. Too bad I only had a low-limit card with me, or I would have bought more than 200 rounds I did buy.

Fortunately, the Houston metro area has been relatively peaceful, and is 800 miles from ATL, and Minneapolis, Louisville, D.C., etc., are farther away, but yeah, I pack a rifle more, these days.

*Actually, the LAW folder adds so much length, my DDM4 V7P, with 10.3” barrel, is not much shorter than my BCM Lightweight Middy 16”, with its stock fully collapsed.

1slow
06-24-2020, 11:11 PM

27"-28" Sneaky Bag. For 50-63 type short Para.

LittleLebowski
06-24-2020, 11:15 PM

I’m just saying, a FAL really can solve a lot of problems.

Totem Polar
06-24-2020, 11:45 PM
https://imageproxy.ifunny.co/resize:320x,crop:x800,quality:90x75/images/3224efeca48270ab370da0482048caded57aa9721673868128 0b2b69b9f98dcb_3.jpg

Hambo
06-25-2020, 06:37 AM

:)

Rex G
06-25-2020, 07:51 AM
I very nearly took a bag of several disused pistols to a local dealer, to trade for a DSA FAL, in the folding Congo Para configuration, at an LGS, a month or two ago. They had two new and one well-preserved, pre-owned DSA FAL rifles, total, in three configurations. One thing that discouraged my adding the FAL system was a shortage of good magazines. Well, anyway, someone came in and bought-up the FALs.

I’ll just have to add some more .308 magazines for my Browning BLRs. ;)

Or, maybe it is finally time to get another Garand. :) I had a Korean re-import, years ago, but let it get away. A NM Garand has been on my bucket list, for a while. 30-06, yeah.

From part of a poem, referenced by Lindy Cooper, daughter of Col. Jeff Cooper; may well have been written by her:

“But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."

Dave Williams
06-25-2020, 10:02 AM
From part of a poem, referenced by Lindy Cooper, daughter of Col. Jeff Cooper; may well have been written by her:

“But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."

My favorite:

"Do you know why people don't panic buy 30-06 ammo?

People with 30-06s don't panic. "

NEPAKevin
06-26-2020, 12:37 PM
One thing that discouraged my adding the FAL system was a shortage of good magazines.

FWIW, PSA has been advertising surplus Israeli metric pattern FAL mags (https://palmettostatearmory.com/surplus-fn-fal-7-62x51mm-20-round-magazine.html). For S&Gs I ordered a few to try out.

Casual Friday
06-26-2020, 12:57 PM
For anyone on the hunt for a Law folder, Optics Planet had them in stock as of early this morning for $239.99+tax with free shipping. Coupon code SPRING15 will get you another $15 off. I picked up another one at that price. https://www.opticsplanet.com/law-tactical-ar-folding-stock-adapter-gen-3-m.html

OlongJohnson posted it in the Law folder thread as well.

jtcarm
06-26-2020, 03:36 PM

Questions:
What’s a bag vs trunk gun?
What WAS he talking about?

Observations:
Stay the hell away from places like that.
When you see an intersection blocked by armed people, KEEP DRIVING!

GyroF-16
06-26-2020, 03:46 PM
For anyone on the hunt for a Law folder, Optics Planet had them in stock as of early this morning for $239.99+tax with free shipping. Coupon code SPRING15 will get you another $15 off. I picked up another one at that price. https://www.opticsplanet.com/law-tactical-ar-folding-stock-adapter-gen-3-m.html

OlongJohnson posted it in the Law folder thread as well.

Thanks very much for posting this update, and the discount code, too!
I’ve got one on the way now.

EPF
06-26-2020, 03:55 PM
Questions:
What WAS he talking about?

Observations:
Stay the hell away from places like that.
When you see an intersection blocked by armed people, KEEP DRIVING!

A bag gun refers to a PDW sized gun (up to small folding AR) that can be kept in the drivers compartment and stay concealed in a mobile bag. Here is one example. The PDW thread is fun as well.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?42487-Official-SIG-Rattler-owner-fan-boy-nut-hugger-thread

I’m not sure who you mean talking?

I agree keep driving if you can. Crazy days.

Rex G
06-26-2020, 06:05 PM
Questions:

The “bag gun” is an old concept, actually. Generally, it is larger than a normal concealed-carry handgun, and is carried inside a bag/case/pack/attache’/Safepacker/etc.

In some jurisdictions, a weapon carried inside a case that is designed to hold a weapon can qualify as legal “open carry,” even if the weapon, itself, is not visible.

In quite a few jurisdictions, handguns can be transported while loaded, where a long gun must be transported unloaded. In such places, a folding-braced, short-barreled AR15-ish firearm is legally a pistol. Such firearms are difficult to wear, concealed, so, therefore, these are popular bag guns.

Until then-Governor George W. Bush signed Texas’ handgun carry license bill, bags were popular in Texas, for toting compact long guns, as handgun carry was illegal, from 1877, until the handgun carry licensing system was in place, in the Nineteen-Nineties. 16” rifles and 18” shotguns were legal to tote, loaded or unloaded, concealed or not, and, still are. My bag gun was an Uzi Carbine. The Poors mostly carried Pistol-grip-only shotguns.

The HOT P-F Bag Gun trend is a SIG Rattler, Canebrake Edition, carried in a bag, with a soft armor panel, spare mags, and a war hammer.

Trunk guns are carried by trunk monkeys, presumably.

Beat Trash
06-26-2020, 07:44 PM
I waited too long to buy a Sig Rattler. At the time you guys were discussing the concept for a PDW, I viewed it as more of a range toy than a “need” in my personal life. Something I’d probably do at some point. But not something I felt I needed to spend money on right away.

Then the world went nuts...

I have a Daniel Defense V7P 10.3” 5.56mm that has an SBA3 brace and a Law Folder on it. Bought it a couple of years ago. Told myself it would be a nice gun for road trips/vacation. But honestly I bought it because it was fun to shoot. Folded with a 20 rd PMAG inserted, it fits inside of a 1800cc Ketley pack I’ve used for a few years. Doesn’t look like I’m transporting a gun. But easy to deploy when sitting next to me in the car with the zippers undone a bit.

While I’d prefer one of those Rattlers loaded with suppers, right now we have to make due with what we have on hand.

When I’m at work, a 16” DDV7 is mounted in the Explorer within arms reach. Now, and for the foreseeable future, whenever I’m going somewhere on my off time, the Ketley pack with the V7P is tagging along.

I guess the one positive thing about my procrastinating too long to get a 300 Blk PDW is that I’m not trying to stock up on a new caliber (300blk) right now. I’d hate to have to stock up on any caliber right now.

I used to question my sanity whenever I’d go after a new gun/platform, I wanted to get the whole package right then and be done. Gun, ammunition, enough extra magazines, accessories, ect. Just in case I ever need to press the gun/platform into service. I used to think I was nuts. Not any more. I will NEVER question myself about that again...

I’ve got a fair amount of my agency’s duty rounds on hand (Winchester 64 gr bonded RA556B). Those loaded magazines will work in either the 16” or 10.3” guns. While the 300 blk Suppers in a Rattler Might have a bit more terminal effectiveness over my 10.3” 5.56, I sure as hell wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of that 10.3” gun.

So as to the OP’s title for this topic, Yes the truck gun definitely seems like a good idea now.

MistWolf
06-26-2020, 08:52 PM
A truck gun (or, in my case, Jeep Gun) has always been a good idea. I don't mean one that's always left in the vehicle, but one to take with you wherever you go. There are limitations. I couldn't take any kind of firearm on a military base where I was working as a contractor.

Never needed it for self defense (came close two or three times) but it comes in handy when visiting a friend or relative and someone says "Hey! Let's go shooting!"

jtcarm
06-26-2020, 10:16 PM
A bag gun refers to a PDW sized gun (up to small folding AR) that can be kept in the drivers compartment and stay concealed in a mobile bag. Here is one example. The PDW thread is fun as well.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?42487-Official-SIG-Rattler-owner-fan-boy-nut-hugger-thread

I’m not sure who you mean talking?

I agree keep driving if you can. Crazy days.

Rhetorical question: The guy in the vid keeps saying “That’s what I’m talkin bout.”

I’ve lived in Texas my whole 60 years. Used to be an FFL and recall when CHL came to our state.

I had friends asking what they should get, 1911, HP, 3rd Gen Smith, Beretta 92? I’d say where you gonna conceal it? In my car/truck. I’d say if it’s gonna stay there, get a damn shotgun, it’s legal without licensing, and way deadlier than any handgun.

Crazy Dane
06-26-2020, 11:13 PM
If i was to add a long gun to the list of what gets taken to work and back. How do you feel about this for security purposes? https://www.tuffyproducts.com/product/589/underseat-lockbox-ram-trucks-2019-2020

I can hide and secure a hand gun or 2 in my locker but I don't have room for a long gun. Getting found out by anyone other than my immediate crew would be career ending. It would only have to be secured for my shift which is 24 hours and the probability of being broken into is low while at work.

Sanch
06-26-2020, 11:49 PM
Apologies if it’s been discussed in one of the 200+pages of various iterations of truck gun BLM discussions recently, But how about a 12 gauge shotgun either a short barrel shotgun or a pistol grip shockwave? It seems like it might be better to put down a few people immediately near you. I’m not sure how bad the sound would be shooting it from within a car though.

OlongJohnson
06-26-2020, 11:59 PM
I don't have any specific knowledge of that Tuffy box, but the locks on it are probably crappy. Lots of crappy boxes can be made at least decent by replacing the locks with Abloy cam locks, which are reasonably difficult to pick.

https://www.abloy.com/en-US/products1/catalogue/mechanical-industrial-locks-/cam-locks/

May want to pay some attention to the beefiness of the tabs that actually hook and do the holding.

Rex G
06-27-2020, 07:58 AM
If i was to add a long gun to the list of what gets taken to work and back. How do you feel about this for security purposes? https://www.tuffyproducts.com/product/589/underseat-lockbox-ram-trucks-2019-2020

I can hide and secure a hand gun or 2 in my locker but I don't have room for a long gun. Getting found out by anyone other than my immediate crew would be career ending. It would only have to be secured for my shift which is 24 hours and the probability of being broken into is low while at work.

Tuffy Security Products are very high-quality. Anything can be defeated with with today’s portable grinding tools, but not many vehicle-burglars carry such tools, as they want to work fast, and get away quickly. Those willing to make noise will break glass, but usually want to grab-and-go. You are fortunate, in finding one made for your truck. My truck is a rare two-door Tundra, few of which were made in the 2014-2019 model series, so Tuffy never R&D’ed a made-to-fit lockbox. I am adapting a Tuffy box made to bolt inside a Jeep Wrangler tail-gate, which will hold a carbine-length AR15.

My wife’s 2004 Wrangler how has the huge Tuffy bolt-in trunk that used to be in my 1998 Wrangler.

JRB
06-27-2020, 11:05 AM
Apologies if it’s been discussed in one of the 200+pages of various iterations of truck gun BLM discussions recently, But how about a 12 gauge shotgun either a short barrel shotgun or a pistol grip shockwave? It seems like it might be better to put down a few people immediately near you. I’m not sure how bad the sound would be shooting it from within a car though.

A 14in shockwave with 2.75in shells is less noisy than a 10-11in 5.56 AR.

Personally I'd still rather have the AR especially in a 'violent mob around vehicle' scenario. 20 or 30 rounds semi-auto > 5rnds pump action.

Paul D
06-28-2020, 02:15 AM
A 14in shockwave with 2.75in shells is less noisy than a 10-11in 5.56 AR.

Personally I'd still rather have the AR especially in a 'violent mob around vehicle' scenario. 20 or 30 rounds semi-auto > 5rnds pump action.

I personally would want my gun to be as noisy and unambiguous as hell. For example, lets say a Colt M16A1 lower topped off with a LWRC IC 10.5 upper with an AAC brakeout, 60 rd Magpul drum with an option of a suppressor. That shit is loud and scary AF on full auto. If I was a rioter, err protestor, I would run the opposite direction no matter what weapon I had in my hand.

Hambo
06-28-2020, 05:28 AM
If I was a rioter, err protestor, I would run the opposite direction no matter what weapon I had in my hand.

Don't presume they're going to run. I'm sure by now everyone here has seen the various videos of armed protestors/security/gang members getting into firefights.

Casual Friday
06-28-2020, 07:42 AM

Joe in PNG
06-28-2020, 07:45 AM
You know you can't wield a FAL unless you are wearing short shorts, right?

alohadoug
06-28-2020, 09:06 AM

And for those of us in Mass, the AR is verboten but the FAL is ok...

Casual Friday
06-28-2020, 09:16 AM

Well if MA wants to play that game...This is the 11", they also have a 8.25" barrel model.

