PDA

View Full Version : eBay employees facing federal charges for harassment

LittleLebowski
06-15-2020, 06:11 PM
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/06/15/ebay-employees-arrested-u-s-attorney-andrew-lelling-cyberstalking/

Six former eBay executives and employees are facing federal charges after they allegedly led a cyberstalking campaign against a Natick couple they believed was critical of the company in an online ecommerce newsletter.

U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling said the eBay employees’ harassment included sending the couple “disturbing deliveries” that included a bloody pig mask, a box of live cockroaches, and a funeral wreath. The employees also allegedly sent anonymous threatening messages and traveled to Massachusetts to conduct “covert surveillance” of the victims.

JRB
06-15-2020, 06:22 PM
EBay needs a 'Senior Manager of Special Operations' for a 'Global Security Team'?
And 'Intelligence Analysts'?

What in the pink painted purple feathered fuck? Ebay can't unfuck rampant abuse of Paypal policies and chargebacks to scam sellers, but they've got a fucking 'Global Security Team'?

blues
06-15-2020, 06:35 PM
EBay needs a 'Senior Manager of Special Operations' for a 'Global Security Team'?

What in the pink painted purple feathered fuck? Ebay can't unfuck rampant abuse of Paypal policies and chargebacks to scam sellers, but they've got a fucking 'Global Security Team'?

When they say "operators are standing by", now you know what they mean.

Be careful no one is HALO jumping into your area of operation tonight.

mtnbkr
06-15-2020, 06:36 PM

Not at all unusual for online/cyber oriented businesses.

The fraud-related issues you mention would belong to a different team.

Chris

JRB
06-15-2020, 07:07 PM
Not at all unusual for online/cyber oriented businesses.

The fraud-related issues you mention would belong to a different team.

Chris

I can wrap my head around having someone responsible for physical security of actual business campuses/buildings etc, I can wrap my head around even having a decently serious security team for each site too. Global security team, got it.
I'm just struggling to understand why eBay would need 'intelligence analysts' or 'special operations' unless they're using those words and have no idea what that usually means.

MistWolf
06-15-2020, 07:14 PM
...I'm just struggling to understand why eBay would need 'intelligence analysts' or 'special operations'...

How else will they know who to send bloody pig masks and live cockroaches to?

mtnbkr
06-15-2020, 07:56 PM
I can wrap my head around having someone responsible for physical security of actual business campuses/buildings etc, I can wrap my head around even having a decently serious security team for each site too. Global security team, got it.
I'm just struggling to understand why eBay would need 'intelligence analysts' or 'special operations' unless they're using those words and have no idea what that usually means.

They have somewhat different meanings in the private industry InfoSec world. It's safe to say corporations do gather intelligence related to themselves, their customers, etc that is used to influence security strategy, responses, and so on. In my corner of that world, our customers have an expectation we, as a security provider, will gather intelligence about threats against them (specific and general threats) and present that to them in the form of reports, alerts, and contextualization to other feeds. "Special Operations" can be as benign as, well, special operational teams or it could be something more targeted such as tiger teams that respond to specific threats or events.

eBay being what it is (big target), they probably keep an eye on a variety of sources ("Dark Web" and various black hat sites, threat intel feeds, etc) and manage that intel via the "intelligence analysts". The "Special Operations" team may be tasked with taking intel of specific criteria and developing an appropriate response in the form of additional security controls, enhanced monitoring of their estate, maybe targeted configurations, and so on. They certainly aren't fast roping into the data center or anything like that. :)

Chris

holmes168
06-15-2020, 08:00 PM
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/06/15/ebay-employees-arrested-u-s-attorney-andrew-lelling-cyberstalking/

Who has the time to sit around and dream up sending stuff like this to another person. I’m so busy at work- I am exhausted daily.

awp_101
06-15-2020, 08:03 PM
They certainly aren't fast roping into the data center or anything like that. :)
***awp101 shelves the idea of putting in his 2 weeks at his current job in order to pursue a career in eBay special ops...***

hickrev
06-15-2020, 10:03 PM
They certainly aren't fast roping into the data center or anything like that. :)

Chris

Well, I mean, not with that attitude...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blues
06-15-2020, 10:10 PM
"We're from eBay and we're here to help!"

beenalongtime
06-15-2020, 11:42 PM
https://youtu.be/Atks5rRqQkg

Stephanie B
06-16-2020, 08:56 AM

More to the point, if they prove the allegations against those assholes, I would be in favor of welding them into an iron box and dropping them out past the 100 fathom curve. Considering how high up those alleged perps were in the company, I would not be surprised to learn that Devin Wenig, the CEO was involved.

It'll be interesting to see if one of the accused flips on Wenig.

MistWolf
06-16-2020, 12:32 PM
Ebay Special Operations
Current Bid: $250,000
Number of Bids: 214
Place Bid-

NEPAKevin
06-16-2020, 12:54 PM
Lelling said the Natick couple serves as editor and publisher for an online newsletter that covers ecommerce companies. According to prosecutors, members of eBay’s executive leadership team followed the newsletter and took issue with the content and anonymous comments under the stories.