PDA

View Full Version : A suppressed .22 is VERY useful, but which platform?

ASH556
06-19-2020, 08:57 AM
Outside of my Glock 19 that I carry daily and my AR15, the next most useful (or perhaps more useful from a pure utility standpoint) is a suppressed .22. I've used mine to take out numerous pests such as field mice and chipmunks as well as for the mercy killing of an unfortunate rabbit that had made its home in a pile of brush that I burned, and I only learned of his presence when he attempted to hop away half-scorched. From a hunting perspective, squirrels and rabbits are plentiful for food. From a societal collapse standpoint where the grocery store is no longer a viable source of meat, I've even heard of countless whitetail being taken with .22lr. I've never done it and there are certainly more "ethical" calibers to shoot a deer with, but in that situation, it's more about what "can" be done and stealth may need to be prioritized over other things.

So, at this point I'm of the opinion that a suppressed .22lr is at least as useful as a good knife as a piece of kit; especially for a longer-term survival proposition. My question in the matter really comes down to platform. On the one hand, squirrels and rabbits are small critters and I've certainly found real value in the 2-7 Leupold I have mounted on my 16" threaded CZ bolt action .22. However, carrying another long gun presents another set of undesirable circumstances. A suppressed .22 pistol is certainly compact, but irons can be limiting. I've found an RDS to enhance the range of my G19 and wonder of the same would be true of an RDS-equipped 22/45 Lite (or similar). Still, the RDS doesn't have quite the ability of the 2-7 scope in picking out prey animals that are naturally camouflaged.

My currently-owned options are as follows:

-S&W M&P22 (the original, not compact). I swapped out the crappy factory sights for a set of real steel sights off an M&P 9. I have a Bladetech holster for it and holsters are convenient because it fits in standard M&P holsters. I've used it as a utility suppressed gun as well as a rimfire trainer for working draws and such. It's been exceedingly reliable.

https://i.imgur.com/gx6w7dtl.jpg

-S&W M&P15-22. AR Platform, upgraded with a Timney trigger. Reliable and commonality with AR controls are its pro's. Can break down for travel if need be. However, 16" barrel + suppressor gets pretty long. Currently it also wears just a cheap red dot. If I were going to make this the "go-to" option, the optics would need to be upgraded.

-CZ 452 American cut to 16" and threaded. Beautiful rifle, great trigger, my most accurate .22lr, wears the aforementioned 2-7 Leupold. It's a bolt action, which makes it quieter and potentially "more reliable" but is also slower to operate and then the magazine capacity is only 5.

-Ruger 10/22T cut to 16" and threaded. Beautiful rifle, great trigger, my second most accurate .22lr, currently not scoped. Semi-auto, 10 round flush-fit rotary mag is boringly reliable. Opportunity to run higher capacity 25rd mags. Big downside (in the rifle category other than length) is weight.

I guess there are a couple questions here:

1. pistol vs rifle
2. optic (rds vs scope)

I guess there's a part of me that's strongly leaning toward something like this:
https://i.imgur.com/iALpnOVl.jpg
Please discuss.

Guerrero
06-19-2020, 09:00 AM
I don't know about "best" platform, but this makes me giggle like a little girl every time I watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toa2AfTBenA

CCT125US
06-19-2020, 09:46 AM
I'm looking into a 10/22 Charger Takedown with brace, for similar reasons. My current 10/22CTD is probably the most enjoyed "family" gun.

Currently have a cheapo Bushnell TRS25 on top. If I went braced, I would move to a LPVO for steel work out to 200.

mtnbkr
06-19-2020, 10:02 AM
My RDS-equipped (Bushnell TRS25) Ruger MkII 22/45 LTE and Ruger can go on every camping trip. It's just too much fun to plink without bothering anyone and is supremely easy to shoot. It feels like cheating most of the time.

The Ruger's innards are mostly upgraded, but it would be fun even in stock form.

Chris

GJM
06-19-2020, 10:08 AM
I think that, once you have the suppressor, you want at least a pistol and a long gun that are threaded for it.

OlongJohnson
06-19-2020, 10:16 AM
^^^This.

.22s are cheap. If you're going into the NFA, you can embrace the power of both.

I prefer Buck Marks to Ruger Marks, for a variety of reasons. They have built many factory threaded barrels. Lightweight, heavy, shorter, a little longer. Pick the one you want.

If I didn't already have a threaded .22LR rifle, I would go for the Tikka T1x. If they ever build it in stainless with a 16.5-inch barrel, I'll buy one anyway. e_stern

I also see reasons to have a semi-auto .22LR rifle.

Both. Er.

LOKNLOD
06-19-2020, 10:33 AM
I think a pistol is a better first choice; then get a rifle to go-with. If "clandestine" is in the intent, a pistol is just a more versatile option in more situations than a rifle. A Ruger 22/45 with dot and light as pictured is pretty "peak suppressed 22 pistol". If a threaded .22 version of your preferred service pistol is an option, that makes a lot of sense to me, too.

If a rifle was focused on hunting/woods and quiet was priority, i'd lean toward a threaded bolt gun. If I was thinking more "sneaky urban combat" for some reason, something like the 15/22 might suit me more.

The threaded Ruger 10/22 takedown charger with a folding brace would be a pretty interesting addition to the mix... Short, gets smaller, high cap, accurate.

I have a Ruger 22/45 Lite and M&P 15/22 as my pair right now.

Flamingo
06-19-2020, 11:26 AM
If you want to go for the 10-22, I highly recommend the Tactical Solutions Matte Black X-RING SBX Barrel ( https://tacticalsol.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1366892&CAT=13324 ). I have one on a PWS toggle action (Volquartsen bought the rights to it recently) and one on a Kidd 10/22 action.

The SBX barrel is a 12.5 inch barrel with a 4 inch cage that covers the suppressor so you get a SBR without the tax stamp.

UNK
06-19-2020, 11:37 AM
I don't know about "best" platform, but this makes me giggle like a little girl every time I watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toa2AfTBenA

Is it my imagination or is the first shot out of each mag louder than the rest?
If its not my imagination why is this so?

ASH556
06-19-2020, 11:54 AM

Yes, google "first round pop." The short layman's answer is that certain baffle designs in suppressors are more susceptible to FRP than others and it has something to do with the volume in between the baffles being filled with gas that dampens the report of subsequent shots.

tango-papa
06-19-2020, 11:54 AM
My currently-owned options are as follows:

-S&W M&P22 (the original, not compact). I swapped out the crappy factory sights for a set of real steel sights off an M&P 9. I have a Bladetech holster for it and holsters are convenient because it fits in standard M&P holsters. I've used it as a utility suppressed gun as well as a rimfire trainer for working draws and such. It's been exceedingly reliable.

-S&W M&P15-22. AR Platform, upgraded with a Timney trigger. Reliable and commonality with AR controls are its pro's. Can break down for travel if need be. However, 16" barrel + suppressor gets pretty long. Currently it also wears just a cheap red dot. If I were going to make this the "go-to" option, the optics would need to be upgraded.

-CZ 452 American cut to 16" and threaded. Beautiful rifle, great trigger, my most accurate .22lr, wears the aforementioned 2-7 Leupold. It's a bolt action, which makes it quieter and potentially "more reliable" but is also slower to operate and then the magazine capacity is only 5.

-Ruger 10/22T cut to 16" and threaded. Beautiful rifle, great trigger, my second most accurate .22lr, currently not scoped. Semi-auto, 10 round flush-fit rotary mag is boringly reliable. Opportunity to run higher capacity 25rd mags. Big downside (in the rifle category other than length) is weight.

Your current list of owned options is a nice selection of guns.

The two M&P .22's seem to be ideal for your needs if you upgrade the optic on the rifle - pistol for close, rifle for far.

The 10/22T is a great rifle and with an optic, could fill the role of close/far. SBR'ing it would reduce weight/OAL and likely make it almost perfect for your needs.

The Ruger 22/45 in the photo would also be an excellent option (Vortex makes a nice optic well suited to your intended use).

A photo of your CZ 452 American would make this thread more better.

If you don't mind, curious who did your barrel cut/threading on the CZ & Ruger rifles?

OlongJohnson
06-19-2020, 11:58 AM

ETA: ASH556 beat me to the reply.
------------------

Commonly observed. Known as "first round pop."

I could speculate, but I haven't read any authoritative explanations nor done any work to understand why it happens. I've seen demonstrations of adding media such as water or gel inside the can to significantly diminish it, but I've also seen a lot of instruction manuals saying not to do that.

UNK
06-19-2020, 12:10 PM
Yes, google "first round pop." The short layman's answer is that certain baffle designs in suppressors are more susceptible to FRP than others and it has something to do with the volume in between the baffles being filled with gas that dampens the report of subsequent shots.

Ok yes I found it. The explanation I read said oxygen in the silencer ignites.

Just a bit of additional info precharge airguns with built in silencers that dont require a stamp and are really close to .22 levels are available. Google Benjamin Maurauder for an example. They can be chambered to shoot bullets instead of pellets too. Ive got a buddy who mods them. Tons of aftermarket options available for the Maurauder. And maybe others also Im not as up to date on it as my buddy.

ASH556
06-19-2020, 01:07 PM

The two M&P .22's seem to be ideal for your needs if you upgrade the optic on the rifle - pistol for close, rifle for far.

The 10/22T is a great rifle and with an optic, could fill the role of close/far. SBR'ing it would reduce weight/OAL and likely make it almost perfect for your needs.

The Ruger 22/45 in the photo would also be an excellent option (Vortex makes a nice optic well suited to your intended use).

If you don't mind, curious who did your barrel cut/threading on the CZ & Ruger rifles?

Answer to your last question first:
10/22: Que on RFC cut the barrel and did his "bolt job."
CZ - Accurate Ordnance, Winder GA.

My best friend and I made matching rifles out of a pair of CZ452 Americans he found at a distributor. His dad owns several shops/ranges locally including the one I worked in for 13 years. Barrels cut to 16" and threaded 1/2x28 with knurled fabricated thread protectors that match barrel OD, Leupold Gloss Rimfire 2-7x28's, Leupold rings, and even matching Boyt cases. Dorky maybe, but fun and a "tactical gentleman's" .22lr.

I have my AAC Evo-9 on it in the pics below because I have my Element 2 on the M&P22 pistol. Earlier this week I shot a chipmunk offhand out the back door at 20yds with this rifle. However, upon attempted retrieval and disposal of the body from my kids playground I found it paralyzed but still breathing. The M&P + Element 2 made short work with a round to his cranium.

https://i.imgur.com/ucl5Squl.jpg

A "real" pic:

https://i.imgur.com/0jpta8Cl.jpg

M&P 22 as it sits this very minute with AAC Element2:
https://i.imgur.com/wH2o5xBl.jpg

Ruger 10/22 currently not scoped. Very accurate and don't really want to change the barrel. Was also a Christmas gift from my wife early in our marriage. Plan is to re-scope it with something like a 4.5-14 target model Leupold when funds allow Target below was shot with a 2-7x28 Leupold Rimfire.

https://i.imgur.com/AcYNHrxl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/pd8E1d7l.jpg

M&P15-22 with Amazon M2 clone
https://i.imgur.com/7toyMtRl.jpg

Maybe my initial post was unclear. I have plenty of .22lr suppressor hosts. Some of the replies seemed to indicate that I ought to get one or something.

My question is more centered around something as a "grab and go" third gun for a long term off-grid survival situation to use primarily for hunting game with a low profile, wherein also if while hunting I came across a threat that would allow me to dump 5 in the face PDQ. The "grab and go" aspect is what has me not in-love with the idea of another long gun. The M&P22 I currently have accomplishes all the rest already except ability to mount an optic for greater precision on small targets and/or at distance.

Worth selling the M&P22 to fund a 22/45 I guess is the real question?

flyrodr
06-19-2020, 01:38 PM
Well, keeping things simple, I have a Ruger .22//45 Lite, with an RMR and Gemtech suppressor. Other than some trigger work, it's stock. A bit bulky, but much less so, and much lighter than, e.g., a 10/22, which I have but rarely have when I'm out in the woods. Comparatively, the Ruger frequently goes along.

Incidentally, a year or so ago, I took about 4-5 brands of standard velocity or suppressor-designed ammo to the range. Some were significantly quieter than others. Unfortunately, I can't find my notes at the moment. Worth checking into though.

littlejerry
06-19-2020, 02:12 PM
Have you tried actual small game hunting with a pistol? It's hard.

What are you more likely to use this for? Self defense, carrying in a backpack(check the laws on CCW +can), or actual hunting?

A braced Ruger charger would be pretty handy and versatile.

Personally for hunting I really prefer bolts or levers when it comes to rimfire. No question about cycling with subsonic HPs and usually quieter than a semi with or without a can.

I'm not sure ""off grid" exists on the east coast, at least not in the SE. Even on our largest public lands there still seems to be a high density of people.

ASH556
06-19-2020, 02:20 PM
Have you tried actual small game hunting with a pistol? It's hard.

What are you more likely to use this for? Self defense, carrying in a backpack(check the laws on CCW +can), or actual hunting?

A braced Ruger charger would be pretty handy and versatile.

Personally for hunting I really prefer bolts or levers when it comes to rimfire. No question about cycling with subsonic HPs and usually quieter than a semi with or without a can.

I'm not sure ""off grid" exists on the east coast, at least not in the SE. Even on our largest public lands there still seems to be a high density of people.

Yep, I used to have a Single Six that I carried along with my SxS .410. On the occasions I tried to make a shot with the Single Six I found it very difficult. This was several years ago, though and I had nowhere near the pistol skill I have currently. I ought to try it again. Irons is definitely a limiting factor to pistol distance shooting compared to a dot though...not in absolute performance, but the human interface part. Easier to see where you're holding = easier to make the shot than not seeing or covering the entire target with the front sight.

littlejerry
06-19-2020, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I certainly understand that. For years I only hunted with aperture sights. Today I still do, just not exclusively(usually early season).

For a squirrel the kill zone is about 1.5" in diameter, assuming a perfect broadside shot. That's a tough pistol shot, dot or not. Getting within 25 yards of a squirrel isnt always feasible when the leaves are off the trees. If you have one treed and he's hiding from you that shot gets a lot tougher. Magnification helps in those cases, even if it's just binos so you can see what's tree bark and what's fur.

The cruel irony of hunting is I usually walk into a herd of deer when squirrel hunting and find myself surrounded by squirrels barking at me while seer hunting. This year I think I may take a suppressed Glock 44 for some opportunistic shots. Last year I took the 15-22 because it was so light and managed to bag a few squirrels at sunrise.

farscott
06-19-2020, 03:06 PM
Another rifle option: Skip the suppressor and shoot rounds like CCI Quiet (there is a 40-grain load at 710 fps). The Remington 552 is capable of firing .22 Short, .22 Long, and .22 Long Rifle and will cycle the CCI Quiet loads with no issues.

OlongJohnson
06-19-2020, 03:39 PM
Anyone here shoot HM2 to go after squirrels?

farscott
06-19-2020, 04:05 PM
Anyone here shoot HM2 to go after squirrels?

Tried it once with a Volquartsen 10/22 platform. Effective but destructive and dang loud. My experience with the HM2 ended as exploded squirrel is not my thing, and I sent the rifle down the road with a farmer friend. He keeps in it his tractor for opportunistic shots.

BobM
06-19-2020, 07:06 PM
I have a 22/45 with a Tac Sol upper with an Aimpoint Micro, which would be my choice for your application. My second choice would be my 10/22 Backpacker takedown. I also have a very accurate heavy barrel 10/22, a M&P15/22, and Ruger American Rimfire compacts in 22 lr and 22 magnum, all threaded.
I can carry the pistol and suppressor (separately) in an HPG kit bag while hunting with a long gun. I also have a holster that will carry the pistol with the suppressor attached if I want.

El Cid
06-19-2020, 07:36 PM
I went with a 10/22. I have a buddy with a takedown version and it loses zero every time he takes it apart. Sample of one but I didn’t want to mess with it.

Looking online, it seems it may have been discontinued but I highly recommend the Gem Tech MIST 22. It has a tremendous amount of volume and is the quietest 22 can I’ve ever heard. I call it my giggle gun because that’s what people do when they shoot it. With subs it’s about as loud as a desk stapler.

The other benefit is that it looks like a standard bull barrel so it won’t scare the snowflakes, hipster doofuses, and soccer moms.
https://i.imgur.com/ccOSJqY_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/AAXsQGk_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Grouse870
06-19-2020, 08:00 PM
I think a ruger charger with a brace would work. Or there’s a new grip for t/c G2 that allows you to use a sig folding brace. A t/c g2 with a treaded barrel of about 6-8” even with a suppressor would be pretty short

tango-papa
06-20-2020, 11:30 AM

My best friend and I made matching rifles out of a pair of CZ452 Americans he found at a distributor. His dad owns several shops/ranges locally including the one I worked in for 13 years. Barrels cut to 16" and threaded 1/2x28 with knurled fabricated thread protectors that match barrel OD, Leupold Gloss Rimfire 2-7x28's, Leupold rings, and even matching Boyt cases. Dorky maybe, but fun and a "tactical gentleman's" .22lr.

I have my AAC Evo-9 on it in the pics below because I have my Element 2 on the M&P22 pistol. Earlier this week I shot a chipmunk offhand out the back door at 20yds with this rifle. However, upon attempted retrieval and disposal of the body from my kids playground I found it paralyzed but still breathing. The M&P + Element 2 made short work with a round to his cranium.

A "real" pic:

Ruger 10/22 currently not scoped. Very accurate and don't really want to change the barrel. Was also a Christmas gift from my wife early in our marriage. Plan is to re-scope it with something like a 4.5-14 target model Leupold when funds allow Target below was shot with a 2-7x28 Leupold Rimfire.

Maybe my initial post was unclear. I have plenty of .22lr suppressor hosts. Some of the replies seemed to indicate that I ought to get one or something.

My question is more centered around something as a "grab and go" third gun for a long term off-grid survival situation to use primarily for hunting game with a low profile, wherein also if while hunting I came across a threat that would allow me to dump 5 in the face PDQ. The "grab and go" aspect is what has me not in-love with the idea of another long gun. The M&P22 I currently have accomplishes all the rest already except ability to mount an optic for greater precision on small targets and/or at distance.

Thanks for the info/sources on the cut/thread work.
Your CZ 542 American is a very nice looking rifle and the configuration well done.

If you're happy with the M&P15-22, suggest keep it and get a 22/45 when you have the funds.

Nephrology
06-20-2020, 12:23 PM
I went with a 10/22. I have a buddy with a takedown version and it loses zero every time he takes it apart. Sample of one but I didn’t want to mess with it.

Looking online, it seems it may have been discontinued but I highly recommend the Gem Tech MIST 22. It has a tremendous amount of volume and is the quietest 22 can I’ve ever heard. I call it my giggle gun because that’s what people do when they shoot it. With subs it’s about as loud as a desk stapler.

The other benefit is that it looks like a standard bull barrel so it won’t scare the snowflakes, hipster doofuses, and soccer moms.
https://i.imgur.com/ccOSJqY_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/AAXsQGk_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I really want one of these now.

Catshooter
06-20-2020, 10:48 PM
I have a .22/45 Lite suppressed that I love. I use it mostly to control squirrels and rabbits in yard/garden. Favorite load is the CCI Suppressor 45 grain HP. I've shot probably a dozen critters with it and it has never (yet) failed to give a one shot stop. Very quiet. I live in town and no one gives the report a second glance.

I normally use a rimfire suppressor but if I want really, really quiet my 5.56 suppressor does the job. All you really hear is the action working.

Great combo, I'm a happy camper. The squirrels, not so much. :)

Cat

Lost River
06-21-2020, 03:36 PM

Here is a CZ 452 suppressed on Safari..

Not the greatest pic really.

https://i.imgur.com/Eo2MGVS.jpg

tango-papa
06-21-2020, 03:45 PM
Here is a CZ 452 suppressed on Safari..

Not the greatest pic really.

https://i.imgur.com/Eo2MGVS.jpg

Very cool pic/rifle.

Scope / suppressor / barrel length?

Lost River
06-21-2020, 03:58 PM

https://i.imgur.com/ucl5Squl.jpg

A "real" pic:

https://i.imgur.com/0jpta8Cl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wH2o5xBl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AcYNHrxl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/pd8E1d7l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7toyMtRl.jpg

I have a couple decades of hunting with a suppressed .22. Most of that with a superbly reliable Ruger MK II. Literally truck loads of game have been taken with it, and it has proven to be extremely reliable with quality ammo, to the point that I would have zero issue relying on it for close quarters use against people who wish to do me harm if it was required.

https://i.imgur.com/eB7lJOM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iSQZPdQ.jpg

The topic of first round pop was mention previously. A couple drops of oil in the can will significantly reduce the audible first round pop. :cool:

I currently have a small RDO on mine and it certainly makes longer range precision easier. From a hunting aspect it makes sense, however long term battery life is something that must be taken into account. It just depends on what you really envision as your realistic needs.

BTW, I personally consider the suppressed .22 handgun one of the single most under rated tools in the modern firearms tool box.

Lost River
06-21-2020, 04:25 PM
Very cool pic/rifle.

Scope / suppressor / barrel length?

Scope is an older Japanese LOW made Weaver 4-16 that has ridden on top of many a different rifle. Suppressor is a 90s era Gemtech outback. The barrel on the CZ was cut to 16.5"s and threaded. Decent little combo. :cool:

GJM
06-21-2020, 05:43 PM
Our success rate on gophers around the yard has gone way up since we started using a suppressor. Used to be one shot sent them underground, but now multiples is common.

LittleLebowski
06-21-2020, 06:36 PM

Monocores are notorious for this.

BobM
06-21-2020, 09:02 PM
I have a couple decades of hunting with a suppressed .22. Most of that with a superbly reliable Ruger MK II. Literally truck loads of game have been taken with it, and it has proven to be extremely reliable with quality ammo, to the point that I would have zero issue relying on it for close quarters use against people who wish to do me harm if it was required.

https://i.imgur.com/eB7lJOM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iSQZPdQ.jpg

The topic of first round pop was mention previously. A couple drops of oil in the can will significantly reduce the audible first round pop. :cool:

I currently have a small RDO on mine and it certainly makes longer range precision easier. From a hunting aspect it makes sense, however long term battery life is something that must be taken into account. It just depends on what you really envision as your realistic needs.

BTW, I personally consider the suppressed .22 handgun one of the single most under rated tools in the modern firearms tool box.

What was the range on the coyote?

Lost River
06-21-2020, 10:44 PM
When we first spotted him he was a 1/4 mile away or so, crossing the road. Then I thought he went into a field, but it was a field that was plowed with no real cover and I could not figure where he went, so I jumped out of the truck to look for him. Ends up he had dropped down into a concrete culvert and was trying to slink back away down the culvert irrigation ditch to avoid detection. He was only 20 ish yards when I jumped him and put one into the back of his skull.

If he had taken off across the field in a flat run, I would have never even bothered to shoot, as it would have been a low probability of a clean kill.

Little known "fact" that coyotes when they run, turn into "speed yotes" becoming half as tall, and twice as long, and stupidly fast.

Just like Wile.E.Coyote of Loony Tunes fame. :D

BobM
06-22-2020, 04:19 AM
Little known "fact" that coyotes when they run, turn into "speed yotes" becoming half as tall, and twice as long, and stupidly fast.

Just like Wile.E.Coyote of Loony Tunes fame. :D

Lol. I learned that my first trip to Montana. We spotted one on our way to a prairie dog town. The only readily available rifle was a 17 K Hornet. It seemed like he ran faster each time we shot.

tango-papa
06-22-2020, 04:39 AM
Scope is an older Japanese LOW made Weaver 4-16 that has ridden on top of many a different rifle. Suppressor is a 90s era Gemtech outback. The barrel on the CZ was cut to 16.5"s and threaded. Decent little combo. :cool:

A "decent little combo" indeed.

jandbj
06-23-2020, 02:24 PM
Braced Charger... chopped barrel to 4.5” just as fun as my SBR 15/22. Personally, I wouldn’t bother with the TD version for the minimal difference in storage size.