PDA

View Full Version : My P30 with NP3+

Sauer Koch
06-16-2020, 07:32 PM
For those interested, I sent it off to Wright Armory back on 12-10-19, and just got it back last Wednesday. I've heard that was a normal wait time even for Robar, but Debbie at CT told me on the phone their turn around time, once they receive the parts, it 4-6 weeks, so the rest of it is shipping, disassembly & reassembly, which I assume can vary from one dealer to the next, although there are only five right now, including Cajun Gun Works, which only deals with CZ.

As far as the NP3 itself, holy shit, what a beautiful finish! IMO, it looks just like bead-blasted SS, but slicker, due to the impregnated Teflon. I got the Norton Special which is all of the frame internals, the slide, and all internals, along with one mag. If you have a non-SS gun, but would like it to resemble SS, this is your finish. That being said, the wait was brutal, especially considering that I was initially told 4-6 wks. Overall, in terms of my level of satisfaction with the NP3+ itself, I'm VERY happy/impressed! As far as WA handling my gun, and the overall service they provided, not so much. To be fair, on the phone, and by email, they were professional and courteous, but to make a long story short, if I want to have NP3 applied to another gun, I will use another dealer. I'll share the details by PM if anyone cares to know, considering you may have thought of using them.
I will be shooting it tomorrow, so I hope it functions fine. A range report to follow.

If you've been thinking about getting NP3/+, it's definitely as great as what I have always heard, but hopefully the wait times with the other dealers, at this point in time, are better than my 6 month wait.

TicTacticalTimmy
06-16-2020, 07:56 PM
Looks really slick.

Did they coat all the fire control parts? Do you notice a difference in the triggerpull?

What is NP3+?

Sauer Koch
06-16-2020, 08:44 PM
Looks really slick.

Did they coat all the fire control parts? Do you notice a difference in the triggerpull?

What is NP3+?

https://coatingtechnologiesllc.com/processes/np3/

About the trigger parts; yes, all of the slide & frame internals were coated. I was concerned that the slickness of the finish would make the trigger pull weight feel much lighter, but honestly, it doesn't feel any lighter, or heavier, and I guess the pre-travel movement does feel a little smoother.

About the feel of the NP3...I guess the best adjective is 'VERY smooth'.

flyrodr
06-16-2020, 09:11 PM
I have a P2000SK Lite LEM that Robar coated in NP3+ as well as stippling the grip. The coating was really classy looking and super slick (almost too much so for racking the gun). The stippling was great too. At the time, Robar said they'd coat all the parts they could, which didn't include springs and other tiny parts.

Nice looking P30!

Sauer Koch
06-16-2020, 10:59 PM
The coating was really classy looking and super slick (almost too much so for racking the gun). Nice looking P30!

Thank you. Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see how difficult it’ll be To grip the slide with sweaty hands, during an outdoor course in the summer.

Mark D
06-16-2020, 11:11 PM
Good looking pistol! I've considered sending a P2000 to get a similar treatment. I've always wanted a stainless USPc, but they're rare as hen's teeth and priced to match in my area.

I've wondered if the coating may detract from reliability by changing the tolerances. Does the coating change the dimensions of the parts?

farscott
06-17-2020, 04:56 AM
What is NP3+?

NP3 Plus is NP3 over a base coating (whose specs are not public) to increase the corrosion resistance of the resulting duplex finish. Based on my experience, NP3 corrosion resistance is more than sufficient, so the base coat is not needed.

CraigS
06-17-2020, 07:11 AM
I am not surprised you like it. I have a couple of NP3 trigger job in a bag from LTT in my Beretta 92s. Several of them have SS slides and the NP3 is as close to an exact match as one could expect from two completely different processes. I love the slippery feel. After you have shot it some please comment on whether it makes cleaning the gun easier.

beenalongtime
06-17-2020, 08:20 AM
Was the virus/shutdown, used as a reason 6 weeks became 6 months?

Sauer Koch
06-17-2020, 01:15 PM
Good looking pistol! I've considered sending a P2000 to get a similar treatment. I've always wanted a stainless USPc, but they're rare as hen's teeth and priced to match in my area. I've wondered if the coating may detract from reliability by changing the tolerances. Does the coating change the dimensions of the parts?

To the naked eye, an according to their (CT) info, it does not. The coating is thin enough, that it doesn't look like it's been coated, meaning, the roll marks are as definitive and sharp as they were originally. So, if they can coat the firing pin, it must be thin enough for it to function properly. I've never heard of any reliability issues, and Robar was around a long time.

I am not surprised you like it. I have a couple of NP3 trigger job in a bag from LTT in my Beretta 92s. Several of them have SS slides and the NP3 is as close to an exact match as one could expect from two completely different processes. I love the slippery feel. After you have shot it some please comment on whether it makes cleaning the gun easier.

Yes, the quality of the finish is astounding. So much so, that if I just showed my gun to someone, they'd say, "that's a nice two-tone SS P30". It's so well executed, it meets or exceeds the quality of a factory finish, no question! *hopefully this iPhone close up, will show how sharp the roll marks remain after NP3. The best compliment I can give, is that it looks like a factory P30 with a SS slide, which don't exist.

Partly. The transition from Robar being gone, to the new dealers was rough, and there was a huge rush of business, so I assume there were kinks to work out, and I had a feeling sending mine in at the very beginning might be a bad idea, but I went for it. I hope it's gotten better, but not sure. I spoke with Debbie at CT, and she was very nice, and said that their current turnaround time is about 4-6 weeks. So that means the other time is getting it torn down and shipped off, and back together. So, if WA is very busy in general, that means long wait times.

flyrodr
06-17-2020, 02:13 PM
To the naked eye, an according to their (CT) info, it does not. The coating is thin enough, that it doesn't look like it's been coated, meaning, the roll marks are as definitive and sharp as they were originally. So, if they can coat the firing pin, it must be thin enough for it to function properly. I've never heard of any reliability issues, and Robar was around a long time.

I'll second that. My P2000SK looks like a satin-finished stainless steel slide. No buildup in the roll marks or corners, no functioning issues, and the NP3+ has held up very well.

I wouldn't hesitate to have another one coated with it.

Sauer Koch
06-17-2020, 11:42 PM
Im happy to report that I shot 150 flawless rounds through it today, 100 AE FMJ & 50 HST, and POA/POI seemed fine.

Hemiram
06-18-2020, 04:53 AM
Very nice!

I want to get at least one of my guns done in NP3+. I really liked the ones I've shot with it. I just don't have anything with enough wear on it to make it worth doing, or the NP3+ would be more than the gun is worth!

Bucky
06-18-2020, 06:08 AM
That’s really nice looking.

farscott
06-18-2020, 08:07 AM

Going back to the mid-1990s when I first started using NP3, Robar's turnaround time was always slow, and Robar and CTI were basically right next to each other. Turnaround times were always three to six months. Back in 1997 or so, I had Jack Weigand do some work on a SP-101, got it back from him, and sent it to Robar. Weigand's turnaround time beat Robar by months.

My belief is CTI did the plating work once there were enough guns and parts for a run and when there was a lull in aerospace/automotive orders. The volume of firearms plated is insignificant to the number of aerospace and automotive parts plated.

Sauer Koch
06-18-2020, 08:31 AM
Going back to the mid-1990s when I first started using NP3, Robar's turnaround time was always slow, and Robar and CTI were basically right next to each other. Turnaround times were always three to six months. Back in 1997 or so, I had Jack Weigand do some work on a SP-101, got it back from him, and sent it to Robar. Weigand's turnaround time beat Robar by months.

My belief is CTI did the plating work once there were enough guns and parts for a run and when there was a lull in aerospace/automotive orders. The volume of firearms plated is insignificant to the number of aerospace and automotive parts plated.

Yes, I've heard this several times, and believe it's the primary issue. The only way I can see the wait times improving, is if CTI decided to have a smaller 'gun operation' which is completely separate from the Aerospace aspect. But, unless there is some drastic increase in demand for NP3, that'll never happen.

