PDA

View Full Version : Robo-calls

NEPAKevin
06-17-2020, 03:32 PM
Just got one with a very robotic dude telling me that "law enforcement has informed them to suspend my SS#..." I hung up before it occurred to me to inquire if this means I no longer have to pay FICA. Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto. :)

Duelist
06-17-2020, 05:57 PM
Been getting them lately about warranties on cars. They must not know all both of my cars are Olde.

Greg
06-17-2020, 06:08 PM
I’d like to take a Louisville Slugger to the assheads that inflicted these calls on us.

LittleLebowski
06-17-2020, 06:23 PM
Just buy a robocalls call blocking app; NomoRobo or Hiya. It's the only way.

awp_101
06-17-2020, 07:06 PM
I’d like to take a Louisville Slugger to the assheads that inflicted these calls on us.
That wouldn't do anything but give you the reputation of being an inconsiderate pendejo. Oh, wait...

I thought nuking them from orbit was the only way? Or is that just the only way to be sure?

Damn, even I'm getting fed up with my jokes. I'm about to put myself on ignore....

trailrunner
06-17-2020, 07:32 PM
When I get robocalls calls to tell me that the warranty on my car is expired, I have to laugh. I bought it three months after 9-11, and it's been out of warranty since Bush was president.

Stephanie B
06-17-2020, 08:07 PM

You are far more merciful than I. I’d go full-medieval...

Stephanie B
06-17-2020, 08:08 PM

On my cell, a caller who is mot in my contacts list goes straight to voicemail.

JodyH
06-17-2020, 08:10 PM

I've received robo-calls from myself on my cell.

Stephanie B
06-17-2020, 08:11 PM
Been getting them lately about warranties on cars. They must not know all both of my cars are Olde.
Same here. If our cars were people, one would be old enough to buy handguns. The other would have a learner’s permit.

Rick R
06-17-2020, 08:16 PM

I have a ringtone called “Ignore” that I made years ago when you could build your own. Everyone on my Contacts list has a custom ringtone. The rest of the planet is on “Ignore” and can leave a message that I delete at my leisure and block their number.

Jim Watson
06-17-2020, 08:19 PM
Me, too.
I get blank looks when I say I know who is calling.

RJ
06-17-2020, 08:24 PM
1) Activate ‘Do not Disturb’ on your phone.

2) set DND to start at 11:01 AM and end at 11:00 AM (or 23:59), daily.

3) You will only receive calls if a) caller is in your contact list or b) calls twice in 60 seconds.

4) Win

This approach has worked for me for over five years now.

BehindBlueI's
06-17-2020, 09:00 PM
If he can get a live person, my son tries to sell them sponsorships for his (imaginary) lawnmower racing team.

beenalongtime
06-18-2020, 01:06 AM
I just spent the $40 for another years phone service. I don't answer unknown numbers, pretty easy. (also on the do not call list)
Now spam/phishing bs on the other hand, that has increased a great deal in the last six months.

NEPAKevin
06-18-2020, 12:22 PM
If he can get a live person, my son tries to sell them sponsorships for his (imaginary) lawnmower racing team.

Many, many, years ago at work, I answered the phone and a woman with a husky voice says "Would you be interested in purchasing video tapes of beautiful women engaging in adult relationships?" Without missing a beat, I put my hand over the receiver, looked over at my coworker, a retired Vietnam vet, seasoned over the road truck driver, and self admitted demented practitioner of extreme mental cruelty, and said "Big Ed, it's for you." then handed him the phone. That was a good morning.