PDA

View Full Version : S&W did a GUD!

Crow Hunter
06-16-2020, 10:14 AM
I recently traded into a NIB S&W 66-8 4.25" barrel DCC serial number prefix.

OMG.

I honestly have never felt such a smooth and just damn sexy trigger in my lifetime. It even trounces my older well used 686-4 (which is in the process of being sold). There is no comparison to the trigger on the 66-8 2.75 that I had a few months ago and sold. It was smooth but stupid heavy. The guy I sold it to doesn't mind since he only shoots it SA anyway.:rolleyes:

I don't have a trigger pull gauge but it feels like an honest sub 10# trigger. It is light enough that as a "stupid gun trick" I even held the gun upside down and pulled the trigger DA with my pinky finger multiple times and I don't have massive strong gorilla paws.:p

Since it should get better as it wears in from dry firing and because it is so nice (darned near sensual) to dryfire, I am thoroughly excited to see how nice it gets.

So BRAVO S&W, now if you would just get rid that soul leaking hole.:(

Wingate's Hairbrush
06-16-2020, 11:14 AM
At minimum, confirm the strain screw is fully tightened. You may also want to check that the parts are original and haven't been worked on.

A modern, factory S&W double action trigger just isn't as described without something either good (professional, quality revolver smith tune) or possibly not (loosened strain screw, spring swap, bubba 'smithing, etc.).

03RN
06-16-2020, 12:03 PM
My 66-8 has the nicest trigger ive felt on any smith for a long time.

I did minimal stoning on all sliding parts but it was still good before that. Now DA is 8.5lbs

Crow Hunter
06-16-2020, 12:31 PM
At minimum, confirm the strain screw is fully tightened. You may also want to check that the parts are original and haven't been worked on.

A modern, factory S&W double action trigger just isn't as described without something either good (professional, quality revolver smith tune) or possibly not (loosened strain screw, spring swap, bubba 'smithing, etc.).

That was one of the first things I checked when I got it home. I also popped the sideplate off to make sure all the bits and pieces were actually there and it was dry as a bone just like it left the factory.

I guess I just got lucky for once. In the last 3 years I have bought 5 new S&W revolvers and 2 of them had to return to the mothership. Maybe I have some good Karma for once. Maybe someone from the Performance Center was bored and grabbed this one off the line to play with?

Of course, it could also be the harbinger of the end of the world too. Hell freezes over, pigs fly, awesome S&W factory trigger, that sort of thing.:D

Crow Hunter
06-16-2020, 12:46 PM
My 66-8 has the nicest trigger ive felt on any smith for a long time.

I did minimal stoning on all sliding parts but it was still good before that. Now DA is 8.5lbs

If I happen to run across another 2.75" with a trigger like this one, I am going to snatch it up too.

I never realized how nice these triggers could be I guess.

Gingerkid
06-17-2020, 08:40 AM
When the new models first came out I purchased one and at the time my wife and I were big fans of the show “Shootout Lane.” The show followed the Miculek family and to some extent Clark’s custom gun.

Anyway. I sent mine to Clark’s for an action job and fiber optic front sight. They smoothed/rounded the trigger nicely and installed a overtravel stop as well.

The action is superb... just great. Price was reasonable and turnaround time great. And I figured Clark has to be a good choice for revolver work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk