PDA

View Full Version : Nighthawk released a drop-in trigger system for 1911s

LittleLebowski
06-19-2020, 11:16 AM
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/trigger-parts/triggers/1911-drop-in-trigger-unit-prod134756.aspx

When looking to upgrade the performance of a 1911 pistol, a common improvement sought by shooters is a high-quality trigger job, with a crisp, clean break. Until now, a high-quality trigger job has never been in the realm of a “drop-in” upgrade. Nighthawk Custom has changed that with the introduction of their Drop-In Trigger System (DTS) for 1911 pistols. An all-in-one unit, the DTS replaces your existing hammer, hammer strut, sear, disconnector, and sear spring. Your existing sear pin and hammer pin will be retained for use with the DTS, but no other parts are necessary for installation. With a steel housing securing the unit, the DTS features all Fully Machined™, stainless steel internal components. The traditional three-pronged sear spring is no longer necessary as the springs for the disconnector and sear are built into the unit. A single-leg grip safety spring is included with the DTS to replace the existing sear spring. Never has a high-quality trigger job been this simple for 1911 shooters. The Drop-In Trigger System is designed for use in most 1911 models, and installation is simple enough that minimal gunsmithing skills are necessary. With a proper safety check and minor gunsmithing skills, our Drop-In Trigger System can give your current 1911 a high-quality trigger job in the time it takes for a routine cleaning of your pistol.

Guinnessman
06-19-2020, 11:30 AM
#Boomer (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Boomer) :p

rd62
06-19-2020, 12:35 PM
I saw that. Pretty cool and great extrapolation of the drop in rifle trigger module.

Robinson
06-19-2020, 12:56 PM
But I like messing with the sear spring. :)

It's probably well made and all, but anyone who installs one of these should double check their thumb safety function.

Trooper224
06-19-2020, 12:59 PM
Harrison offers great drop in fire control parts that don't alter the design. Interesting concept, but I question the need.

willie
06-19-2020, 01:34 PM
Nighthawk Custom and Bill Wilson's business are located in the same Arkansas town of 5600 people. One wonders if there is a connection. The narrative did not specify a trigger pull weight interval. The coil sear spring will not permit tweaking as does the traditional leaf spring. To prevent hammer follow through when slide goes forward, the coil sear spring would have to be strong if this unit is to work when installed in various 1911's. Also for this unit to work safely I surmise that hammer sear engagement will be off limits to tweakers. Various folks big and small in the 1911 world have sold hammer and sear units that were fitted or mated. Usually they sold disconnectors and sear the 3 prong springs compatible with the hammer/sear unit. A good 1911 tech could install and adjust these in short time. The newly developed Nighthawk unit may offer different spring weight levels, but such was not stated. Much variation exists in 1911 frames, slides, and components. Whereas military 1911's did have specs, I doubt if they now apply to anything made in the last 60 years. If true, this fact is a main reason that we don't see many 1911 parts that drop in.

JonInWA
06-19-2020, 01:47 PM
I'm curious also as to the origin of these kits. Does Nighthawk themselves actually manufacture them, or are they merely assemblers/marketers of someone else's components/kit, and just re-labeling them? While any of these routes are't bad per se, I'd like to know a tad bit more.

Best, Jon

CCT125US
06-19-2020, 03:34 PM
My understanding is that NHC consists of former WC employees.

Arbninftry
06-19-2020, 03:51 PM
Nighthawk Custom and Bill Wilson's business are located in the same Arkansas town of 5600 people. One wonders if there is a connection.

A group of gunsmiths parted ways and started Nighthawk. They wanted a process of one gun one gunsmith. Wilson has a smith do certain things to each firearm. They specialize in items like on an assembly line. Not saying either is better they are both great shops, just different ways of doing the same thing. I own samples from both shops. Great guns either way.

OlongJohnson
06-19-2020, 03:53 PM
A thousand years ago, we already discussed this a little bit.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?40184-Shot-Show-2020/page8&p=983809#post983809

farscott
06-19-2020, 04:14 PM
The issue with drop-in components that have been tried before was that frames do not always have the sear and hammer pin holes in the same locations, are drilled not perpendicular, or suffer some other dimensional malady. I wonder how these parts solve that issue.

JonInWA
06-19-2020, 04:43 PM
The issue with drop-in components that have been tried before was that frames do not always have the sear and hammer pin holes in the same locations, are drilled not perpendicular, or suffer some other dimensional malady. I wonder how these parts solve that issue.

