PDA

View Full Version : There's no media bias (CNN story on cop doing his job)

LittleLebowski
06-18-2020, 12:40 PM
If you carefully parse this one, you'll conclude the cop was absolutely legit and doing his job properly. Words fail me. Let me know when the GoFundMe for this incident kicks off. Note "the crowd gathering around the officer." I bet you money if he had tried to arrest a kid, he would have been assaulted.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/16/us/georgia-clayton-county-teens-police-video/index.html

When Shanelle Ladd spotted a group of black teenagers with their hands up in front of police, she parked her car and started recording.

"Please, sir. They are kids," she shouted at the top of her voice, telling a Clayton County police officer. "Why you got a gun out?"

Ladd's video of the Monday encounter in Jonesboro, Georgia, has circulated on social media, renewing demands for change from community members, including rapper T.I., amid a nationwide debate over racial justice and police brutality in the wake of George Floyd's death.

rd62
06-18-2020, 12:50 PM
Maybe part of the problem is the "Community Leaders" (i.e. rapper T.I.) have convictions for drugs, assault, and weapons violations?

HCountyGuy
06-18-2020, 01:03 PM
Thankfully the chief in this case is backing his officer 100%.

blues
06-18-2020, 01:14 PM
"Deliberate ignorance" is no excuse.

Once again, facts just don't matter to those who have a preconceived agenda and narrative at the ready.

UNK
06-18-2020, 01:27 PM
Expect more of individuals interfering with police in the line of duty. Ive seen it brought up on social media as a reason to train with a pistol and more recently here in a video posted in the meme thread.
Actually on the social media post I asked them point blank if that was the message they were sending but never got a reply.

Heres the video I mentioned. At the 2:00 min mark. Its not an in your face statement but whether implied, or stated its the same message. IMO

https://youtu.be/WUF2kY24uFQ

Wondering Beard
06-18-2020, 01:49 PM

Once again, facts just don't matter to those who have mean to push a preconceived agenda and narrative at the ready.

FIFY

JRB
06-18-2020, 04:06 PM
Same old CNN bullshit. TI's bullshit toward the end, though, got my blood boiling.

"They have white boys, they got real rifles they go hunting, every day, every week with their grandparents and parents. They aren't being held at gunpoint."

One of my oldest friends, a guy I've known since middle school, is an Albuquerque PD Officer and was a beat cop for almost 14 years before his current assignment. On his first 'hot' call during OJT so long ago, the call was four white males in body armor with 'assault rifles' approaching a strip mall. Him and his TO were the closest ones there, and stepped up to go 2v4 and only his TO had a long gun at that point since he was fresh out of the academy. They hauled ass there anyway.

And thank fucking god, it was just four dumbass high schoolers in airsoft shit thinking they were going to play some LARP Cawa-dooty in the alleyway behind the strip mall. Thank god also that those kids realized the depth of shit they'd almost stepped in and complied fully. I saw pictures they took of the airsoft guns, and the attention to detail with some of those higher end models is astonishing. One was an XM177E2 clone that's only detail flaw was that it looked too *new* to be real, otherwise, the markings, controls, etc all 100% accurate to life. No orange tips of course "We thought they looked stupid" those kids said.

My friend couldn't sleep for more than a week because all he could think about was how keenly he felt the trigger slack takeup in his Glock 17, and the sight picture he had on that kid in that instant before that 6ft1in 'kid' realized he was about to get shot and dropped his airsoft rifle.

But nooooo, cops are just kid-murdering robots with no feelings and white kids never fuck up and get guns pointed at them too. Nope.

I'm thinking that at least one ridealong with a Police officer on a Friday night should be a graduation requirement for all high schoolers.

lwt16
06-19-2020, 07:36 AM
The truth of the matter is (and this will never be pushed by the media or those intent on chaos and mayhem) that in the last 24 years of being a cop I could have shot about 13 people and have been totally justified in doing so.

All sorts of people....not just certain races.

Thankfully my demeanor and attitude (some might say raw aggression) kept these individuals from soaking up rounds. I can be convincing when I need to be.

So I was de-escalating before it was cool.

My son was into airsoft and war games back in the day. After making sure he had protective gear I insisted that they play in the woods isolated from people calling in to the police that people were shooting one another. I also told him that if a squad car pulled up to instantly drop whatever was in his hands and should he ruin one of his airsoft guns doing so I would go buy him another one that afternoon.

He and I were out once trying out one of his new AK airsoft rifles and thought we were isolated on the Tennessee river. A county deputy pulled up with his overhead lights on and I placed that rifle on the ground and awaited his instructions.

Common sense on both sides will usually see you through.

I was running a scenario in our Virtra 300 simulator once with this very scenario and one of the kids on the screen turned towards me and aimed a rifle at me. I smoke checked him with a quickness and was called out on it by the instructor. I countered with how it's not common sense to point anything at a uniformed cop and that the shoot was good. One of the brass watching (as they were all there watching their new "toy" being utilized) agreed with me and chastised the instructor.

LE isn't a game. If I get a call today about a group of kids fighting and one of them has a gun they are all getting proned out at rifle point and if a crowd forms they are liable to learn the error of their ways when backup arrives. It's not personal or bias.....it's business.

Typically, quick use of regular force prevents deadly force. Not in every instance but more often than not.

Years ago I was dispatched to a call in the middle of the night of a woman pointing a handgun at someone in the heart of my old city. I arrived and sure enough, there's a gal in the middle of the street pointing a 1911 at another woman and she's screaming "IMMA SHOOT YOU B&&^H!"

I fly out of the car with my department Remmy 870 with a 14 inch barrel and rack a round while doing so. I was going to dump a load of #4 into her about the time I saw the street light glint off the slide of the pistol she was holding. I could see the little pull tabs on the rear of the slide and instantly recognized it as a Crossman BB pistol shaped like a 1911. So I indexed my trigger finger and told her in salty language to drop it or she was going to quickly die.

She did so and I arrested her without too much trouble. She later told me that she was convinced I would follow through with a blast from that shotgun had she not dropped the BB gun. It ended up being two prostitutes arguing over something silly.

The public never hears about that sort of stuff. The public also never hears about things like when I did CPR on a minority shooting victim in the middle of a hostile crowd. The paramedics pulled up and I was rocking this guy's chest in an attempt to save him. They told me later that they tried to put me in for an award but the department said since the kid died I wasn't deserving of one. No rap artists came out of the woodwork to thank me either. Nobody but the kid's family seemed to care one iota that I cared enough to try to save him.

Doesn't really fit the narrative to show that body cam footage of an old cop trying to save a kid dying in the hood. Heck, these days it's counterproductive to do so.

Regards.

Joe S
06-19-2020, 07:50 AM
Doesn't really fit the narrative to show that body cam footage of an old cop trying to save a kid dying in the hood. Heck, these days it's counterproductive to do so.

I would think this would be the smartest PR move any PD could be doing right now. If you email it to every media outlet and no one wants to run it, so what? That's what social media is for. You could run it on every single platform, and people would notice.

lwt16
06-19-2020, 07:59 AM
I would think this would be the smartest PR move any PD could be doing right now. If you email it to every media outlet and no one wants to run it, so what? That's what social media is for. You could run it on every single platform, and people would notice.

Nobody ever accused PD admin types of making smart moves.....particularly when the officer on the screen is not exactly known for drinking the company Kool Aid. In their defense, the video is not pleasant and you wouldn't want to subject the family to that again and again.

The family appreciated it and it was good practice of skills that I learned in a private CPR/stop the bleed certification class done on my own time. I knew it was a long shot but I figured someone loved that kid and I had to try.

I don't need nor want recognition for it. The "street cred" I get from the paramedics when they roll up on hot scenes ever since that day is thanks enough.

Regards.

SCCY Marshal
06-19-2020, 07:59 AM
...I did CPR on a...shooting victim in the middle of a hostile crowd. The paramedics pulled up and I was rocking this guy's chest in an attempt to save him. They told me later that they tried to put me in for an award but the department said since the kid died I wasn't deserving of one...Nobody but the kid's family seemed to care one iota that I cared enough to try to save him...

Fuck your brass, you did the Lord's work. Rest of my vitriolic and profane rant redacted.

lwt16
06-19-2020, 08:02 AM
Fuck your brass, you did the Lord's work. Rest of my vitriolic and profane rant redacted.

If He is happy with me and my efforts over the years, then I am truly blessed beyond words.

Joe S
06-19-2020, 08:20 AM
Nobody ever accused PD admin types of making smart moves.....particularly when the officer on the screen is not exactly known for drinking the company Kool Aid. In their defense, the video is not pleasant and you wouldn't want to subject the family to that again and again.

The family appreciated it and it was good practice of skills that I learned in a private CPR/stop the bleed certification class done on my own time. I knew it was a long shot but I figured someone loved that kid and I had to try.

I don't need nor want recognition for it. The "street cred" I get from the paramedics when they roll up on hot scenes ever since that day is thanks enough.

Regards.

Understood. Thank you, from me. When my old man went, the EMTs worked on him for a long time, even though there was very little hope, given the state he was in, his medical history, etc. His wife stopped them once she realized that. They were otherwise going to just keep going.

More generally, aside from your specific instance, I think the idea (releasing body cam footage of "good" outcomes) is a good one.

Tamara
06-19-2020, 08:27 AM

Sufficiently advanced ignorance is indistinguishable from malice.

Greg
06-19-2020, 08:33 AM
CNN is staffed by hysterical woke sissybitches.

blues
06-19-2020, 08:53 AM
Sufficiently advanced ignorance is indistinguishable from malice.

It, (malice), comes in many guises. We are soon to learn more about its polymorphism.