I spoke with Allen at Wright Armory, and he said he was at Robar for a long time, and they have to have x amount of parts before they can send them off to CTI, and as you stated, they get done 'when it's convenient for them.

So...if you're considering sending your primary EDC gun, you better have a vetted backup, and assume that your primary will be gone for 6 months. Again, the NP3 is amazing, but the process of getting it done is not.

Sauer Koch
06-18-2020, 09:05 AM
One of the issues I had mentioned, that I didn't openly discuss in my initial post, was that my P30 was a stock V1 when I shipped it off, but when I got it back, the previous 1.75# pre-travel weight, was now noticeably heavier. After looking at the trigger return spring, and comparing it to my wife's stock P30SK, also stock V1, I could see the obvious difference in the two springs. Mine had thicker square wire, and hers was small round wire.

So I sent pics of this to James Williamson at Teufelshund Tactical, and he confirmed that it was now 'heavy LEM'. Looking at the spring chart from HK Pro, it must be a V2 (heavy)?

I'm really not sure what I will do about this, if anything. They told me they had lost my trigger pin, but didn't say anything about the spring being different. An interesting situation.
Although 150 rounds isn't a lot, my gun ran perfectly yesterday, and the heavier pre-travel didn't annoy me, so I guess I'll give it more time and see how it goes, and decide if I'll keep it, or go back to V1.

LockedBreech
06-18-2020, 09:23 AM
That is real pretty. I've always loved the look of NP3, just wondered if it would feel too slippery/oily.

Sauer Koch
06-18-2020, 09:33 AM
That is real pretty. I've always loved the look of NP3, just wondered if it would feel too slippery/oily.

No doubt, it requires more grip strength to pull the slide back, than with the stock finish. It IS quite slick/smooth, and I guess that will annoy some people more than others. It'll be interesting with sweaty hands, outdoors...

GJM
06-18-2020, 10:11 AM
Robar did a great job applying NP3 to a P7M8 for me.

Given how good the OEM HE finish is, why mess with NP3?

UNM1136
06-18-2020, 10:42 AM
I have mentioned this a few times but in 1999 my mentor had his duty P220 NP3'd...

He shot almost 2k rounds through it without cleaning to make sure it was ready for duty, and cleaned the gun with a wet paper towel.

My retired duty 1911 will be going in the next year, and when I get my suppressed upper for my AR this year, the boltcarrier group will go before shot one gets fired. I am toying with getting the barrel with the pinned and welded muzzle brake/suppressor mount done as well.

pat

theJanitor
06-18-2020, 11:54 AM
Yes, the quality of the finish is astounding. So much so, that if I just showed my gun to someone, they'd say, "that's a nice two-tone SS P30". It's so well executed, it meets or exceeds the quality of a factory finish, no question!

In the past, the tone of the NP3 would vary from "stainless" to a light-ish gold. Robar would say that it depended on the freshness of the chemical tank, and how many sycles it had been through. This was years ago, when there were few add-on finishes for pistols

Sauer Koch
06-18-2020, 04:30 PM
Robar did a great job applying NP3 to a P7M8 for me.

Given how good the OEM HE finish is, why mess with NP3?

Honestly, I think the factory finish is very nice. I’ve been reading about the NP3 for a few years now, and I’ve always liked the look of stainless/black guns, so ‘what the hell’...yes, it was somewhat frivolous, as I didn’t need it, but it was just something I wanted, nothing more/less.

In the past, the tone of the NP3 would vary from "stainless" to a light-ish gold. Robar would say that it depended on the freshness of the chemical tank, and how many sycles it had been through. This was years ago, when there were few add-on finishes for pistols

No sign of a gold tint, I would not like that.

littlejerry
06-18-2020, 07:40 PM
I have mentioned this a few times but in 1999 my mentor had his duty P220 NP3'd...

He shot almost 2k rounds through it without cleaning to make sure it was ready for duty, and cleaned the gun with a wet paper towel.

My retired duty 1911 will be going in the next year, and when I get my suppressed upper for my AR this year, the boltcarrier group will go before shot one gets fired. I am toying with getting the barrel with the pinned and welded muzzle brake/suppressor mount done as well.

pat

I have a Sionics NP3 BCG and its awesome. Even suppressed, just spray it with CLP and wipe clean.

Chuck Whitlock
06-23-2020, 11:01 AM
I recently sent two factory BHP magazines to Wright for NP3+. I figured that the time was right, since I'm awaiting delivery of a Kramer holster for the pistol.

spacecoastbill
07-11-2020, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=Sauer Koch;1067887]For those interested, I sent it off to Wright Armory back on 12-10-19, and just got it back last Wednesday. I've heard that was a normal wait time even for Robar, but Debbie at CT told me on the phone their turn around time, once they receive the parts, it 4-6 weeks, so the rest of it is shipping, disassembly & reassembly, which I assume can vary from one dealer to the next, although there are only five right now, including Cajun Gun Works, which only deals with CZ.

That being said, the wait was brutal, especially considering that I was initially told 4-6 wks. Overall, in terms of my level of satisfaction with the NP3+ itself, I'm VERY happy/impressed! As far as WA handling my gun, and the overall service they provided, not so much. To be fair, on the phone, and by email, they were professional and courteous, but to make a long story short, if I want to have NP3 applied to another gun, I will use another dealer.
[QUOTE]

I have many guns done in NP3, with the first in 1995. Several P7M8/P7M13/P7M10, AR15, HK91, Glocks, Sigs.....

But this is the first time I used the new method of going thru a dealer. I found it really frustrating.

I disassembled everything on a Glock 36 and sent the parts to Wright Armory. They logged them in on 2/19/2020.
WA sent the parts to CTI on 3/13/2020. Knowing the CTI turn time I was not happy with the delay.

In the meantime I bought a Glock 19 slide from Suarez International they sent to CTI for NP3. I got that back in about 5 weeks.

I still dont have my G36 parts back, I asked WA to call CTI and get an ETA but I havent gotten a response.

5 months is more than enough time to have this done. There is no wait time for disassembly or reassembly, I only sent the parts.

spacecoastbill
07-11-2020, 05:34 PM
I'll share the details by PM if anyone cares to know, considering you may have thought of using them.

I dont think I can send you a PM now (Im new to the group)

Can you send me one with the info?

THANKS

spacecoastbill
07-11-2020, 05:39 PM
I recently sent two factory BHP magazines to Wright for NP3+. I figured that the time was right, since I'm awaiting delivery of a Kramer holster for the pistol.

You have plenty of time. to wait for the holster!

Im still waiting on a Glock slide and parts that Wright logged in on Feb 19.

WOLFIE
07-12-2020, 10:47 PM
I have had four handguns finished in NP3. I love the finish. I should have kept the guns just because of the finish.

spacecoastbill
07-14-2020, 03:44 PM
Another reason NOT to use Wright Armory.

I finally got the notice my parts were ready after 5 months.

I noticed they had a $25 ship charge to go 35 miles. Here is their reply as well as my responses to their attempt at justification:

> There are a few factors that go into the shipping cost.
>
> 1. When a complete gun gets shipped in it's fairly easy to have the package contents ship in a similar size on the return trip as the gun gets reassembled and padded as it came in and that's it.
> When a gun is sent in for refinishing in pieces its a different story. After coating the pieces require more wrapping and padding to ensure they do not get scratched during transit,
> which increases the dimensions of the return shipping package which in turn increases the shipping cost.

The dimensions are not going to be significant enough of a change.

> 2. Even though this shipment does not include the frame all of our shipments are required by both fedex as well as the ATF to be sent direct signature required, which is an additional charge.

Being as none of these parts constitute a firearm by ATF standards, and are parts, thats not the case.

> 3. We purchase insurance for the total replacement value of the contents, so that in the extreme case that your package goes missing you have enough of a payout to replace the gun and the coating.
> You paid us $270 for the coating and currently you are going to pay ~ $600 before tax for a glock, so we insured it for $900.

Well, no. I dont pay that, I get them either blue label or directly from Glock, and that price is for a complete firearm.

>
> You are more than welcome to pick up this order or any future orders in person if you would like to save on the shipping costs.

Not only can I not do that due to medical reasons, the ship costs should have been expressly listed and I would have probably used another dealer to send these to CTI.

>
> Hopefully that helps to relieve any of the confusion it sounds like you may have had about what goes into the shipping cost.
There is no confusion, it is way too much.

spacecoastbill
07-14-2020, 05:17 PM
I recommend that you use anyone OTHER than Wright Firearms.

Your payment has been received, and your package will ship out today. I appreciate your analysis of our shipping processes and our relationship with our carrier as it pertains to our industry, although very creative it is incorrect. Shipping costs are not fixed so they cannot be "expressly listed". It sounds like you will be much happier in the future using one of the other CT dealers. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors! Please stay safe and stay healthy! Kind Regards, Brian Wright Owner

Screwball
07-14-2020, 06:29 PM
I asked WA about doing an alloy frame (SIG P938), as I know the anodizing must be chemically stripped prior to plating. Their answer did not give me too much confidence to send it out... so I will hold that until I find someone I’d trust to do the prep.

Robar did two shotguns and an Airweight revolver for me... NP3+ on all. Robar did good work. When the stripped the anodizing on my 642, they had to redo the serial number on the butt since it lightened up too much. Was good because I originally had Hogue grips... and the stirrup scratched the area up.

https://i.imgur.com/rjRKQWQ.jpg

If it isn’t a long gun or an alloy frame, I use CCR. Smaller shop, but do great work and stand behind their work. My CZ SP-01 will be heading that way. If they can do my TAC-14, it will also head down there.

kihnspiracy
07-14-2020, 07:30 PM
The finish on your P30 came out really well.

Sauer Koch
07-14-2020, 09:24 PM
The finish on your P30 came out really well.

Thank you. Yes, I’m very impressed with the end result, in spite of the process of getting it done, which is equally unpleasant; at least it was for me.

Screwball...I have full confidence in CTI...they do amazing work. The ‘in between‘ process is another story. If and when I send off another gun, all I know is it will NOT be through Wright. The evidence against them seems to keep building, but use who you like. Robar had many years of experience with this process, and it’s a shame that is gone, although some of their employees work for Wright, that doesn’t necessarily mean the Quality of the overall service will be the same.
On the West coast, the next option is Vang Comp.

I know Bruce Gray uses CCR, so I’m assuming their finish is very nice as well. I’m not sure what is different between the two companies and their finishes?

Sauer Koch
07-17-2020, 09:36 PM
I spoke with WA today, and they said the most likely scenario, is that I have a Medium TRS, since that it all they have in the shop, besides the Light springs. So, this means I now have a V4 LEM. I'll continue to shoot it more, and see what I think of it; I just wanted to know what Variant I had, knowing the spring was different.

spacecoastbill
07-19-2020, 01:53 PM
I asked WA about doing an alloy frame (SIG P938), as I know the anodizing must be chemically stripped prior to plating. Their answer did not give me too much confidence to send it out... so I will hold that until I find someone I’d trust to do the prep.

Robar did two shotguns and an Airweight revolver for me... NP3+ on all. Robar did good work. When the stripped the anodizing on my 642, they had to redo the serial number on the butt since it lightened up too much. Was good because I originally had Hogue grips... and the stirrup scratched the area up.

https://i.imgur.com/rjRKQWQ.jpg

If it isn’t a long gun or an alloy frame, I use CCR. Smaller shop, but do great work and stand behind their work. My CZ SP-01 will be heading that way. If they can do my TAC-14, it will also head down there.

As far as the NP3 goes, send it to CTI (Robar is now closed). Here is a photo of my 938.

If I were you I would use someone other than WA. There are several dealers across the Country that deal with the finishing to CTI.

Chuck Whitlock
01-17-2021, 03:55 AM

I received notice on 12/30 that my magazines were ready, and I unboxed them Monday 01/11/21.

While the wait was long, I like the result.

Sauer Koch
01-17-2021, 11:11 AM
I received notice on 12/30 that my magazines were ready, and I unboxed them Monday 01/11/21.

While the wait was long, I like the result.

Wow, only 7 months!

To me, it's a very fascinating finish, enjoy!