I'm a-thinkin' that would be the "minimal gunsmithing skills required" part cited on the Brownells description. I'll let someone else leap into the beta-testing role here. Empirical experience tells me that all 1911 frames aren't necessarily blueprinted and exact to Colt's specifications, and aren't like Glock frames....

Best, Jon

Caballoflaco
06-19-2020, 08:14 PM
A bit reminiscent of the Tokarev removable fcg, which I always kinda liked from a design perspective.

msh
06-19-2020, 09:54 PM
Saw somewhere else (forget where) a review on these and there is a locktited adjustment screw able to adjust trigger pull but required futzing. Said about 3.5 stock pull weight if I recall correctly.

Which begs the question why someone would pay $300 for a trigger feel that could likely be achieved for less than half that with a stock EGW kit?

FWIW have had excellent results with a pre-tuned 2011 Brazos kit in a 1911.

Bought the tools, stoned my own sears, and tuned springs but the Brazos kit got it there without the expense and fuss.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

farscott
06-20-2020, 07:07 AM
I noted in the Brownells reviews that two out of four had to fit the thumb safety. While that is not surprising, if you can fit a 1911 thumb safety, fitting the rest of the parts is not that much more work and uses the same tools. I like the concept of the 1911 FCG, but, requiring a safety to be fit means it is, as expected, not a "drop-in" part. I also rather buy the expensive tools and use them on other firearms than spend the money on one set of mated parts that still require me to have the tools to finish the work.

Trooper224
06-20-2020, 08:54 AM
Instead of trying to turn a 1911 into a P320, just buy a P320 if modular drop-in parts are your jam.

The 1911 market exhibits such wide variation in spec tolerances that I can't see this being a big money maker. I can see it being a big headache.

Boxy
06-21-2020, 06:03 AM
I believe Cylinder and Slide has been offering "drop in" fire control for 1911s for some time. Not modules but just need to tweak sear spring, etc.

Mileage may vary.

popejp248
09-14-2021, 07:59 PM
But I like messing with the sear spring. :)

It's probably well made and all, but anyone who installs one of these should double check their thumb safety function.

Can I ask what you might have been hinting about? I am by no means a smithy, but have some concerns on my setup, which was recently installed. I have 2 hammer follows (not firing strikes) out of about 200 rounds and am curious what I might have done incorrectly if anything.

Would welcome anyone's feedback, to be honest.

Trukinjp13
09-15-2021, 11:18 AM
I was interested in this system as my recent purchase was needing a trigger and safety. But I am not a fan of the pull weight on their system.

I ended up going with Wilson bullet proof ambi safeties, bulletproof sear spring and 10-8 flatty. The pistol has a bullet proof sear already installed. Just had a low budget ambi safety and set to 5.5lba for trigger.

Excited to get her fit and shoot this thing. I also saved a bunch of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinson
09-15-2021, 11:38 AM
Can I ask what you might have been hinting about? I am by no means a smithy, but have some concerns on my setup, which was recently installed. I have 2 hammer follows (not firing strikes) out of about 200 rounds and am curious what I might have done incorrectly if anything.

Would welcome anyone's feedback, to be honest.

Any time even a standard trigger job is done to a 1911, the fitment of the thumb safety should be checked carefully. The thumb safety interacts directly with the sear, so the sear engagement lug must be shaped properly and fitted to the sear. Fitting the thumb safety to the sear should be the last thing done when building or replacing the fire control components in a 1911. Not doing so can render the gun unsafe -- the safety may no longer keep the gun from firing when engaged, or worse.

Trukinjp13
09-15-2021, 11:43 AM
Any time even a standard trigger job is done to a 1911, the fitment of the thumb safety should be checked carefully. The thumb safety interacts directly with the sear, so the sear engagement lug must be shaped properly and fitted to the sear. Fitting the thumb safety to the sear should be the last thing done when building or replacing the fire control components in a 1911. Not doing so can render the gun unsafe -- the safety may no longer keep the gun from firing when engaged, or worse.

On this 1911 I am getting setup. The ambi safety had so much slop in between sides it was screwing up the beaver tail safety. It would not let the beaver tail come all the way out and was causing a extremely hard trigger pull when gripping tightly.

I pulled passenger side safety off and viola beaver tail and trigger worked perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk