PDA

View Full Version : Showing support for the police. Best practice?

HCountyGuy
06-18-2020, 02:29 PM
Speaking the truth has never been more important. I'm not willing to allow a narrative to be created, endorsed and accepted as true which is created of whole cloth without raising my voice, whether here, with neighbors, or anywhere else, to present what I believe to be true.

If we allow only one side and one voice to be heard, then what solution does the silence bring about? Tacit agreement? Lack of will? Acceptance of shame?

If we are too weak to speak the truth, to have the courage of our convictions, to not be bullied, then perhaps all the freedoms ensured by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are simply empty words on pieces of parchment.

I quoted blues because I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment that seems to be shared by our nation’s law enforcement. They need a show of support from those who truly back them.

The unfortunate current reality of our society is that showing support for the police is viewed as condoning incidents like what happened to George Floyd. The BLM types have adopted the mentality that anything less than complete disdain for the police means you’re aligned with the enemy and a racist.

For some, voicing support is career suicide. Physical demonstrations are likely to be met with extreme hostility and quite likely violence as a result.

Aside from the obvious solution of voting and hoping those we vote for will work to un-kitten things, what should (or can) be done?

farscott
06-18-2020, 02:58 PM
I sure do not have any answers, but I always do the following:

1) When I see an officer in public, I acknowledge him or her by saying hi or with a friendly wave. I live in a small town, so there are more interactions than just my vehicle crossing the path of a LE vehicle. Sometimes a brief conversation happens as I have gotten to know more than few LEOs due to being in the community and having shared hobbies.

2) When at restaurants where LE is dining, when possible (does not work at Chick-fil-A as Chick-fil-A does not let LEOs pay), I pay their tab. I have learned to ask the server for their bills and pay them when I pay mine. It may not be seen in the way a demonstration is, but it shows the officer(s) someone in the community thinks enough of them to make a small gesture of appreciation.

GyroF-16
06-18-2020, 02:59 PM
Thanks HCountyGuy.

I was wondering the same thing.

My weak attempt:
I’m vacationing at my parents house right now, and was out for my usual morning run. County Sheriff’s deputy was parked working speed enforcement. I took off my sunglasses and approached the car. When he rolled down the window, it was a younger guy on his phone.
I briefly told him that I value the job he does every day, and said “I appreciate you.” Small stuff, but I hope it meant something.

farscott -
When I was still on active duty, I took my wife and infant son to lunch at Cracker Barrel in uniform one day. An anonymous person picked up the check, and told the server to just tell us “thank you for your service”. Having recently returned from overseas, it really moved me. I have since adopted the same tactic for junior enlisted when I see them dining in the airport in uniform.
I appreciate your suggestion, and will look for opportunities to do the same for LEOs when I have the opportunity.

HCountyGuy
06-18-2020, 03:04 PM

1) When I see an officer in public, I acknowledge him or her by saying hi or with a friendly wave. I live in a small town, so there are more interactions than just my vehicle crossing the path of a LE vehicle. Sometimes a brief conversation happens as I have gotten to know more than few LEOs due to being in the community and having shared hobbies.

2) When at restaurants where LE is dining, when possible (does not work at Chick-fil-A as Chick-fil-A does not let LEOs pay), I pay their tab. I have learned to ask the server for their bills and pay them when I pay mine. It may not be seen in the way a demonstration is, but it shows the officer(s) someone in the community thinks enough of them to make a small gesture of appreciation.

I like your approach and strive to do the same. I simply do not know that it is sufficient to perform the small personal gestures in light of the issues facing them now where it seems to nearly be them (LE overall) vs the world. Not to discourage or diminish those practices, but I get the sense (perhaps I’m off-base) that something more substantial may be in order. I’m similarly lost on what that might be.

Totem Polar
06-18-2020, 03:10 PM

This and this. I picked up the coffee of a cop in line behind me at a coffeeshop over the holidays before the whole covid thing hit, and a couple of weeks ago, I was in traffic and a cop pulled behind me at a stoplight. I gave her an enthusiastic little kid’s wave in the mirror, and got the same in return.

A little goes a long ways, I’d hazard.

(As an aside, cops aren’t supposed to accept gifts in my city—or so I was told—but I was in line 1st, on my home turf, and my friend behind the counter knew the guy’s regular order, so, tough shit. :) )

farscott
06-18-2020, 03:11 PM
I like your approach and strive to do the same. I simply do not know that it is sufficient to perform the small personal gestures in light of the issues facing them now where it seems to nearly be them (LE overall) vs the world. Not to discourage or diminish those practices, but I get the sense (perhaps I’m off-base) that something more substantial may be in order. I’m similarly lost on what that might be.

You may be right, but I like to think that actions speak louder than words. Engaging individual LEOs in a positive manner is more important to me than carrying a sign in a demonstration/protest. It may not be right, but it is what I do.

TGS
06-18-2020, 03:15 PM
Me being one guy and all, but LEOs don't need overt support and nice things done for them. No amount of petty gifts and people being nice to cops is going to change the current dysfunction in our country and make cops jeapordize their freedom and family's wellbeing simply to be charged for doing things as we're taught while comporting ourselves within the confines of standing law.

I'm not sure what the best way to support police would be....but I think the one thing that police want more than anything is to not be thrown to the wolves for doing their job and be assumed to be criminal. It'd be pretty sweet if there was an American equivalent to the Sunni Awakening, where the populace put a proverbial blanket over the social media firestorm and media that is intentionally spreading false narratives and sowing distrust and discord, undermining the institutions of our constitutional republic and way of life.

While I might not agree with their initial viewpoint on the use of LVNRs, I think this is an excellent example of a grassroots effort and trying to coopt the narrative and push it in a positive direction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MRDigL6CQs&t=849s&fbclid=IwAR2jUFvNvzf1Yfx49D-3YXonDOetEI32EW3PrApX2q1ryApDTgiOroZxHfw&app=desktop

GyroF-16
06-18-2020, 03:22 PM
Me being one guy and all, but LEOs don't need overt support and nice things done for them. No amount of petty gifts and people being nice to cops is going to change the current dysfunction in our country and make cops jeapordize their freedom and family's wellbeing simply to be charged for doing things as we're taught while comporting ourselves within the confines of standing law.

I'm not sure what the best way to support police would be....but I think the one thing that police want more than anything is to not be thrown to the wolves for doing their job and be assumed to be criminal. It'd be pretty sweet if there was an American equivalent to the Sunni Awakening, where the populace put a proverbial blanket over the social media firestorm and media that is intentionally spreading false narratives and sowing distrust and discord, undermining the institutions of our constitutional republic and way of life.

While I might not agree with their initial viewpoint on the use of LVNRs, I think this is an excellent example of a grassroots effort and trying to coopt the narrative and push it in a positive direction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MRDigL6CQs&t=849s&fbclid=IwAR2jUFvNvzf1Yfx49D-3YXonDOetEI32EW3PrApX2q1ryApDTgiOroZxHfw&app=desktop

I’m with you, TGS. Until I can figure out how to influence the chattering classes of social media and the press, I’m going to at least let the guys and gals I see on the job know that they have my support.
Do you have any ideas on how regular “men on the street” like us can affect bigger social change?

TGS
06-18-2020, 03:28 PM
Do you have any ideas on how regular “men on the street” like us can affect bigger social change?

I'm just one of your fellow plebians, bro.

That's more a question for some CIA Ground Branch dude who knows how to control useful idiots like a marionette.

Trooper224
06-18-2020, 03:31 PM
Cops don't need your free coffee, paid meals and "thank you for your service." That's all cheap bull shit designed to make yourself feel better. So you can go about your day telling yourself you got involved. What they need you to do is GET INVOLVED. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Counter protests, pushing for legislative action, that's all working for the opposition and it can work for you. The silent majority needs to get off its complacent ass and be far less silent. Concerned about your job, or being cancelled on social media? There are good folks out there behind the badge who are risking more than that and doing it for you.

If you don't want to step up and be heard, okay. You're going to wind up with bigger problems than you ever imagined, because you won't have any cops left to do it for you.

Fuck your thanks and your coffee, get involved.

Suvorov
06-18-2020, 03:31 PM
That's more a question for some CIA Ground Branch dude who knows how to control useful idiots like a marionette.

Seems like they are all working for the other team these days......

GyroF-16
06-18-2020, 03:35 PM
Cops don't need your free coffee, paid meals and "thank you for your service." That's all cheap bull shit designed to make yourself feel better. So you can go about your day telling yourself you got involved. What they need you to do is GET INVOLVED. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Counter protests, pushing for legislative action, that's all working for the opposition and it can work for you. The silent majority needs to get off its complacent ass and be far less silent. Concerned about your job, or being cancelled on social media? There are good folks out there behind the badge who are risking more than that and doing it for you.

If you don't want to step up and be heard, okay. You're going to wind up with bigger problems than you ever imagined, because you won't have any cops left to do it for you.

Wow.
Okay, noted.

blues
06-18-2020, 03:37 PM
Speak the truth when the opportunity presents. Let your elected representatives know. Vote for people who don't throw LE under the bus, if you can find any.

Treat everyone with respect but be honest if they ask how you feel. Honest isn't strident. The facts speak for themselves. Read or view some of Heather Mac Donald's work.

As above, it never hurts to let the uniforms know that they matter to you. I want them to know that I may be a retired fed, but I won't pass them on the street if they are in need of my help.

blues
06-18-2020, 03:41 PM

I understand where you are coming from but there is absolutely no reason to throw our friends under the bus. Servicemen and women have paid the price of the public's derision too...during my teen years and since.

Give advice, fine. Chide, even...fine. But I think your off base with that tack...at least here. Take it for what it's worth.

HCountyGuy
06-18-2020, 03:43 PM

Ah, I see you know how to make friends and influence people.

Message received. Delivery sucked.

Trooper224
06-18-2020, 03:44 PM
I understand where you are coming from but there is absolutely no reason to throw our friends under the bus. Servicemen and women have paid the price of the public's derision too...during my teen years and since.

Give advice, fine. Chide, even...fine. But I think your off base with that tack...at least here. Take it for what it's worth.

On this point we're going to have to agree to disagree. Our friends are indeed throwing us under the bus with their inaction. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, their going to find that out when the barbarians are through the gate and there's no one to stop them.

Trooper224
06-18-2020, 03:45 PM
Ah, I see you know how to make friends and influence people.

Message received. Delivery sucked.

I have enough friends. I don't need anymore. Wake up and stand up.

UNM1136
06-18-2020, 03:52 PM
Know the facts. How many police-citizen interactions are there on average in a given year? How may result in use of force? How many unarmed folks were killed by cops last year? How many killed cops? Of specific people killed by cops what is the race of the cops that killed them? What is the most common weapon used to attempt to kill cops (not your first two guesses, likely).

Share the facts. Be involved. Suggest, or better yet, demand, heaven forbid, that an investigation be completed before an officer is fired. Or charged. Educate others. If you have to comment on short, incomplete videos or news stories, admit you don't have the full picture and suggest that your opinion may well change when the investigation is complete, and the facts are presented to a court and a verdict rendered. If the Innocence Project can free people from long, long sentences based on new evidence, or a reevaluation of old evidence, why can't the police officers have the the same opportunities? Innocent till proven guilty applies to cops too.

I have seen cops that were pieces of shit work the system and get off. I have seen far more cops tried and convicted in the court of public opinion, and then the facts exonerated them. Don't people cry that it is better than 1,000 guilty men go free than one innocent man be convicted?

pat

GyroF-16
06-18-2020, 03:55 PM
As above, it never hurts to let the uniforms know that they matter to you. I want them to know that I may be a retired fed, but I won't pass them on the street if they are in need of my help.

FWIW, I’m with you on that. Cop on the street losing a fight - one of the few things that meet the bar of “My monkeys, my circus.”

HCountyGuy

I’d say I’m awake, though arguably not “woke”.

I get your point and don’t disagree. And while it may be an excuse, those of us opposed to these BLM and ANTIFA types don’t have celebrities offering to bail us out of jail if (likely when) we do something more publicly visible, for instance a big protest, and we have to defend ourselves from the almost inevitable violence that will brought against us. I mean, unless we can be assured the police we’re supporting won’t arrest us.

Eh, I’m not sure where this side discussion is going or if it will be productive to pursue...

blues
On this point we're going to have to agree to disagree. Our friends are indeed throwing us under the bus with their inaction. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, their going to find that out when the barbarians are through the gate and there's no one to stop them.

You know we're on the same page. I've been trying my best to tell folks to speak up and speak out. Just a difference in methodology. I suppose some need the shock of your wake-up call as opposed to my appeal via reason. I just don't want to alienate those who support LE.

Anyway, as I say, I think you know that.

paherne
06-18-2020, 04:02 PM
Let your city council and county supervisors know that you do not support defunding law enforcement and that you will remember their actions come election day. Make an example out of one of them if they aren't doing what you want: make a FB, next door or other online campaign to get rid of Joe Schmoe that votes to defund police. Get a scalp and see them cower. That's what the current group of marxists is doing right now. Read Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals and watch how it is playing out on the local and national stage.

BehindBlueI's
06-18-2020, 04:04 PM
I guess I'm just too simple for my own good, but after a day of "fuck the police" a "thank you for your service" does help my morale. Yes, it's not going to fix everything. I don't care. It's like talking one guy down off the ledge vs fixing our fucked up mental health system. The systematic issues need to be addressed and will do more good long term, but never miss the opportunity to make a difference to an individual. There is no panacea.

A lot of cops are in a real shitty mindset right now. A reminder that not everyone hates them might actually matter to some of them. That whole "community policing" thing needs both parts.

Old Virginia
06-18-2020, 04:07 PM
For God sake TAKE A STAND! Speak up, don't run scared. Use your voting rights. And do not forget EMT's, Firemen, and all first Responders. Do not be scared of the "Politically Correct".

DC_P
06-18-2020, 04:28 PM

Really sorry to hear that. I had been going out of my way to wave or speak to officers when I could. They seemed appreciative, but they must have been rolling their eyes after I walked away. What a bummer...

blues
06-18-2020, 04:36 PM
Really sorry to hear that. I had been going out of my way to wave or speak to officers when I could. They seemed appreciative, but they must have been rolling their eyes after I walked away. What a bummer...

Don't take it personal. He's trying to make a point...we can't stop at just feeling good about demonstrating our support in a cafe or on the street. More is required to overcome the tsunami of shit that has been launched on LE and those of us who still care about the rule of law and equality in the eyes of the law.

Oldherkpilot
06-18-2020, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=Trooper224;1069022]On this point we're going to have to agree to disagree. Our friends are indeed throwing us under the bus with their inaction. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, their going to find that out when the barbarians are through the gate and there's no one to stop them.[/QUOTE

I support the Blue but Blue assholes, not so much. Lighten up, Francis.

BehindBlueI's
06-18-2020, 05:07 PM
Please don't make me Romper Room this thread.

Totem Polar
06-18-2020, 05:26 PM
Folks, everyone posting in this thread so far is on the same side.

That said, the alternatives being offered up by the ardent “take a stand” wing are not always feasible. Look at the city council make ups of many major cities, or the leanings of both the media and academia—who remain locked in an unholy conjugal feedback loop. You think that the few citizens who are actually interested in this stuff enough to buy and read macDonald are going to waltz into the council meeting and end up with anything other than a target on their back? I can tell you from experience that protestations thrown against a brick wall of lock-step idealism devoid of research are just going to splatter. Been there, got the T-shirt.

I’m still going to wave at, talk to, and buy coffee for the cops I run across, because they need to know that there are people out there that don’t hate them.

So far as having an effect on public policy, media, politicians, academics? The light bulb has to WANT to change first.

As William April said, “recreational outrage is the sport of the privileged.” I honestly believe that we have to indeed let this thing burn hard enough that the day comes when some folks call for help and none comes. Only when whole masses of folks who expect fresh roasted beans in their grinds, fresh baked muffins in the glass cases, voluntary criminal compliance, and busses and grocery delivery trucks running on time suddenly find themselves on their own will the pendulum swing back. Until a privilege that many have never gone without gets revoked, the recreational outrage will continue.

That’s just the fucking facts of the matter.

The idea of going into the Seattle city council to change all their minds on police use of force with a bunch of data from a book or a few studies is like going up against a young Mike Tyson while standing in a one-footed crane stance with your arms over your head like Daniel-san. Good luck with that.

There’s taking a stand, and then there is standing in front of a tsunami with your middle finger extended in defiance.

No, more shit will have to burn and more people will have to be affected by increasing criminality. The light bulb isn’t just resistant to change right now, it actually wants to screw itself tighter. JMO.

fixer
06-18-2020, 05:46 PM
I quoted blues because I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment that seems to be shared by our nation’s law enforcement. They need a show of support from those who truly back them.

The unfortunate current reality of our society is that showing support for the police is viewed as condoning incidents like what happened to George Floyd. The BLM types have adopted the mentality that anything less than complete disdain for the police means you’re aligned with the enemy and a racist.

For some, voicing support is career suicide. Physical demonstrations are likely to be met with extreme hostility and quite likely violence as a result.

Aside from the obvious solution of voting and hoping those we vote for will work to un-kitten things, what should (or can) be done?

Blues articulate call to action applies to other things under duress as well.

We are literally in a cultural insurgency.

Suvorov
06-18-2020, 05:49 PM
Folks, everyone posting in this thread so far is on the same side.
As William April said, “recreational outrage is the sport of the privileged.” I honestly believe that we have to indeed let this thing burn hard enough that the day comes when some folks call for help and none comes. Only when whole masses of folks who expect fresh roasted beans in their grinds, fresh baked muffins in the glass cases, voluntary criminal compliance, and busses and grocery delivery trucks running on time suddenly find themselves on their own will the pendulum swing back. Until a privilege that many have never gone without gets revoked, the recreational outrage will continue.

I agree with much of what you said. While a big part of me wants to go along with the above quoted paragraph I am hesitant. The "other side" wants this to happen. No, not the easily offended types SJW, the "hate the police types", or even the "burn it all down" ANTIFA types, but the ones behind them, funding them. As the old saying goes - "Order from Chaos" or "Solve et Coagula" in the Latin We have seen this play out many times before. The goal here is Chaos - because after the American people have a real heaping taste of Chaos, they will demand order and the order they get isn't going to have a nice constitution attached to it.

The "Cold" cultural revolution is about to get "Hot".

Totem Polar
06-18-2020, 05:55 PM
I agree with much of what you said. While a big part of me wants to go along with the above quoted paragraph I am hesitant. The "other side" wants this to happen. No, not the easily offended types SJW, the "hate the police types", or even the "burn it all down" ANTIFA types, but the ones behind them, funding them. As the old saying goes - "Order from Chaos" or "Solve et Coagula" in the Latin We have seen this play out many times before. The goal here is Chaos - because after the American people have a real heaping taste of Chaos, they will demand order and the order they get isn't going to have a nice constitution attached to it.

Well, there is that. I can’t say that I have a good counter argument for you.

Mitch
06-18-2020, 06:00 PM
I’m going to my city council meeting next week to make a public comment in support of our police department and express my expectations for funding to remain. Depending on how that is received and acted upon, I may or may not be running for city council at the next election. I said I never wanted to do something like that but I guess I found my line in the sand.

Caballoflaco
06-18-2020, 06:29 PM

The Catch 22 of free societies is that ultimately you can’t effectively suppress an ideology without violating the very laws that make your society free.

This has been noted as a way to destroy “free societies” since the early 1900’s if not earlier.

ETA: during the first Red Scare of 1919 the US used what are generally acknowledged as unconstitutional laws that were passed when we joined WWI to deport and jail a large number of troublesome people.

Trooper224
06-19-2020, 09:45 AM
Apologies to all for my initial post.

My feelings remain the same, but I could have expressed them in a much better fashion. To be honest. I find recent events heartbreaking, as many others no doubt do, but I shouldn't use you folks as my personal whipping boy.

I apologize for taking my frustration out on our membership.

fixer
06-19-2020, 10:22 AM

My feelings remain the same, but I could have expressed them in a much better fashion. To be honest. I find recent events heartbreaking, as many others no doubt do, but I shouldn't use you folks as my personal whipping boy.

It resonates with me in a good way. A call to action, if you will.

I think you presented a good case that there is necessary and then there is sufficient. Good gestures are necessary, but they aren't sufficient.

What I see is a lot of good folks--badge or not--that are boxed into silence.

Taking any action against the prevailing hysteria right now is a sure fire way to get fired or worse. Tomorrow I organize a back-the-blue support parade. By Monday I'm fired without cause. That is literally where folks are right now.

blues
06-19-2020, 10:34 AM

Not necessary...but I'm sure it's appreciated. You're a good man Trooper224.

Nightvisionary
06-19-2020, 10:48 AM

Nope, not without qualified immunity, it's too risky. Good people won't go into Portland or the other leftist mob controlled cities anymore. The last thing they need is to get mobbed by rioters then arrested by police when they "Stand Up" after getting a brick in the face. Almost no one will "Step up" if it doesn't involve a paycheck and includes a potential danger to one's life or freedom. LEO's are stating on this forum that they won't so LEO's can't realistically expect Mr. 9 till 5 to get off the couch. The wheels have been set in motion. All we can do at this point is hang on for the ride.

FrankinCA
06-19-2020, 11:20 AM

Hey Trooper, can I buy you a cup O’ Coffee? You sound a bit keyed up.....just kidding ....

Rex G
06-19-2020, 11:24 AM

Actually, we do, generally, appreciate expressions of support. (I am retired, now, but “we” still seems natural to say.) I do, however, understand why Trooper224 said what he did.
I also noticed that he has posted a follow-up, so please have a look at it.

Deep. Sigh.

I did not, and will not, “roll my eyes” at sincere expressions of appreciation and support. Yet, again, I understand where Trooper224 was coming from.

My frame of reference: I retired from Houston PD at the end of January 2018, just short of 34 years of sworn service. As COVID entered the picture, I found myself feeling as if I should have stayed a couple of more years, so that I could have seen it coming, so that I could have stayed on, and held fast, for the duration of the pandemic. (I would have felt it necessary to find another place to stay, to isolate from two vulnerable adults in our household, but I could have dealt with that. Having Type O blood, and being relatively lean, my personal risk profile is relatively low.) Then, Officer Chauvin performed the “restraint technique” seen/heard ‘round the world, and I experienced a most profound sadness, soon supplemented by a deep dread, neither of which has yet to cease.

That old Chinese curse says something like “May you live in interesting times.” Well, we live in interesting times.

MickAK
06-19-2020, 11:35 AM
In the spirit of 'fuck your coffee', I'm going to talk to my Representatives when I get off this work hitch and see if I can get better grappling training for my local officers going. I'm also going to review the use of force handbook and see if the carotid hold is banned in my locale or if there are plans to ban it. If so I'm going to fight against that to the best of my ability.

Maybe the LEOs that post here can suggest some specific actionable items people can bring up to their representatives.

On the other side, maybe people can post things their local PD does that appear to be a waste of resources/BS. Sometimes what is and isn't a waste needs an expert opinion.

Totem Polar
06-19-2020, 01:14 PM

You’re a stud. Just don’t tase longsword me, bro.
:)

Reading through all the posts in this thread so far really does make me want to come up with an actionable plan. In the old days, I’d use my writing chops to wage a letter campaign to the daily editor, but that’s not a viable platform any more.

Maybe we can put our heads together to come up with a few functional ideas, eg. the post directly above mine.

blues
06-19-2020, 01:29 PM
You’re a stud. Just don’t tase longsword me, bro.
:)

Reading through all the posts in this thread so far really does make me want to come up with an actionable plan. In the old days, I’d use my writing chops to wage a letter campaign to the daily editor, but that’s not a viable platform any more.

Maybe we can put our heads together to come up with a few functional ideas, eg. the post directly above mine.

I think women can start by burning their bras...

...Has that been done before?

lwt16
06-19-2020, 01:54 PM
I can report that locally, we are being OVERWHELMED with food at all our locations.

People are coming to our precincts left and right and dropping off all sorts of things. I suspect that eventually, defense attorneys in town will come up with some sort of love because they eventually will take a significant hit in their pocketbooks if everyone shade trees and Youtubes the days/nights away. We've seen ticket and arrests shut downs here before and eventually it stabilizes.

A local soft drink company brought an entire truckload of energy drinks, waters, sodas.....pallets of stuff...not too long ago.

The locals in my slice of zone utopia are super supportive of us....even those you wouldn't expect it from....and are of late my best buddies.

Personally, I'd like to see more tac med gear donated. Stuff like tourniquets, combat gauze, etc. Our local hospital donated IFAKs to us a few years back and I'd like to see more of that stuff. It was great to finally get the tools to save lives.

I remember one year someone anonymously send cards to all the street cops in my precinct. In each was a 25.00 Visa gift card. That was super nice since I needed gear that the department wouldn't supply to us and that's where it went. Gear that would allow me to do my job more efficient and benefit the citizens at large.

What did I buy? A push broom to use at crash scenes to get debris up quicker while we waited for wreckers or to sweep roofing nails out of lanes of traffic when they fall off the backs of trucks.

That sort of stuff means a whole lot and lets me and my coworkers know that someone still cares and has our backs.

And on rough days, it makes a huge difference in pressing on.

Regards.

DC_P
06-19-2020, 05:03 PM
I think women can start by burning their bras...

...Has that been done before?

It has, so lets go with panties this time. Call it going CommandO for leOs.

I volunteer to drive the parade float.

Paul D
06-19-2020, 07:26 PM
This is what I do personally:

Our hospital is a level 1 trauma center so there are a lot of Phoenix PD around. We as a hospital community have welcomed them with open arms. They have their own break room in the ED and we consider them a part of our family. I do buy the officers coffee. I don't it because they are cops; I do it because they are cool people and I like them. I truly believe they take it as an act of friendship and not as a perfunctory tribute.

Influence. I see at least 15 different people every half day of every week in my office. I give them advice and council about health and non-health issues. They usually listen to what I have to say (except for smoking cessation, not everybody listens to me about that...): eat right, exercise, take your meds, buy a gun and take a safety course. I advise them to support law enforcement via the ballot box. The people who come to see me all vote.

Money. I make campaign contributions to politicians who I think are aligned with my beliefs during election years. If you win 60% of the vote and have a healthy campaign war chest, you are immune to the liberal media. Especially in municipality elections, if you give just enough, my may even get a phone call from the politician!

I don't believe in doing counter protests because that seem to create more violence and take more time away from real police work. If the above is an impotent effort, then you can tell me to fuck my coffee.

Brazos Dan
06-21-2020, 12:53 PM
A couple of weeks ago during the height of the Seattle and DC riot activity, my wife and I were doing our regular dog walk in our local Kingwood, TX park.

When we got back to the parking area, a Houston PD suv was parked, providing park security. As we passed by, I dropped back and respectfully doffed my straw hat. I was surprised and touched by the appreciative reaction by the guys inside.

No free Big Mack or coffee, not for virtue signalling, just a simple, honest gesture of my appreciation which was enthusiastically returned.

Goes to show how a little appreciation can go a long way.
Other than voting the right way, I'm not sure what other "more meaningful" measures I can take. That said, as a typical law abiding Texan, I lawfully carry and would stand ready to actively respond should I see an officer getting the worst of a violent confrontation.

RoyGBiv
06-21-2020, 01:25 PM
Our local Citizens PD Support group is completely sold out of "Back The Blue" yard signs. Ordering more with a planned sale in a very public space.
Proceeds go to support the PD in whatever ways their budget doesn't cover. More signs = More stuff.

I copied our liaison a bunch of positive stuff off Nextdoor. Not all officers live in this hood, so they don't get work area threads in their home neighborhood feed.

Newest thing that seems to be gaining some momentum is to have a parade of appreciation.
Apparently there's an initial meeting about it tomorrow and the idea has support from city council.

Lots of folks seem ready for a celebrate-the-POlice day around here. :cool:

Beat Trash
06-21-2020, 01:52 PM
If you want to show support for police in your neighborhood, then by all means wave at them with all of your fingers extended at the same time. Say hello and if you're so inclined, say thanks. You never will know if that small gesture might help. But it could never hurt.

But don't let it stop there.

You are a registered voter and you have a voice. If you do not let your voice be known, then the assumption will be that you agree with defunding and even disbanding the police.

Start burning up the phone and the emails of your elected representatives. Let them know that you are concerned and that you will be watching how they react. And that you will definitely remember how they respond to this once it's time for their reelection.

If people in your circle of influence want to live in a socialist utopia like the highly successful new nation of CHOP, tell them there's a shortcut they can take. Suggest they hop a plane to Venezuela. Because socialism is working out so well there...

When you state your case, be intelligent, be articulate, be professional.

But most important, let your voice be heard...