Borderland
06-28-2020, 09:17 AM

That's pretty unbelievable having just handled a FAL at the range awhile back and watched the owner shoot it.

Jeezus, that's some serious whoop ass in a semi-auto right there.

Obviously there is some prejudice.

Hambo
06-28-2020, 09:33 AM

See, it is the 'right arm of the free world'.

nalesq
06-28-2020, 09:46 AM
Well if MA wants to play that game...This is the 11", they also have a 8.25" barrel model.

I recall a video done by either InRange or Forgotten Weapons where they compared a short barreled FAL with a short barreled AK, and discovered that below a certain barrel length, the extra oomph behind 7.62x51 was wasted, and you were better off with the similarly performing but less blasty 7.62x39mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

alohadoug
06-28-2020, 09:48 AM
That's pretty unbelievable having just handled a FAL at the range awhile back and watched the owner shoot it.

Jeezus, that's some serious whoop ass in a semi-auto right there.

Obviously there is some prejudice.

It's all politics. Banned the sale/transfer of AR pattern rifles. AK pattern is still questionable.

But M1, M14, Ruger Mini, Tavor, are still transferrable.

JodyH
06-28-2020, 09:57 AM
In the past few years (probably starting around November 2015) I've gone from being content out and about:
With just my CCW.
To my CCW plus throwing an additional pistol and a couple mags into my daypack.
To my CCW, daypack w/pistol and mags and an AR in the truck.
To my CCW, larger daypack w/pistol, mags and IIIA vest, AR in the truck.
To my CCW, larger daypack w/pistol, mags and IIIA vest, AR in the truck and occasionally a plate carrier next to the AR.
The step up to IIIA and now plates has been in the last 3 months.
We are starting to live in interesting times and shits going exponentially crazy even in the middle of nowhere conservative areas I live and travel through.

Borderland
06-28-2020, 10:33 AM
In the past few years (probably starting around November 2015) I've gone from being content out and about:
With just my CCW.
To my CCW, larger daypack w/pistol, mags and IIIA vest, AR in the truck and occasionally a plate carrier next to the AR.
We are starting to live in interesting times and shits going exponentially crazy even in the middle of nowhere conservative areas I live and travel through.

I prefer bolt rifles for the inherent precision of the action but a carbine has always been preferred for some things. Pistol cartridge carbines are becoming very popular. Might have to look into that.

breakingtime91
06-28-2020, 10:44 AM
With just my CCW.

Same.. plate carrier and an AR goes into the truck if its more then a grocery store trip.

Grey
06-28-2020, 11:01 AM
How does 300 BO do in a magpul d60? Asking for a friend...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

paperman
06-28-2020, 11:16 AM
Part of the reason I added a leatherback gear 3a backpack/vest to the edc

LittleLebowski
06-28-2020, 11:20 AM

And?

MistWolf
06-28-2020, 11:26 AM

Only if you slather the FAL in baby poop with a sock

Doug
06-28-2020, 11:50 AM
With just my CCW.

just got a IIIA soft panel vest. Never thought I would but just seemed like good insurance like a fire extinguisher. I can take the panel out and put in my backpack.

shane45
06-28-2020, 11:51 AM
The FAL, which I love and have had a few DSA'S, falls apart for me in the short pistol varient. 308 ballistics in a short barrel seem to be inferior to 300blk unless I missed something.

blues
06-28-2020, 11:55 AM
Damn, I should've kept my gear when I submitted my papers to Uncle Sam.

JodyH
06-28-2020, 11:55 AM
just got a IIIA soft panel vest. Never thought I would but just seemed like good insurance like a fire extinguisher. I can take the panel out and put in my backpack.
I just put the entire vest in the laptop sleeve.
That way I have "backback" armor while wearing the backpack, plus I have a vest by pulling it out and donning it.

EPF
06-28-2020, 12:05 PM
That way I have "backback" armor while wearing the backpack, plus I have a vest by pulling it out and donning it.

That sounds like a cool idea, but I’m having a hard time picturing it. Do you fold the vest?

JodyH
06-28-2020, 12:08 PM
My current back seat daypack:
Savotta Jääkäri small pack from Finland.
It has a few general use items (knives, multi-tool, 550 cord, fire stuff, convenience stuff, TP, emergency bivy sack), a pretty heavy first-aid/blow out kit, Glock 17 w/19 round mag, 33 round mag.
LBT First Responder carrier with IIIA soft armor.

Totem Polar
06-28-2020, 12:12 PM
Damn, I should've kept my gear when I submitted my papers to Uncle Sam.

For sure—you could have used the 80s shorts with a FAL.

JodyH
06-28-2020, 12:13 PM
That sounds like a cool idea, but I’m having a hard time picturing it. Do you fold the vest?

My work backpack is for a 17" gaming laptop, so the sleeve area is plenty large enough for a concealable soft vest and my ultralight 15" laptop as well.
My truck day pack is just a sack style so I slide my larger carrier inside first then stuff other stuff down in front of it.

JRB
06-28-2020, 12:27 PM
I recall a video done by either InRange or Forgotten Weapons where they compared a short barreled FAL with a short barreled AK, and discovered that below a certain barrel length, the extra oomph behind 7.62x51 was wasted, and you were better off with the similarly performing but less blasty 7.62x39mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bang on, I saw the same video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2dtJsXLIOI

Cliffs notes is x51 vs x39 w/16in barrels, the 7.62x51 was clearly and overwhelmingly superior. Going to 8.5in with both calibers resulted in damn near equal energy in ft-lbs. the 7.62x51 losing almost 800fps (with lots of recoil and muzzle blast) and the x39 lost around 400fps.

I don't think I'd go shorter than 12in or so with a 308/7.62x51.
A relevant by-the-inch velocity vs barrel length writeup I enjoyed is here : https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/308-winchester-7-62x51mm-nato-short-barrel-length-and-velocity-a-six-inch-308-bolt-gun/

So we all should get the 11-inch shorty FAL.

Casual Friday
06-28-2020, 12:43 PM
So we all should get the 11-inch shorty FAL.

This is the only way to save America.

JodyH
06-28-2020, 12:53 PM
Nobody has ever slotted a floppy with a PDW.

Oldherkpilot
06-28-2020, 01:07 PM

"Floppy." Now there's a term I've not heard since my days with the RAF.

Totem Polar
06-28-2020, 02:00 PM

That’s the fucking facts of the matter, right there.

;)

JRB
06-28-2020, 02:14 PM

Unless we're counting Colt 733's and MP5's as PDW's - both of which were well represented in Mogadishu.

Word is that MSG Gary Gordon (RIP) slotted quite a few floppies with a 733 that day.

MistWolf
06-28-2020, 02:20 PM

Designed and combat tested by Geck45. An integral part of a multilayered security system by Mall of America Tactical.

Invest in a MoAT System for the ultimate in security.

JodyH
06-28-2020, 02:31 PM
Designed and combat tested by Geck45. An integral part of a multilayered security system by Mall of America Tactical.

Invest in a MoAT System for the ultimate in security.

needs moar duct tape and a wheelbarrow

MistWolf
06-28-2020, 02:35 PM
Needs moar tabi boots and a high performance golf cart

... fixed it for ya

LittleLebowski
06-28-2020, 03:56 PM

2020 ain’t over yet.

mmc45414
06-29-2020, 06:25 AM
I have this simpler one in my Ford:
https://www.tuffyproducts.com/product/425/underseat-lockbox-ford-f-150-x-cab-2009-2014
I do not think they had the longer ones when I bought mine. With mine it is secured by the hold downs for the factory jack. If you are willing to stash the jack elsewhere there is a lotta room in it (specs say 31"). My problem is there are many times when I want to use it there is a dog on top of it, but that is not a Tuffy problem...

Tuffy Security Products are very high-quality.
My truck is a rare two-door Tundra, few of which were made in the 2014-2019 model series, so Tuffy never R&D’ed a made-to-fit lockbox. I am adapting a Tuffy box made to bolt inside a Jeep Wrangler tail-gate, which will hold a carbine-length AR15.
I had one of these in my 1991 Suburban (last of the square body) between the Corbeau seats, and it was really nice to have that much lockable space:
https://www.tuffyproducts.com/product/88/center-console-series-ii-12-12-wide
The current truck is a 2014 F-150 with the middle section of "bench" seat and I plan to pull out that seat that has been used twice in six years and get another one.

Rex G
06-29-2020, 06:31 AM
https://www.tuffyproducts.com/product/425/underseat-lockbox-ford-f-150-x-cab-2009-2014
I do not think they had the longer ones when I bought mine. With mine it is secured by the hold downs for the factory jack. If you are willing to stash the jack elsewhere there is a lotta room in it (specs say 31"). My problem is there is many times when I want to use it there is a dog on top of it, but that is not a Tuffy problem...

Question, please: Does this one have a flat bottom, and, is it a complete, six-sided box, on its own? If so, I could drill my own mounting holes, to make it fit a Tundra. Thanks!

mmc45414
06-29-2020, 07:07 AM
Question, please: Does this one have a flat bottom, and, is it a complete, six-sided box, on its own? If so, I could drill my own mounting holes, to make it fit a Tundra. Thanks!
Yup, it sure is, well, pretty much... The install involves unbolting the jack and then what the jack bolts down to holds the box to the floor, so there is a segment of the bottom of the box that is not complete, but I think it would do what you want to do. Here are the instructions that sorta show it:
https://www.tuffyproducts.com/images/assy_inst/285INST.pdf
I went out and took a picture showing some detail. If you want some other pictures showing something specific, or a measurement of something not listed on the www, I can do that (later).

Rex G
06-29-2020, 07:39 AM
Yup, it sure is, well, pretty much... The install involves unbolting the jack and then what the jack bolts down to holds the box to the floor, so there is a segment of the bottom of the box that is not complete, but I think it would do what you want to do. Here are the instructions that sorta show it:
https://www.tuffyproducts.com/images/assy_inst/285INST.pdf
I went out and took a picture showing some detail. If you want some other pictures showing something specific, or a measurement of something not listed on the www, I can do that (later).

Perfect! Thanks!

The installation instructions, in the link, showed me what I need to know. Again, thanks!

Cookie Monster
06-29-2020, 08:06 AM

I got a custom Highway Products made for under the backseat for my 2007 Tundra. I cut out the seat brackets and used the bolts to bolt the box down. The box supports the seat now.

Rex G
06-29-2020, 08:15 AM
I got a custom Highway Products made for under the backseat for my 2007 Tundra. I cut out the seat brackets and used the bolts to bolt the box down. The box supports the seat now.

Thanks. My Tundra a newer generation, 2014, of which VERY few were made in the two-door configuration, with no rear seats of any kind, so I have to adapt something intended for other vehicles, such as a Tuffy box made to bolt onto a current Wranger’s tailgate, which I will be bolting to the rear interior cab wall, when I can sort-out exactly where I want it to be.

Crazy Dane
06-29-2020, 09:08 AM
I do not think they had the longer ones when I bought mine. With mine it is secured by the hold downs for the factory jack. If you are willing to stash the jack elsewhere there is a lotta room in it (specs say 31"). My problem is there are many times when I want to use it there is a dog on top of it, but that is not a Tuffy problem...

I had one of these in my 1991 Suburban (last of the square body) between the Corbeau seats, and it was really nice to have that much lockable space:
https://www.tuffyproducts.com/product/88/center-console-series-ii-12-12-wide
The current truck is a 2014 F-150 with the middle section of "bench" seat and I plan to pull out that seat that has been used twice in six years and get another one.

The one I listed fits my Ram Rebel but if I could adapt the one listed for the Ford Would save me some coin, more than half. I had a console box 2 trucks ago, it was a F150 and I didn't use it very much, CCW was on me or secured indoors. Tuffys one for the Ram looks to be in a more usable location instead of the flip down arm rest of the Ford. I may revisit this option.

Rex G
07-02-2020, 11:34 AM
Two complete pairs of XS Sights’ CSAT sights arrived yesterday, from Optics Planet. (Yes, I know what folks say about O.P., but they were the only place I could find them in stock, and, they shipped quickly.)

The CSAT rear sight has a notch over the small aperture, intended for 7-yard POI. I already had one CSAT rear, which I had not gotten around to using, because my aging eyes had been hating the smaller aperture on all AR15 rear sights, until I realized that this notch was WORKING for me.

I had recently thought about ordering a quite expensive AR15 rear-notch sight from D&L Sports, and that awakened my memory that I already had this CSAT rear sight, so I pulled it out of its storage place.

Yes, truck guns, at least front-seat guns, need irons, much of the year, in these parts, because stepping from an air-conditioned vehicle, into the Gulf Coast heat/humidity, will result in instant condensation on any lens, including my eyeglasses. (A bagged gun can be protected, to some degree, from the cold air, by using a well-padded bag, that is kept away from the AC vents.)